Use your brain

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Caedym
Sojourner

Use your brain

Postby Caedym » Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:54 pm

About a year ago Cyric offered up a challenge on the BBS to write a zone that was beyond the current MUD standards but without using new code, because new builders don’t get special code on their first zones. Being an actual game developer, I took his challenge to heart. Originally I was designing 1 zone. It has since forked out in to approximately 8 different simultaneously being developed zones that cover multiple player levels. So if you’re wondering what happened to me for a while there, there you have it. Some are close to being finished, some have a ways to go. It’s not just Cyric’s challenge I’m trying to live up to, but there are other factors. Such as putting the current world map of Soj zones more in alignment with proper FR map locations and size.

There was a thread on here with equipment ideas, but that’s not important to me atm. Equipment is really the last thing on my mind, even though I’m going to ask for a little input on one avenue of it, but that’s because it has to do more with quests. What I need from players is more direct feedback about the current existing zones. What you like. What’s good. What’s not good. What you’d like to see happen in a zone. Any zone ideas you yourself have had.

I’ve looked at the zone docs over the past years and they’ve come a long way. Interesting enough there are a lot of things that can be pulled off within the existing code to make things a lot more interesting, without the need for special code. In essence, I see ways to fake A.I. and really throw normal fighting tactics for a loop.

Imagine mobs that call for reinforcements when things get tough.

Imagine doing a zone that is different every time you do it. Not just the equipment you get, but all the mobs you fight along the way.

Imagine the major mob(s) of a zone having a different class each time you fight them.

Imagine being in a battlefield and new armies can arrive at any moment. Some friendly, some hostile.

Imagine fighting a lich that fights like a lich would really fight.

Etc.

So I’m looking for quality critical input here from all people able to do so.
Please elaborate wherever and as much as possible without writing a novel explanation.
Keep flamatory comments out of this thread, such as ‘your mom’ jokes.
Be serious.
This is your chance to give some feedback that could go to some good use, believe it or not. So either take a moment to use your brain and add something constructive, or loose all rights to complain about anything I develop because this is your chance well in advance.

What is your favorite zone and WHY?

What is the hardest fight in the game and why? Does this change for you if you are playing a different class? Explain.

What is the most badly done fight and why?

What is the hardest zone, as a whole, in the game and why?

What is the hardest quest you’ve ever done? What made it hard?

What was the easiest quest you’ve ever done? What made it so easy?

Do you prefer intra-zone quests, or multi-zone reaching quests?

List 5 items that rock stat-wise that have horrible ANSI you’d like changed. Suggested new words and colors appreciated.

How much would you pay, or give up, to do a quest that basically just restrings one or your existing items into something with same stats but a different name?

What would you like to see done in a zone?

(edited addition) Are there any D&D monsters not currently in the MUD you'd like to fight or see done?

Want to see zones that change everything like Talos did so long ago? Help make it happen.

-Caedym Shadowhock
Last edited by Caedym on Wed Aug 27, 2003 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thanuk
Sojourner

Re: Use your brain

Postby thanuk » Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:37 pm

Caedym wrote:What is your favorite zone and WHY?

Cave City. Because its pandemonium in there, and everything revolves around the warriors. Gotta bash, gotta rescue, gotta not rescue at the right time, gotta check incoming, its pandemonium. I gather its not the same for caster types, but Cave City is a warrior's wet dream for a zone.

Caedym wrote:What is the hardest fight in the game and why? Does this change for you if you are playing a different class? Explain.

Hardest fight in the game, in my opinion, is either the dracolich in MD or paracs.
Caedym wrote:What is the most badly done fight and why?

Same as above, and maybe the last fight in BC. They are only hard because they are cheap: lichtouching, cant heal, cant flee. Its not that the mobs are actually all that tough, they just do gay things like lich touch every single round, or they have some weird stipulation where you can't use a basic skill. I mean its one thing when a zone is !teleport or mobs have awareness, but when your cleric cant cast healing spells and you cant flee when you're hurt, its not hard, its just cheesy.
Caedym wrote:What is the hardest zone, as a whole, in the game and why?

Gonna have to say BC again here. Because you have to go through so much hard shit to even get in the door. It might be harder to get the keys than to actually do the zone, but i haven't done it enough times to be sure. Also the bleed proc makes things interesting(which is not something i consider cheesy like the other stuff above, except when it used to continue after you died).

Caedym wrote:

this wipe the hardest quest i've done is Kerns. The only thing that made it hard was waiting for shit to load in GC and beating a certain camping lich to the mobs every boot coughanilacough. Ever is erlan's for the same reason. But that oakvale quest is pretty hard too, i just haven't actually finished it yet. A quest for a certain something in trollbark is also fuggin impossible, but i dont have the time or the patience to do it.

Caedym wrote:What was the easiest quest you’ve ever done? What made it so easy?

gold mesh collar. You don't even have to kill anything.

Caedym wrote:Do you prefer inter-zone quests, or multi-zone reaching quests?

Im thinking you mean Intra-zone quests, as interzone and multizone mean the same thing. But if the quest is intra-zone and it doesn't need any rares, its not really a quest its just part of the zone. I like both types of quests, but i think that epic quests for top end eq should always be multi-zone, just cuz. They should also require at least one obscure item from a zone that's like 10 years old that nobody even remembers anymore, because it's fun to torture people. Every quest should require an item from menden-on-the-deep or the prison in the tower.
Caedym wrote:List 5 items that rock stat-wise that have horrible ANSI you’d like changed. Suggested new words and colors appreciated.

hmm, lets see.
1. sleeves from BC
2. sleeves from BC
3. sleeves from BC
4. sleeves from BC
5. sleeves from BC

Yeah that should cover it.
Caedym wrote:How much would you pay, or give up, to do a quest that basically just restrings one or your existing items into something with same stats but a different name?

eleventy-jillion dollars. Uhm that depends. If i get to pick the different name, id give up alot. If i got stuck with a new name, but someone else already picked it, not really much at all.
Caedym wrote:What would you like to see done in a zone?

Your mother. Sorry, but you were asking for it.
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Wed Aug 27, 2003 7:35 pm

Bronze Citadel. It's the only zone I've ever done that I felt I could write a true story about going there and conquering. A very immersive place, with dangers and epic quests and mighty foes. There are many zones with these qualities that I enjoy quite a bit, like Demi-Plane, Hive of the Manscorpions, and Hulburg.

What is the hardest fight in the game and why? Does this change for you if you are playing a different class? Explain.

This depends on the group quite a bit. It used to be Faelarae/Thorn, but the fight has been changed quite a bit since then. The hardest fights always have one of three things in common: they're either very hard or impossible to flee from, heal far too quickly, or have a large chance of 'random death'.

There are too many to choose from for this category. The main reason I would add anything to this would be because it's based more on luck than skill or ability. Seelie Court prismatic spray procs, Bel closing the door (but this can be overcome to some degree with skill), any dragon fight, and now even many fights with no-bash mages, thanks to prismatic spray. Requiring luck to survive just pisses me off.

Bronze Citadel. It requires the most amount of effort in an area that has quite a few difficulties just to get into if you spank, has huge quests that can go wrong in many ways, and one of the hardest mob types in the game as the only thing there.

What is the hardest quest you?ve ever done? What made it hard?

Lich quest. It had one part that no longer makes any sense for any reason, and would be impossible to figure out if someone didn't tell me.

What was the easiest quest you?ve ever done? What made it so easy?

Greenstone earring. It was really fun though. Bringing in a few pets, I was able to solo it without much trouble.

I think they both have their place. Quests that take place within a single zone tend to be more fun, in my opinion. Multi-zone quests often fall into the deadly trap that they must require powerful items or unknown items just to make them hard. If there's no theme, no reason for these items to be needed, then the quest just seems silly and pointless to me. Single-zone quests avoid this problem by having an integrated theme. I'm particularly fond of Scorps quests and BC quests for this reason.

List 5 items that rock stat-wise that have horrible ANSI you?d like changed. Suggested new words and colors appreciated.

1) a fiery silk tattoo - You cannot have a tattoo made of silk, and tattoos can't have silver strands. A fiery silk eyepatch, sure. Not so much a problem with the color, but a bad choice for copy/pasting.
2) a glowing brain medallion - switch the colors to be dark instead of bright.
3) an earring of distortion - same.
4) the wings of the griffon - some darker colors, like dark yellow.
5) vermillion chainmail sleeves - alternating bright colors = bad.

How much would you pay, or give up, to do a quest that basically just restrings one or your existing items into something with same stats but a different name?

I would give up any item I have besides BC, Hulburg, Tiamat, or hard Quest gear.

More areas that are submersive when it comes to the RP/theme, without being annoying about it.
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Get Toril Guides and Maps at Todrael's Lair
Get Item Stats at TorilEQ
Dezzex
Sojourner

Postby Dezzex » Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:43 pm

I'm afraid I will have to cheat and list more than one. My favorite zones to DO are Clouds, Hulburg, CC, but for all the same reason. Pretty much for what Thanuk said. There's a lot that can happen suddenly, and there's a lot to keep track of. These zones are well-designed for the zoning group, but not necessarily well done as a whole. The zones which I consider the best in theme, writing, and overall quality are Hulburg, Demiplane, and Hive/Seers. Demiplane is certainly not a difficult zone, but a large part of its charm is that one player or a small group can wander around and do the many things there are to do.

In the game currently, the BC Bel fight. It is quite possible that a run will end up in a pile of corpses, but without significant progress made. It requires a top-notch group and top-notch organization. Other fights of honorable mention I'd say are the final Bhaal fight, Kerdel/Brack,.. some of the invasion fights.. yadda yadda.

Can't really say.. The final SF fight is sometimes pretty badly done. :P

BC is decently hard, but partly just time-consuming... The fact that you must ress to return (until the gate room) makes things go cautiously; that is, slowly. The bleed proc on tanks eventually gets to a point where heals are just keeping on par with the bleeding. Timing and awareness are important for handling the patrol groups. Magic resistance ensures fights are long.

Eyeball earring quest was pretty hard, and I got quite a bit of help from Dalar doing that. Hard because of the subtlety, and some of the items are a pain in the ass to get. You have to be very thorough to complete it, with an in depth knowledge of much of the game. My first Trollbark armor was hard. It's very time consuming being in that forest all the time figuring out what comes from where. The final Muspel quest is no walk in the park either, but I won't speak of that one because I'm not the one that really did it.

You give a bloody bandit head to Urdok
Urdok gives 5 gold coins to you.

Classic. :)

Orr...

You give a bear claw necklace to The woodsman.
The woodsman gives 15 platinum coins to you.

One of the first I ever did no doubt. Sorry if I'm revealing too much info for some people. :( Hallmarks of an easy quest are: the mob *looks* like a quest mob, it is easy to make it talk, it wants items from the same zone, the items it wants are indubitable and easy to retrieve.

I prefer multi-zone reaching quests because it makes all my item and zone documenting useful. With a catch though. It can't be the kind of quest that sends you off to kill the big mob in a big zone just willy nilly all of a sudden; especially if it must be done that boot.

You give a token to some mob.
Some mob tells you 'Great! Now.. go kill Quturac this instant, because for some reason he stole my left sock!'

I'd give anything that I could get back for myself within a goodly amount of time. I hope this never exists though.

People complain about epic zones, but I want one that takes more than a day to complete. :) With places to camp/rent midway through.. journey to the centre of the earth or something.. bahha.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:51 pm

HotMS/LotSK, since it has a good storyline, reasonably difficult fights, strategy, zone interaction(rampager), and well thought out equipment.
Caedym wrote:What is the hardest fight in the game and why? Does this change for you if you are playing a different class? Explain.

Bel, hands down is the hardest fight I've ever seen. Granted I haven't seen it as much as others, but I believe the difficulty would still remain. I would imagine it would be the same for any character.

As Tod said, there are many that I believe could have been done differently, but I believe most single dragon fights are fairly lame. I would rather dragons were feared enemies again.

I don't think you can call one particular zone harder than another unless you went to them all with the exact same group. Group dynamics change how difficult a zone can be, but I'll agree with Tod that even going to BC you had better have the cream-of-the-crop to start with.
Caedym wrote:What is the hardest quest you’ve ever done? What made it hard?

For me, figuring out Kern for the first time. Many of the clues were seriously vague and some of the items were hard to come by obviously.

There are a lot of really simple quests that aren't vague whatsoever, and only requires a few minutes to complete. Elder forest has a great story-line and tons of these little quests for people that are new to the mud.
Caedym wrote:Do you prefer intra-zone quests, or multi-zone reaching quests?

Depends on if you are talking GC intra-zone or GCD, same with multi-zone. Are you talking GN, or Muspelheim. In both cases there are such a wide array of uses of either intra-zone items or multi-zone. I believe the best quests are difficult to figure out to a point, involve items either rarely used or incredibly popular, and involve knowledgeable fights(like UM2 stuff), or smaller quests within it.
Caedym wrote:List 5 items that rock stat-wise that have horrible ANSI you’d like changed. Suggested new words and colors appreciated.

1. a slender silverish elven longsword(dark green and bright red don't mix well IMHO)
2. much of the eq from ilshad zones or clouds just... gag me.
Caedym wrote:How much would you pay, or give up, to do a quest that basically just restrings one or your existing items into something with same stats but a different name?

I would give up a lot if I could choose color/name. I think it's important to be able to have your own style, without breaking out of the fantasy genre, and without being stupid about things. It would help RP a ton I'm sure.

More choices for who or what you are killing. Making it so invokers aren't the end all be all choice for damage because of areas. I.E. Zog fight somewhat.

T
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Wargo
Sojourner

Postby Wargo » Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:49 pm

Not the hardest fight in the game but definitely the most interesting:

the Vortex room in UM :D

Yssilk

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:08 am

Caedym wrote:I’ve looked at the zone docs over the past years and they’ve come a long way. Interesting enough there are a lot of things that can be pulled off within the existing code to make things a lot more interesting, without the need for special code. In essence, I see ways to fake A.I. and really throw normal fighting tactics for a loop.
-Caedym Shadowhock

I'd just like to say cheers for realizing that there is tons you can do with existing code. There is so much versatility to what can be done that it's insane. Several area gods we have have come to realize this. I've seen some things done that I wouldn't have thought possible by Savras like airship. Or what Dugmaren did with Musp OMG!
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:55 am

Yeah, about a year ago I tried writing a zone and did some insanely . . . spank-upping things with code. I'll send it to you if you want. The zone was never finished, but I posted a few hints around some threads at about that time. You can *totally* screw people over without even resorting to special procs.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
irta
Sojourner

irta's thoughts

Postby irta » Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:59 am

I like variety so it's hard so say. Gear is certainly a big factor as is novelty

Scoraxium. Hard to get people for (with it's length and heavy voker requirement probably the main reason why this is true).

Mages in general cast prismatic spray excessively (not adverse to prismatic spray but it's too heavily weighted). In general, mages should cast spells similiarly to their pc counterparts.

Never done BC but from everything I've heard it's the hardest. Seelie is probably the hardest zone I've done (no complaints, love the gear not that I've ever won a bid there)

Working on kerns. Rare mobs are a pain and I'm not comfortable begging people to help slay mobs for me either.

oakvale dress. It's a group thing so there's no begging for help, just a hard but fun fight, a roll of the dice, and a fun zone.

intra-zone or at least quests which are integreted into zones (i hate going to GC and just looking around over and over and over again).

List 5 items that rock stat-wise that have horrible ANSI you’d like changed. Suggested new words and colors appreciated.

brain medallions (various shades of black)
balorskin gloves (red and black)
earring of distortion (white and red)
armband of the sylphs (various shades of white)
amethyst ring (various shades of white, red, and pink)

I'd much rather there was just a variety of items to choose from with comparable stats.

Spectacular mob AI to give the zone difficulty and spankyness worthwhile of good mage gear. Multi-stage zones would be cool too.

(edited addition) Are there any D&D monsters not currently in the MUD you'd like to fight or see done?

Solar
Tiamat (bring her back).

the Irta
Last edited by irta on Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colje
Sojourner

Postby Colje » Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:30 am

Dezzex wrote:People complain about epic zones, but I want one that takes more than a day to complete. With places to camp/rent midway through.. journey to the centre of the earth or something.. bahha.

I like this idea, with "safe spots" during the zone, it could be really interesting.
Of course, time consuming...but if the zone is made in a right way...could be fun.

/Colje
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:48 am

I suspect many of you are deranged, since Brain Medallion/Distortion Earring ANSI is the most fantastic in the game.

Verm sleeves, however, are pushing it a little.
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

Gura: ..btw, being a dick is my god given right as an evil.
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:21 pm

Thanks so far everyone and please keep the constructive input coming! Also, please try not to use zone abbreviations. I don't know what they all mean. Some people call one zone one thing, and others call it a different one. I know BC and SPOB, but some of the others mentioned I'm not catching them all. I haven't done BC in a long time, so if anyone would like to elaborate on why that Bel fight is so difficult, like does he summon more demons the whole time? Have high magic resistance? !bash? Etc. Please feel free to elaborate as much as possible. I'm trying to see if there are similarities between things on a root level.

Also, I've propbably read each of your posts 2 times already, and will probably read them again. So if you'd like to edit your post, just put a tag saying you edited it, and I'll give it another look over most def.

Colje wrote:
Dezzex wrote:People complain about epic zones, but I want one that takes more than a day to complete. With places to camp/rent midway through.. journey to the centre of the earth or something.. bahha.

I like this idea, with "safe spots" during the zone, it could be really interesting.
Of course, time consuming...but if the zone is made in a right way...could be fun.

/Colje

I'm glad to hear this!! 5 of the zones in progress are designed to be adventure linked. What I mean is you spend a few hours doing one for a night and then set up camp and come back the next day, or just later on, and start the next linked zone. Some will be 1 hour long, some 2 hours. Some 3 hours. Time estimate does not take into account of spankage.

Here's a little on my views on zone creation:
I focus more on zone mechanics and fun factor as priority. As long as a zone has decent rewards and is fun as hell to do, people will like to do it.
I put heavy emphasis into quality descriptions for all things. Rooms. Items. Mobs, etc. This also carries over to creating a zone environment that is interactive with players, not static. I like folks to feel like they are really there.
I’ve also found ways to express ansi colors in different ways to a slight degree, but I’m not big on a gazillion color calls and alternating ansi. I feel the words should carry the weight of the material, not the colors I put onto it.

As for quests, on one side I don’t feel they should be hard to figure out as much as they should be to do. I don’t mean just big fights all the time, I mean making people use their class abilities and a lot of good timing, organization, and brain power. Then there is the other side, where I like to design quests that are very RP intensive with the mobs. I once wrote a 32 page (size 10 font single spaced) quest conversation, where you could choose 1 of 5 responses for each part of the conversation, and depending on what you said it would take you in different directions ending in different responses from the mob. In the Soj world this isn’t really possible, because unlike say Baldur’s Gate, you don’t get a drop down menu of responses to choose from. You can only keep asking keywords, but I think I’ve stumbled on a way to incorporate this type of questing in Soj regardless. Hopefully I can get this all to work smoothly, even taking into consideration a characters alignment. I hope this is something you guys would find interesting?

-Caedym Shadowhock
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:56 pm

Jot. Fun to get to. Fun to be in. Lotta fun fights. Nice rewards. Chance of invasion.

MD lich fight. A lich and a dragon. Yipes! Dunno if its hard as much as it is interesting.

I hate roots because most rooms are !magic. I hate seelie because all mobs spam prism.

BC. Takes so long to do and fights aren't always a picnic.

Caedym wrote:What is the hardest quest you’ve ever done? What made it hard?

Lich quest. It was hard because the quest mobs are vague in what they talk about. It forces you to look all over the mud for what you need. Some mobs appear to be broken.

Glowing crimson dagger quest. It's all done in one zone that hardly anyone ever does. A zone that's easy to get around too.

Caedym wrote:Do you prefer intra-zone quests, or multi-zone reaching quests?

Either. I don't mind zones that take you all over, but I don't like it when the resulting item is evilrace or goodrace-able yet quest items come from EM or GH (so people have to roll alt-race chars to do it). I also detest any quest that uses Chlora scales as a quest item. I don't understand why people couldn't make their own new global loading dragon.

1 flaming earring from fire plane (put some black and yellow in it)
2 lightning earring from air plane (dark blue ansi is :P :P :P)
3 ravenar staff from dk vault (the end ansi is :P :P :P)
4 starsilver chainmail sleeves (rather see in black and cyan like dscale cloak)
5 pretty much everything from clouds

500p-1k depending on how it looked. It would be neat if there was some way to customize it.

A zone that has more fem unique clothing. A zone that has stores that have sales! More shoes! Oh yeah, and a zone with paladins and rangers in it for good stomping! It would also be interesting if there were two different ways to do a zone. Like you could do the whole zone by following a series of quests, or rush it. The quests would take longer as you wait for repop, but doable with smaller group who has more time.

Caedym wrote:(edited addition) Are there any D&D monsters not currently in the MUD you'd like to fight or see done?

Quicklings! (not sure if there are any in game)
irta
Sojourner

Postby irta » Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:33 pm

Quicklings! (not sure if there are any in game

They're in GC. Not an interesting mob atm though. Need to be spruced up.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:55 pm

[quote="Caedym"]What is the hardest fight in the game and why? Does this change for you if you are playing a different class? Explain.

Far and wide the Fire Embody Fight. Strong second - Any dragon with bashers/casters in room.

MD Dracolich rewards aren't worth that insane fight imho. Have seen numerous times a scaled warrior died with over 900 hps from one hit.

Now that NPC Prism just kicks the living hell out of groups now, -SS eq looks way more usable. When you have -22SS and STILL get blinded or para'd over 50%, that's dumb - unfortunately it's happening. If Prism causes saves vs. para for some beam, and breath for another (I'm not sure if that is the case) then 'BOOO! Hiss!' :shock:

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”