woodcarving

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
izarek
Sojourner

woodcarving

Postby izarek » Wed May 02, 2001 7:45 pm

Thanks for imputing the ranger changes! Here's some early feedback on woodcarving:

syntax: innate woodcarving (object)

not indicating an object will get you the list of choices. However, thats only if you successfully make the woodcarving check. That means most of the time you're trying to get the list, you get a lump of wood.

<> inn wood
Whoops! That didn't come out right.
You gather wood to use as materials and carve a failed woodcarving.

<> inn wood
You don't know how to carve wood into that.
Objects you can carve: torch arrow club staff spear shield quiver box canoe bow

Also...failed attempts leave failed woodcarvings around. Is that really necessary? Here's me making a canoe:

A Forested Plateau
Room size: Very large (L:75 ft W:75 ft H:500 ft)
Exits: -N -E -W
A canoe has been left here.
[7] A failed attempt at woodcarving lies discarded here.

Question: is the difficulty of the skill scaleable? Actually that's two questions: do you improve in woodcarving at higher levels and also do different items have different difficulties?

i.e. i think a club should be able to be made by a lvl 1 ranger but they'd need to gain a few levels (i.e 15-20sh) before being skilled enough for a canoe.

arrows: im so glad we can make bows and arrows. I would ask that arrows could be made in batches of, say, 5. It takes the same amount of time to make an arrow as a canoe, roughly. To make a significant amount of arrows would take a long, long time (since most attempts are fails).

quivers: A wooden quiver? This is *minor*, cuz im sure you peeps were thinking of making a quiver out of animal skins. Just incase you really, strictly mean woodcarving, you might want to rethink quivers. I'm happy with them in and interpreting this as a wilderness skill.

All in all im very happy and thankful, but these are my first suggestions. Thanks again.

Izzy
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed May 02, 2001 8:19 pm

You can make a canoe? Geez.

I think this should be changed to something more realistic, like a raft. You don't just 'carve' a canoe - making one takes many weeks.

A rudimentary raft however, can be made in a few hours.

I don't know how long it takes to make a boat now, but it should be at least 2 ticks or more... and it should be a raft and not a canoe.

My 2 cents.

[This message has been edited by cherzra (edited 05-02-2001).]
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Wed May 02, 2001 8:23 pm

Hrmm you can carve an arrow? With that kind of skill I'd think toothpicks shouldn't be that far off.
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Wed May 02, 2001 9:56 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
<B>
I don't know how long it takes to make a boat now, but it should be at least 2 ticks or more... and it should be a raft and not a canoe.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

16 second lag when making a canoe. That's long compared to most skills on the mud. I think alot of rangers wont like that, but I think its necessary.

And, you fail alot of the time...with the same lag. Roll up a ranger and try the skill out and see what ya think.

Izzy

[This message has been edited by izarek (edited 05-02-2001).]
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Wed May 02, 2001 10:04 pm

An update to my opinion on woodcarving arrows:

forget carving 5 arrows per try. Uthgar tells me code wont fit that anyhow. The lag on carving arrows is only a few seconds (about 4) which isnt too bad except that you still fail alot. So, I'd up the chances for small things (torches, arrows, etc).

Izzy

[This message has been edited by izarek (edited 05-02-2001).]
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu May 03, 2001 12:23 am

Yeah... something like a club should be instant success. I mean really you could just pick up a stick and hit something with it, which makes it a club. Image

It does go up with level, and it seems to have better or worse chance of success based on the item.

Hmm... it needs to check that the item can be made though. Two things I tried and ended up wit ha failed wood carving:

innate wood rock
< 139h/166H 100p/100P 107v/110V >
<> innate wood failed woodcarving

< 142h/166H 100p/100P 110v/110V >
<> innate wood rock

< 145h/166H 100p/100P 110v/110V >
<>

Hmm... lessee... other than that I think it's pretty cool. One thing that would be nice to add for just RP value is figurine option, liek this:

innate wood figurine raccoon
You grab some wood and carve it into a beautiful raccoon figurine.

A question though... why an innate instead of making it a skill? It's probably fine either way... just seems odd... heh.

Sarvis
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Thu May 03, 2001 12:35 am

Another thing...

I hate to say it but you were a little to generous. woodcarved quivers hold 100 arrows (that took a long, long, long time to fill, btw). That's way too much imho. It'll make deerskins obsolete. Make it more like the cheap-arse ones in WD that only hold 30.

Izzy, busy testing away
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Thu May 03, 2001 12:41 am

Some feedback

I would rather see woodcarving as a skill but at the current rate of sucess we'd all master it by level 5.

Testing this with Taleos we got the following:

At level 23 I succed about 28% of the time
At level 12 Taleos succeds 15% of the time

This is out of about 100 tries at an arrow.
The scale looks fairly linear with a small offset at level 1.

I think this is kinda harsh since at level 50 you'd be failing about 45% of the time. Any highlevels confirm this?

Well here are my thoughts: I think the level 1 offset should be bigger. A level 1 should be able to succed 10% of the time. Also you should learn faster, say about 1.5% increase per level so:
At level 1 10%
At level 10 25%
At level 20 40%
At level 30 65%
At level 40 80%
At level 50 95%

This seems reasonable. It would mean level 1's who spend enough time out in the woods could make a boq a quiver and 30 arrows in about 320 tries.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu May 03, 2001 1:04 am

Bah! It's Telos, not Taelos... Image Also... just got 23% for my last test at lvl 13. So it probably varies a bit... wonder if int or anything affects it?

Sarvis
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Thu May 03, 2001 1:20 am

doh, sorry. Yours went up but mine seems to have gone down :P didnt keep exact count but it seems it does vary. Maybe there are a few more factors in it.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu May 03, 2001 5:07 am

I have not yet failed a woodcarving attempt at level 45. As with all other innate abilities, the success chance increases with sheer level.

- Ragorn
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu May 03, 2001 10:31 am

I agree with Sarvis, all these things I saw listed under the 'innate list' in another thread for rangers, are way out of place. Stuff like that should be skills, not innates. After all it's based upon the class (rangers Image) and most certainly NOT the race.
santego
Sojourner

Postby santego » Thu May 03, 2001 11:51 am

I think it would be nice if orcs could get wood-carving because they a race that lives primarily in the forest (and yeah, mountains and caves too I know). Mainly I say this not for realism but because it would be nice to have that skill on the evil side of the coin.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu May 03, 2001 12:04 pm

Hehe... you know rangers are getting good when the evils start getting jealous of them. Image

Sarvis
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Thu May 03, 2001 12:23 pm

All you non-rangers are just jealous, cuz we get to play with wood, and you don't Image
Rahl
Sojourner

Postby Rahl » Thu May 03, 2001 3:10 pm

Anyone can play with wood, we just dont have a skill proving we can 'play with it correctly' Image

------------------
Rahl -- Guardian of pink bunnies and anything fluffy
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu May 03, 2001 5:14 pm

We lost minor creation, and we gained an innate that basically mimics the spell plus bows and arrows.

I don't see why anyone would think it's unbalanced, or why orcs should get it.

- Ragorn
santego
Sojourner

Postby santego » Thu May 03, 2001 6:29 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ragorn:
<B> I don't see why anyone would think it's unbalanced, or why orcs should get it.

- Ragorn</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think its unbalanced, or that orcs SHOULD get it. I'd just LIKE orcs to get it because when I make an orc, I'd like to make arrows and stuff. And I figure if any evil would get it, it would be orcs - or possibly drow if they make a "hunter" class.
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Thu May 03, 2001 6:30 pm

Orcs *could* get it, if they could be rangers. Actually, I'm in favor of that. It'd be worth it just to see their memtimes, lol!

Izzy

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”