Strange Situation

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Eza
Sojourner

Strange Situation

Postby Eza » Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:29 pm

Ok.. say a "friend" of mine finds out one of my passwords somehow, logs on one of my characters from *his* home computer - and gets the characters name changed by an admin.

My "friend" then proceeds to use my character as their own for a very long time, because they don't want to put forth the effort of leveling up one of their own (which he said on numerous occasions), and I have no way to get it back because I don't know the name that my person was changed to.

Well, this really happened to me.. but recently I found out what my characters name was changed to. I would very much like to play this character again, but now I am faced with admins and other players thinking that *I* stole the character from my "friend", or if I log her on my "friends" reputation would be brought down upon me when I'm not the same person at all, because of the name.

I doubt that anything can be done, but I really wish that it could. At level 39 my "friend" was able to change my persons name, and steal my character. Yeah, he found out my password somehow - but he should not have been able to get her name changed, especially with no way to verify if it was really me or not.

I'm not a hard core mudder - I get on when I can to do a few things and chat a bit.. when I get a character up to that level it's actually an accomplishment, I don't have 5 level 50 characters, and the one in question was actually the first character I ever made on Sojourn - which is actually my first character period because Sojourn is the first mud I ever played.

I hope that this hasn't happened to anyone else, I hope that there aren't a lot more people out there like my "friend". I just wanted to see what some of the responses would be, because I feel that it's a thoroughly messed up situation.
Holding this in mind
That if we fall, we all fall
And we fall alone

Re: Strange Situation

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:34 pm

Eza wrote:I just wanted to see what some of the responses would be, because I feel that it's a thoroughly messed up situation.

Eza, find me on the mud to talk about this.

Erevan
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Aug 21, 2003 6:24 am

why would you post this on the bbs? now some people are going to think u gave out a char and want it back
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Thraxu
Sojourner

Re: Strange Situation

Postby Thraxu » Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:34 pm

Eza wrote: At level 39 my "friend" was able to change my persons name, and steal my character.

I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you. But, my big question is how they got the name changed...I tried to get the name changed of a
27th level character and was told no.

There obviously needs to be some hard rules for getting names changed.
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:26 pm

i had my first warrior's name changed this wipe. i think it's not a problem if your name meets the guidelines.
Eza
Sojourner

Postby Eza » Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:49 pm

Dalar, I posted it on here because I generally can only get on the mud for a few minutes at a time and trying to explain the situation to two or three different gods at once with questions flying would have most likely taken much longer than I had. If I had given away the character (which I'm very aware is against the rules), why would I drag the gods into it and get myself in trouble? Why not just go to my friend, who doesn't even play anymore from what I'm told, and ask for the character back?People can, and usually will, think what they want so I can't really worry about that. I know what happened, and I know it's the truth - that's what matters. :)
Holding this in mind

And we fall alone
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:05 pm

This is a really bad situation. I'm sorry to hear it, and it troubles me.

Eza, is this you?

http://www.sojourn3.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11510

Caedym Shadowhock
Eza
Sojourner

Postby Eza » Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:24 am

That would be me :D
Holding this in mind

And we fall alone

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”