Possible experience solution

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Tanras
Sojourner

Possible experience solution

Postby Tanras » Tue Apr 03, 2001 6:05 pm

Why not give less exp for damage and more for killing the mob?

I know this can promoke twinking low level characters but it would solve the lopsided exp gains. Right now warriors gain to 15 or so fast then the tables turn.

Until we see what happens with higher hit and damroll i guess this may not be worthwhile to consider, but it is something to think about and would make balancing the low level game easier.

Tanras
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Tue Apr 03, 2001 7:09 pm

Maybe make an exp standard per level of mob killed vs. level of player vs. level of damage per hit.... like 33% of each goes towards total exp gained. Sounds wierd i know, but say a level 10 and level 20 warrior were grouped and killed a level 25 mob.... for the level 10, he would get maybe:
(.33)(10)(damexp) + (.33)(10)(killexp)+(.33)(10)(moblevexp)=total exp
or something. I know this isn't worked out very well, just something to maybe stimulate thought....

Every great idea came from a "dumb" idea.

Galkar
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Tue Apr 03, 2001 7:18 pm

The problem with this deals with casters (using magic missle) and rogue types with things like darts: they almost ALWAYS get the kill shot.

------------------

Elseenas of No House Worth Mentioning
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Apr 03, 2001 7:48 pm

Thing is tho... mages are supposed to be hard to level. Look at mage exp tables in AD&D... horrendous at first. Like twice what a warrior needs per level if I remember correctly. But once a mage gets spells like fireball he can start kicking ass and getting mad exp to make up for it. The point is kind of that since mages are so cool when they _are_ big they should be hard to _get_ big. Only problem is on a MUD like sojourn once mages are big you can't make them all powerful or the other classes aren't needed... like in soj2. I don't think anything really needs to be done with exp itself... specially not damage exp because then rangers will never level.. heh.

I still like some of the ideas posted a while ago like enchanters getting healing exp for damage absorbed by stoneskin. Maybe conjies can get damage exp for when their mentals hit and things like that. It would help casters out for leveling without making it tougher on other people as well. I dunno... maybe for lower levels if it could be calculated when an attack misses because of an armor spell or something then they could get some kind of exp from that too. Can't remember atm what kind of protection spells lowbie chanters get though... but I'm sure something could be done. *nod me*
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Apr 03, 2001 10:37 pm

Sojourn isn't AD&D.

And in 3rd edition, all classes level at the same rate.

Enjoy!

- Ragorn
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Apr 03, 2001 11:20 pm

You know, I know that sojourn isn't AD&D. It is, however, based on AD&D 2nd edition. Which is why we have things like thac0 and AC instead of absorption and something besides thac0. It's also why we have invokers, conjurers and enchanters instead of mystics or something from another RP system.

However this has very little to do with what system we are based on, or even using. It's whether or not classes who have more power should have a harder time gaining that power. They should. The other option is for everyone to have exactly the same power... which is only possible if everyone has the exact same skills available to them. So when rangers, warriors AND rogues get meteor swarm I'll agree that 'voker exp is too tough.

Sarvis
Tinnel
Sojourner

Postby Tinnel » Wed Apr 04, 2001 4:20 am

Hrmm, make the exp table on the kill nonrelevant to who gets it? Dole the percentage out evenly amongst the group. Keep damage exp but relate exp to other classes on a basis of the skill they are using. i.e. Voker nuking or Rogue or Ranger ranging. It seems to me the class that takes the biggest hit for !damage is the priest types. I don't think "who get's the kill" should matter, it should go evenly across the group.

T
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Wed Apr 04, 2001 11:46 pm

I think a good solution to the unballenced exp is making casting during combat give more exp. This way if you stone or haste during the fight you get extra exp. Also stutus spells like sleep, para, blind, FF, ray, ect should get more exp. This would also help all those poor utility classes that dont deal massive damage *enchanterscoughenchanters*

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”