Idea for the last week of alpha

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
cherzra
Sojourner

Idea for the last week of alpha

Postby cherzra » Wed Apr 04, 2001 12:23 pm

How about a level bot that makes your character level 40 when you send it a tell, just for the last week of alpha?

My reasoning is the following.

By that time, most people will still be only level 20, leaving a whole slew of new spells, skills and balance issues (pertaining to higher levels) relatively untested. Now I'm sure the other alpha team did fine work, but they were only 15 odd people, and their primary task (if I am correct) was to work in groups to balance the damage/combat code.

This probably left out many other mundane skills/tasks/spells/issues. My opinion is that the staff can receive valuable feedback on these by 'granting' level 41 (or whatever) to players in the last week of alpha, simply because 100 players on 24/7 will dig up many balance issues.

I think this would benefit the mud, as it gives the opportunity to fix/address problems and bugs now, instead of over 5 months when people finally level up.

Cherzra
azzixxenae
Sojourner

Postby azzixxenae » Wed Apr 04, 2001 12:43 pm

Considering I will not start alpha until this weekend since my zone will not be finished until Friday..I LIKE THIS IDEA. If not for a week, then 1-2 days, just enough to test some spells and pick a class. Hell you could ban all zones except hometowns for all I'd care, just want to test the new spells.

Azz
Yuan-Ti's, get ready to be smited.
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Wed Apr 04, 2001 1:02 pm

Great idea Cherzra!
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Wed Apr 04, 2001 2:06 pm

I have to second this notion. Half the reason I wanted to hop on the alpha train was to get a feel for what it would be like to play a higher level (whatever). Although there are a variety of changes coming I think people were under the impression they would be able to test (all) skills. Personally I'm very thankful that we got to alpha-test at all, to check things out, but it's almost useless to a variety of us to test level 1-10 characters. We need to be like level 46.

The purpose of alpha testing is to test the machine, test the code, etc... For the admin's purposes, your handful of alpha-1 testers I'm sure is sufficient. I think your playerbase, however, will benefit more from being able to test the things they wanted to test, for themselves. Does this make sense or am I way off base here?

Wobb/Vurad/Dror
Tanras
Sojourner

Postby Tanras » Wed Apr 04, 2001 2:34 pm

dont like it,

dont want people exploring where they shouldnt be exploring in alpha.

Some zones are out, not all of them are tho. The Higher levels have been and will continue to be tested. I would be in favor of raising a few to the level but certainly not everyone.

Tanras
Me
Sojourner

Postby Me » Wed Apr 04, 2001 3:12 pm

I agree with Tanras.

However, if for some reason this does happen, it would be nice to be able to be able to become some other level than 40.

Open alpha testing is valuable and all, but in the three weeks I doubt anyone will reach 30. It would be nice to evaluate the performance of a 20th and 30th character.

Then again, I do hope you've already done this for all the classes.

So I will be quiet.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed Apr 04, 2001 4:11 pm

Come on Tanras, almost nothing is connected from what I've seen/heard. Besides, people are NAKED, it's not like we will all have 30000hp and will be doing manscorpions every day...

I don't care either way, my idea was meant to make the work for the staff easier, it's not like I need to explore anything... I know everything! nod me Image
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Apr 06, 2001 7:47 pm

Agree with the big slimy troll. Even ant farm isn't connected... I can't possibly think of a whole bunch of newly raised 40's doing too much in terms of spoilers. Plus, even if you're 40, if you're a newbie you're not going to be able to zone that well. A lot still depends on the MUDder himself/herself.

Party at chlora :P
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Mon Apr 09, 2001 2:40 am

I think 40+ has probably had alot of testing. Instead Id like to see people granted level 31 and testing 31-40 instead. With the extention of alpha 21-30 will probably have a decent test base already (if you dont keep promoting all the 20+'s to 40's)
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Mon Apr 09, 2001 4:03 am

I'm already level 22, and Alpha still has something like 19 days left? If you tried, you could test the mid levels too. I intend to test them without being levelled up by the imms. Sure, it takes work, but it's the way to do it if you really want to learn about the class and what works, and the strategies, and, for me, how to get back into Sojourn.

I suppose though if it was put in the way Cherzra suggested, with only those who wanted to do it, then I don't see too much of a problem with that. Just saying you should do it the hard way Image

[This message has been edited by Todrael (edited 04-09-2001).]
Xizz
Sojourner

Postby Xizz » Mon Apr 09, 2001 8:00 pm

Yeah! I want to organize an army of Hyssk citizens and run thru the vault there to finally see what's there Image
Vysslk
Sojourner

Postby Vysslk » Mon Apr 09, 2001 8:21 pm

I 2nd that motion from chez. I think its a 2 way street. How would we all have known some of the smaller bugs if we were all granted lvl 40+ right away at alpha? Same goes for ppl that ARE lvl 40+ now..how can they possibly find everything with so few numbers? Yes Im sure they could if they took a month or less but if we allow some/all the players to be raised lets say even lvl 35.. I think the mud would greatly benefit from this. Let the other ppl who are experienced help those who have been doing a great job testing out higher/mid end stuff. As for exploring.. I thought most bigger zones were not even in until beta? I dont care who you are.. lvl 40 with no hp boost(30k) and newbie eq your not going to zone anywhere you shouldn't be. Why keep delaying the thing ppl want most -----> to open beta! The main group of testers has done great I applaud your hard work and dedication..but I think it's time to let other ppl help out and even if we shave off a few days from the opening beta date we will have done good I believe.

- Vysslk Damn right i'm a Yuan-Ti...why will I be smited? Image
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Tue Apr 10, 2001 11:42 am

I don't like the idea of people getting anything for nothing Image. How about changing it for the last week to....
Every level you earn, you gain 3-5 levels. This would have a lot of people still testing/doing exps, but allow folks to shoot up to mid-highs during that week, allows a good testing of different exp levels instead of just lowbie levels, and would stop folks from sitting around just waiting for a free 30 levels to go fool around Image
Just a thought,
Belle

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 10, 2001 12:34 pm

Sorry, we wont do the bot thing. We will level characters up as necessary to test the higher level stuff, and towards the end this will go faster and the admins will be more free to do so. There are however guidelines for doing it, and I'm opposed to any kind of free for all.

Sorry. Image

Miax

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”