ZAP!! OUCH

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Zoldren
Sojourner

ZAP!! OUCH

Postby Zoldren » Mon Jul 09, 2001 2:39 pm

Ok, It was my understanding that when 2 people are casting the same spell ie. Incen cloud, meteor swarm etc.. areas. That it would do more damage to those not in group ie mobs. but instead when 2 vokers for example cast cloud, one of them gets ZAP 250hp of damage. umm ouch.. with eq I am barely over 250 *stare* :P
so why are we getting zaped? is this going to be fixed?
Yes, I understand organizing spells so nobody gets zaped, and I could understand that if I cast ice storm and someone else casts cloud that it vetos the spells or even get zaped then. but when we are casting the same spell ?
thanks let me know whats up
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Mon Jul 09, 2001 2:41 pm

It was coded to prevent taking 1 tank and 10 invokers. Enjoy.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Mon Jul 09, 2001 2:44 pm

You can't combine areas anymore, it was discussed on this BBS a while ago. If two players cast the same spell it usually means backfire. There are supposedly a few good combinations as well, but this would be different spells combined (not the same ones), and most likely different classes too. E.g. control weather + incendiary cloud = inferno just to give a non-existing example.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon Jul 09, 2001 3:10 pm

Create food + magic missile = food fight

Yayaril
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon Jul 09, 2001 3:42 pm

I would think that cyclone and cloud should combine into something nice Image

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 09, 2001 3:42 pm

LOL Yayaril!

Too damn funny *ruffle*

Laddie
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Mon Jul 09, 2001 6:08 pm

OT:

ventriloquate+puppet.

none of this totems and killin' junk.
I'm gonna quit my job as a shaman and take my act to vegas.
Masrick
Sojourner

Postby Masrick » Mon Jul 09, 2001 6:32 pm

A good idea would be to cloud along with those stupid clouding dragons and see how they react Image maybe they'd abort Image
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Tue Jul 10, 2001 1:22 am

I think would be better if 2 voker casts same spell it would still work, like it used to. but if a third cast the same spell messed him up or zaped him? maybe not doing more damage, but still working. if can code that !2 cast, them maybe 2 cast but !3....not many tims do you have 3-12 vokers in any one group :P
and theire are only sooo many spells they can cast :P just curious thanks guys
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Wed Jul 11, 2001 3:52 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Masrick:
A good idea would be to cloud along with those stupid clouding dragons and see how they react Image maybe they'd abort Image</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As a matter of fact they do... but it's damn near impossible to calculate when they are gunna cast being as how you have to be the first one to start casting to not get zaped and abort.

Personally I think cloud is an extrememly weak spell... and all of this fuss over bringing too many invokers was in vain. I will _NEVER_ use cloud again thanx to this little piece of code... I really hope other area spells are not this way also.. I would hate to not be able to cast them being as that is my major function (besides getting spanked and losing levels).

-Jaznolg
FF/Nuke self one too many times.
Kaeldar
Sojourner

Postby Kaeldar » Wed Jul 11, 2001 4:53 am

if you check my old log titled spell combo nod me you'll see that I started casting first and still got zapped
silvea
Sojourner

Postby silvea » Wed Jul 11, 2001 7:41 am

even worse kaeldar :P the other aborted his spell but still you got feedback Image
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Wed Jul 11, 2001 8:34 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jaznolg:
I really hope other area spells are not this way also.. I would hate to not be able to cast them being as that is my major function (besides getting spanked and losing levels).</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In alpha most of them were, even swarm/inferno/prism..

So usually only one invoker was allowed to area one spell.

/Jegzed
Kaeldar
Sojourner

Postby Kaeldar » Wed Jul 11, 2001 9:16 am

with 2 invokers this is really no issue
it's very easy to co-ordinate with each other takin turns casting area spells

it's not all that hard with 3 either long as you have good communication

what I really detest however is having our spells stipped down

now there is no variety whatsoever
kinda depressing when you're the #1 dmg class and you have no options, really takes any skill outa playing this already simple to play class

kinda would like to know why alot of invoker spells were yanked? I don't really think they were overpowered.

Kaeldar Kalaze
mindless drone

------------------
What did you expect?
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Wed Jul 11, 2001 12:42 pm

even with good comunication it slips threw....
you tell xyz you single target I will area, you have more damage bc higher lvl specalize etc. xyz oh ok I will
you startcasting cloud
ZAP
grumble
I have also been zaped being the first person to cast or the second so not sure whats up with this....

I guess the days of all the invokers area'n in second gate house are over ....

maybe I could use jubs staf then I an not casting! oh wait, .....cant use that while others are in room :P

oh ya could we have a single target spell 10thcircle too plz I dont wana have 2 vokers get zaped on inferno might just kill me :P
you report I have 1 (2) hp....

[This message has been edited by Zoldren (edited 07-11-2001).]
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Wed Jul 11, 2001 5:51 pm

Bring along a necro, or shaman, or etc. So you can't have 5 invokers, that doesn't mean you can't deal damage.

-Todrael
Kaeldar
Sojourner

Postby Kaeldar » Wed Jul 11, 2001 8:35 pm

not to be argumentative zoldren, but I've done 2nd gatehouse with 3 invokers once already this wipe and with 2 invoekers more than once, and we all got to use our area spells to good effect, just takin turns with circles....*shrug*
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Wed Jul 11, 2001 8:36 pm

I dont care how many invokers come, i just think its bad if my low lvl but goes somewhere, I dont want to cast ice storm and get zaped... even if it is being cast by a necro :P
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Wed Jul 11, 2001 8:38 pm

so have I kealdar, but sometimes people dont pay attention, and yes thats their fault, but if that person who dont pay attention gets me kiled cause I need those 250 hp from zap I gona be upset :P
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Thu Jul 12, 2001 4:02 am

I just think this is a stupid concept. Even when your spell is aborted you get zapped. How retarted is that? If it's going to be an automatic saftey feature like that why does it hurt you? I also dont see what is special about invoker damage and why having more than 2 throw thier best area spells at the same time or otherwise would even matter. I understand it's in the best interest for the balance of the game IN THEORY. So everyone doesn't roll an invoker and go and cast area spells at the same time.. gods forbid! Say these limitations were removed... how would that change the outcome of fights? I think that it just might save that invokers life that was trying to do his job of barely wearing a mob down with a weak area spell (pretty much all of them vs. mob hp).

Again I'd like to say this is one of the stupidest concepts I've ever seen applied. Whats next? Only 3 warriors allowed to assist at once or they start cutting eachother?! Oh.. I better not give you guys ideas... *bite tongue*

-Jaznolg
*Spit*
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Thu Jul 12, 2001 7:04 am

* Note

Highly adverserial posts tend to be ignored out of hand.
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Thu Jul 12, 2001 8:42 am

Sorry that whole ress quest situation put me in an extremely bad mood.

-Jaznolg
Wonders how gods like getting faerie fired? *ponder*
silvea
Sojourner

Postby silvea » Thu Jul 12, 2001 10:37 am

I got a small question for the admins Image

The area spells got feeback if the same spell is casted at the same spell, and it is posted in aphla that there would be a change or something about 2 difrent spells and side effects. I also heared rumors about feeback when just 2 area spells where casted. Could something be posted by the admin?

Its a bit to risky (with curent hp) to stand in a room with 3 invo's and check what gives feedback and what combo's don't give feedback?
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Thu Jul 12, 2001 12:36 pm

Hey Jaznolg and others, its not just invokers who get slapped with feedback. We had 2 druids in our astral quest group die due to feedback on hailstorm. Image
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Thu Jul 12, 2001 12:43 pm

hey, any goodies wana check spell damage with me in arena? :P just for "learning" ofc Image

Question: this wierded out nobody liked code, was put in to stop 50 invokers grouping and somking somethi well... this code was not in last whipe and nothing stoped invokers last whipe.... and hey they where even more powerful then too... but rarely did you see more than 3 in the same group.... and invokers didnt go wax stuff by them selfs then..........so why "stop" invokers from doing it now, when they are less powerful? *boggle* powerful ie doing less dam
silvea
Sojourner

Postby silvea » Thu Jul 12, 2001 1:31 pm

Becouse of all theese changes to invokers nobody wants them in groups. half the time I'm browsing around boared and the other half of mine time I'm soloing to get some xp.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Thu Jul 12, 2001 3:49 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by silvea:
Becouse of all theese changes to invokers nobody wants them in groups. half the time I'm browsing around boared and the other half of mine time I'm soloing to get some xp.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Want some cheese with that whine?!

Twyl has tried not to whine about rangers.
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Thu Jul 12, 2001 10:35 pm

Invoker spell damage is semi depressing these days... sure we do the most damage.. but not by that much. With all the hard/time consuming spell quests you would think that would let us reighn supreme over all others. As is now I have seriously thought of rerolling as an illithid or necro. Those are your real damage doers... with none of the drawbacks such as the main topic of this thread.

-Jaznolg
Playing the most overrated class in the game.
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Fri Jul 13, 2001 12:29 am

I rolled an invoker this wipe. as much as i like to complain they lvl so much faster than my cleric. they can solo stuff and they get damage xp and do have to watch other players to make sure they survive. sure they have to corinate w/ other invokers to make sure no feedback. this happened to me once and it has nevered happen again. maybe i'm just a smart cambodian. but making sure another invoker isn't casting a spell is way, like tons, unbeliably easier than making sure tank and fellow group members are healed. or doing 5-8 vits during spell up. u invoker, well me invoker have it so much easier. i'm thinking about playing a bard cuz they do nothing. that's gotta be the lazy man class i tell ya.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Fri Jul 13, 2001 12:14 pm

Heheh.. snicker.

Yeah, cleric exp is still depressing for me.
It was fairly quick from 32-36 because I was able to use holy word to kill stuff, and get more damage exp. Now at lvl 43, I'm back to the point where the lvl 47 people in my groups notch faster. bleh.
Actually, even when I was getting really good exp back in the low 30s, I was just keeping up with the other people in the group.
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Fri Jul 13, 2001 1:05 pm

I can't tell you how wrong you guys are about cleric exp. Once they get full heal they start leveling like mad. Invokers damage exp doesn't compare to cleric heal/tank/damage exp. I leveled primarily with a cleric so I'm not just talking out my ass here either. They also stay alive a lot better I've noticed for some reason... Image

-Jaznolg
Calls it as he sees it.
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Fri Jul 13, 2001 6:41 pm

u talking about doing spectres w/ cleric. but if u have a 4 man xp group (warrior, enchanter, cleric, invoker), which can usually do xp all good xp plz. exp would be in this order.

(1) warrior
(2) invoker
(3) cleric
(4) enchanter
Nitania
Sojourner

Postby Nitania » Fri Jul 13, 2001 9:29 pm

Anybody who complains about feedback and the reasoning behind it obviously never saw Mplor, Mael, and Koldar in the same group.. all 3 casting inferno at the same time. 2nd gatehouse, TF, King room in SG, Manscorps.. they were all dead in 9-12 rounds. It was hugely overpowered. There wasnt anything we couldnt win. Now things are *WAY* more balanced. Yeah- it hurts if you get feedback but if you time it, you'll be ok.

Nitania

PS I know feedback hurts :P maybe it could be toned down to about 1/3 the damage it does now? Dead casters = ouch
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Fri Jul 13, 2001 9:37 pm

zap does 250 hp damage... I am lvl 37 and with pretty decent eq... my hp are at best 283........ you do the math :P
Lirelir
Sojourner

Postby Lirelir » Sat Jul 14, 2001 4:35 pm

I do agree on the amount of zap dammage being slightly high.

Since I didn't play in alpha this time around, I did not know that other classes w/ area spells like druids get zapped as well.
Obviously this is fair if true, and shows that they didn't target vokers only.

I also agree it is very easy to coordinate between casters using area. For those that say it is hard, its the same arguement for how hard is it for an ench. to glance and ensure timely stones, etc. Good players manage Image

BUT I too would like to see zap damage reduced to say...half. That way casters can take some damage from a fight and afford one mistake with a zap, not have to start dealing with deaths on the first zap.

*shrug*
Lirelir
Sojourner

Postby Lirelir » Sat Jul 14, 2001 4:41 pm

Ahhhh sorry to reply twice *bonk*, but wanted to suggest something I realize wont get changed, but just for academic thought...

If the driver or compelling event for this code was that multiple area casters using the same spell simultaneously was an 'imbalance', couln't we just have it so that any similar spell being cast when one is already in effect, simply have extremely reduced effects or none at all? I.e. "Your hail of nails and bolts gets absorbed into the already swirling hail" or something to that effect.

This would remove the 'imbalance' while not penalizing the group for untimely deaths, etc.

If this sounds a bit biased...well it is :P This suggestion is obviously more 'user friendly' but...

-a
valkur
Sojourner

Postby valkur » Sun Jul 15, 2001 3:25 am

While I generally try to avoid posts, some of the information on spell interaction is incorrect.

It is exceptionally well thought out - most of you just don't understand how it interacts yet. I would suggest playing with it and seeing exactly how and why you get a spell interaction - and what the interaction actually does in damages. for your testing purposes - I will tell you that you will never ever die if you have full hitpoints when you interact(so there is no fear of dying for testing purposes). What you do after that is your own fault. Image

So play with it for awhile and then, if you still think its rough after understanding it, find me and we can talk about it some more. Sound good? Its meant to be harsh, but its a solution and easy to handle by competent casters with practice. It was one of several alternatives to the super-powers of invokers (and the one I feel the players would like the most).
silvea
Sojourner

Postby silvea » Mon Jul 16, 2001 7:38 am

On dammage of ZAP in alpha, it did then roughly about 1000 hp feedback dammage so its already tonned down........
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Mon Jul 16, 2001 7:46 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nitania:
<B>Anybody who complains about feedback and the reasoning behind it obviously never saw Mplor, Mael, and Koldar in the same group.. all 3 casting inferno at the same time. 2nd gatehouse, TF, King room in SG, Manscorps.. they were all dead in 9-12 rounds. It was hugely overpowered. There wasnt anything we couldnt win. Now things are *WAY* more balanced. Yeah- it hurts if you get feedback but if you time it, you'll be ok.

Nitania

PS I know feedback hurts :P maybe it could be toned down to about 1/3 the damage it does now? Dead casters = ouch</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are just saying that cuz you are a rogue! Image

No but seriously... you are right about that being overpowered. Look at it this way tho.. you could just get 3 ghealers and do it just as easily... why do the invokers get screwed like this? After all.. classes are balanced well.. so if you take away from invokers you will just have to have more of other stuff. My question is does limiting invokers like this really balance the mud or take away from it?

And lets face it... when you abort a spell you really should not take damage from it. I say take the backfire part of it out and just make it abort your spell...

-Jaznolg
Likes to be invisible when he is questing mobs.. *whap self*
gordex
Sojourner

Postby gordex » Mon Jul 16, 2001 8:20 am

There is a major issue with this implementation of code. Well, I actually think it has more to do with the mentality of the gods this time around, but that is a can of worms I'm not going to open. It seems that we are doing more work this time around than having fun *BOGGLE*. This is a *GAME*, and the more I have gotten into it, the more I have found it to be work than gaming (ESPECIALLY when leading, but that has alot to do with the expertise of the players), however I still have fun Image. This implementation of code regarding backlash just adds more bullshit (pardon the french) to pile on what I already have to deal with. This change was directed towards invokers, and anyone who says differently is lying, yet the gods had to do it to every class, otherwise it would be viewed as singling out a class, and that is more political bullshit the gods would have to deal with, and they have plenty to deal with already. I dont think screwing all classes is an answer to a problem that was created by 1 class, by the gods.

One dream that will not be realized by me with the current code, is to take all the druids, and either do a zone (not a huge zone cause we would all prolly die), or try to kill the Hierophant and claim a new Hierophant, ME BITCH! hehe (RP stuff that would be fun for druids).

I can understand the not bringing 5 vokers in a group, cause that is broken, but to screw every class is wrong IMO? The problem with this code is that it screws EVERY casting class, when the "fix" is directed towards vokers.

NOW.... I heard that certain spells might do MORE damage or create a special effect in the same respect. However, you want us to nearly kill ourselves for hours on end testing it out for the glimmering hope that there is some special effect out there and the chances of it happening are so miniscule its ridiculous to think it would work in a real situation, yet we can easily screw ourselves in a real situation using the same tactics (spells). I have already died this time around. Its been a few days and I'm over being pissed about the death (which someone posted about 2 druids dying in astral), and I STILL feel it is poor judgement.
Nobody in their right mind is going to try this. You as gods know this is the case cause only a select few that HAVE the hours on end to try this kind of stuff.

To sum it up, it was a poor decision to screw all classes, because of a short-sight of the invoker class.

Gordex - Gordex Travel Agency (almost there!)
My 2 Cents Image
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Mon Jul 16, 2001 9:47 am

Just to make this clear.. I was not saying to limit any other classes. I was just making a point. Why limit offensive power this way when there are plenty of other ways to make a fight really really easy. Offense is important indeed... but is it more important than defense? I understand by too much offensive power you can take away from the need of a lot of defense in extreme cases... but I think this is the wrong way to go about doing that.

At least take the backfire damage out and make it abort your spell please. Backfire damage is just unecessary and unreasonable.

-Jaznolg
silvea
Sojourner

Postby silvea » Mon Jul 16, 2001 10:34 am

invoker class in a few lines:

advantages:
- barly most dammage in the game (doubt this on direct dammage spells compared to thieves, shamans or druids).

disadvantages:
- worse xp table posible
- almost no dammage xp
- feedback (often from mobs)
- fewest hitpoints in the game
- expect to die more often then a warrior

enlighten me if I forgot something.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Mon Jul 16, 2001 12:44 pm

Did I open a can o worms? Image

BTW: being that we are limited now in area spells and some fights are to go to fast for 2 or even 3 invokers to get off their area spells.... could we have a single target spell for 9th and 10th circles? :P
1 area spell is nice but... *cough upgrade me!!! * :P

thanks
weak arse drow sex slave
silvea
Sojourner

Postby silvea » Mon Jul 16, 2001 1:30 pm

the fun part is, feedback for cloud is bout 250 hp, disregarding what gods post, I never would try this spell out without eq, becouse a grey elf got max 175-200 hp :P
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Mon Jul 16, 2001 11:24 pm

Silvea: Oh, you do MUCH more damage than thieves do, unless Nitania made a big typo about the ranger vs. rogue damage figures gleaned from alpha. A few weeks ago when Razzable and I were doing elites, I decided to study the group combat stats. The spell damage was a few k higher than the melee damage. The members of the group were Razz (38 or so invoker at the time), me (38 or so ranger at the time), Veldrex (warrior around the same level), Kazziblie (enchanter around 34 at the time), and Odila (level 28 or so cleric at the time). The vast bulk of the spell damage was obviously from Razz and the bulk of the melee was from Veldrex and me. Roughly speaking, Razz did around the damage of a warrior and ranger combined while constantly running out to remem and not staying the whole fight to toss spells. And also before he got multiple force missiles per cast. I don't know how this compares to other casters, but invokers still bury the hitters in terms of damage. (The issue of adjusting exp tables for the class is another issue altogether though).
silvea
Sojourner

Postby silvea » Tue Jul 17, 2001 6:37 am

To get some figures in:

2 thieves
1 enchanter
1 paladin
1 ranger
1 cleric
1 druid
1 invoker

We doing ship xp. The thieves are hasted just like paladin. First reaver I get some nice dammage in (6 beams 6 meteors 2 bigby). Before I'm ready memming them up again all other reavers are dead and they got captain at few wounds......

Half the time I just cast 3 or 4 spells and even thoes I can't mem up in time to see the deathblow of the next mob. You need not only count the combat time the dammage was put out but the mem times as well.

When the gc command was in you would see that about 1/4th of the dammage would be spell dammage in such group. I can't check this now gc is gone... but this was about right 1 month back.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Jul 17, 2001 9:06 am

I remember doing dock masters with Kaeldar- we would major paralyze them and he would nuke them to a crisp whilst I attacked normally and backstabbed repeatedly. I would regularly check the gc command and even with continual backstabs, his spell damage was always ahead. I'm sure without the paralysis, and just normal melee and circle damage, his spell damage would easily do 1.5x to 2x as much as my melee. There is no way a rogue can outdamage an invoker, except for possibly highly magic resistant foes.. like demons.

Yayaril
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Tue Jul 17, 2001 5:46 pm

Necromancers are able to deal near to the same damage as an invoker of the same level, up until level 46. At level 46, it's a whole new ball game. Jaznolg sped ahead of me easily with 3 force missiles, inferno, swarm, etc. That's a -huge- increase in his damage output, for gaining one level. It's always seemed to me that damage increases in large increments instead of gradually. I feel that you all aren't looking at what things will be like at the high end. A necromancer, shaman or druid might be able to deal close to your damage (still less), but once you attain the higher levels, none are your peer. Rogues, rangers, hitters in general? No chance.

-Todrael

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”