Spell damage + equipment idea

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Gyrx
Sojourner

Spell damage + equipment idea

Postby Gyrx » Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:37 am

I apologize in advance if this has been already debated and summarily shot down.

The numbers I use here are completely rough and no where near what would be balanced or anything. They are merely for example!

My suggestion is to downgrade all spell damage, classes determining levels. Then there is an option for equipment (that would NOT be rare) just like hp and damroll etc. that adds to a classes spell damage which would cap at what we currently have (so you can get back up to 100% damage).

Example:
Downgrade invoker damage by..40% (after a certain circle so lowbies are utterly screwed). Then there is just this "stat" placed on equipment that makes your damage go up (like damroll for melee!) and it caps at some balanced number.

Pros:
1) This adds difficulty to CR's. Now you don't have spell damage completely raping the CR scene where the tanks and rogues and twinkies feel even MORE useless then we already are.
2) Since now CR's have a greater degree of difficulty, maybe it will help the staff come to some actual conclusions on how those messed up spank + crash scenes go. Because, honestly, crashes should have zero influence on how hard a zone is.
3) It adds some more versatility to mage eq. (this might not be a good thing?)
4) Naked mages actually become something different then equip'd mages. (other then hps and svs).
5) With the big eq changes coming in all the eq could be looked at right now and the changes could go in with them!

Cons:
1) I have this intense paranoia that if something like this is considered the "stat" would become incredibly rare and a level 50 mage would find it terribly terribly impossible to get back to the power we're already at. Yes melee is horrible right now, but that's being "fixed" we're told so i'd hate to see mages fubar'd.
2) This is a large change and a good time to put it in is with the rest of the eq changes (or maybe not), but that would mean the eq changes would be majorly delayed again and...none of us want that!
3) SPOB would have to be tweakified to accomadate this! (is this a con? :p)
4) Certain classes have piddly damage as it is, so they would have to give up a lot to get back to their damage they were before. Unless there was a lot of class specific bonus' or it was coded hella cool so everyone was happppppy!

Thoughts?
Gura
Sojourner

Postby Gura » Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:00 pm

omg! like making Power do something! wow!
Dornax says 'And for the right amount of information ye might get some nookie out of Nokie..'

Nokie wiggles his bottom.
Teba tells you 'let me do my job you volo twinker!'
Bobidibble GCC: 'yeah i admit gura is a better warrior then i am, no shame in it... perhaps someday i shall be as pimp'
Rihesesassixiz
Sojourner

Postby Rihesesassixiz » Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:09 pm

Gura wrote:omg! like making Power do something! wow!

Since power only does things for Illithids (and bards?) make spell damage based on the Mage's power :).
Gura
Sojourner

Postby Gura » Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:33 pm

really? you've seen a maxpower notch Rih? Last i heard power was only good for determining your psps when you level.
Dornax says 'And for the right amount of information ye might get some nookie out of Nokie..'

Bobidibble GCC: 'yeah i admit gura is a better warrior then i am, no shame in it... perhaps someday i shall be as pimp'
Rihesesassixiz
Sojourner

Postby Rihesesassixiz » Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:34 pm

Gura wrote:Last i heard power was only good for determining your psps when you level.

That's what it does :)
Gura
Sojourner

Postby Gura » Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:37 pm

so how much maxpower do you have from level 1 to 40 unless ur psi is an alt

Rihesesassixiz
Sojourner

Postby Rihesesassixiz » Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:40 pm

Err... 100 is the max unless you get a +max psp item?
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:30 pm

Doesn't INT do that already to some degree? or does it only mess with mem times and spell abortion?

It's an interesting idea to give power some kind of use, but I doubt every mage here would want to reroll a new mage, because no one took POW into consideration when rolling.

Perhaps instead of POW, some other stat which mages actually consider when rolling? CON maybe? I was going to say WIS but then you'd have mages and clerics competing even more for the same EQ. CON is about physical health and stamina, perhaps that's something your body needs to harness those powerful spells? I'm guessing most warrior types max their con out in char gen and don't really wear much. I'm uncertain atm, just trying to toss out some ideas. It would be an interesting dimension.

What about those stats that all chars have which players don't see? Like Luck. I think most of the smaller races have more luck then the larger races an average. Would that be appropriate then to base their spell power on such an ability?

-Caedym Shadowhock
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:56 pm

If any such system is implemented, then it should not just be based on a stat. After all, damroll isn't based purely on strength, it's strength plus additional modifiers off of eq.
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:03 pm

Too bad such a change would hose a good number of players who have been here since day one... We were told then that POW did nothing if you weren't a squid, and that if it ever was changed, we'd have an opportunity to fix the POW stat. None of the current mages rolled for POW(maybe 1 or 2), and thus they have 40-50 in it. A change like this is a bad idea midstream. If it were a pwipe, yeah, but in the middle of an incarnation, no.
Gyrx
Sojourner

Postby Gyrx » Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:29 am

Salen wrote:Too bad such a change would hose a good number of players who have been here since day one... We were told then that POW did nothing if you weren't a squid, and that if it ever was changed, we'd have an opportunity to fix the POW stat. None of the current mages rolled for POW(maybe 1 or 2), and thus they have 40-50 in it. A change like this is a bad idea midstream. If it were a pwipe, yeah, but in the middle of an incarnation, no.

Agreed.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sat Sep 20, 2003 3:00 am

I don't think power should be attributed to the damage, but have it more like a hitters hit/dam but call it something different for mages. So a mage would get an item that has 20hps +2spellpower or something along those lines. Also, maybe something to give them better accuracy. Not everybody can point a magic missile at a bullseye like robin hood. So give mages hit/dam or just dam...I think it would be a cool idea and would definately make CR's a bit more...challenging?
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Sat Sep 20, 2003 3:28 am

Every other mud has +mana as the main mage-stat eq. Unfortunately, that doesn't work here. I like the way things are currently set up, and wouldn't want it to change.
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Get Toril Guides and Maps at Todrael's Lair
Get Item Stats at TorilEQ
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:32 am

Heh. . . I remember this debate quite vividly. Some people did NOT take well to the suggestion last time.

Be that as it may . . . I don't really see the point of adding yet another confounding axis for eq, especially when all eq is getting standardized due to all this work they just put in.

I don't think that spell damage is overpowering in terms of allowing people to CR, because naked casters are incredibly fragile.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”