promiscuous multiclassing

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
moritheil
Sojourner

promiscuous multiclassing

Postby moritheil » Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:17 pm

As we all know, most midbies on now seem to be alts. Many people will publicly claim not to have any alts, but far more say nothing. I think it's time that we, as a people, considered the effects of this on the society of Sojourn. :lol:

I was going to make a poll on this, but it seems that polls have been disabled. sux0r. Post up your statements on the practice of alt-ing then!
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:24 pm

I thought somebody said polls were only available in the General Discussion forum.
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Thu Feb 06, 2003 1:04 am

Eh? I don't have any alts, and I think one other person has said he doesn't have any. Everyone else has alts. What's this "many people"?
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Thu Feb 06, 2003 3:09 am

Due to religious reasons, I am !alt.
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:54 am

I have a 45 shaman, 50 ranger, 40 druid, and im working on a rogue. And I dont even play as much anymore.

its time for a frigging pwipe.
<I>When a man lies, he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths, which men miscall their lives
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?</I>
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu Feb 06, 2003 9:50 am

i totally agree with gerad. maybe not right this day, but i hope soon it happens. maybe when the gods do something big like announce a brand new balancing scheme to equipment, a fix to melee, and the return of monks - then, to celebrate the changes, we pwipe.
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Thu Feb 06, 2003 3:26 pm

I used to say i had no alts. Then the 40-50 hour boots came. I eventually rolled a shaman, who i have leveled to 22 and left for dead, until the next 40-50 hour boot. I remember now why i had no alts to begin with, and that is because I HATE EXP.
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Feb 06, 2003 3:56 pm

I have alts, but I dont see how I am hurting anybody... I usually don't bid things I need for my alt unless nobody else in the group needs it. Sometimes I miss it, but I will usually give the item to the person if they don't throw a fit about it.

On topic of pwipe, I would be all for a partial eq wipe, but if I have to lvl another chr to 46+ I will probably do bad things to the people around me. Exp is the lamest thing known to man. Ok, Jazz is the lamest thing known to man, but Exp comes in a close second.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:18 pm

experience would be better if large groups were encouraged, instead of discouraged.

many evils i know enjoy doing experience, because they do it with large groups of random people, and have fun doing it.

leveling to 40+ as a warrior goodie was horrid, but as an evil - i was always excited about joining a big exp group and smiting stuff.

change the dynamics of grouping and add benefits to grouping.
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:49 pm

Shaman 49, Rogue 41, Bard 24 (dwarf), Bard 23 (halfelf), necro 19, Enchanter 11, Elementalist 16.

I don't play the bards (not enough to make up for the lack of rogue skills and the melee imbalance) or the enchanter (shiver) or elementalist at all now (was too much like my shaman for me to go any further).

I would play the rogue if melee was balanced. As it is now there are much better rogues out there that I group with so having another in the group doesn't make any sense.

Been playing the necro a bit which is fun. Little bit different than my shaman since necro pets cast which is kinda fun.

Bottom line for me is that if I don't have more than an hour I don't want to get too involved so I will exp my latest alt. The problem is when you get to the point where you have to group to exp. Just not enough people around under 40 and it sucks to gather a group only to exp for an hour and get 2% every third kill (if your lucky) as a caster.
gchien30
Sojourner

Postby gchien30 » Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:00 pm

I'm a new player to Sojourn, but anyway...

grouping is cool and stuff, an aspect to this mud that most other muds don't focus on as much.. however, there really should be a choice to be able to solo too if thats your choice. It seems like solo exping gets extremely slow and tedious once you start getting near and past the 20s.. although maybe I just don't know enough areas yet.
Haddol
Sojourner

Postby Haddol » Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:55 pm

I am playing two charecters, one for real playing and the other to mess around with new scripts and the like. I will probably play my alt up to at least 23 because 'Dominate' sounds really cool, and for some reason it's become really easy to play a psionicist, at the low levels anyway.
I've got a suggestion for anyone who wants a pwipe, just delete all you charecters and start over.
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:22 pm

I always feel when people call for a pwipe it's because they're bored. So you can either quit, duckpond eq, delete char, or start an alt. Now xp is uberboring and so new char thing kinda sucks. Hard to zone without good eq adn then you have to start xp'in with all the times you die plus you're carrying around a million spellbooks:P Qutting, some people have done this and many times they come back. I dunno much about quitting cause I have no interest in doing it. My point here is that all these actions have to do with boredom. If you want to make the mud more exciting try rp'in or help'in lowbies and see'in how happy they are or ooc'in:P or something. I don't have a direct solution for everyone, but if you're bored, it seems to be that being naked wouldn't make you any less bored. In fact, it seems just the opposite. Yes it would be interesting see'in a group of 50s wearing raw leather eq zoning, but I don't know if it would be exciting. I haven't had the chance to build up the kind of eq base that many ppl here do and so maybe I have no authority to speak here because I am no where near safe in zones or overpowered:P I get a kick out of my sword proc, or my high sv_spell when ppl around me are die'in of incin cloud:P Maybe I'm simple or maybe I just haven't been here long enough.
And I'm not saying ppl are wrong to ask for a pwipe. I kind of understand the reasoning behind it, but I not sure if it's a valid solution to the problems of mud boredom. BTW: one good thing about starting an alt is you are forced to group and there is a whole generation of younger (newer) mudders out there who are well worth the time and effort to get to know. Once you group with them, show them some of your zone stuff, tell them stories, help them, or teach them, you realize it's not so bad be'in low and just xp'in again. Hey, we've all been there.

Just a few thoughts. I'm kind of tired and rambling, but I love to mud and if ppl are bored maybe I can suggest something.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:31 pm

Actually, storing our gear and equipping back up from nothing was a lot of fun. We should do "Imphras Nekkid Week" again!
Valke
Sojourner

Postby Valke » Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:03 am

Alts? I dont see how they hurt people! Pwipe would! how bout an eq wipe instead? righr...

Problem isnt alts, its people palyin them. I left my alt on all night once and came back and it was still there didnt hurt a soul, didnt say a word. Seriously!!!!!!!!!!!!

Warrior level 50, Enchantress 47. I have more too :arrow: <-
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:44 pm

I think having alts is actually a good idea and everyone should try it. Most of us (read: all of us who aren't absolute saints and think the best about everybody) have cursed out someone at some time during a group or what-not because we think they should've done something that they didn't. A warrior who didn't attempt a rescue, an enchanter who didn't globe, etc. etc. Well, if you're gonna complain about how someone is playing their class, make an alt and test out that very class and see what it's like to BE them. As the saying goes, walk a mile in someone else's shoes before judging. Ya just might find out that maybe that person's job isn't as easy as you think it is--or, conversely, you might strengthen your opinion that said person is an idiot and should have/shouldn't have done whatever.

Not to mention the fact that making an alt can breathe new life into the game for many people. Whether it be by realizing that a certain class is much more fun for you than your main class or realizing that, hey, your old class isn't as boring as you had grown to think it was.

Just my thoughts.
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:53 pm

"Walk a mile in somebody else's shoes before you complain. That way, you're a mile away and they have no shoes if they don't like it."
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:32 pm

48 lich, 50 invoker, 38 rogue
(only gonna list level zoneable chars atm)
As a girl living in the evil world, it's imperative to have alts to help fill the class gaps that often come up in zoning groups. My rogue is naked tho, all her gear she could wear went to a couple of friends who are decked out now because of it. If you notice my main two chars are both mages and easily share the same set of gear. With the exception of a few slot locations that had to be different based on drastically different stats between Llaaldara and Sesexe. (Sesexe has a 50 con, Llaaldara has a 60ish str) So one needs lotsa con and one needs lotsa str or risk being immobile (Llaaldara ph34r5 reduce) As for Sesexe, how many 50 level invokers do you know with innate 90 hps?

I rolled the rogue cause sometimes we need those, and she was mainly rolled to help people with quests since rogues are great at by-passing a lot of tricky stuff. Ironically I got a lot of flack for bidding on stuff for the rogue when i was first working on her. Yet I'd see a lot of evil folks running around with two mage chars, both with unique sets of eq. Or Warriors bidding on mage gear, or whatever other combinations you can think of. Because of all this hypocritical BS I got from fellow evils, it gave serious pause to my desire to level up a cleric now. I won't even think about an enchanter. I've had 2 great friends already burn out on that pursuit.

So I'll keep playing the two classes that make me happy to play until people get their act together and act like half-decent human beings again, and not complete jackasses.

-LL
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:08 pm

i wish i could trade my 46th enchanter for a 46th voker or elementalist or something, im stuck with him due to my unquenchable hatred for xp
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:29 pm

I got drow enchanter(50), human enchanter(36), ogre warrior(48), troll warrior (40), and a orc dire raider(40ish). I also got some 20ish chars I've forgotten what levels. (orc shaman, drow invoker, Snake Warrior)

In 90% of the times I play, I am needed as enchanter, and I like it. I just play and eq my alts to have a GOAL for my mudding other than just hanging around chatting.
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
arom
Sojourner

Postby arom » Fri Feb 14, 2003 10:02 pm

:)

Well im new and have a 34 nearly :P 35 paladin and a 14 lvl ranger .... only thing that gets me is when people constantly shout high lvl stuff for trade to give there little ones. Not that im jelous but it means small characters can go to big zones well protected thus making it difficult for ne players like me to get groups .... either we are too small and in-experienced to go with bigger players or smaller players are better equiped and have more knowledge etc. I love the learning and its fun adventuring i wouldnt change much especially for a newbie except i suppose the constant shouting "FT a great big this and a very expensive that" ... how much is the great big this ? ...... answer from a lvl 7 ranger 5k far too much for you (lvl 34 ??????????) :D
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:16 am

arom wrote::)

Well im new and have a 34 nearly :P 35 paladin and a 14 lvl ranger .... only thing that gets me is when people constantly shout high lvl stuff for trade to give there little ones. Not that im jelous but it means small characters can go to big zones well protected thus making it difficult for ne players like me to get groups .... either we are too small and in-experienced to go with bigger players or smaller players are better equiped and have more knowledge etc. I love the learning and its fun adventuring i wouldnt change much especially for a newbie except i suppose the constant shouting "FT a great big this and a very expensive that" ... how much is the great big this ? ...... answer from a lvl 7 ranger 5k far too much for you (lvl 34 ??????????) :D

Bah, I take you zoning all the time.

Gchien, if you read up on the BBS threads, you will see that the common theme to the inability to solo is a fear that this would somehow cause the world to end, by imbalancing everything. It is the greatest fear of many players, that a lone player can do in 20 hours what a group can do in 4. The theory goes that by limiting what a lone player can do, they limit the outflow of cash, eq, and items, and keep inflation down. In theory. :lol:
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'

Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'

Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Sundara
Sojourner

Postby Sundara » Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:20 pm

[quote=
I rolled the rogue cause sometimes we need those, and she was mainly rolled to help people with quests since rogues are great at by-passing a lot of tricky stuff. Ironically I got a lot of flack for bidding on stuff for the rogue when i was first working on her. Yet I'd see a lot of evil folks running around with two mage chars, both with unique sets of eq. Or Warriors bidding on mage gear, or whatever other combinations you can think of. Because of all this hypocritical BS I got from fellow evils, it gave serious pause to my desire to level up a cleric now. I won't even think about an enchanter. I've had 2 great friends already burn out on that pursuit.[/quote]

I believe that happens on the goodie side too sometimes, LL. I can speak for myself that I am not an eq horder, or greedy person, in fact, i'm not very materialistic in RL let alone in a text game! *lol* and when it comes to bidding items I always ask 99.9% "whats clericable?" and will bid for what I play only. Whatever I have that I don't need or use I give away to people who really need it. (at least I hope they do and not just taking for hording) I don't store much and the minute I bid on something non-clericable, I got a tell from someone 'What do you need that for? You don't need it' How DARE they ask and have the oddasity to even TELL me what I DON'T need and that did NOT even deserve a reply from me. If you helped do a zone, its fair game to bid on anything you wan't, no? Unless thats illegal, i'd like someone to point out to me if it is. I have seen plenty of people do it now and then. But I don't say nuffin. (Until now :twisted: ) If you win you win, if you dont you don't. Anyway, point is, your right, people can be hypercritical but I try not to make a big stink out of it since its only a game. As someone pointed out, maybe there should be an EQ wipe. I dunno. I'm just here for the fun, oh and as for alts I have a "left for dead evil cleric 30ish" I am one of those that say, 'I don't have alts' then lightning strikes me and "remember", 'I do!' I just don't play her and haven't for ages, she's got cobwebs built-up! Hrm, maybe I should start playing her and forget goodie side :twisted: But I barely have time for Sunny D let alone exping another alt which takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R![/b]

P.S. I'm against PWIPE. If there is a pwipe, I prolly won't come back and just stick with duris, muhahaha! :twisted: EXPS do take a load of time on soj, very very time comsuming and I just don't have it like I use to years ago.
When poverty comes knocking on your door, love escapes through the window.

-German Proverb-
Sundara
Sojourner

Postby Sundara » Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:36 pm

On my previous reply, I tried to get Llaaldara's quote! damnit I failed doing it right! :oops: Sowwy LL! :roll:
When poverty comes knocking on your door, love escapes through the window.

-German Proverb-

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”