first impressions

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
izarek
Sojourner

first impressions

Postby izarek » Fri Mar 30, 2001 11:58 pm

First off, I wanna say mucho gracias to the soj3 staff and testers. Thanks a million!

Okay, here are my first impressions playing a half-elf ranger.

* love the exp bar. great stuff!

* stat roller: seems alot harder to get stats that are geared towards your class. Other than that, I like the clarity of it.

* resting moves and healing seem to be very slow. An human enchanter i was grouped with wasnt even regenerating at one point. I am, but its damn slow. This kinda thing could be sped up, cuz it detracts from the game to sit around all the time.

* RP value of new ranger/druid spells. Haven't gotten far with these, obviously, but they look great. Really appreciate the 'natureness' of it! Thanks!

* The anti-lowbie elements: wind, darkness, and hunger. Ugh. They such a problem. Always seems to be windy. Would be nice if that was less frequent. Also, torches, food and water should last longer.

* Casters seem to be getting a lil too screwed on exp. exp emphasis is heavy on dmg it seems, which brings me to my next and most important point...

* Do rangers have a signifiantly harder time hitting mobs in melee than warriors? Ive grouped with warriors and paladins and seem to have a much harder time hitting mobs than they do (equivalent level, equip, and stats). I'm not asking for equivalent bash or shieldblock, etc. But, the sword play should be *at least* the same. Are other rangers experiencing this, or am i just SOL? If its left as is, could there then be a cheaper way to get bows & arrows?

Kudos soj3

Izzy

[This message has been edited by izarek (edited 03-30-2001).]
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat Mar 31, 2001 6:58 am

izzy what's your dex? I had both paladin and ranger in group and the ranger was hitting just as much even though he was 2 levels lower... of course the pali wasn't using his 2h-er, so you might want to consider the possibility that you were hitting less because you didn't have the paladin bonus.

If anything, my personal impression was that rangers were hitting a little more often but doing a little less dam per hit (if doing a same-lvl comparison).
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Sat Mar 31, 2001 2:55 pm

my dex is fair. not great i know, but im a half elf, so even that should compare decently with human warriors. i have a hit bonus of 4 naturally and ive grouped with some that only had 1. If im wrong thats cool. It dont matter. I just wanted to ask just in case there is a problem.

Izzy who cant hit wargs
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sat Mar 31, 2001 7:00 pm

Hmm... I don't really see a reason why a ranger would hit less than a human warrior. The 4 hitroll doesn't help, but it shouldn't hurt you much either. Have you practiced your 1h slashing skill as far as you can? That would make a significant difference I think.

Other than that, there's no reason I can think of why you'd be missing more than a warrior.

- Ragorn
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Sat Mar 31, 2001 9:20 pm

yep its praticed. its at poor while everything else is bad, lol. oh well if none of the othe rangers are noticing it then it must just be me. thanks for checkin Image

Izzy, who can arch but not hit
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Sun Apr 01, 2001 7:46 pm

I dont know, I always have the sneaking suspition that im hitting less than everyobe else. I think its because you see your misses but not everyone elses so it looks like you miss a lot while everyone else hits a lot. Probably just in your mind.
Ruhr
Sojourner

Postby Ruhr » Sun Apr 01, 2001 8:03 pm

Whew, I can see it's going to take a SERIOUS time comitment to get to 50th lvl.

I understand why the exp tables are so high, b/c you all don't want to pwipe every again and stuff, but ouch Image

I really can't say much about combat b/c at low levels you're not going to hit much with junk eq--and the alpha-1 testers appear to be having some success (apparently) with good eqipment; it's that nebulous middle ground between 10th level and 46th that concerns me; will there be any snags along the river to the heights, any plateaus where for the life of you, you can't get up to the next level.

Another thing I noticed is that formerly solo classes (specifically paladins) aren't so good at soloing now (at low levels at least); it's as if with the new code changes they've lost that ineffible quality that allowed them to virtually get to 46th level on their own... Hopefully some attention will be payed to this, despite the seeming emphasis on declawing previously solo classes, i.e. conjurers and shamen.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Mon Apr 02, 2001 6:03 am

I kinda believe the XP tables haven't been made harder, the difference is that mobs and combat are a whole lot tougher:

-mobs regenerate like CRAZY

-I have a decent hit and damroll, yet sometimes I miss mobs of my own level 10x in a row

-mobs that are morted are frequently missed for 5 rounds

-mobs hit HARD, even the stupid ones like lizards, squirrels etc.

-mobs seem to ignore my -5ac Image (yes people I have some decent eq no whines please)

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”