Poll : Named Weapons

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:57 pm

After thinking for a bit about named weapons, I'd have to say that it'd be hard to have them in the game in the right way. There's already Saukuruk, Thorin's, a couple others, but things like 'dagger of oblivion' just sound niftier to me, and can be held by lots of people at once. One way to implement named weapons might be to have a super hard long quest that uses the random name generator to create the ending item. It could also possibly just have a random pool to draw from when creating the name (a large pool, say 500 pre-approved names or words) that could make each one unique. The only problem with the name generator is that someone will have Spork's glowing dread longsword.
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Get Toril Guides and Maps at Todrael's Lair
Get Item Stats at TorilEQ
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:07 pm

Todrael wrote:Thank you, Ashiwi. One of the main reasons I felt I had to post what I did is because I played a Paladin on Sojourn 1 and Toril, and as many people know, the roleplay enforced on them during those times was strict to the point of possible deletion for certain acts. For almost 3 years I played a Paladin in an actual roleplay environment here on Sojourn, and I haven't seen anything that came even close to that since. Stamm's use of his job as some kind of example is wholly flawed, as marketing is a very well-studied and practiced field of expertise with proven methods and college level degrees on how best to make a sale.

On another note, I find it highly amusing that everyone is posting their best to counter every argument made against them, pointing out flaws, adding new information to the debate, then tacking onto the end 'Now be quiet and let me have the last word.'

Just like the person above eh? :wink:

Well Tod, in the interest of our slowly re-budding of a kind of friendship after over a year of bitterness, hatred, and general unpleasantness between us, I'm not going to respond to your earlier post. Even if my body screams blood to blow you out of the water. I'm not going to do it. So on to other things...

Ashiwi, I'm coming around to the alternate view as well. I mean, I'm starting to understand the view point, even if I don't entirely agree with it. I can sorta see how some people might want to look different and not want to put much effort into doing so or going the RP way.

So I have a suggestion, and it's a suggestion I myself might actually act on, or actually help others to act on. I believe I've heard it here before as well, coded quests for restrings. I feel if a quest to do this was on the difficulty and costs of lich quest (maybe even harder still), yet ANYONE could do it in theory, it should be considered by the staff.

Especially if the quest was multi-dynamic. See Savras and his zones for ideas on what I mean by multi-dynamic quests, and then crank it up a notch. For example, what if the next quest mob you had to go to was one of 5 different ones that all loaded randomly rare? What if all the quest mobs were like this? So it was almost impossible to do the quest exactly the same each time? Something like 25+ routes to reach the end of the quest and earn a restring token.

That to me, would be interesting. :)

Ps. I think if people heard you were doing a quest to get a restring, and that's why you needed certain items from the zone your class didn't normally need.. I'd be curious to see how many people would really want to help you out just so you can make a fashion statement. :) Might keep them rare in this sense.

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:31 pm

Torin's is getting renamed/renansified/re-everythinged I believe.

Some obscure references to gods in the MUD, most seen in Griffon's Nest and thus based on barbarian cultures/names are Saukuruk (Auril), Pahluruk (Chauntea), Render (Malar), Blue Bear (Malar), Ayuruk (Ilmater), Tempos (Tempus), and Larue (Lurue). But because those items are references "of" that god(dess), they're not really "named" weapons/items. Another good example is the Volo boots that were restrung to "clay sandals of the Ogre Father", which is an alias for Grolantor.

Names like 'Dawn's Fire' and 'Nightbringer' are what are not allowed under the current eq rules. I think it's good they're not allowed because back in the old days everyone walked around with Frostbite, Twilight, Nightbringer, and several other weapons. Defeats the purpose of having a one-of-a-kind item like that. But yes, properly named weapons are allowed under the restring rules, so there's your glimmer of light at the end of a very long tunnel.

I'm all for unique +style items too, like dagger of oblivion, ring of darkness, etc. They're original and I hope more area writers put things like that in with upcoming zones.

Malar
Vandic
Sojourner

Postby Vandic » Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:00 pm

Malar wrote:Torin's is getting renamed/renansified/re-everythinged I believe.

Malar

Dear God, I hope this is a sign that means Torin's (or whatever it will become) is due to make a comeback. While I consider it quite a thrill to be one of only four people who possess one - mine being on loan, but still - I would like the opportunity to acquire my own one day. It's definitely high up there in the realm of cool weapons, and it's not particularly powerful except in a few specific fights.

Having said that, I've jumped the fence several times on the idea of named weapons. It would certainly be cooler to have a Rockcrusher instead of just an ancient mithril hammer. However, I also respect the RP value of not having named weapons, except for those that are tied into a particular theology (an ancient mithril hammer of Clangeddin's fury? How about it! ;)

On the tangent of restrings, I would love the opportunities for obtaining them to be expanded, not necessarily in quantity but in the number of means of obtaining them. Have a long, rough quest, where the reward is 'a scroll of transmutation' that must be taken to a temple where a god could oversee the restringing. Require a story + an RP quest, whatever.

Okay, back to work :?
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:47 pm

Last edited by Ensis on Sat Aug 16, 2003 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:00 pm

How do you know what they do and don't do? How do you know that you're better than them? You're assuming a lot of things, Ensis, and you know what happens when you assume.

I believe I asked for people to stop discussing this on this thread. That includes people who are never around for the RP to get a chance to show us. Sorry man, but you can't blame us if you're not there when things are going on. We try to manipulate our schedules to provide the opportunity for everyone to get involved. Try reading the other forums for times (RP-Quest in particular).

Malar
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:25 pm

Malar wrote:
So you're saying people who don't participate should be handed restrings then?

Yes. Gimme.

A Thick Leather Strap named 'Discipline'

It better be in my inventory the next time i log on.

that is all.
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:38 am

sometimes you can roleplay well without being bold or even saying anything

how much does that count for in the rp points system?

question: do you really want all 15 members of the group trying to rp with the 1-2 guides at the same time? personally it just kills the fun when one or 5 of the supporting cast gets too zealous.

Where are the points for the guys who aren't trying to be the trash/smooth talkin braniac hero group leaders?

I'm sure the you guys considered this stuff a long time ago, I just never felt like I was noticed and since I didnt want to rp the big boss man i stopped going to these annoying look at me contests.

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”