pwipe and the boring mud

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Kurtok
Sojourner

pwipe and the boring mud

Postby Kurtok » Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:52 pm

If the admins of this MUD never did another pwipe for the entire existence of this game, I would applause them greatly, maybe even to the point of shedding a tear. The one and only thing that I have consistently despised about this MUD is the need to build up a character from square one. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. I see absolutely no reason whatsoever for a MUD-wide pwipe. Only one thing comes to mind - if the coders put in some new code that was so drastically radical from anything on the MUD that there would be no possible way to integrate it without re-writing everything else in the code. With all the whines, complaints and demands that the players have already put on the admins, they will never have enough spare time to do that.

Those of you that complain about how this MUD is so "boring" and has "degraded" into the state that is has for this or that reason and you demand a pwipe. Well, GO FOR IT! DO IT! The next time that you see:

*** Welcome to Sojourn ***

0) Leave Faerun for a Time.
1) Enter the realms of Sojourn.
2) See who is currently playing.
3) Read the background story.
4) Change your password.
5) Enter your character description.
6) Delete this character.

Make your choice:

I _DARE_ you to type 6 and follow thru. Then do the same thing with all your characters that you own. (I would bet that doing that would be an even bigger rush than trying to solo-map UM2 :shock: ) If you want that pwipe soooooooo bad, then do it. Pwipe yourself. I fail to encounter in any of the help rules where is states that you are forced to _not_ type 6 at the login prompt. The only thing that is stopping you from enjoying that pwipe that you want so bad is --> YOU <--. In fact, the only thing that is making the MUD boring for you is --> YOU <--. None of the admins logged into the MUD daily with new ideas of how to make the MUD more boring. Kris didn't purposely do things to make the MUD boring. The other players don't have on their agenda list: Things to do - (1) make the MUD boring for so-and-so. It was all --> YOU <--. You were the one(s) that chose to make the MUD boring for yourself. If a pwipe is the only "solution", then do it. Start over from level 1. Post all over the forums just how great it is that you pwiped. Get other people to join your crusade. If a pwipe is what makes you happy, then --> YOU <-- take some initiative for your own enjoyment and pwipe yourself. In fact, the admins ought to change that login screen to say:

6) Pwipe this character.

There. You have your pwipe. Are you finally happy?

Kurtok
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Feb 14, 2003 9:21 pm

congrats on writing the most pointless thread of the week! i want my 1 minute back
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Fri Feb 14, 2003 9:32 pm

first off kurtok, been there, done that.

secondly, it changes nothing. people don't want a pwipe so much as they feel bored, as they want back the dynamics that followed the pwipe. the fierce competition, the intense leveling, the grouping with new people - THAT is what the pwipe brings.

now, i've deleted my char and started over - i want you to hop on one leg and cluck like moritheil.
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
Kurtok
Sojourner

Postby Kurtok » Fri Feb 14, 2003 10:28 pm

[quote]they want back the dynamics that followed the pwipe. the fierce competition, the intense leveling, the grouping with new people[quote]

Actually, NO, I don't want _any_ of that. Not one bit of it. You want it? Ok, cool. Go for it. Get all your friends together and all the other people that want it (if there are really any that do) and convince them to delete and start over. That's what a pwipe is, anyways. Get that fierce competition going among yourselves and have a great time. Live it up. There is no one stopping you from doing just that. I, on the other hand, don't want any part of it. And I don't want to be forced to be part of it. You have the means to make it happen for you, so do it. And the grouping with new people, a pwipe isn't going to accomplish that. I don't see the entire of the internet suddenly going, "Holy Crap! Did you just hear that Sojourn pwiped?!?!?! Let's all go play! (send this e-mail to 20 of your friends)" If you don't group with new people that's your doing, no one elses. If you want to group with new people, then do it right now. No one's stopping you.
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:41 am

Daz, Dartan, what are you talking about? Kurtoks post is fantastic. Wholly apart from the fact that it raises an excellent point, I feel assured that it will bring massively negative responses from pwipe enthusiasts, which will undoubtedly lead to yet more flaming and abuse.
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Sat Feb 15, 2003 3:18 am

great post Kurtok.

and if option 6 doesnt do it for those who want a pwipe sooo badly, try another mud.
BEER
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Feb 15, 2003 3:51 am

delete.
quit.
go to another mud.

wow, what great responses to interrogations directed at the gameplay here. i mean, that attitude just RAWKS!

you know, this Ford i have doesn't seem to handle right, and i'm having a lot of transmission problems.

"Fuck you, buy a Toyota."

i bet if Ford adopted a policy that was like this - they would triple their sales! quadruple!

You guys must really anticipate logging on one day to find yourselves alone on the mud, so you can clap each other over the shoulder and talk about how tough you were.

maybe instead of this dismissive attitude, you could suggest ideas that would keep the playerbase current, as well as entice new players. i have posted many times my suggestions to allow for player interaction and participation, and judging by the fact that no one paid them much mind - i guess i suck.

maybe i do, but at least i tried to find solutions instead of telling everyone else who plays here to fuck off. why dont YOU pack your shit and leave if you really feel that way about the players here.

if it comes right down to it, id rather keep the new players and let the bitter, angry, stuck in the past, refuse to consider change conservative players go 'find another mud' as you so tenderly phrased it.

your 'fuck off' attitude is selfish, when you seem to ignore the fact that sojourn is a community, not your own private quake server.
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Sat Feb 15, 2003 4:15 am

Actually, I agree. If you want a pwipe so bad, take all of your chars, and pwipe yourself! Works both ways, those who don't want one, don't get forced into dealing with one. Those who do want one, can start anew! Just don't accept nice gifts from friends, level yourself up the hard way!
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Sat Feb 15, 2003 8:00 am

I'm glad I got to experience a post-pwipe race to the top. However, I'd trade that experience for the return of all my pre-wipe work in the blink of an eye. I get attached to my characters, and losing them the way we have in the past has diminished my desire and courage to commit deeply enough to reap this game's greatest rewards.

My comments are not an argument against a future pwipe; rather, they are a perspective on the effects of past ones.

Mp
Myre
Sojourner

Postby Myre » Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:59 pm

With this post I certainly do not intend to flame or offend anyone...it is simply the perspective of my friends and myself after many hours of drunken conversation regarding the potential of a pwipe/no pwipe.

Wobb and I had come to the conclusion after a long discussion before he and Nugg retired....that....in effect...a pwipe is pointless.

Whereas I would normally agree with Daz in this thread...that a 'screw off delete yourself' attitude is wrong....in a BIG picture sense I have to say..."whats the point"...let me explain..

The staff COULD choose to push and buttons they wish and either pwipe or not...The player base WOULD return regardless of the number of rants about 'you promised' and other trash talk....or if there was no pwipe the player base WILL come and go just as it has for years...

However, the reason a pwipe is pointless is, as it was so eloquently put earlier, it just becomes an experience race for a month, then returns to status quo.

You can pwipe the MUD, but you can NOT pwipe the knowledge and experience of the players. We as a playerbase are unable to return to the days we all dream of...because we know too damn much! By deleting my characters...doesn't mean i will forget the hundreds of quests I have notes on....or it won't erase the pile of maps I have drawn on everything from graph paper to beer coasters.

So in effect pwiping the MUD is just a minor annoyance and a speed bump to the players that will just rise to the same station they have already achieved...thus proving again KNOWLEDGE is the true power ...not EQ...not LEVEL...NO CLASS/RACE....but how much you know...and unfortunately in some cases WHO you know.

This whole thread unfortunately is just way to put a wedge between players by expressing a view on a point that can NOT be solved.

If you truely want an example of what will happen if this MUD were to pwipe I would invite you to TRY to log onto "Star Wars: Galaxies" the DAY it comes out (more or less a version of everquest for starwars..) You will see a prime example of what would happen....the newbie areas will be FLOODED and the entire player base would work on a typical statistical curve leveling up in droves...then camping EQ and being at each others throats...until everyone gets to the point where they have the EQ they need so they can ENJOY the reason the thrashed through the levels...

I salute the tolerance and BIG PICTURE wisdom of the staff in this matter. Thank you for the patience and time to read my ranting...Like I said just 1 groups of drunken friends perspective..

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”