Toril code / github?

Gameplay discussion, questions and ideas.
Nyyrazzilyss
Sojourner

Toril code / github?

Postby Nyyrazzilyss » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:47 pm

It's not just the code that makes Toril, it's the playerbase + zone files.

Shev, have you considered at all moving the toril code to a public github? I'd suggest including a single zone with it (Scardale?) that it could successfully compile/run, but no other zone information. The zone information/quest files/item information/etc for all other zones would remain non-public.

Contributions to the code could then be made by the players, though it would still be yourself making the final decision on a pull request into test mud / or live.
zusul
Sojourner

Re: Toril code / github?

Postby zusul » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:45 pm

There is no single feature or aspect of Toril that isn't already publicly available. The only thing I could possibly imagine that staff would want to protect is hiding the numbers of combat/stats. You could easily separate those values into files not shared with the public. Let me know if there is something else that you wouldn't want public, I am extremely curious.

That being said, if you made the code public, your community could make significant contributions in the form of bug fixes, updates to protocol code (so we can take real advantage of clients such as Mudlet), etc. And you wouldn't need to give anyone any server access!
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:52 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'm a big fan of open source, but I don't think it would be the right move for the MUD at the moment. That may change in the future though.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:56 pm

As a gut feeling, I do think that opening the mud code would result in more people attempting to abuse the code than people attempting to improve the mud or contribute in an effective manner.

More open might be better. And certainly there are ways to expand the number of contributors without actually revealing very much?
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)

Return to “GCC: Gameplay Discussion”