Some Necro feedback

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Ssryth
Sojourner

Some Necro feedback

Postby Ssryth » Wed Apr 18, 2001 9:26 pm

Ok, been meddling with necro stuff for a few days now.. these are a few things I have observed....

1) the mob lag on shieldpunch seems a little wierd- I used to be able to always start fights with them.. now sometimes I can't.. ordering the ghoul to shieldpunch avails to nothing at the start of a fight.. even after they haven't been doing anything for a long time. (pet level might have something to do with it.. there was a level difference in the two ghouls)

2) Vampiric touch - with vamp touch in effect, assist is broken; I assist in the fight, get my vamp hit, but do not engage.

3) Wraiths casting necro spells rocks... It really adds a whole new aspect to the RP side of necros.. no more bigby spamming wraiths! It's great how they cast blackmantle first and then beltzyn etc.. maybe they should cast wither too *wink*

4) Physical size of undead should reflect their size when they were alive... eg ogre sized corpse should create ogre sized undead.

Ssryth - (Zamossas)

[This message has been edited by Ssryth (edited 04-18-2001).]
Lyt
Sojourner

Postby Lyt » Wed Apr 18, 2001 10:26 pm

This reminds me of a funny story. Once we killed the gorgamera in GC, and then the red wizard of thay walked in and made a vampire of it. The gorgamera is huge, but once it was a vamire i was able to bash it. Cracked me up.

Lyt/Vaaz
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Tue Apr 24, 2001 3:09 pm

I've been messing with a mid lvl necro (lvl 31) for a while and noticed a few things as well.

1) I think that spectres need to auto-rescue. Whenever I get switched to, my spectres are mindlessly kicking so even when I order spectres to rescue me, they don't do it right away.

2) Wraiths are still very cool although they lost their ability to tank. That's fine as long as spectres stay the way they are (since they kick ass as tanks now).

All in all, I am pleasantly surprised that necros are still a blast to play. Image

Nizrath
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Tue Apr 24, 2001 4:15 pm

Heya... played Grelmik last wipe.. 46th necro...

1. Shieldpunch has always been a bit strange in terms of ordering your followers to do it. Dunno why, but sometimes they won't. *shrug*

2. Reason the specters don't immediately rescue you is because they had already kicked before the switch. They're lagged.
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Tue Apr 24, 2001 6:27 pm

I know that the spectres are lagged, but they continue to kick, etc. so they stay lagged and will not rescue. It would be nice if they stopped for a moment to rescue instead of spamming kicks. Or they try to do the next thing ordered to them so like stacking commands (prolly a bad idea).

Nizrath
Tanras
Sojourner

Postby Tanras » Sun Apr 29, 2001 7:16 pm

ya autorescue was changed, make aliases Image

Tanras
Ssryth
Sojourner

Postby Ssryth » Mon Apr 30, 2001 9:29 pm

More feedback Image

1) Evil warriors have given vampiric curse a big thumbs up! Although Kia did mention the % healed will be tweaked.. so guys don't get your hopes up based on what happened yesterday *poke Turg*. Not that useful for the solo necro though - the healing negates any "vamped" hp... but excellent for groupings. Although with this spell, the mob does get a save.. so a lot depends on how easily we can make this spell "stick" ... have tried this spell on a few level 50 mobs .. success rate probably about 30% to 50%. Have yet to try it on REALLY big mobs where this would make more of a difference.

2) It's great how necros get some nuking ability... even some spells that do appreciable damage Image ... no more accidentally disintegrating that key when we have nothing decent to cast hehe ...
This also makes it easier for a necro to "set up" .. ie get decent pets like big wraiths and ghouls. But the type of mobs a necro can effectively use these new nuking spells against seems to be rather limited ... especially undead but this has been raised in another thread.

On to some lich stuff now...

1) It's very cool how lich are flagged as undead now and how protect undead, heal undead etc all work... a few downsides previously unexperienced... protection from undead no longer works on liches... which leads to the scenario where a lich will be accosted by tiny niggling undead which in the past one could avoid... kill them? most lich spells backfire on undead.. and not many necro spells will damage them Image

2) Life Drain is broken - drains like 1 hp every single time

3) lich touch - changes to the para makes the use of this spell dangerous in many situations.. damage is nice.

4) rot damage along with the casting time.. 17* for failed qc, 7* for successful qc for me makes it unusable below level 48.. even then you'd need very good justification, eg 3+ mobs at least. Ice tomb damage is also around the same as lich touch and beltzyns burning blood .. in most cases ice tomb would be used last (not until lich touch and beltzyns burning blood have been used up)
Ice tomb and rot could perhaps benefit with a little upgrade in damage if all else stays the same.

It looks to me like the gap between necros and liches have narrowed - I feel the necro has gained significantly with the changes this time around.. and liches have dropped a couple notches. Previously it would have been almost every necro's dream to lich; now there is cause to give some serious thought into the matter and weigh out the pros and cons.

Ssryth.

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”