Enchanter suggestions

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Jorus
Sojourner

Enchanter suggestions

Postby Jorus » Thu Jun 28, 2001 9:44 am

I'm thinking, that now that illusionists are in, some changes might be in order to enchanters.

Namely: take away faerie fire.

Now, before you all bite me over this, I have a suggestion for an acompanying change to even the loss out:

Shuffle ray/fumble/stumble/enervate around, possibly moving stumble down to 2nd circle, and enervate down to 5th (giving a nice spread from stumble to feeblemind). Imo, the usefullness of those spells would then be NICELY in order with their levels (enervate could maybe drop some more, but hey :P).

It just struck me as odd that my spellcast illusion was happily notching away while xp'ing today. If we're going to have a low-level spell to zap our foes AC, why not make it an enchantment spell that we already have?

Just some thoughts.

Regards,
Jorus/Arishae
silvea
Sojourner

Postby silvea » Thu Jun 28, 2001 10:03 am

I did not know we had moderators on this forum........
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Thu Jun 28, 2001 10:44 am

Stumble is far too effective for 2nd circle.
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Thu Jun 28, 2001 10:54 am

I want slowness moved from 5th circle.

/Jegzed
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Thu Jun 28, 2001 3:34 pm

I agree. Move slowness to 4th circle.

Stumble is too powerful for 2nd circle.

------------------
Malacar - French kissin midgets, and damn proud of it. Oh yeah... My comments can offend you now, I don't care anymore. Have a day.
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Thu Jun 28, 2001 7:34 pm

I agree with moving slowness to 4th. Since haste is 4th, why shouldn't slowness be 4th too?

BTW, is the major para thing a bug? Read my post for the info.
Dibble
Sojourner

Postby Dibble » Thu Jun 28, 2001 8:24 pm

Hey i was just thinking about this the other day.
-move slowness to 4th circle
-move fumble to 3rd circle
============================
so in most situations you would have
3rd - mostly ray and fumble
4th - haste and slow
5th - stoneskin (maybe a few stumbles if you can)

right now i have more rays memmed than i need in third
4th is just haste and utility spells (bolt is pretty crappy sorry)
5th not enough slots for stumble or slowness..
------------------------------------
as for faerie fire i wouldn't be hurt too much if it was removed but illusionists get the upgrade to it so we are not hurting them.

Laters
Dibble
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Thu Jun 28, 2001 9:50 pm

Hate to do this Jorus, but I'd like to veto the whole thing.
I personally like exactly what we have now.
There isn't always gonna be an illusionist and for those times I want faerie fire.
And the ray/fumble/stumble/enervate are already spread very nicely.
You may not get to cast the ones that reside on haste/stone circles, but that's a choice to make.

If anything add a fancy questable spell up at 10th to compete for d-scales, then let the situation determine which spell stays memed.

Just my opinions.
Jorus
Sojourner

Postby Jorus » Fri Jun 29, 2001 3:15 am

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

RE stumble's power:
Can anyone give me an idea of how effective stumble is, when compared to faerie fire and/or scarlet outline, with a focus on damage dealt to the mob (though secondary effects certainly are interesting!). Perhaps we can extrapolate how much AC/evasion combined reduction stumble provides.

I've never really used stumble, so I'm blind here.

RE there not always being an illusionist:
From help faerie fire:

Class/Circle: Enchanter/Invoker/Druid 2nd, Ranger 3rd, Shaman 4th

Missing illusionists there, but I think you get the idea :P Even without illusionists, this spell isn't terribly hard to come by. Having one mage class loose the spell is a minor loss, imo (except to enchanters, though I don't think they need it too much)

It does look like some people want some of ray/fumble/stumble/slow/feeblemind/enervate re-arranged a little. I don't think moving things out of 5th circle just because that is where stone resides is justified, however. Regardless of what we ask for, there will always be some sort of "zap your enemy's <X>" spell in 5th circle. Ideally, it will be something more powerful than fumble (how powerful is that btw? never noticed much help from it) and less powerful than feeblemind...

I'll start a new thread to discuss that, as this thread really was supposed to be about faerie fire.

RE new spells for us at high levels:

Sure! *grin* Any ideas anyone? Mordenkainen's disjunction maybe? *grin*

RE my "moderator" flag:

Take a look at the group listings. I'm now moderating the mud client forum, to take some of the load (yeah right :P) off Shevarash. Come post there with any client questions or for script requests, no matter how trivial.

How about an alternate proposal: A spell similar to faerie fire in AC malison, but an enchantment, with some different secondary effects (EG: not having FF's modification to hide/sneak, but something else). Not cumulative with FF or scarlet outline, of course. Can anyone think of a low level enchantment that does this?

Tasha's hideous uncontrollable laughter perhaps? (try typing THAT in a pinch :P)

Any other likelies?

Regards,
Jorus/Arishae
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Fri Jun 29, 2001 4:12 am

There would still be an offense spell type in 5th circle with slowness moved. Stumble. Image

Fumble rules. Hands down it's awesome. I am hasting so bloody much because the time it lasts is pathetic, that I never get to cast it.

Ray is good, but it's really my only choice in 3rd circle.

Enervate? I've used it a couple of times, but unsure of what it's effects are.

Stumble makes a large difference on hitting a mob from what I have seen.

To be honest, gods gave us spells to debuff and buff. But as the spells currently work, we can only do one or the other. Even with 2 enchanters in a group, we're relegated to backup(as we should be!), and can only get a couple of debuffs. I really think that our spells need to be shuffled some more. The spells themselves work fine(except for the stone+globe hitting fireshield thing...), but the circles they are in doesn't give us much variety(as was pointed out to me, that's the reason Enchanters were given debuffs, some variety to fill out our niche).

Not griping, I love the new stuff. A lot of the enchanter suggestiuons that were sent in though, seem to have fallen on deaf ears. I'd like to pick those ideas apart sometime, or at least have a god say 'they suck, go back to the drawing board'. *shrugs*

It's not going to stop me playing the class. I enjoy it a lot. Some minor tweaking is still needed, though, imo.

(Hey Uthgar, I used imo, not imho! I most definitely ain't humble! Image )

------------------
Malacar - French kissin midgets, and damn proud of it. Oh yeah... My comments can offend you now, I don't care anymore. Have a day.
Joth
Sojourner

Postby Joth » Fri Jun 29, 2001 2:33 pm

I totally agree about moving slow to 4th circle, just seems to make sense, and then move fumble and ray into the same circle in 3rd. Hopefully, the coders will take suggestions constructive lively, but they busy, but this would be a quick fix though.
Uthgar
Staff Member - Coder

Postby Uthgar » Sat Jun 30, 2001 3:24 am

(Hey Uthgar, I used imo, not imho! I most definitely ain't humble! )

ROFL!
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Sat Jun 30, 2001 3:52 am

I thought you'd get a kick outta that Uthgar. Image

------------------

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”