DISCRIMINATION in the GUBBERMANT

Minimum moderation and heated debates.
kiryan
Sojourner

DISCRIMINATION in the GUBBERMANT

Postby kiryan » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:04 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/0 ... 72168.html

The cuts fall with marked impact on African Americans such as Mathis. Nearly 21 percent of the nation’s working black adults hold government jobs, as compared to some 17 percent of white workers and 15 percent of Latinos. Public agencies are the single largest employer for black men, and the second most common for black women.

== ok at first I thought holy crap African Americans make up 21% of government jobs, then I realized it was 21% of the working ones. Given that 33% or so are in jail or were in jail...

The loss of government paychecks erodes one of the great equalizing forces at play in the American economy for more than a century. A government job has long offered a pathway for American Americans to sidestep discrimination that has impeded progress in the private sector, where social networks often determine who has a shot at the best jobs, say experts.

== did you realize government jobs are a great equalizing force? All this time I thought they were just necessary for the government to function.

the city saw its revenues decline as development fees fell off, along with sales and property taxes.

By March it became clear. The city faced a budget shortfall of $130 million, and given that Houston is legally required to balance its budget, cuts became virtually unavoidable. The majority of Houston’s government workers are black, so those cuts would almost certainly fall heavily on the African American community.

== next they'll be claiming its racism when you have to balance your books if it has a disproportionate impact on a racial minority.

Many think the preponderance of African Americans in the government workforce makes them a useful target for some politicians –- particularly Republicans, cognizant that the black vote trends overwhelmingly Democratic.

"In some states I think it’s a power play, pure and simple," said Lee Saunders, secretary treasurer of the American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees, a public sector union, and the son of a union bus driver. "In some sort of sick way, some of these ultra conservatives think that if you hurt African Americans and they are laid off and can't find work that there may be negative implications for the 2012 presidential election. If you have a lot of people who are frustrated, maybe it is going to be very hard to get your base out to vote."

== buahahahhahahaha of course.
Corth
Sojourner

Re: DISCRIMINATION in the GUBBERMANT

Postby Corth » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:46 am

I never realized that the redistribution of wealth is accomplished in part by who gets hired to work for the government. Interesting.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.

Return to “Current Events & Politics”