Bard Quality, Round 2...

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.

Bard Quality, Round 2...

Postby Guest » Sat May 17, 2003 11:55 pm

OK, so going over the numbers, I noticed that it's pretty hard to hit the caps. I'm making the following modifications:

1. The actual amounts now scale along with the caps. This means that if you get a high quality success you'll hit the cap. Effectively your song qualities will be better (do more, give more hit/dam, heal more, etc).

2. The special affects from songs like offensive harmony, defensive harmony, etc now scale as well. This means that you might have to achieve a slightly higher hit/dam from offensive harmony to get the haste. However, it's still 2/3 of the cap (which is what it's always been).

3. The slow affect from offensive disruption became silly easy when I raised the cap (and particularly now that I scaled actual results), so I've raised the threshold on that. It's not something you're going to hit as an individual bard all that often, unless you sing the song for awhile. If you have accompaniment, it will be very frequent now.

4. Accompany will be quite a bit easier to notch.

Basically, accompany will increase the overall performance of songs quite a bit more, and be consistent about it.

One thing to note, I may discover that the caps are a bit too high, now that the songs scale to them. I may have to ease off on the caps a bit, either in general or on particular songs, so be aware that there may be a downgrade that will happen to these in the future.
Xolan
Sojourner

Postby Xolan » Sun May 18, 2003 7:43 am

like anyone zoning will want TWO bards in the group....
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sun May 18, 2003 7:56 am

Xolan wrote:like anyone zoning will want TWO bards in the group....

with the dwindling pbase it's a good possibility
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Sun May 18, 2003 12:00 pm

had two today...shrug
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Sun May 18, 2003 2:12 pm

Sarell wrote:had two today...shrug

Oooooh, a bard sandwich.... :wink:
Meatshield
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Sun May 18, 2003 9:20 pm

Okay, I'm glad that things are happening for bards once again and I thank Iyachtu for taking the time to make changes.

But changing offensive disruption--one of a bard's three key (read: most played in-battle)--songs so a zone leader has to group two of us in order to get the slow proc with any sort of regularity is just silly. In effect, you've handicapped a bard off the bat and forced zone leaders to consider whether having a single bard is even worth having in a group and whether the slow proc is worth the price of losing two spots in a group of 15.

And why in all hell are you focusing on the accompany part of the bard class??? We are a handicapped class, forcing us to pair up in order to be truly useful only handicaps the class more. Why does it seem that the Imms are so god damned worried that bards might become useful? Am I going to twink shit if my songs are a little more powerful without having some other guy attached to my hip and singing back-up? Or if I should god forbid have more than three truly useful battle songs? God forbid song of miscast magic should be fixed. No, let's make it so a bard's got to fuckin' be paired off with another one in order to almost be as good as one of any other class. I can't fathom what the hell is going on here.

I'm rambling a bit and if I sound angry it's because I am and that fact will not change for some time to come. Completely and utterly disappointed and confounded.

Postby Guest » Sun May 18, 2003 9:30 pm

1. The change to offensive disruption isn't drastic. You can still get the slow affect. I just don't like changing something and not mentioning it.

2. I'm not focusing on accompany all that much. The changes over the last few days have a significant impact on the general quality of songs that a single bard is using.

Accompany was affected by this last change simply because I tied the quality of songs to the actual cap they have, which means that accompany is doing quite a bit more than before. I'm not trying to make every bard on the mud find a partner, but I *am* trying to make it so that if they do, it does something useful.

Miscast Magic is on my list of things to tweak. Its chance of affecting the mob has gone up, just like every other song over the last few days.

Postby Guest » Sun May 18, 2003 9:42 pm

Incidentally, it's exactly 2.2% more difficult now.

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”