Topography of faith

Minimum moderation and heated debates.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner
Posts: 1294
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:11 pm
Location: Miami, FL

Topography of faith

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:57 pm

Pretty neat chart; shows religious affiliations in the US nationally and by state. Some surprises.
"There is one big rule in life - the things you worry about never happen, and the things that happen are never the ones you expect." - John Bellairs
kiryan
Sojourner
Posts: 7275
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2001 5:01 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA and Flagstaff, AZ
Contact:

Re: Topography of faith

Postby kiryan » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:57 pm

only the liberals will be surprised.

course the devil is in the details... I infrequently attend church, but I'm as resolute as I ever was. this survey probably counts me as a christian, but other surveys that peg christians at 25-50% wouldn't.
Kifle
Sojourner
Posts: 3830
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Huntington, IN USA
Contact:

Re: Topography of faith

Postby Kifle » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:24 pm

I don't see what's so surprising... Christianity is dominant, evangelical is higher in the South/Southeast, and Catholics are in higher density on the upper east and lower west coasts. It's seems pretty expected.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
kiryan
Sojourner
Posts: 7275
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2001 5:01 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA and Flagstaff, AZ
Contact:

Re: Topography of faith

Postby kiryan » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:26 pm

Check the threads, libs are constantly arguing here that christianity is irrelevant in the USA at < 50% of the population.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner
Posts: 1294
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:11 pm
Location: Miami, FL

Re: Topography of faith

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:31 pm

Kifle wrote:I don't see what's so surprising...


California surprised me, as did Kentucky and Tennessee. Plus it's nice to see graphic representations of statistics.
"There is one big rule in life - the things you worry about never happen, and the things that happen are never the ones you expect." - John Bellairs
Kifle
Sojourner
Posts: 3830
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Huntington, IN USA
Contact:

Re: Topography of faith

Postby Kifle » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:31 pm

kiryan wrote:Check the threads, libs are constantly arguing here that christianity is irrelevant in the USA at < 50% of the population.


I don't think I have ever seen that written. I've seen talks about the decline in christianity. I've seen talks about the decline in churchgoers, but never that Christianity is irrelevant. In fact, the most common annoyances from the liberals, libertarians, and moderates are that Christianity is too entwined in the US government due to it being the majority (>50%) rule -- that Christianity should not be the moral and ethical guide simple because the majority practice or believe the tenets of Christianity. So I'd say that this survey backs up what liberals, libertarians, and some moderates complain about.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Kifle
Sojourner
Posts: 3830
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Huntington, IN USA
Contact:

Re: Topography of faith

Postby Kifle » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:34 pm

Adriorn Darkcloak wrote:
Kifle wrote:I don't see what's so surprising...


California surprised me, as did Kentucky and Tennessee. Plus it's nice to see graphic representations of statistics.


You were surprised that Cali had one of the most diverse religious affiliations, and Kentucky and Tennessee both had a disproportionate weighting in favor of evangelical christianity and one of the lowest percentages of unaffiliated?
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
kiryan
Sojourner
Posts: 7275
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2001 5:01 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA and Flagstaff, AZ
Contact:

Re: Topography of faith

Postby kiryan » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:58 pm

I found Utah's mormon population of 58% interesting... 1-2% in most states, 58% in utah. Thats practically a theocracy!

i was also listening to the glenn beck conversion to mormon talk and one thing I picked up on... was that beign from utah... suggests that you're mormon. No big surprise right... now imagine if a mormon is on your interview panel or in your hr department. He specifically talks about getting hired to work at this radio station... and when he showed up everyone thought he was a mormon because he lived/worked in ogden, ut at one point.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner
Posts: 1294
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:11 pm
Location: Miami, FL

Re: Topography of faith

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:25 pm

Kifle wrote:
Adriorn Darkcloak wrote:
Kifle wrote:I don't see what's so surprising...


California surprised me, as did Kentucky and Tennessee. Plus it's nice to see graphic representations of statistics.


You were surprised that Cali had one of the most diverse religious affiliations, and Kentucky and Tennessee both had a disproportionate weighting in favor of evangelical christianity and one of the lowest percentages of unaffiliated?


The huge majority of Evangelicals in KY and TN surprised me, yeah. I've been to both states many times and was surprised it was that high. But with CA, did you look at the map? Diverse compared to what, Utah? :) It's not diverse at all when compared to other states. What surprised me most was the huge amount of Catholics (which in hindsight I figured were mainly Mexicans and other Hispanics). I didn't expect to see it that high at all in CA.
"There is one big rule in life - the things you worry about never happen, and the things that happen are never the ones you expect." - John Bellairs
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Topography of faith

Postby Sarvis » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:23 pm

kiryan wrote: Thats practically a theocracy!



That word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
kiryan
Sojourner
Posts: 7275
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2001 5:01 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA and Flagstaff, AZ
Contact:

Re: Topography of faith

Postby kiryan » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:11 pm

well that depends on what the meaning of the word is is.

or apparently hostilities.
Kifle
Sojourner
Posts: 3830
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Huntington, IN USA
Contact:

Re: Topography of faith

Postby Kifle » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:08 am

Adriorn Darkcloak wrote:
Kifle wrote:
Adriorn Darkcloak wrote:
Kifle wrote:I don't see what's so surprising...


California surprised me, as did Kentucky and Tennessee. Plus it's nice to see graphic representations of statistics.


You were surprised that Cali had one of the most diverse religious affiliations, and Kentucky and Tennessee both had a disproportionate weighting in favor of evangelical christianity and one of the lowest percentages of unaffiliated?


The huge majority of Evangelicals in KY and TN surprised me, yeah. I've been to both states many times and was surprised it was that high. But with CA, did you look at the map? Diverse compared to what, Utah? :) It's not diverse at all when compared to other states. What surprised me most was the huge amount of Catholics (which in hindsight I figured were mainly Mexicans and other Hispanics). I didn't expect to see it that high at all in CA.


It's diverse in that it had the highest percentages of the minority religions (buddhism, etc.) especially and unaffiliated. But I live near Kentucky, so those numbers don't really surprise me. It is a nice map though, but I wonder how well those numbers can be trusted due to the sample size -- and I'm not sure what the collection procedures were either.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner
Posts: 1294
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:11 pm
Location: Miami, FL

Re: Topography of faith

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:53 am

Kifle wrote:It is a nice map though, but I wonder how well those numbers can be trusted due to the sample size -- and I'm not sure what the collection procedures were either.


I just wonder why they don't use figures from last year's census. Or is it not that specific? No clue. I know with Hispanics they only do the 4 top groups: Mexicans, Puertorricans, Dominicans, and Cubans. The rest they clump into Caribbean, Central, and South American. Maybe they do the same with religious affiliations. Beats me.
"There is one big rule in life - the things you worry about never happen, and the things that happen are never the ones you expect." - John Bellairs
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner
Posts: 1273
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:39 pm

Re: Topography of faith

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:46 am

kiryan wrote:Check the threads, libs are constantly arguing here that christianity is irrelevant in the USA at < 50% of the population.

I'm pretty sure we've ran off anyone who was dumb enough to think that Christianity is irrelevant, if anyone had said so.

There are plenty of people who have argued that it shouldn't be. Or that it isn't in terms of the law, but not because of its decline.
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)
Kifle
Sojourner
Posts: 3830
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Huntington, IN USA
Contact:

Re: Topography of faith

Postby Kifle » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:46 am

Adriorn Darkcloak wrote:
Kifle wrote:It is a nice map though, but I wonder how well those numbers can be trusted due to the sample size -- and I'm not sure what the collection procedures were either.


I just wonder why they don't use figures from last year's census. Or is it not that specific? No clue. I know with Hispanics they only do the 4 top groups: Mexicans, Puertorricans, Dominicans, and Cubans. The rest they clump into Caribbean, Central, and South American. Maybe they do the same with religious affiliations. Beats me.


Yeah, I'd have thought they'd use census data as well, but at the bottom you'll see they just gave a survey to a small sample size (around 1k) of the state population. Which I doubt went beyond larger cities -- which can be misleading. I'd imagine you'd find more buddhists in LA than Quincy. I'd like to see a map like this taken from the census data or something much more broadly sweeping, survey-wise.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Ragorn
Sojourner
Posts: 4732
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2001 6:01 am

Re: Topography of faith

Postby Ragorn » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:03 pm

Kifle wrote:
kiryan wrote:Check the threads, libs are constantly arguing here that christianity is irrelevant in the USA at < 50% of the population.


I don't think I have ever seen that written. I've seen talks about the decline in christianity. I've seen talks about the decline in churchgoers, but never that Christianity is irrelevant. In fact, the most common annoyances from the liberals, libertarians, and moderates are that Christianity is too entwined in the US government due to it being the majority (>50%) rule -- that Christianity should not be the moral and ethical guide simple because the majority practice or believe the tenets of Christianity. So I'd say that this survey backs up what liberals, libertarians, and some moderates complain about.

You haven't seen that written anywhere. That's more of the Christians' "oh god the liberals are waging a war on Christianity" talk.

What you've seen, from me at least, is something along these lines:

Image

I do think that Christianity is irrelevant, but not for reasons of population ;)
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.

Return to “Current Events & Politics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests