Haliflings...

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Tayros
Sojourner

Haliflings...

Postby Tayros » Wed Apr 25, 2001 1:40 pm

Some one posted in another forum the fact that "no one will be playing a Halfling after Alpha" On this, would it be possible, to tweak the str of a halfling a little bit, to make them more viable (like being able to lift a raft, wield two steel daggers etc) as player chars? Warrior halflings sometimes are stronger than some humans!

Tyrble -WANTED- Dead or Alive
Jorta
Sojourner

Postby Jorta » Wed Apr 25, 2001 3:59 pm

With all of the hoo-ha about halflings lately I have tried out a couple of characters. Based on this experience I would like to second the suggestion on the raft issue.

While it makes sense that a halfling not be able to cart a raft around while doing the Black Griffin Road tour, it would seem that even the smallest race should be able to carry a raft for a couple of rooms before running out of moves. This would simulate the effect of finding a raft on a river bank and wrestling it into the water.

After all, in RL I can't carry a 20' row boat very far, but at least I can get it into the water - and after that it is smooth sailing...er rowing that is.

At any rate no big deal and I'm sure there are more pressing things to do before beta, but if it makes it to a 'to do' list it would be very helpful for all of the halflings that are not going to be playing after alpha.

Thank you!

Jorta
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Wed Apr 25, 2001 9:42 pm

its not about raising halfling strength. All smaller races have this problem. Raft weight imho needs to be lowered slightly.

Halflings have more dex then barbs
Barbs have more strength then halflings

The difference in each is pretty close.
santego
Sojourner

Postby santego » Thu Apr 26, 2001 6:35 pm

Halflings and all other "small warriors" should NOT get more hp. Rather, they should be COMPLETELY protected against receiving any critical hits. I say completely so that when people make their speed vs. hp decision, it is absolute on either side. More hp is more hp, and protected against critical hits is just that. In a situation like this, I can see small warriors as the ones who "go in first", and then who are quickly rescued by the big guys (as opposed to healed, where the margin between healthy hp and death is so small in such tiny warriors).
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Wed May 02, 2001 10:07 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by santego:
Halflings and all other "small warriors" should NOT get more hp. Rather, they should be COMPLETELY protected against receiving any critical hits. I say completely so that when people make their speed vs. hp decision, it is absolute on either side. More hp is more hp, and protected against critical hits is just that. In a situation like this, I can see small warriors as the ones who "go in first", and then who are quickly rescued by the big guys (as opposed to healed, where the margin between healthy hp and death is so small in such tiny warriors).</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um... have you thought about how that would interact with stoneskin? If they never get crits, they're not gonna beat through the stone very often... and that's not exactly balanced.
Rynlaeis
Sojourner

Postby Rynlaeis » Thu May 03, 2001 1:47 am

I believe he meant that halflings would not get hit with any critical hits, not that they wouldn't perform critical hits on the mobs that they're fighting.
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Thu May 03, 2001 7:56 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rynlaeis:
I believe he meant that halflings would not get hit with any critical hits, not that they wouldn't perform critical hits on the mobs that they're fighting.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And that's what I meant... if the mobs don't get crits, they won't pass the threshold of stoneskin nearly as often, hence would be very unbalancing.
Rynlaeis
Sojourner

Postby Rynlaeis » Fri May 04, 2001 12:49 am

Since you used "they're" and he hadn't specified anything except halfings in his post, that's what it seemed you were referring to. I apologize if I misread.
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Fri May 04, 2001 3:56 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rynlaeis:
Since you used "they're" and he hadn't specified anything except halfings in his post, that's what it seemed you were referring to. I apologize if I misread.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nods... though since the discussion was on not taking crits as a player (halfling mobs?) I was talking about the mod idea.
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Fri May 04, 2001 10:36 am

How about sized rafts, usable based on race size??

A giant raft lies here. (ogre)

A raft lies here. (human, elves, etc.)

A stick lies here. (halflings)

Tayros
Sojourner

Postby Tayros » Fri May 04, 2001 1:44 pm

hehe... stick! I think you mean shtick!

I think they do have rafts of varying sizes and wieghts (even !wieght). The point of the thread was to maybe give them a slightly higher base str so carrying 100 coins doesn't equal moderate wieght carried with a 96 str, which just sucks. Another thing I noticed is that I can wield two daggers as long as only one is poisoned. if both are poisoned, dual is impossible (can't lift).

Halfing's should have a lower str sco than any other race, I think the base might be a little low.

Tay

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”