Death Experience?

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Saraish Aderilix
Sojourner

Death Experience?

Postby Saraish Aderilix » Sun Jul 15, 2001 11:50 pm

Well after running around and trying some mobs that were possibly to big for myself last night I died a couple of times. I am used to this (unfortunately) - and was expecting to see my 26% exp lost - as was the norm.

After checking my experience progress however, I was dismayed to find I had lost 36%. Did I mention I died twice? That's 72% of a level Image Since ress was gotten has death exp been upped or what??

What is everyone else getting as exp from deaths??

Saraish - Loathe to Die, Again.
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Sun Jul 15, 2001 11:56 pm

Since this isn't the sort of thing one wants to experiment with, I can't say unequivocably that this is true. I do, however, think that I lost a good chunk (+30%) on my last death. I chalked it up to mis-remembering how much exp I had, but now that you've posted this, I'm more certain.

This amounts to rumor mongering. I should be shot.
Saraish Aderilix
Sojourner

Postby Saraish Aderilix » Mon Jul 16, 2001 1:03 am

Oh I guess I forgot to mention that I hadn't died for a good level or so and I was also at 98% when I died. I have a horrible habit of doing that.

Is death exp loss increased when you haven't died for a while, or is it increased the closer that you are to level.... sniff.
Niple
Sojourner

Postby Niple » Mon Jul 16, 2001 1:53 am

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember someone saying that death exp loss was dependant upon how far you were into level.

Is this the case or did I make that up?
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Mon Jul 16, 2001 2:54 am

From what I've been able to determine, how much experience you lose upon death is dependant upon the level you are currently at. I lose 20% for deaths at level 47, I lose 26% for deaths at level 46, I lose 36% for deaths at level 40, I lose 24% for deaths at level 38. These are just my memory, and might be a bit off, but are close to what I have observed.

-Todrael, dies too much
Lyt
Sojourner

Postby Lyt » Mon Jul 16, 2001 3:50 am

From what I have seen (not counting dying and losing level,) it seems like the amount of exp lost is random anywhere from 16 to 36% give or take a couple percent. This has also seemed pretty level independent as well. I am happy when I only lose 16-18% (as happy as you can be from dying that is), and then mad when the total loss is over 30%.
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Mon Jul 16, 2001 7:52 am

I have never lost more than 24%. From levels 40+ you _always_ lose 24%... no exceptions.

I would also like to add that I speak from experience here... I wouldn't be suprised if I am in the top 5 list of poeple who have the most deaths. Level loss due to punishments aside.

-Jaznolg
gordex
Sojourner

Postby gordex » Mon Jul 16, 2001 8:41 am

Jaznolg, I'm happy to tell you that you are wrong. I died 3 times when level 45 and each time I lost 18% (9 notches). I recently died (tonight) at level 47 and lost 26%.

My understanding is that you lose between 18 to 30% exp on a death, and the percentage is random. Experience is some huge ass number that you never see, so I'm guessing its between "x" and "y" exp lost, where "x" and "y" are somewhere in the millions of exp range.

Gordex - Gordex Travel Agency (almost there!)
My 2 Cents
Zhadrak/Dharag
Sojourner

Postby Zhadrak/Dharag » Mon Jul 16, 2001 8:55 am

this is what i have noticed.

below 20 % into level i lost 16 %

above 20 % i lost 20 %

then i havent died until i was in the 90's

and then i lost 36 %
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Jul 16, 2001 9:15 am

First, I assure you that we would never change something as vital as this without posting it in the news or another public forum.

Second, exp loss (and ress gain) has not been changed in years.

Third - you DO lose a constant % of exp each time you die. The confusion stems from the fact that you lose a % (1/4th) of your CURRENT level, not your next level. Thus, if your next level requires less exp progression than your current one did, you will appear to lose a larger % of exp towards your next level.

*wonders if he made that any clearer*

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Lyt
Sojourner

Postby Lyt » Mon Jul 16, 2001 9:20 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Thus, if your next level requires less exp progression than your current one did, you will appear to lose a larger % of exp towards your next level.

[/B]</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ummm....slap me if I am wrong, but don't all levels higher than the one you currently are require more experience than your current level? Exp has always been a geometric progression. It sure would be nice if going from level 49 to level 50 required as much exp as going from level 1 to level 2. Image
silvea
Sojourner

Postby silvea » Mon Jul 16, 2001 9:31 am

cool, I can start killing kobolds again in KV Image That leveld me fast from level 2 to 6....
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Jul 16, 2001 9:50 am

There are a few levels that require less exp than the last level, though not many at all. The difference in these levels is not much at all though.

There are also several levels that require much more exp, resulting in the lower % losses some have posted about - my post was meant to address both.

Hope that makes it clearer, but somehow I doubt it. Image

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon Jul 16, 2001 12:47 pm

Yup.. makes sense to me Shev.

Personally I did notice that some levels didn't need as much (or a minor increase) exp as the previous level.. kinda nice Image
However, some levels are a real bitch to get.. snicker. Seems like getting a new spell circle is a tough level, then the first one after you get it is easier. Image
Azralek Silvermist
Sojourner

Postby Azralek Silvermist » Mon Jul 16, 2001 2:26 pm

OH Boy Why am i suddenly getting flashbacks.

Hell levels anyone.

Azralek
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Mon Jul 16, 2001 2:28 pm

Ack, hell levels... No more EQ!

Mommy, make the bad coders stop!

*grabbing head, rocking back and forth, singing some odd flock of seagulls song*

------------------
Malacar - French kissin midgets, and damn proud of it. Oh yeah... My comments can offend you now, I don't care anymore. Have a day.
Lyt
Sojourner

Postby Lyt » Tue Jul 17, 2001 8:35 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shevarash:
<B>There are a few levels that require less exp than the last level, though not many at all. The difference in these levels is not much at all though.

There are also several levels that require much more exp, resulting in the lower % losses some have posted about - my post was meant to address both.

Hope that makes it clearer, but somehow I doubt it. Image

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well heck, I think all of my levels have been bad ones. I guess they all require level 50 worth of exp to get em.

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”