Jot Invasion

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Azenilsee
Sojourner

Postby Azenilsee » Sun May 04, 2003 2:57 am

IMO, new invasions like smoke and gith got it right with badass mobs that load at entrance, so why can't the same be applied to Jot? Like a lot of posters pointed out before, you could load a whole group of fire giants or whatever instead of them trolls. I also think that the 12 player rule is weak, mainly because of the evils pbase, and we're used to going in a zone with a small group due to this.
Azenilsee - Faern Dalharil
Crumar
Sojourner

Postby Crumar » Sun May 04, 2003 10:20 am

Ok, its time for all of us to stop fighting about this issue. It’s evident that changes do need to take place. Tonight Jot invasion loaded, evils were up there first and had claim to zone. In I walk in with a group 43 min into pop on the first part of zone (not our fault because of a certain blocking issue with a pet) and then the arguing starts between my group and the evil group.

Now I could of been an ass and taken half the invasion zone even after Gargauth said I had a choice in the matter. I think its up to us to police ourselves and not always run to the immortals every time crap like this happens. Yeah I was man enough to let them have entire zone and why not? Even though we could of claimed they had full right to zone. As far as I am concerned and most in my group agreed, whoever gets a group of 10-12 into any invasion should have the FULL invasion zone.

After talking with Gura, this is what we both have come up with in order to better police ourselves. If we cannot get Immortal involvement in changing the rules why not have us go by these rules, we should all agree they are valid start to this problem.

Ok so here goes.

First group to gate off prime and arrive at tree and smite the trolls regardless of size gets pick of said invasion, so long as they kill the trolls first. They have 10 min to get a group of 10 or more level 40+ people to do the FULL invasion, or they forfeit their right to the second group that arrives at the tree. The second group then has 10 min to get a group of 10 or more +40 level characters into zone to do FULL invasion. If neither can get a group within that time frame the first group that enters the zone after 20 min into boot with 10+ level 40 characters gets to claim either Palace or Glammad. If two invasions load at the same time (musp and jot) only the group that killed trolls first can claim one invasion but not both.

No one shall camp astral or any part of the outer planes before a boot is announced; if they do they forfeit their right to zone.

Using a pet to block entrance to tree automatically forfeits groups right to both Musp and Jot. (This should make sure leaders let their followers know to kill off pets once they done killing trolls since it makes it harder for others to get past tree).

I will be mailing Shev, Kia, and Miax about this and hopefully it can be looked into and possibly implemented. Until then I urge you all to take a look at this seriously and consider following these guidelines until a decision can be made. Lets police ourselves rather then have the Immortals do it for us for a change. If the majority of the player base agrees to these rules then I will make a separate post so it makes it easier for people to get a hold of. Thanks for your time, input will be appreciated.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Sun May 04, 2003 12:52 pm

Pretty solid ideas, cept what if we want to do invasion with a group of 8 guildies who are on? It is certainly VERY achievable.

I could see this happening...
XXX says hey guys, thingy mobob from XXXguild found invasion but there is only 4 of them on, let's form a group with our guildfolk and go smite some of it (take it from them). It would suck, but it would happen if you place numerical limits on the claiming of invasion. .. oh too bad, the people that found invasion get none cos they cant get big enough group...oh well second group with clair gets all and got to check chlora etc aswell :9
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sun May 04, 2003 1:31 pm

Outstanding, guys ...

We have this saying in the military ... "handle things at the lowest possible level"

you have done this .. i think you should be applauded...

instead of bitching about it .. you took it into your own hands .. imho the leaders of groups SHOULD take it into their own hands ..

often times im in groups where similar things happen .. two groups end up in the zone and arguing ensues ... now i am no mud leader .. but i AM a leader in my job .. and have been trained as such ... typically in the mud egos get involved instead of rational thinking ... and the imms have to be involved .. why?? can't we handle this stuff ourselves???

way to go guys :) and good ideas :)

-Momma Jen has spoken

Edit: if fewer than 10-12 can handle it, let them go for it!! if they spank at every mob .. then they obviously can't and need to rethink their strategy anyway ...
Gura
Sojourner

Postby Gura » Sun May 04, 2003 6:53 pm

maybe jot invasion should be upgraded to make it harder for people to walk in the zone with less than 10. cuz i do agree it could be done with less people. add more mobs on the grid. make them block etc.. make it hrm...fun and messy.
Dornax says 'And for the right amount of information ye might get some nookie out of Nokie..'

Nokie wiggles his bottom.
Teba tells you 'let me do my job you volo twinker!'
Bobidibble GCC: 'yeah i admit gura is a better warrior then i am, no shame in it... perhaps someday i shall be as pimp'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sun May 04, 2003 10:40 pm

Yes, please make this a tougher zone...it used to be fun and deadly...now its just a race to an easy zone.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon May 05, 2003 2:36 am

OMG!! something can be enjoyable for a mid sized group of skilled players!! This must be dealt with.. IMMEDIATELY! We must place some lost DRACHOLICHES from MD at the tree to keep them out!
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Gyrx
Sojourner

Postby Gyrx » Tue May 06, 2003 12:14 pm

Ashiwi wrote:I never said you were crying Gyrx, don't take things personally.

Damn dude, you keep on saying things that never took place.
Gyrx
Sojourner

Postby Gyrx » Tue May 06, 2003 12:16 pm

Gura wrote:maybe jot invasion should be upgraded to make it harder for people to walk in the zone with less than 10. cuz i do agree it could be done with less people. add more mobs on the grid. make them block etc.. make it hrm...fun and messy.

Messy is good...Messy is fun....I like messy.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue May 06, 2003 1:31 pm

Gyrx wrote:Messy is good...Messy is fun....I like messy.

Calm down man, here's a tissue. I can't believe you got that last message out inbetween the raging firehose of tears.

Postby Guest » Tue May 06, 2003 2:17 pm

Well i didnt read every post here so i hope this isnt a repeat but..

Why not make a gate leading into the zone, with some reasonably buff guards. First group (and it takes a group to kill them) to kill the guards gets the key, which can be used to lock all other players out of the zone.
Make it so that you dont need the key to leave the zone. This could be used to stop tweaking illusionists from scouting out rares with little or no risk, and then folding the swat team in.
Anyways, I like my idea, cuz its based on physical reality and doesnt require god intervention or any rulebook. Its just the way it is.

PS: the key repops on the guards once all players leave the zone, to avoid lock-downs and allow people to go back in later for random fun. Also, you dont HAVE to lock the gate.

Roleplaying purpose of the gate: The frost giants of jot are afraid of invasion from the world tree and the mysterious planes beyond. A frost giant gate guard says, 'You should have been here last shift...all kinds of strange creatures came crawling out of that damn tree, it was a real invasion!'
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Tue May 06, 2003 3:18 pm

bad idea gro ... you lock the zone .. key in zone i assume ... you group spank :( you are locked out (unless u had a sitter)
Gyrx
Sojourner

Postby Gyrx » Tue May 06, 2003 4:11 pm

Yayaril wrote:
Gyrx wrote:Messy is good...Messy is fun....I like messy.

Calm down man, here's a tissue. I can't believe you got that last message out inbetween the raging firehose of tears.

It was rough Yaya, but when it got really rough I kept thinking of you cheering for me on the sideline and I knew it'd all be ok. :twisted:
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Tue May 06, 2003 5:56 pm

Ambar wrote:bad idea gro ... you lock the zone .. key in zone i assume ... you group spank :( you are locked out (unless u had a sitter)

Re-read. Think ya missed the part about the key re-loading on pop (which would happen if a complete spank goes down and no players are in zone, right?) :D

I'm all for having a jot gatehouse put at the start to jot. Not an invasion gatehouse, like a normal old jot gatehouse. If you can't do normal jot gatehouse, what right should you have to doing invasion? I wouldn't want to see this gatehouse where the trolls are now, mabe 1up from trolls. Would prevent first group spelling up in astral to accidentally tag demo or something and then another group runs past. A buffer room would be good for leaders of different groups to discuss things anyhoot. :D

Yes Corth, I realize this kills little groups who rare check the grid. But maybe that's why rares should be, I dunno.. Rare? :roll:

-LL
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Tue May 06, 2003 6:11 pm

How about make a gate that guards jot. If there is an invasion the key loads in the gate house on one of the guards hidden in inventory.

If no invasion it loads on the trolls hidden in inventory.

That way if you kill the trolls and find the key you know it is !invasion and don't have to kill the gate house.

If invasion loads you know you still need to kill gate house.

Key pops with zone pop.

Gate is !pick

This leaves the zone small group able. It also makes the invasion groups have to have a viable group to get in.

Make the room with the gate have two gates. One for jot one for muspel.

If you want there to be two groups doing invasion (I don't but lets say consensus is yes) then you could have the gate house pop on group exit (pops only when you take the key) and make it pop with the key.

The key stays hidden in inventory for the time limit that the second group has to get there. After that the key disappears if still in inventory after that time limit.

Make second key a different color or something so the second group knows that there is a first group in invasion.

Keys are no locate no matter where they pop.

Make gate close and lock after first group enters.

Make key pop on repop of zone but make the second key not pop thereafter.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Wed May 07, 2003 1:45 am

The problem with having a large group guarding a starting gate house is that a tiny group would just go on it and die a bit resulting in a similar bickering filled situation as currently happens with claiming rares like zog etc. What's to say one elementalist etc can't claim invasion cos they are doing it in runs, even if these runs take longer than the second key takes to vanish. While this would be fun to do *lick* I really don't see how it would curtail any of the current problems of claiming invasion?

Putting some more thought into my questing olaf idea I think it could really work. First group to smite 5 beards and give them to olaf who is about to kick all the giants asses gets rewarded key to to castle by the impressed dorf. If they smite glammad and then the beards aswell they are obviously superior and get both. Need to make about 10 beards load all over so that one group can't just take 2 beards to tie up quest. Why I think a quest like this for a key would be better than smiting trolls / dragon / gate group would be that the beards speckled throughout the grid mean that you have to contend with some grid fights, some clearing of rhemos, all that good stuff in order to take the castle.

PS: however whoever smite trolls first gets all, or a 5 min rule or second group still sounds good.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Wed May 07, 2003 3:41 am

Double the mob count. 2 groups in at a time. First group to spank loses the zone. First group to gatehouse gets the zone. Make jot load !teleport for invasions.
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed May 07, 2003 5:54 am

I know we're way way beyond such simple solutions but I was wondering if anyone could explain to me whats wrong with either of the following two proposals:

1) First group that kills trolls gets pick of palace or glammad. If no other group is at jot 20 minutes into boot, they get entire invasion.

or

2) First group that kills trolls get entire invasion.

Maybe I'm being simple minded insofar as neither of my proposals involves adding mobs, adding gatehouses, making the zone !tele, creating a quest for a key, or otherwise changing what is almost universally regarded as a great zone.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Wed May 07, 2003 7:11 am

Corth wrote:I know we're way way beyond such simple solutions but I was wondering if anyone could explain to me whats wrong with either of the following two proposals:

1) First group that kills trolls gets pick of palace or glammad. If no other group is at jot 20 minutes into boot, they get entire invasion.

or

Maybe I'm being simple minded insofar as neither of my proposals involves adding mobs, adding gatehouses, making the zone !tele, creating a quest for a key, or otherwise changing what is almost universally regarded as a great zone.

Your No. 2 is something a lot of people have agreed with already.

No. 1 is out because there is really no reason for the zone to be split up, since one group is easily capable of doing it all.

And yes adding gatehouses and mobs and !tele spots is odd and hopefully won't happen, but making invasion load on quest is quite an interesting proposal.
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

Gura: ..btw, being a dick is my god given right as an evil.
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Wed May 07, 2003 12:08 pm

I think that one group getting invasion is fine.

The reason for the other suggestions like gate house, etc. is the other issue of "how big a group can claim".

Can I claim invasion if I get my shaman up to the trolls and do them in runs?

If I start on the Trolls and add people as I go is that ok?

How long do I have to get my group together after I kill the trolls?

These are the bigger issues.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed May 07, 2003 2:09 pm

trolls get done every single boot and I have yet to see two groups have a dispute over who gets choice of zone. You dont typically know that jot invasion has loaded until AFTER you kill the trolls... so situations with people suicidally throwing themselves at the trolls are rare indeed. Its quite apparent in almost every case who owns the zone.

Btw, good luck trying to solo the trolls in runs with your shaman. Lets just say that those trolls will regen about two times quicker than you can damage them under the best of circumstances.

Goddamned slippery mage.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed May 07, 2003 2:20 pm

Corth wrote:I know we're way way beyond such simple solutions but I was wondering if anyone could explain to me whats wrong with either of the following two proposals:

or

What if two groups capable of killing the trolls gets to the trolls simultaneously?
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed May 07, 2003 3:25 pm

what if my grandma had balls?

heh

The trolls are done every single boot and as far as I know there has never been a real dispute over who got there first. This doesnt mean that there havent been any. It just means that should they exist, such disputes are exceedingly rare. Furtheremore, every other proposed solution besides questing invasion would suffer from the same hypothetical 'simultaneous' problem.

Corth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed May 07, 2003 3:37 pm

I may not be able to solo the trolls, although I haven't really tried yet, but I can sure 2-man them. Does that mean that if I and one other person get there first, we get invasion?

As much as I like the sound of that, that's precisely why I still prefer some kind of group limiter.
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Wed May 07, 2003 4:24 pm

Keep in mind that right now that second group that gets up there knows that they will at least get half of the invasion if it loaded, can walk by the group doing the trolls (I believe that is right though not sure) and then try to get their group ready the fastest to claim the palace.

As a result there is not that much contention over who kills the trolls.

If that changes to whoever engages the trolls the fastest gets invasion, then you can bet that you will have much smaller groups engaging the Trolls than will be able to do invasion. You will then have that second group sitting there with 12 people ready to do invasion watching as someone throws fire elementals in there as they PWB the trolls and sends tells to their friends saying "consent for jot invasion!"

This is the reason that many of us have suggested a sterner test for invasion without making the regular zone impossible to get into for a smaller group that could hunt rares/do the grid.

Iit makes it easier to say "hey, there is no way in hell you can two man a gatehouse. Get out of the way."

Or petition "We got two bards up here in Jot claiming Invasion while two maning the gate house with max wimpy on"
Vandic
Sojourner

Postby Vandic » Wed May 07, 2003 5:07 pm

A twist on some of the other ideas previously thrown around:

1. Add gatehouse rooms to both Jot and Muspel, between the tree and the zone entrance.

2. For normal loads, leave the gatehouse(s) unlocked and put a couple of blocking gate guards at the gate. Nothing a lot more powerful than the trolls, so the small grid-hunting groups can still get through.

3. For invasion loads, lock the gatehouse(s) and put a quest mob in front of them that you use to quest the key to get in.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Thu May 08, 2003 7:08 am

The prob with adding any more gate keeper mobs, whether it be a gatehouse / more trolls / etc etc, is that you still have the same situation where you are doing one fight to establish your claim to a zone. Deciding who is capable of doing this fight and what constitutes fairly starting it will have exactly the same problems as smiting trolls first. Possibly it will have the added problems that once you see these mobs you know invasion loaded so starting on them immediatly with your anychar, is worthwhile. It also doesnt solve the question of one or two groups allowed in invasion. Otherwise I pretty much think exactly what I posted last time.
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Thu May 08, 2003 12:11 pm

Sarell wrote:The prob with adding any more gate keeper mobs, whether it be a gatehouse / more trolls / etc etc, is that you still have the same situation where you are doing one fight to establish your claim to a zone. Deciding who is capable of doing this fight and what constitutes fairly starting it will have exactly the same problems as smiting trolls first. Possibly it will have the added problems that once you see these mobs you know invasion loaded so starting on them immediatly with your anychar, is worthwhile. It also doesnt solve the question of one or two groups allowed in invasion. Otherwise I pretty much think exactly what I posted last time.

The difference is that I can't really claim that I can two man a gatehouse.

My suggestion is that the gatehouse loads all the time. The difference is where the key to the gates loads. If !invasion key loads on trolls. If invasion key loads in gatehouse.

So you have to kill the trolls to find out if invasion loads. Then you need a group to kill gatehouse which is the test of whether or not you can do invasion.

I think one group per zone period.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Good and the Bad

Postby Llaaldara » Thu May 08, 2003 2:46 pm

One Group Gets all Invasion:
- Group doesn't have to rush and risk a spank to prevent another group from showing up
- More equipment for group split, might also lead to less bitching at split since more people would be able to walk away happy?

Invasion is Split Up:
- Evilrace players will be more inclined to relog AS THEIR EVIL after a boot to attempt invasion, knowing they have a little time to work with. (Anyone notice last nights reboot? 20 Evils before boot, 6 after. ~sniff~)
- With more time allowed to get to jot, less stress between group leaders and followers. This could possibly cut down on the amount of leaders snapping and threatening to never group people again bc they didn't consent fast enough to check freaking invasion.
- With two seperate groups doing jot, if one spanks, other could quickly help out on CR. Thanks again for leading that Lili! :D You Rule!

Um.. I can't think of anything else atm. :\

-LL
Selias
Sojourner

Postby Selias » Thu May 08, 2003 9:49 pm

Lots of good ideas floating around in this thread. I'm going to try not to repeat any ideas, but there are some that would seem to work.

I'd say keep trolls as they are, but definitly have some sort of group hanging out at the tree when invasion loads. Make them wander, but also track to combat from several rooms away... that way once one of them is engaged, the entire group will spam in. This will make sure that people don't camp the tree, as well as ensuring that only a solid group could claim invasion. I'm suggesting that there be a dragon, maybe 2 (small, large), 2 or 3 beards, and like 3 or 4 soldiers. That's a total of 6-9 mobs. They wouldn't load eq, but the group that took them down would lay claim to the invasion. If jot invasion loads, load up with fire giants/red dragons. If musp invasion loads, load up with frost giants/white dragons. I'm sure you all get the idea.

I'm also in favor of 1 group gets the invasion. It's absolutly absurd that one group can start clearing grid in 30mins, and just as they are about to whack glammad, a 2nd group comes in and claims half of invasion. The race to tree for invasion is a lot of fun, more weight should be attached to it.

If you load up a group of mobs that wander tree at invasion boot, then I don't see a reason to seperate musp and jot. However, I do believe that is a good idea in general, because 2 zones of that magnitude should not be that close together. The giants are invading, they're not just taking a leisurely walk through their homeland and climbing a tree, so make them seem to have "walked" to their invasion spot.

Another idea of merit is to force invasion loading through a quest. You go talk to a mob on either side, and he asks you for a specific set of items. These items could be dynamic, so that every boot they change. That way PCs will have a harder time farming the items to just constantly pop invasion. If a quest is added to pop invasion, please don't get rid of regular invasion loads. My first/only time leading jot invasion, I found it by accident. If I had to pop it, I never would have expeienced the trials of loki's jarls.

Sorry to ramble, but these ideas seem to me to be the best ones. Mainly because they are dynamic in nature. "Oh, wow! People are beating that invasion load group too quickly... guess it's time to add more mobs to it". Or "Jeez, it seems that people can pop invasion every boot, that's no good. Guess we'll have to add more quest items."

I have a cold heart, and skin of ice, so your flames will do nothing!! :shock:
Wargo
Sojourner

I like Thanuk's suggestion

Postby Wargo » Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:59 am

However, instead of doubling the mob count during invasion. Why not triple, quadruple, quintaple them? Allow it to be a free for all. Every group get one chance. You spank you lose your chance. First group that kills the glammad gets his loot. First group to charge 2nd gatehouse gets first crack at surtur.

Benefits:
1. No more newbies in Invasion (no more hollow group effect)
2. Retain the race factor (the most enjoyable factor of the zone)
3. Let your skillz claim you the price (it's tough...it's REALLY tough)
4. Just because you are first, doesn't mean you are good enough (are you really sure you want to be the first one to charge?)

Yssilk

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”