Possible Solution..... ?

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
loshaenar
Sojourner

Possible Solution..... ?

Postby loshaenar » Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:56 am

ok...i've done some research (ish)...but i need some help from u tech-head types.. (me=language major).. ok...can't connect directly right...stops at one of the AOL routers etc...it's not a constant tho...because there are cable and dialup users able to connect still etc...

plus... i am still able to connect to sojourn thru the 'Super' Java telnet client on the mudconnector page... (makes telnet look very appealing)... so... to 1 possible solution.. (short term ish until this crap is sorted somehow)... We need someone to setup a proxy server...

eg.
someone with access sets up their machine as a proxy server. and the addie is put on bbs etc.. then us poor shmoes does the zmud telnet proxy server thing.... and voilla ...back in mudland..

i know this post lacks any technical detail...but i don't pretend to be a wiz in that respect...i've spoken to some network lads who assure me this idea should work....but shrug... i'd like.... no... I DEMAND some feedback...plz...

locky. :cry:
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:29 pm

hrm, why would the java thing on mudconnector work *scratch*
That send the traffic to mudconnector then to you, so that website is acting lika proxy to get around the crappy router?
Bilraex
Sojourner

Postby Bilraex » Mon Apr 21, 2003 2:06 pm

I can volunteer the proxy/port forwading machine.
Only problem I see is you will have to talk to Miax, cause it's gonna look like a lot of chars online using the same ip addy.
Abbayarra
Sojourner

I had trouble connecting

Postby Abbayarra » Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:14 am

I was under the impression that the mud was down for quite a while until friends told me I was wrong. I tried telnet and sure enough it went through. I found that zmud had trouble when the ip address changed. I found I could not specify the new ip address. I eventually had to erase the name for where zmud went to look for sojourn3. I then told it to go look for sojourn3 when it told me I needed to specify where I wanted to connect to. Then and only then was zmud actually able to find the new address for sojourn3.
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Re: I had trouble connecting

Postby Disoputlip » Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:03 am

Abbayarra wrote:I was under the impression that the mud was down for quite a while until friends told me I was wrong. I tried telnet and sure enough it went through. I found that zmud had trouble when the ip address changed. I found I could not specify the new ip address. I eventually had to erase the name for where zmud went to look for sojourn3. I then told it to go look for sojourn3 when it told me I needed to specify where I wanted to connect to. Then and only then was zmud actually able to find the new address for sojourn3.

That is not our problem. See you could connect via telnet. We can't even ping sojourn3.org (or tracert). We ping www.sojourn3.org fine though.

GODDANGIT I WANNA MUD!
/Disoputlip
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:35 am

I am still occasionally getting this problem (primarily using uptusnet dialup on east coast australia), and it seems many folks around the world are similarly unable to connect as usual.

I wonder if any major ISP/routers are getting many complaints about general lack of web connections to various addresses not just sojournMUD or things "nearby").

Obviously something's changed, suspected to involve some AOL network hops, it would be good to try and narrow it down and work out possible solutions or ways around it.
BEER
loshaenar
Sojourner

Postby loshaenar » Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:18 am

Bilraex wrote:I can volunteer the proxy/port forwading machine.
Only problem I see is you will have to talk to Miax, cause it's gonna look like a lot of chars online using the same ip addy.

And this is pretty much where the train has stopped... it is now nearing 2 months since this problem was brought up..i've mmailed the relevant parties, i've lodged sarcastic posts.. hell i've sat on the worlds shitties java telnet client trying to get the attention of certain unnamed admins at convenient times for you.. generally 5 am my time... i don't know what else to do here... we have someone who has offered to help us resolve the problem...i need 1 simple post on the bbs saying.. 'yes, that's cool.. do it, whatever' and all this bullshit can disappear... if even this is way too time consuming for you to do..then please allocate the task to someone who gives 2 shits...because personally..i'm all out of love...

hoping for some form of reply...

Locky.
Lenefir
Sojourner

Postby Lenefir » Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:29 am

This is a story about four people
named everybody, somebody,
anybody and nobody.

There was an important job to
be done and everybody was sure,
that somebody would do it.

Anybody could have done it,
but nobody did it.

Somebody got angry about that,
because it was everybody's job!

Everybody thought,
anybody could do it,
but nobody realized,
that everybody wouldn't do it!

It ended up, that everybody blamed
somebody,
when nobody did what anybody
could have done!

:wink:
"Being God isn't easy. If you do too much, people get dependent on you; and if you do nothing, they lose hope. You have to use a light touch [...]. When you do things right, people won't be sure you have done anything at all"
--Futurama
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Re: Possible Solution..... ?

Postby Llaaldara » Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:09 pm

Sorry Locky, that was uncalled for. :cry:

I have issues I need to work on.
Last edited by Llaaldara on Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Re: Possible Solution..... ?

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:21 pm

Llaaldara wrote:I don't consider myself a computer 'tech-head' just computer literate. You're a language major right? Computers is nothing BUT language. Pick up a book/website and start learning. If I had your problem, the LAST place I'd try to get it fixed is on a BBS. I'd only goto the BBS to see if anyone else was suffering from similar problem and see if or how they fixed it. Jumping up and down and making a complete ass of yourself in front of people who do this for free and have no obligation to help you... get the idea? I wouldn't help you either. :P

Well that just pushed you right over the edge from harmless frootloop to flatout nasty. Losh isn't jumping up and down and what you said was totally uncalled for, Losh is a really nice guy. Put a leash on yourself, there are laws.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:32 pm

Hope you figure out a way around your problem so you can mud again. Do most your friends have your email addy? I noticed it's absent from your BBS profile. :?
Last edited by Llaaldara on Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eza
Sojourner

Postby Eza » Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:59 pm

I would call it a well warranted post by someone who is frustrated that he is unable to talk to his friends and unwind at the end of the day. Someone who is pissed off because nobody cares enough to do anything at all about it, even dignify him with a response. Locky is one of the greatest people I've ever known, he doesn't deserve to be treated badly by anyone for any reason.
Holding this in mind
That if we fall, we all fall
And we fall alone
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:37 am

I got the message. Trying now to do something about it for the better.
Last edited by Llaaldara on Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loshaenar
Sojourner

Postby loshaenar » Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:03 am

for some reason you're of the opinion that this is a personal thread... about me, or about u or about my personal problems... and if it is written in that manner then i apologise...

however, that simply is not the case..there are a lot of people not able to play for a significant period of time now because this problem has not been addressed..it's been debated mostly by those effected..and in a few instances by those sympathetic to the problem.. it's not a flame..it's not a personal bitch session aimed any one person... (or their friends ???).. i am simply the most vocal of those in this situation and have been asked by many others to see if i can help resolve the problem.. how... ?? i don't know... but an option presented itself.. (thankyou for the support bil) and once more i'm trying to follow this up...

i'm not going to sink to any base level shitslinging.. that's never been my bag.. i also don't want multiple posts on this thread that have 0 relevance to the problem at hand..

once again..i'm sorry if i've offended anyone through my words, i've been a devoted player of this mud for more than 5 years.. and i always imagined that if i stopped playing here..it would be my own personal choice..

so i hope this goes somewhere..

thanks,

Locky.
Nyv
Sojourner

Update

Postby Nyv » Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:34 am

I'm a relatively new player to Sojourn. Just shy of a year, on and off. But I've found myself missing the game now that I can't access it. Never know how precious something is until it's gone, ey?

Not going to touch the conversation here, but I do want to add an update, even if it's not much. (although in this case, I believe little is preferable to nothing) I've contacted Telia (Swedish ISP) with a very polite request that they look into the matter and bounce it to whoever Can do something about it, giving the tracert log as well as the reply to Alilsil's question to ATDN.

Waiting for a reply.
loshaenar
Sojourner

Postby loshaenar » Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:38 am

thanks for making the effort nyv..hope u hear something soon :)
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:42 pm

God, if a god ever EVER _EVER_ gave me a "you can flame w/out getting in trouble" card and not get deleted for free card, this thread would have been PERFECT.

Llaaldara, once again you post without knowing all the facts and not reading other people's posts (at all or carefully). Do Ashiwi and I a big favor by either reading posts or not posting (my favorite).
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Nyv
Sojourner

The road goes ever on and on

Postby Nyv » Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:29 pm

No official reply from ISP yet, although considering I asked them to bounce it to the best suited person to deal with it, in this case no news is just as possibly good news. Giving them another day.

Some helpful friendlies have been narrowing things down to suspecting ATDN despite their claims it's not them. Would someone, preferably on the north american continent, please contact ATDN.net and/or Roadrunner/TW Cable and point this out to them:

Typical tracert:

12 123 ms 119 ms 119 ms bb2-nye-P1-0.atdn.net [66.185.151.66]
13 123 ms 119 ms 119 ms bb2-vie-P8-0.atdn.net [66.185.152.201]
14 123 ms 119 ms 119 ms bb2-rtc-P3-0.atdn.net [66.185.152.164]
15 123 ms 119 ms 119 ms pop3-rtc-P10-0.atdn.net [66.185.140.131]
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * rr-herndon.atdn.net [66.185.140.142] reports: Target net inaccessible.

Ping:

> ping 24.30.213.150
PING 24.30.213.150 (24.30.213.150): 56 data bytes
36 bytes from rr-herndon.atdn.net (66.185.140.142): Communication
prohibited by filter
Vr HL TOS Len ID Flg off TTL Pro cks Src Dst
4 5 00 5400 fa7a 0 0000 31 01 8f2f 192.168.0.2 24.30.213.150

From ATDN:
"This is an unused IP address in a a cable modem block belonging to Roadrunner/TW Cable. "

Tracert again:
http://visualroute.next-it.com/vr.html (From Japan)
http://visualroute.visualware.com/ (From USA)

You can see that from within the states, everything works fine. From outside there is a 100% packet loss at ATDN.

That's probably why this is so hard to fix, the person who can fix it can't see anything wrong on their end.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:44 pm

You know whats wacked up, I do a traceroute to sojourn3.org here at work, and I can go through the rr-herndon.atdn.net [66.185.140.142] router that is killing you guys.
I'll try to poke around and see what I can find also, but according to atdn.net website, you can report (or try to) problems at:
Email: noc@atdn.net
Phone: (703) 265-5431
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:19 pm

Loshaenar,

If you can find a program that will setup a proxy server in win98 OS, and make sure this is the way to get around your problem. Let me know the name of the program plz. I was looking at
http://www.deerfield.com/products/wingate/

and reading about their product very briefly today. It was a very busy day, so I didn't have much time to read it over. I couldn't make out if this would do what you need it to do or not, but it did appear to handle the security issues I had with this whole idea.

Since you no doubt mud at completely different times then myself, I don't see a forseeable problem letting my pc host access to the mud for you. That is if this trick will work for you. There's one catch tho. I'm in the process of moving for the next month. So at one point my connection speed will undoubtedly be dial-up.

Keep me informed. :D

-LL (in therapy)
loshaenar
Sojourner

Postby loshaenar » Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:15 am

thankyou for the offer Ll,

at this stage bilraex and i are going to test the proxy server out as soon as it's setup.. (hopefully in the next few days). Assuming this works, we will then attempt to deal with the admin situation...i've notified them..and asked for miax to be informed... (shrug..guess they send smoke signals or morse code etc).. but thats one river we'll cross when we get there... my first priority is to make sure this works..so yeah..fingers crossed.

locky..
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Apr 30, 2003 6:09 am

Is anybody in the states having any trouble with ATDN.net other than me? I've been getting bad lag and most times 50% packet loss through pings to sojourn. Its been going on for about 2 weeks or so now. When the request doesn't time out on tracert I get 1k+ ms hops. I called my ISP and they kept giving me the it's your modem blah blah, i'm not getting lag blah blah then i asked him to do a tracert and ping a certain other IP addy that was giving me trouble and he got a timeout hah...then he obviosly let that slip his memory and tried to give me some useless init command string for my modem...what a horrible company.
Nyv
Sojourner

Postby Nyv » Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:25 am

I'm almost about to say giving up is easier.

I assumed for a moment that ATDN might be right that it was a Roadrunner problem, so I went to their homepage to find an e-mail address to tech support.

Or rather, I tried to. Couldn't connect to their homesite. www.rr.com

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:41 pm

www.sojourn3.org and sojourn3.org are 2 different boxes at 2 different locations. That's why you can reach 1 and not the other. As for why the atdn router is not letting it though, I can't answer. The mud is not an official AOL/TW Service, so they're under very, very little pressure to fix connectivity issues to it. Which is why we, as a staff, have very little ability to *get* it fixed. I'm sure Miax is looking into it as much as he can, but beyond paying a few hundred a month to have the mud co-located off of the AOL/TW system, I don't think there's much he can do.

Mask
Ruagh
Sojourner

Postby Ruagh » Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:42 pm

The mud is not an official AOL/TW Service, so they're under very, very little pressure to fix connectivity issues to it.
Mask

So, the MUD port 9999 is not? Fine. What can be done? For example, create mud.sojourn3.org:80, and either put the Mud daemon on THAT port, making it, in fact, "official AOL WWW port 80 Service", or create a portmapping from that port 80 to sojourn3.org:9999. They cant block those incoming "HTTP" connections. Sounds like a plan? Also, Ive started a new topic http://www.sojourn3.org:8080/phpBB2/vie ... hp?t=11039 because I havent had Todrael's Tome of Infinite Cross-References available :) This post is cross-posted there.
Va'esse deireadh aep eigean... Something is ending...
Xolan
Sojourner

Postby Xolan » Sun May 04, 2003 3:40 am

http://www.sojourn3.org:8080/phpBB2/vie ... 555#103555

THAT is what can be done.....

Like it says, Case by case basis. I'll help you get on.

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”