Tiamat?

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Birile
Sojourner

Tiamat?

Postby Birile » Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:51 pm

I think I read a log somewhere (on this BBS?) where Miax said something about Tia being worked on to the point of being reinstated in the game in, oh, say, the next couple of months. I think I also recall him saying that the items may change/be down- or upgraded, etc. So what's the deal? This true or an urban legend? Did I dream this? Are my hopes of getting a slaadi lords belt and crescent moon just silly (as no one in their right mind would trade either--but if you're not in your right mind and want to trade either, let me know ;) )?
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:45 pm

trading slaadi lords belt is bad!
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Nekler BlazingWolf
Sojourner

Postby Nekler BlazingWolf » Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:23 pm

From what I remember Miax saying over ooc about Tia was that there will be changes to eq mud wide to get the eq stats in check with how hard it was to get.
After that, Tia will open back up again.
Wish I had saved that ooc convo. Did ask Miax to post it on the bbs, but either he didn't hear me or didn't want to, I don't know.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:40 pm

One time, Miax said that tiamat might open back up for July 4th weekend. That was uhh, today, 1 year ago. Don't hold your breath, wankers:)

Id also like to take this opportunity to point out that I hate Shevarash. And Kossuth. That is all.
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:43 pm

:( To hijack my own thread--Come back Nuk!

Thanuk > Tia anyday.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:52 pm

So much hate! :?
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:36 am

gods have lives and only do projects that interest them. delays are always going to happen
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:21 am

Menzo will be in soon!
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:41 am

< 253h/253H 165v/167V >
< P: std > help trap

< 253h/253H 165v/167V >
< P: std > TRAP
Applied skill.

Syntax: trap
Aggressive: Yes
Class/Level: Ranger/Dire Raider 5th

COMING SOON

This skill allows you to set a trap within your current location.
When another creature walks into the room, it may trigger the trap and
suffer a loss of hit points. The chances of something triggering the
trap and the resulting damage done are dependent on the level
difference between you and the triggerer, as well as your proficiency
in the skill. At the moment, only one trap can be set in a room. It
costs some movement points to lay a trap.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:08 pm

Tanji Smanji wrote:Menzo will be in soon!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I needed that! :D
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Thu May 01, 2003 7:40 pm

Tiamat will be opened again when the eq modifications to her stuff (and world wide stuff) is complete. There is no timeframe because frankly, we have no timeframe. Timeframes tend to approach and pass without the project being done because of RL constraints. It should be noted that the entire Tiamat zone is being re-done. This by itself is going to be quite a job and as everyone knows, Gods here work for free. Rest assured, Tiamat will live and die again. :)

sorry for the ambiguity, it is as much as anyone can give you at this point in time and I hope it helped.
Shar - Forger Administrator, TorilMUD

Brandobaris : (51) [ would a forgotten realms zombie be interested in brains? ]

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Thu May 01, 2003 7:44 pm

Shar wrote:Tiamat will be opened again when the eq modifications to her stuff (and world wide stuff) is complete. There is no timeframe because frankly, we have no timeframe. Timeframes tend to approach and pass without the project being done because of RL constraints. It should be noted that the entire Tiamat zone is being re-done. This by itself is going to be quite a job and as everyone knows, Gods here work for free. Rest assured, Tiamat will live and die again. :)

sorry for the ambiguity, it is as much as anyone can give you at this point in time and I hope it helped.

While this makes it sound like Tia will be in the game around about 2004 maybe, it's just good to have an answer from an Imm :) Thanks for the response, Shar!
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Thu May 01, 2003 7:56 pm

Birile wrote::( To hijack my own thread--Come back Nuk!

Shar wrote:Tiamat will be opened again when the eq modifications to her stuff (and world wide stuff) is complete. There is no timeframe because frankly, we have no timeframe. Timeframes tend to approach and pass without the project being done because of RL constraints. It should be noted that the entire Tiamat zone is being re-done. This by itself is going to be quite a job and as everyone knows, Gods here work for free.

Ill be back that day. Or if a certain trip to a certain forge in a certain place to destroy a certain thing is scheduled, ill be back for that(poke malar). Otherwise, sorry, but 2004 Subaru Impreza>mud. Thanks for responding honestly, Shar. Its not that we don't understand that you guys work for free, and that what you do entails a lot of hard work that we never see(hey that rhymes), as much as we're frustrated by the perpetual cocktease that is "Tiamat will be back soon."

Birile wrote:Thanuk > Tia anyday.

I agree. Someday, I'll prove it too.
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'

You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'

Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'

You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'

Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
zusuk
Sojourner

Postby zusuk » Sun May 04, 2003 2:44 am

stuff is still getting done though... i don't understand why tiamat isn't made a priority considering every single person on the MUD wants her back...
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Tue May 06, 2003 2:55 pm

*shrug* Perhaps only one Imm is working on Tia? From what Shar said it looks like a lot of work so I would hope this isn't the case.
Allycis
Sojourner

Postby Allycis » Wed May 07, 2003 2:57 pm

If equipment stats are being changed to reflect how tough the item is to get, then it seems like tiamat equipment should be almost infinitely good since the only way to get the items is to trade for them and I don't think too many more tia item trades are gonna happen.

Dartok
Selias
Sojourner

Postby Selias » Thu May 08, 2003 9:58 pm

Ragorn Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:41 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

< 253h/253H 165v/167V >
< P: std > help trap

< 253h/253H 165v/167V >
< P: std > TRAP
Applied skill.

Syntax: trap
Aggressive: Yes
Class/Level: Ranger/Dire Raider 5th

COMING SOON

This skill allows you to set a trap within your current location.
When another creature walks into the room, it may trigger the trap and
suffer a loss of hit points. The chances of something triggering the
trap and the resulting damage done are dependent on the level
difference between you and the triggerer, as well as your proficiency
in the skill. At the moment, only one trap can be set in a room. It
costs some movement points to lay a trap.

Well at least they updated the help file to include dire raiders =P
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri May 09, 2003 2:53 pm

Bahaha Allycis raises a very interesting point. Logically, let us assume that:

D = The difficulty involved in obtaining an item.
P = The probability that an item will load.
S = The quality of the stats on the item.

Premises:

- Items that are more difficult to obtain should have better stats. Thus, D should be directly proportional to S. That is, as D increases, so should S.

- Rare items are more difficult to obtain. Thus, P is inversely proportional to D. That is, as P decreases, D increases.

- Tiamat items do not load. Thus, for Tiamat items, P=0.

- Items which do not load are impossible to get. Thus, if P=0, then D is infinite.

Conclusion:

- Tiamat items should be infinitely powerful. Since P=0, D must approach infinity without bounds. Since D is directly proportional to S, that must mean that S approaches infinity as well. Regardless of the actual relationship between D and S, once one goes infinite, the other will too.

- Tiamat items should have infinitely high stat booster.

There you have it. Logically speaking, Tiamat items should be greatly upgraded. However, sad to say, as soon as Tiamat is re-enabled, P will no longer equal zero, and D will no longer go infinite, so the stats should return to something rational :)

For this, I paid $2400 this semester. Stupid Language and Logic class.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Fri May 09, 2003 3:08 pm

Ragorn wrote:Bahaha Allycis raises a very interesting point. Logically, let us assume that:

D = The difficulty involved in obtaining an item.
P = The probability that an item will load.
S = The quality of the stats on the item.

Premises:

- Items that are more difficult to obtain should have better stats. Thus, D should be directly proportional to S. That is, as D increases, so should S.

- Rare items are more difficult to obtain. Thus, P is inversely proportional to D. That is, as P decreases, D increases.

- Tiamat items do not load. Thus, for Tiamat items, P=0.

- Items which do not load are impossible to get. Thus, if P=0, then D is infinite.

Conclusion:

- Tiamat items should be infinitely powerful. Since P=0, D must approach infinity without bounds. Since D is directly proportional to S, that must mean that S approaches infinity as well. Regardless of the actual relationship between D and S, once one goes infinite, the other will too.

- Tiamat items should have infinitely high stat booster.

There you have it. Logically speaking, Tiamat items should be greatly upgraded. However, sad to say, as soon as Tiamat is re-enabled, P will no longer equal zero, and D will no longer go infinite, so the stats should return to something rational :)

For this, I paid $2400 this semester. Stupid Language and Logic class.

Wow! Thanks Professor Ragorn! That was kinda funny actually :D

But but but but you forgot W!

W = the amount of whining by players

How does that all fit into the equation? :wink:

Teach me Please! I wish to learn! :D

-LL
Dugmaren
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Dugmaren » Fri May 09, 2003 5:45 pm

Well Llaaldara, theres a VERY complicated system we devised thats based heavily on W, which is sometimes inversly proportional. One of the other important factors you missed was

A (ansi)

Which is inversly proportional to the square of the difference from the median curve of the risk:reward ratio.

Dug
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri May 09, 2003 5:51 pm

Morimat! :D
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'

Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'

Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Sartorix
Sojourner

Postby Sartorix » Sat May 10, 2003 3:09 pm

Dugmaren wrote:Which is inversly proportional to the square of the difference from the median curve of the risk:reward ratio.
Dug

from what i've heard, that relationship is quite discontinuous
Disco
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sat May 10, 2003 8:06 pm

Whining (W) has a very complex relationship to the other variables, and is not related to them in a strictly deductive fashion. Observe:

- As D increases, W increases. So because people whine when things get harder, you might assume that W is directly proportional to D.

- But as D decreases, W also increases. Because people whine when things are too easy, you might conclude that W is inversely proportional to D.

- When D remains constant, W remains constant. People whine about everything that happens, so the best way to keep W low is to keep D static.

Conclusion:

- The only way to keep people from whining is to never code anything.

And some people ask why nothing ever gets done :)
- Ragorn

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”