Jot Tree

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Wobb
Sojourner

Jot Tree

Postby Wobb » Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:49 am

Seems a little rough. I can understand having mobs etc up there. but with the strangle/block code, its a little rough.

I dont think 3 frost giants at tree would pose as much of a problem. The mobs don't do enough to slow down a "real" group, if anything it gives the advantage to the group getting there "second", as they just walk past the mobs and into the next room. We had a group that could handle Jot but got killed at tree....seems out of balance to me.

Jot eq stats haven't changed (that I know of) enough to warrant that kind of change to the tree. I'd say remove the block/tangle from the mobs or get rid of them all together. People are only racing for invasion now, if anything have a bunch of fire giants load right there in first room off of astral.

Wobb
Malia
Sojourner

Postby Malia » Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:14 am

I like the tree as is..
1) stops people from sitting in the tree
2) you need more then just 2-3 people to do it..
3) i think branches 1u from the first 2 in astral should block also.. Stops rogues from sneaking past then ghetoing group into muspel or jot
4) if you dont got a group to kill branches, you dont have a group thats gonna do invasion, so do bother
Dugmaren mutters in a surly voice 'Got any new strategy or going to continue with the "throw bodies at them til they get bored"? '

Dranth group-says 'i started drinkin when i found out galzar would be here'

Nerox says 'careful she goes from 0 to bitch in .00000001 seconds'

Mugo ASSOC:: 'ah got it on my gaytimer now :P'
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:42 am

the funny part is if you have enough to do the branches you have overkill to do Jotunheim :)
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:57 am

Malia wrote:4) if you dont got a group to kill branches, you dont have a group thats gonna do invasion, so do bother

Agree 100% dalar, new tree solves invasion, shame about 90% of the time when invasion hasn't loaded you have to take double the number of people get to the regular zone than the zone itself takes - which leaves the zone being boring and tedious.

Tree is great for invasion, cept most of the time it isnt invasion.

Tree hurts musp questing a lot. If we can't get in there we can't learn the quests. Specially when quests require rare loads from there. People who didn't get to learn musp quests before tree changes now stand very little chance of ever being able to. Also, people that don't play in primetime just can't go to jot anymore.

Aside from this, the tree code is very cool. I like the strangling, it is a classy tree with a fair bit of character heh. Perhaps you could always have the initial branches, but just load a few more up above and around the place in invasion.

and stopping people sitting in tree doesnt matter, if you can sit in tree and check rares you can sit in brimirs and check rares.

"2) you need more then just 2-3 people to do it.. " what's good about that?
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:36 am

When I heard what happened to the tree I promised myself that I wouldn't play until it was fixed.. and I have not played since..

to me it was the straw that broke the camel's back.. another thoughtless move to fix one problem while creating new problems..

What I liked about jot was that there were fun things to do there for both big and small groups. There arent many other zones that can say that.

So when jot was completely ruined for the small group, I said to hell with it..

Corth
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:06 pm

I think Jot tree is almost perfect. If some wander and you get caught in a pop yah it can get ugly, but it really doesn't require this 'massive' group. You can bust into Jot/Muspel with 6 to 8 people easy enough, if you can't handle branches, you really shouldn't be up there.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:07 pm

belleshel wrote:I think Jot tree is almost perfect. If some wander and you get caught in a pop yah it can get ugly, but it really doesn't require this 'massive' group. You can bust into Jot/Muspel with 6 to 8 people easy enough, if you can't handle branches, you really shouldn't be up there.

Well we sure spanked last night with 14 people. Course our group wasn't really well filled out class wise, but still. Not so easy when you can't mem out.

It does appear that the tree is now only designed for a large fully armed to the teeth group ready to do invasion. I fear the day a full group actualy spanks in jot. *shiver* With the new leaders popping up, this is a strong possibility. :?

All in all, it was a challenge. I look forward to my next trip! Branches made it.. well interesting. New. Fun. Dangerous. Maybe the number of them loading should be rare? :wink:

-LL
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:22 pm

Was this a Mori-group? Hasn't he proved he can spank a full group on just about anything? I'd much rather have 5 competent groupies then another 13 sandbags. If 14 spanked you either had really _really_ bad luck, or people weren't doing they're jobs (afk ect). I'm suprised you didn't spank in Astral on the way to tree;). The repop time might be a bit high, they show up pretty quickly, but nice for exping!
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:48 pm

I dunno, I got into jot through tree the other day with a group of 4 ppl.
But this won't be an issue because people probably won't be going there after the eq gets downgraded :P
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:10 pm

belleshel wrote:Was this a Mori-group? Hasn't he proved he can spank a full group on just about anything? I'd much rather have 5 competent groupies then another 13 sandbags. If 14 spanked you either had really _really_ bad luck, or people weren't doing they're jobs (afk ect). I'm suprised you didn't spank in Astral on the way to tree;). The repop time might be a bit high, they show up pretty quickly, but nice for exping!

To flame or not to flame...

Well I didn't die. Think I was the only one that didn't that was part of the action and not playing tag with astral babes. *points to a certain sexy snake*

This fight kinda saddened me. I casted every offensive Sesexe had and stuff was still coming at us. *sniff* I musta been having an off day.

I'd tribute the spank to not havng a resser on hand and having a couple new people in important class roles plus a little bad luck maybe?

If you go slow and wait for them, yeah it's not gonna be such a prob. But if you push it.. there could be issues.

Well N E wayz! :D

-LL
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:34 am

I just want to know why 'The Tree of Life' kills stuff.
Branthur
Sojourner

Postby Branthur » Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:36 am

Life isn't fair? :D
Osil
Sojourner

Postby Osil » Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:18 pm

I think a good idea to implement is to create a portal somewhere in the world that leads to Jot.

You need to do a quest to open this portal by getting some eq and giving it to a Frost Giant Shaman of some sort. He could be a world load or just inserted into Ice Crag or something. Or possibly a small zonelet of a Frost Giant camp could be added to the Spine of the World. Another idea would be to make the mob an agent of the Fire Giants (an efreeti mercenary?) that lives on the Plane of Fire.

The eq that you need would be norent to limit the amount of times you want people to bypass the roots. Of course the portal wont work if invasion loads but there is no way of telling that without doing the quest.

I think this would be a good way for smaller groups to get into Jot to check rares/learn to lead the zone. As it stands now you need a full group to get into the zone that you don't need a full group to do. This only seems to hurt lower levelers that need Jot eq or would like to lead the zone, but can't get into the zone because the roots are too buff for them. What do you folks think?
Osil
Sojourner

Postby Osil » Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:30 pm

(whoops double post)
Last edited by Osil on Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

jot tree

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:05 pm

Make the tree fairly doable with a four man group of good 50th players, namely by reducing branch numbers or hps and definitely reducing repop time. Toss in a couple rare load branches to make it interesting. Use a team of fire giants to stop invasion charges, but ONLY when invasion loads. Tada, Balance! Easy.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:36 am

I think it's pretty funny. I've seen more deaths at the tree since the changes than all the rest of jot combined for the last 10 trips I've made there.
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Get Toril Guides and Maps at Todrael's Lair
Get Item Stats at TorilEQ
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:14 pm

I am not sure what the problem with the tree is. We did it last night with the following group:

Lvl 42 Warrior
Lvl 42 Rogue
Lvl 50 Druid
Lvl 50 Lich
Lvl 50 Illusionist

I am sure that there are times that people just get unlucky but I think it can be done with 4 level 50's today.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:51 pm

Can you fix tree for a week? I want to see if Corth plays again :P
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:09 am

Heh....

I doubt I could play now even if the idiotic jot change was overruled by whoever it is that is currently in charge....

maybe on the weekends. Working 10-12 hour days irl doesn't make for a good mud life...

Not that anyone really misses me I imagine... :)
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:39 am

You were like that old man that just sits at his house (1w) and tells stories about when he was young or sleeps on the porch (afk). sucks irl's got you down. At least afk so they have relo targets and what not. Think everybody ditched their ranger chrs except for bellbottoms.

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”