*argh* Lag!!

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
namatoki
Sojourner

*argh* Lag!!

Postby namatoki » Mon Apr 02, 2001 2:22 am

Please, is there anything that can be done about the lag I've been experiencing? I'm using DSL in Phoenix and at times, the lag to Sojourn is just unbearable. I know for a fact that it will probably lead to unnecessary deaths. I have a feeling that it might be a west coast problem since some players I have talked to about the lag aren't experiencing it on the east coast. Please, Miax or someone, look into this. Thanks.

Nizrath
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Mon Apr 02, 2001 3:25 am

This is really weird,,

I mud on the crappiest cable provider in Sweden and usually have superlag to various muds, but Sojourn is completely lagfree for me.

/Jegzed
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Mon Apr 02, 2001 3:43 am

I mud in CA. Given I have good connection but I get little lag. Maybe its your provider.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon Apr 02, 2001 7:11 am

Are you using 'Charter'? I've heard so many horror stories from my friends about how flooded their lines are.

Yayaril
Ruhr
Sojourner

Postby Ruhr » Mon Apr 02, 2001 10:04 am

Hell, i'm literally 5 miles from the sojourn3 server and I get nasty lag pockets--but it's b/c i'm on dialup.

So I suspect it's your DSL* not the MUD.

--------
*DSL why do people think it's better than cable? You've got a crappy twisted pair line vs. an nice fat broadband coaxial line. Anyone who knows anything about networking knows that the throughput on actual broadband (which is what coaxial is--DSL != broadband) is much much higher than crappy phone lines. What do you think they used for networking before ethernet? Coaxial broadband networks.

[This message has been edited by Ruhr (edited 04-02-2001).]
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Mon Apr 02, 2001 12:53 pm

It's not my provider since I have blazing speed to just about every other place. I checked the tracert to Sojourn and it takes about 18 hops to get there. On hops 12-14, the ping times are 2 to 3 times the rest of the trip. Also a few timed out. But it seemed rather lag free last night, so maybe it's getting better (ie new route to Sojourn?). BTW, (for those in Phoenix or nearby), I use Qwest DSL and it runs well.

Nizrath
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Mon Apr 02, 2001 12:58 pm

Oh, and Ruhr, the reason why DSL is better than cable is because you don't share your bandwidth with your neighbor. Just because the cable is thicker in diameter, doesn't mean faster speeds. You have to look at all the technology involved. Before ethernet, people used coax at what speed? 10Mbps. Ethernet runs at what? 100Mbps. Case closed.

BTW, I have no choice in my area since our cable company is slow as January molases. Anyway, I much prefer DSL. Also, I worked as a DSL tech, so I know the technology involved.

Nizrath
Ruhr
Sojourner

Postby Ruhr » Mon Apr 02, 2001 1:49 pm

Was talking about twisted pair phone lines for DSL, not 100mb ethernet.

If DSL is better, how come I could get 500+ mb/sec DL off a $40/mo cable modem, vs my dads $70/mo DSL with 30-50 mb/sec DL?

Yes cable does suck if it's oversaturated, or if they cap the DL/UL but you can uncap it with certain software tools. As far as saturation, this area has two cablemodem providers, Roadrunner/@home, neither of which are anywhere near saturation.

The only reason I could see justifying the higher price/lower performance of DSL is if you want to run a server (which they don't want you to do w/ cable b/c of node security).

Also, I consistently got pings off decent game servers in the area of 21 vs. DSL at 2x the expense of 100+ pings
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Apr 02, 2001 1:58 pm

DSL is not faster than Cablemodem, it's just more consistant. In DSL each computer gets a slot, and fills that slot with data which goes on it's way. Then it waits for the next slot to come along, which will always be X number of slots later.

The closest analogy would probably be a subway system. The cars always run at the same speed and they stop at a subway stop, where everyone gets on and the car goes. However the subway only comes by each stop like every ten minutes, so you have to wait for it.

Cablemodem is more like having a Corvette in your driveway. If you're on the road at 4am and there's no traffic you can get anywhere in like 5 seconds.

Cablemodem is faster, but can get lagged down from lots of use. DSL is slower, but always the same speed... at least internally. Lag outside the DSL service will of course seem to slow it down.

Sarvis
(And I thought I'd never get any use out of that networking class... heh.)
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Mon Apr 02, 2001 3:07 pm

Okay, I don't want to start a war over which is better, but I had to put in my thoughts. You wanted to compare lines and phone lines for DSL use CAT-5 twisted pair just like ethernet. So, in fact, those lines are just as good. Now, there are tons of factors that will influence your DL speeds. Distance to node/CO, weather, quality of lines, traffic, etc. I can't explain why your cable has a faster DL rate than your dad's DSL since I have no idea how close you live to your node or other info. BTW, isn't it against the cable company's policy to use software to uncap your DL/UL? Also, I pay around $50/mo for 4 IPs. So, it isn't that much more expensive than your cable.

I didn't say DSL was faster, I just think it's better. I'd take consistent and secure anyday over a little more speed. Plus I *hate* our cable provider.

Nizrath
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Mon Apr 02, 2001 3:39 pm

I use cable, and after the horror stories I've heard about DSL in our area(Verizon, HardvardNet, some others), I refuse to use it. I live on a quiet portion of the cable network, and I consistently get 1.5meg downloads, 95+% of the time. Not only that, I have rarely had problems with my cable going down. It went down once in 2 years, and even then it was for 3 -FULL- days because the node blew up. No literally, someone torched it. They gave me 2 free months of cable and internet access tho. Which I thought was very nice.

I ain't participating in this arguement, just giving my input. In my area, DSL is 2-3x more expensive, and simply not worth it.

------------------
Mal

PS - As always, opinions contained are my own, and are not intended to offend or upset anyone, but are merely outspoken thoughts from myself. If you have issues with them, bring em up, but keep flaming to emails.
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Mon Apr 02, 2001 8:19 pm

Having had both, each for over a year, I stuck with DSL. Qwest DSL costs me $47/mo, where @home cable cost me $40. Cable was unreliable for mudding (for me), and I found I had to keep a backup dial-up account. Cable went out several times a month for me. Yes, sweet bandwidth. But for me it was worth the trade-off to get the reliability of DSL. In 2 years, my DSL has gone down once, overnight. Not saying DSL or Cable is better/worse, but it would be a mistake to write-off DSL as second-best for everyone in the world. There are good reasons for those of us who prefer it.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Apr 02, 2001 8:58 pm

Yeah... I see yer point Mplor. But that's not saying DSL is better than Cablemodem, just tat your DSL provider was better than your cable provider. That's really the key thing either way... a shitty provider can make either service really sucky. I'm pretty happy with my cablemodem.. got the house networked for 3 computers and rarely notice any slowdown even though one guy is running a couple unreal tournament servers. But ocassionally it goes out for a day for some reason.. which sucks,.. but I have't really been mudding so I dealt with it... hehe.

Sarvis
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Wed Apr 04, 2001 4:43 am

DSL vs Cable:

DSL is more secure than cable (if you don't believe me look for a good internet scanner (a form of wardialer): it has the Cable IPs preprogrammed) and, as others have commented, is more consistant than cable.

Also, for ADSL, the up-pipe is generally half or a third the speed of the down-pipe (SDSL has equal speeds). On a cable modem, the number is worse than 1/7th.

If you are running a server, then I highly advise /against/ cable (SDSL is best, ADSL is next); if you are doing it as an individual, I still recommend ADSL over cable so long as you are close to the hub (DSL *is* distance sensative).

------------------

Elseenas of No House Worth Mentioning
Marforp
Sojourner

Postby Marforp » Wed Apr 04, 2001 7:55 am

Umm your screwed either with DSL or a cable modem if someone who knows what they are doing hits your machine your screwed. If it's some poor hack who has to use a pre-written script hits your machine and have you any decent protection on it (free firewall/updates from Microcrap) your going to be safe. It's not 100% true, but close enough.

Marforp / Sasdor
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Apr 04, 2001 12:57 pm

Man, Roadrunner sucks. Poor service, high prices, unbeliev-

Ragorn disappears in a mushroom cloud.

Miax OOC: Ragorn char-grilled by Tiamat [34131].

God Ruhr, you must live within spitting distance of me.

- Ragorn
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Wed Apr 04, 2001 2:07 pm

Hah, I love road runner. for 74 bucks a month to time warner, I get road runner and digital cable with a ton of channels. If i were paying full price for my digital cable, i'd be paying -$12 for my rr, hehe. And it's fast as hell, never had a problem with it. But if you want speed, wait about 10 years, i'm actually workin on a project called FTTH, or fiber to the home... Optical fiber directly to your house for cable, phone, and internet. Badass fast.

Galkar
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Wed Apr 04, 2001 2:09 pm

Well, i know some places have it already, but what i'm workin on is a cheaper way to do it, lower wavelengths, thus cheaper equipment.... so everyone will be able to afford it.

Oh, a problem with cable (if not already mentioned) is how it's freakin wired in your area. In areas where the cable wiring has been around for years, there are so many splitters in the boxes that no amount of amplifiers will help. These are the areas with real crappy cable modem connections... In new neighborhoods, like where my folks live, the speeds are almost horrendously fast, because the new wiring is better, less splitting.

[This message has been edited by Galkar (edited 04-04-2001).]

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”