Ultrablast

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Dalar
Sojourner

Ultrablast

Postby Dalar » Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:33 pm

Can this skill be downgraded? With 2+ illithids in group they destroy mobs. Hell they don't even stop and sometimes spam ultrablast till after the fight. Can the mana cost be upped or add feedback or reduce the damage?
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Azenilsee
Sojourner

Postby Azenilsee » Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:02 pm

Think squids have a lot of other problems than 'too much damage'.
Azenilsee - Faern Dalharil
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:34 pm

8)

Yes, problems such as "How can I get a date with a mug like this?"
Izisayyin
Sojourner

overpowered?

Postby Izisayyin » Thu Apr 03, 2003 5:22 am

Hrm, methinks you should play a squid through 50, then see if you still think anything about them is overpowered :D

Just my $0.02
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Thu Apr 03, 2003 5:57 am

Yayaril wrote:8)

Yes, problems such as "How can I get a date with a mug like this?"

Yayaril, haven't you read your Illithiad? As fully-functioning hermaphrodites all Illithids self-fertilize. ;)
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

Gura: ..btw, being a dick is my god given right as an evil.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Re: overpowered?

Postby Yayaril » Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:05 am

Izisayyin wrote:Hrm, methinks you should play a squid through 50, then see if you still think anything about them is overpowered :D

Just my $0.02

Is it impossible to use data gathered through observation to support your arguments? Get out there and tell those scientists that studying things is futile and the only way they can make any sort of statement or hypothesis is if they've experienced being their subject first hand.
Izisayyin
Sojourner

Postby Izisayyin » Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:28 am

Is it impossible? No, but those scientists making observations would then proceed to take that data, and simulate it in a test environment to validate it. Which is what I suggested :}

To give some insight to the outside observer, yes, we have a lot of longevitiy when it comes to our damage skills. However, the downside is that they're not all that wonderful. Projectforce, one or our main damage abilities, already has a *huge* feedback system built into it, and you don't even need 2 squids to get nailed by it, it's just a random factor. And boy does it ever hurt.

I really don't see ultrablast cutting down mobs as stated, though I will agree that we can ultrablast longer than most mages can cast. In the end though, our damage takes longer, and is lower overall, so I don't think there's any real need for a downgrade.

(Nope, I don't have ultrablast yet, but i've been in plenty of groups where myself and another squid with ub are the only damage, and believe you me, an invoker can outdo the pair of us)
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Apr 04, 2003 4:34 am

Izisayyin wrote:Hrm, methinks you should play a squid through 50, then see if you still think anything about them is overpowered :D

Just my $0.02

that's the funniest statement ever. That's like every invoker telling any non-invoker to shut up just because they don't play invoker. I've played evils w/ two 46+ chars in almost every zone. When we had 2+ squids we tore everything up. Psi damage isn't resisted as much as invoker damage. It effects almost every mob b/c most area makers don't make enchanter mobs. It makes things like SF final fight a 1 run deal w/ 3+ squids.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:35 pm

Dalar wrote:that's the funniest statement ever. That's like every invoker telling any non-invoker to shut up just because they don't play invoker. I've played evils w/ two 46+ chars in almost every zone. When we had 2+ squids we tore everything up. Psi damage isn't resisted as much as invoker damage. It effects almost every mob b/c most area makers don't make enchanter mobs. It makes things like SF final fight a 1 run deal w/ 3+ squids.

You dunno what you're talking about Dartan. I have 6 level 50 chars and a level 48. My squid was the hardest to level by far. Why you ask? Because they do very weak damage until they get ultrablast. Even then you have to apply squids in numbers for them to even be noticed next to invokers or liches and now illusionists even. FYI ultrablast is about 1/3 the damage of inferno on average. Also FYI the usage is 90 psp per ultrablast when a squids naturual psp is around 700 at level 50. The ONLY befinit to all this is..

1. The ability to bypass magic ressistance since its not magic.
2. You can use it repeatedly until you are out of psp.
3. It does not zap with other ultrablasts.

I think you were just dissillusioned seeing 2 squids at work with 2 invokers, a lich or 2, 2 shaman, an elementalist, and/or a a rogue/dire, and an illusionist in the groups we like to roll in for the really hard zones Dartan. This is no reason to go cry downgrade. Druids have thier perks too. If you actually played a squid to level 50 as Izisayyin said, you would know whats really going on. You pwn yourself by even suggesting they be downgraded.

-Jaz
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:54 pm

Jaznolg wrote:

You pwn yourself by even suggesting they be downgraded.

-Jaz

And it does awesome damage. Hmm who thinks that's wrong?

moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:45 pm

Dalar wrote:
Jaznolg wrote:

-Jaz

Given how freaking rare UBing squids are, I don't think it's imbalancing at all. What I WOULD suggest is that we implement rrakma bands, if it bothers you. (Sp?)
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sat Apr 05, 2003 12:04 am

moritheil wrote:
Dalar wrote:
Jaznolg wrote:

-Jaz

Given how freaking rare UBing squids are, I don't think it's imbalancing at all. What I WOULD suggest is that we implement rrakma bands, if it bothers you. (Sp?)

the "rarity" of # of players never stopped gods before. Only two illu could sneak/hide b4 and that was changed. There's only one Lilithelle but she causes a ton of changes :P

Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:14 am

8)

*Cough*manscorpions*cough cough*
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Apr 05, 2003 4:10 pm

Snicker..

Now that I cant hide/sneak, the fact that lilithelle got the garden in avernus made !summon doesn't effect me as much...

Umm squid damage. The topic is too politically charged. The question of whats best for the game is pretty much irrelevant, right?

Corth
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Izzemassix
Sojourner

Postby Izzemassix » Tue Apr 15, 2003 6:47 pm

Heh,why should someone who plays a goodie even care about how much damage psionic attacks do? Rarely is there ever enough people on for a zone.
A flash of pain comes over your brain,as something starts draining your energies.

Your brain is drawn out with a final slurp,as you feel yourself falling into the cold sleep of death...
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:55 pm

"Heh,why should someone who plays a goodie even care about how much damage psionic attacks do? Rarely is there ever enough people on for a zone."

For one thing, there ARE psi mobs in the game that ultrablast us. MD used to be really nasty for goodies back when all those phaerimm were psi and no one had mind blank.

For another, some people play both goodies and evils and realize that player base sometimes goes in cycles. Just cause evils are at a low point now doesn't mean they necesarily will be months from now.

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”