News of the World

Minimum moderation and heated debates.
Ragorn
Sojourner

News of the World

Postby Ragorn » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:11 pm

What? A Rupert Murdoch-owned "news" outlet caught engaging in illegal and unethical journalism practices? Hold on, let me prepare my surprised face.

Ahem.

:O
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Re: News of the World

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:15 pm

Ragorn wrote:What? A Rupert Murdoch-owned "news" outlet caught engaging in illegal and unethical journalism practices? Hold on, let me prepare my surprised face.

Ahem.

:O

Like they all don't at some point? At least they're actually tapping phones instead of making up stories *cough* NYT *cough*.

But in all seriousness, shame on News of the World tabloid. I hope people get lengthy jail sentences for this.
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:22 pm

you need to get out more. it was a tabloid not "news."

and given it was 180 or so years old, I'm going to go out on a limb and say Murdoch didn't pick the name.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:04 pm

I just hope the NY Post never engages in such tactics. It would kill me to see them have to close it down like they did 'New of the World'. I need my wacky Post headlines. "Headless Body Found in Topless Bar" being my all time favorite. :)
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:15 pm

So if a McDonalds employee robs a bank, Ragorn is going to make a sarcastic post about how you would expect that from McDonalds and their ilk?
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:25 pm

This story has been well covered here in the past week or so.

Kiryan, tabloid does not mean exactly the same thing in other countries as it does back home. Rather it refers to the size of the paper used, the number of columns, etc. The common denominator though is the sensationalism in their headlines, but every news organization goes for sensationalism to increase sales. (remember the reporter who was sexually assaulted and beaten by a mob in Egypt or do you remember the one who was trampled and groped during a mass celebration?)

Teflor, reports here suggest that this was a widespread practice at the tabloid, not just a single employee. Reports suggest that this is the reason the organization was shut down as the perception of integrity will be destroyed and cannot be regained once everything is made public. So Ragorn's post, though undoubtedly anti-Murdoch, is pretty spot-on with reports I have been watching.

In full disclosure, Australians I have met (in general) disdain Murdoch. I believe it is partly because he has used his influence to monopolize cable television here (with tendrils into telecom, Internet, etc.)

Personally, I find the methods repugnant and believe the people responsible should be punished to the full extent of the law. The press needs to hold us accountable, but hacking into a murdered girl's phone and deleting messages to make room for more is cruel and despicable; I have less sympathy for the politicians.
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:42 am

Vigis wrote:Teflor, reports here suggest that this was a widespread practice at the tabloid, not just a single employee. Reports suggest that this is the reason the organization was shut down as the perception of integrity will be destroyed and cannot be regained once everything is made public. So Ragorn's post, though undoubtedly anti-Murdoch, is pretty spot-on with reports I have been watching.

It seems Murdoch agrees enough that he shut down News of the World for good. End of discussion as far as I can tell.

Tabloids were always trash news anyway.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:10 pm

Theres a differnce between "new york woman is married to sasquatch" with a story trying to prove her husband is literally some sort of sub human half animal ... and .... sensationalism such as "new york woman married to sasquatch" with an article about how her husband is so big people affectionately call him sasquatch.

Is this "news of the world" American "enquirer" style sasquatch or simple sensationalism in headlines and grade C reporting?
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:57 pm

kiryan wrote:Theres a differnce between "new york woman is married to sasquatch" with a story trying to prove her husband is literally some sort of sub human half animal ... and .... sensationalism such as "new york woman married to sasquatch" with an article about how her husband is so big people affectionately call him sasquatch.

Is this "news of the world" American "enquirer" style sasquatch or simple sensationalism in headlines and grade C reporting?

It's essentially the British version of the New York Post or Fox and Friends. It aims for "real news, tarted up with sensationalism."

It isn't a tabloid in the sense of the Enquirer, which relies on First Amendment, satire, and Fair Use laws to make patently false claims without getting sued into the stone age.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.

Return to “Current Events & Politics”