Guy pees in the drinking water

Minimum moderation and heated debates.
kiryan
Sojourner

Guy pees in the drinking water

Postby kiryan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:14 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/06/2 ... m-gallons/

Oregon's biggest city is sending 8 million gallons of treated drinking water down the drain.

== thats a lot of water

Portland officials defended the decision Monday, saying they didn't want to send city residents water laced, however infinitesimally, with urine.

Public health officials say, however, that urine is sterile in healthy people and that the urine in the reservoir was so diluted -- perhaps a half pint in millions of gallons -- that it posed little risk.

== true, but its gross

The reservoirs are drained twice a year for cleaning, and workers have found animal carcasses, paint cans, construction material, fireworks debris and even the plastic bags people use to scoop up after their dogs, said David Shaff, administrator of the city water bureau.

== but what you don't know won't hurt you. lol

Even so, Shaff said, the yuck factor was the primary reason for the decision to drain the 8 million gallons, at a cost of less than $8,000 to treat it as sewage.

In addition to the sewage charge, Shaff said, the flushed water is worth $28,000.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/06/2 ... z1PvK29H9x

== $36,000 for your peace of mind. maybe they should've just drank it. although, there can be nasty stuff in pee the can be a public health issue. They had the guy though they could've tested him.

City Commissioner Randy Leonard, who is in charge of the water bureau, defended the decision, citing a potential public health risk. He said he worried about the possibility of chlamydia or AIDS from blood in urine.

um... where are the liberals jumping all over this guy for this stupidity? Oh right, its a liberal state. AIDS in the water? They were all up in arms in the 80s telling us we couldn't get aids from kissing, now they let this comment pass by? BTW, you can get aids from chewing food with bleeding gums and then giving it to your kid to eat (yes it was some immigrant family, but I do the same thing too).

Nobody wants to drink pee, and I don't want to deal with the 100 people who would be unhappy that I'm serving them pee in their water," he said.

The Mount Hood watershed that supplies the city is brimming this spring, with 8 million gallons flowing through it about every half hour.

"If I lived in Texas, I might have had a different response," he said.

== ok well he used judgement. I guess in his judgement he had $36,000 to burn in his budget and $36,000 so he doesn't have to deal with 100 customers is worth it. Is there some part of you that goes... dude its your freaking job to deal with customers, irate or not? Still he did "nothing wrong" he did what could be defended and doing anything else might've gotten him fired or pushed out by some politician with some angry constitutents who decided to make a name for himself on this case. Nice system we live in. This is what happens when government is responsible for everything + court systems that have no common sense.

Return to “Current Events & Politics”