Most anoyingest code i've dealt with

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
thruar
Sojourner

Most anoyingest code i\'ve dealt with

Postby thruar » Thu Jul 05, 2001 7:04 am

There is a piece of code that really bothers me and been meaning to say it for more than a month now. As it stands the group is hardcoded 15 man which i'm all cool with. But the charisma thing is the only anoying code i've ever dealt with not only that it serves no purpse except just disband and have group consent someone with charisma of 90+ elf/human to be able to get 14 or 15 man group. I got a 76 charisma and can only get 12 man and 100 to get 13. It's tediously anoying and ask that it gets taken out please. Charisma serves no purpose when I try to lead and I don't want to have to go through more than 2 sets of charisma eq and disband the group 4 times so people can try another player with higher charisma thats just about every single time too, it be best taken out and let it just stand at 15 man max group. Maybe have charisma coded to serve other purposes I just want to see leading a group a little easier and I know people in the future will find it anoying when they want to lead a group as any class without the charisma.
Neram
Sojourner

Postby Neram » Thu Jul 05, 2001 9:00 am

heh think its adding some fun Image
dont look at all this like at hard word,
play the game Image
and oh yeh. that gives bard to do something
in group Image
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Thu Jul 05, 2001 9:45 am

I completely agree with Thruar.

We have to use Thrankon to hold groups just cause he's the only evil that can hold more than 12 ppl in a group.

/Jegzed
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu Jul 05, 2001 10:25 am

Yeah, it's not like we have any charismatic races Image The best we've got is a stinkin' smelly green wart-ridden orc!
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Jul 05, 2001 1:38 pm

Hmmm, who should be leader- wart puss, tentacle face, or snake head?

Yayaril
Ssarra
Sojourner

Postby Ssarra » Thu Jul 05, 2001 1:38 pm

Drow are much more charismatic and beautiful than orcs. Thank you very much!
Garosh
Sojourner

Postby Garosh » Thu Jul 05, 2001 1:38 pm

About the only thing it does is make Charisma a semi useful stat to have.

But in the end I think you will just end up with the work around that people use in everquest.
just make 2 groups and go do zones..you wind up competing for xps, but you still share the equipment like you were in the same group.
thrankon
Sojourner

Postby thrankon » Thu Jul 05, 2001 2:29 pm

Sure thats the thanx i get fer sitting outside zones and holding yur groups while ya'll spank stuff. I'll remeber that next time! Actually i agree and i also think bards should inheritly be able to hold like 20 people. heres the logic.. jeg's got a 12 man group, he adds a bard and gains only 2 more slots. really whats he add'd why not just start a second group. make the bards charisma worth more then 2 slots please. i'd make us at least more loveable! Image

thran
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Thu Jul 05, 2001 3:42 pm

I think the whole point is so that we don't have people taking 20 person groups into zones.. making 2 12 person groups is definately not what the gods indended.. if a zone is so hard that you need more than 1 group, then it should be looked at and adjusted.

Yeah, the charisma thing is annoying, but I get used to it. Sure we've hit the group cap a few times, but we'll just ask who has the highest charisma in the group, and they are group holder. Usually its the grey elf invoker with the 87 charisma that holds the group Image
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Fri Jul 06, 2001 7:12 am

Just a thought here, although I do think the code is anoying too, how about a spell solution.
There are spells of all sorts that add to stats, strength, dexterity, um ok 2.
How about add a spell for charisma that boost a persons cha up so they can add more ppl, not sure how you handle it when it falls. maybe just not allow more additions til it's recast, but leave those already added in the group.

Just don't give it to enchanters, I got enuf casting to handle Image

Folur group-says 'fly all'
Gindipple starts moaning.
Kaeldar
Sojourner

Postby Kaeldar » Fri Jul 06, 2001 7:59 am

Kaeldar tells you 'hey gind, can I snag a fly bro?'
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Fri Jul 06, 2001 7:20 pm

Another area in which the proposed charisma boost from being drunk would be applicable. That, and I still say dwarves should get a bonus to combat stats while drunk. Then you'd have a lot more drunk dwarf group leaders.

- Grungar "C'mon guysh, le'sh go whoop on Tiamat, we can take her with five or six people *hic*" Forgefire
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Fri Jul 06, 2001 7:25 pm

Check out the new illisionist spell 'beautify' listed in the news today Image
Cyric
FORGER AREAS

Postby Cyric » Fri Jul 06, 2001 7:44 pm

The other thing that this code is doing that I have witnessed is that different people are actually leading groups for a change. Sure, they're probably receiving guidance from the old, experienced players, but maybe a handful of people are actually learning their way around now, rather than being dragged around, and I see that as a good thing.

R
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Fri Jul 06, 2001 8:00 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rylan:
Check out the new illisionist spell 'beautify' listed in the news today Image</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooooh, I'm at work tell me more!
Did I get an idea implemented?
Or you just messing with me?
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Fri Jul 06, 2001 8:05 pm

The problem with the 12-15 depending on charisma is that the group-holder is just a figurehead while the real leader is someone else in the group.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Fri Jul 06, 2001 8:20 pm

Jeg beat me to it.

------------------
Malacar - French kissin midgets, and damn proud of it. Oh yeah... My comments can offend you now, I don't care anymore. Have a day.
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Fri Jul 06, 2001 8:40 pm

Charisma boost from being drunk?! Perhaps you are always the party drunk so you'd never notice, but when you are drunk, the only person who gains charisma is the cow next to you on the couch. You may feel more sexay, but its exactly the opposite. Drunk people lose charisma in heaps. Image

So maybe get your entire group drunk and they will follow you more!
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Sat Jul 07, 2001 12:15 am

hey i eat poison and alway drunk, but i can't get get my horsie to follow me (on mud of course a horse)
silvea
Sojourner

Postby silvea » Tue Jul 10, 2001 6:48 am

Touk: What you suggest is that people get more cha over time. I follow you becouse of your reputation (and so in a way your charisma). I for myself like the charisma group restriction. It gives a bard an extra edge to get asked into a group (he won't spoil the group size but enlarge it) But the group size rules/code should eb a little tweaked.

for example, if a bard is in the group and he follows Capt. Touk Then Touk should be able to use the bards Charisma to enlarge his group size. Without the bard he can't control it. And make this ability bard only. I also think a bard should get a small bonus based on level that allows him to make the group size even larger. Something like:

level 1 - 10 - 20 - 30 - 40 - 50
bard (cha 100) 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15
warrior (cha 100) 10 - 10 - 10 - 10 - 10 - 10

But if the bard would follow and be in the same group as the warrior, the warrior uses the bard number for max people.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Jul 10, 2001 7:40 am

There's a small problem with the way the code is determining the leader's charisma, and we are working on it....this fix, combined with the new illusionist spell should help the problem immensely.

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Brog
Sojourner

Postby Brog » Thu Jul 12, 2001 9:02 am

Just a small note about an earlier comment. New people are not leading groups because of this. New people are holding the group members yes. But the same leader is still controlling the group. The same leader with 40 charisma is still telling everyone what to do, what to kill, and moving the group around. Honestly, this code is rather pointless. Group leadership on sojourn has never had anything to do with the group leader's charisma. Honestly, do you think people follow Touk cuz he's charming? Hell no. People follow Touk cuz he gets the job done. Look when you need plumbing done in yer house do you look for a charming plummer or do you call the plummer you know can get the job done right the first time? Same with just about any profession. Image
silvea
Sojourner

Postby silvea » Thu Jul 12, 2001 10:54 am

still that charming plumber got other uses.........
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Jul 12, 2001 12:22 pm

I follow Touk because he offered me a room full of Turkish Delight.

Yayaril
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Thu Jul 12, 2001 7:04 pm

This code is absolutely the bane of every leader's existance.

Trust me, all this code does is cause problems.

It has no real point.

We have to have everyone consent Meruin.

Then Corth has to cast like 7 beautifys on Meruin.

Then when they drop in 20 mins, we have to do it again because some people got ungrouped.

All the while the real group leader is barking orders.

When a spank happens..

You get a thousand tells of who do I consent, who has group, consent who for drag, etc..

Its gotten ridiculous.

Otherwise I think Soj3 is outstanding, and the staff has been exemplary.

Jurdex
Dornax

P.S. My charisma when at 100 only nets me 13 followers. If you're going to keep the charisma restriction, make a 100 charisma give you 15 group members regardless of race, PLEASE? Image
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Thu Jul 12, 2001 7:28 pm

Have you tested this after the change, posted in the news today?
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Fri Jul 13, 2001 12:34 am

how did u get 13 fokls to follow u? what did u promise them?
gurzog
Sojourner

Postby gurzog » Fri Jul 13, 2001 8:01 am

have to say i agree with the general consensus on this

today doing zone, we spend 15 mins to find person with highest charisma, then give that person +charisma eq just so we can add 2 new group members
then after we got new group, same leader still leading, calling the shots, passing out eq...what was the point?
I know imms wanna give charisma more of a use than to just allow people to buy from shops cheaper, but there has to be a better way than this, all it does now tho is just waste time when we could be getting spanked instead, and imms seem to like watching spanks going by all the SPANK! globals from last wipe :P guess imms have stopped doing the globals tho, hehe, don't think i've seen one yet this wipe
anyway
there have been times when we've had a bard hold the group just to group additional members and the bard would be off in another zone xp'ing or whatever
oh well, it just seems a lot of time has always been wasted in zones...people afk'ing and not letting leader know, someone spelling up before they're supposed to, lag, someone wandering around on their own,etc....this charisma thing is just something else to add to the total time of a zone
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Fri Jul 13, 2001 12:17 pm

Haven't tried it after the change yet Chev.
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Fri Jul 13, 2001 6:32 pm

i like the concept. w/ the illusionist spell things should work out. only thing i would add and i think it was mention already. have bards 100 char be more then other's class 100 char. 15 for other 20 for bards Image
gordex
Sojourner

Postby gordex » Mon Jul 16, 2001 8:48 am

As far as this bit of code is concerned, it makes perfect sense. Sure, it wastes our time for 10 minutes, but it makes sense. The title of this posting says it all "Annoying code".

NOW...Lets say I brought 2 people to lead a group. One was a super model and one is the old maid from the Goonies. You are probably going to follow the super model, no questions asked.

Gordex - Gordex Travel Agency (almost there!)
My 2 Cents
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Mon Jul 16, 2001 9:29 am

I've got one I just discovered the other day.

While fighting Thyrm in Jot I took a freeze proc that paralized me. I tried to flee at first do various look scan type commands fleed again even. It had no message for any of this saying I couldnt move or anything. Even after it said I was no longer attractive to pigeons I still couldn't move or do anything. Finally after about 4 minutes it spammed all my commands I had entered while para. That one of the dumbest things I've seen in all my years on any mud.

-Jaznolg
Lyt
Sojourner

Postby Lyt » Mon Jul 16, 2001 9:38 am

And this relates to charisma and the number followers a leader can have how? Image *taunt Jaznolg*

Lyt
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Jul 16, 2001 9:56 am

I think he was relating it to the topic of annoying code...

Either that or it's just too late for silly drow to be posting Image

*duck*
Razabble
Sojourner

Postby Razabble » Tue Jul 17, 2001 4:46 am

I really don't know if I can see the practicality in this code anymore. At first, it seemed like a cool addition. Now, however, it is just a royal pain in the rear. If we all are in the supermodel's cool group and she defers to the square peg chick on what to do and how to do it, then we should date the supermodel and group with the square peg. Regardless, it was totally sick tonight, we were spelled up and moving in to kill the the liches and lord paracs and all the sudden brog gets ungrouped. So now we have to beautify belleshel bleh bleh bleh and start over, what a crock.

Razabble...
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Tue Jul 17, 2001 6:53 am

I have a natural charisma of 78 as a dwarf.

I can group 14 people naturally.

With an adjusted 100 charisma, I can group 14 people...

What exactly is the premise of this code?

In third edition all you need to be is like 8th level and take the leadership feat to take on followers.

Heck, I'd be willing to part with plat to go have cosmetic surgery medieval style so I can group 15 people at all times..

Jurdex
Dornax
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Tue Jul 17, 2001 7:24 am

Thinking again, and yes, I'm quite aware it's dangerous and I can sprain my brain.

Here goes anyways.

Thinking about bards vs. warriors, etc. as leaders.
Stop me if I'm wrong, but warriors are the ones trained in combat, right? So naturally, they'd be the best leaders. People follow them, group with them for their reputation as a leader. Think about Patton. That guy was brilliant. Rougher'n sandpaper, profanity coming out of his mouth every other word or so, and he had a bull terrier! Those dogs rule! But anyways, people followed Patton to their death. Would they have been as likely to follow him had he not been as successful as he was? Do you characterize Patton's personality as charismatic? Sure it's charismatic, but it's not like used car salesman or Bill Clinton charismatic. How exactly is charisma measured on the mud? Is it like a scale where you range between "a rock" and "Slick Willy"? I personally have the charisma of a rock, yet I still lead and organize things and stuff amongst friends and whatnot. Or is it a measure of your personality, going from something like sandpapery to completely unctuous?

Help! My poor dwarven brain is confused.

Anyways, my idear was thus:
I know prestige is going to have a big use in the future with questing and all, but why not have that help determine group limits too? People are going to be more likely to follow a famous guy than some schmuck that advertises himself as a leader. The people that actually lead the groups are the tried and true leaders, those that know their stuff and all (I'm babbling again).

Hmm, do I follow the guy who lead a (relatively) successful run against Tiamat?

Or do I follow this other guy who I hear got his entire group spanked by podlings? Damn, he's got a purty mouth.

I really should get decent quantities of sleep before posting, eh?

Mmm... Turkish Delight...

- Grungar "Oh, to be Prince Caspian" Forgefire

P.S. I had another mild brainfart whilst writing this. Could help to solve the warrior's "Give us something useful between disarm and headbutt" plight. Give them a leadership skill at or after 30. This allows them to expand their group size regardless of charisma. Bedtime.

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 17, 2001 7:34 am

Charisma is not looks. Charisma is leadership ability. How well people react to you and your effectiveness to command people's attention and hold it.

Bill Clinton is not good looking, but he's charismatic.

cha·ris·ma
Pronunciation: k&-'riz-m&
..snipped..
2 a : a personal magic of leadership arousing special popular loyalty or enthusiasm for a public figure (as a political leader) b : a special magnetic charm or appeal (the charisma of a popular actor)

Charisma being physical beauty is a popular misconception. The two have nothing to do with one another.

[This message has been edited by Kiaransalee (edited 07-17-2001).]
silvea
Sojourner

Postby silvea » Tue Jul 17, 2001 7:55 am

I myself like the code for group limits based on charisma. I even think it should an enhanced a bit and the penalties for a low charisma severe. (I know this sounds extreem).

But in a lot of stories and faerie tales. Bards, princes & princesess are the ones who lead armies, revolts and uprises against the evil guys, or paladins. The "stuppid" famous warriors are just the sargents or the meat shield on front, but the paladins and princes lead the cavalary to glory, the armoured knights, the nobles.

I agre that leadership comes with expieriance so its should be also a skill, but based on charisma. I doubt a lvl 20 warrior could lead more then 4 people to death, while a lvl 50 paladin/bard easly could have 20 people of big renown under him/her.

And about realistic, the leaders of today are nothing more then bards: Reagen, Clinton, Bush (sr, jr) they full of bullshit and act but little forsight and wisdom and still get half the votes of the US :P

Make charisma dependsed on group size, so a low charisma (troll worse??) could lead no more then 5 people pure on charisma, while a halfling (highest charisma) could lead 10 people pure on charisma? Then make the skill leadership avaible for bards, warrior (classes) with an varialble of 0 to 10.

This would resolve in a lvl 1 troll shaman (cha 40) could group 3 people, while a lvl 50 troll warrior could group max 15. The halfling bard with max charisma at level 50 could have then up to 20 people. The warrior can still be the general but the leader would be the bard.....
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Tue Jul 17, 2001 1:03 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Razabble:
<B>I really don't know if I can see the practicality in this code anymore. At first, it seemed like a cool addition. Now, however, it is just a royal pain in the rear. If we all are in the supermodel's cool group and she defers to the square peg chick on what to do and how to do it, then we should date the supermodel and group with the square peg. Regardless, it was totally sick tonight, we were spelled up and moving in to kill the the liches and lord paracs and all the sudden brog gets ungrouped. So now we have to beautify belleshel bleh bleh bleh and start over, what a crock.

Razabble...</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed, at first I thought this code was pretty neat...but now that _I'm_ the one that has to remove my armor and wear a frilly smock to hold a full group..its not as fun. Image

Belleshel wearing a dress into battle stands here.
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Tue Jul 17, 2001 4:31 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kiaransalee:
<B>Charisma is not looks. Charisma is leadership ability.
Charisma being physical beauty is a popular misconception. The two have nothing to do with one another.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But but the spell to increase charisma is named beutify Image
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Tue Jul 17, 2001 4:33 pm

lmao gind

he's right!

------------------
Malacar - French kissin midgets, and damn proud of it. Oh yeah... My comments can offend you now, I don't care anymore. Have a day.
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Tue Jul 17, 2001 5:55 pm

Here is a fun example, all spelled up and ready to fight Image

<> remove katana
You stop using an elegantly deadly katana.
You now have one less follower.
< 581h/581H 184p/184P 120v/120V >
<>

Group information for Belleshel and Company
Unsplit Coins: 0 platinum 0 gold 0 silver 0 copper
(Head) 581/581 hit, 120/120 move, 0/0 psp Belleshel
511/511 hit, 182/182 move, 0/0 psp Verarb
477/477 hit, 111/111 move, 0/0 psp Jamin
495/495 hit, 100/100 move, 0/0 psp Razabble
708/708 hit, 119/119 move, 0/0 psp Dartan
638/638 hit, 134/134 move, 0/0 psp Rylan
790/790 hit, 125/125 move, 0/0 psp Daalgar
703/703 hit, 114/114 move, 0/0 psp Hyldryn
590/590 hit, 159/159 move, 0/0 psp Seldrin
626/626 hit, 109/109 move, 0/0 psp Gordex
599/599 hit, 117/117 move, 0/0 psp Revenki
775/787 hit, 112/112 move, 0/0 psp Veldrex
659/462 hit, 114/114 move, 0/0 psp Jhorr
708/708 hit, 155/155 move, 0/0 psp Dornax
<> gsa lost brog

Rylan starts casting a spell.
<> You group-say 'lost brog'
remove platemail
wear shirt
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Jul 17, 2001 7:09 pm

We just like to see Bell in that sexy shirt :P

Maybe if you do 'wet shirt' you'll get +25max_cha :P
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Tue Jul 17, 2001 9:56 pm

Would someone please inform us as to the actual purpose of the charisma-based group limits, though?

I still don't see what it is accomplishing. Also, please do not think I am bitching, I am mostly just curious. Thanks for all of the hard work. The mud is better. Image

Jurdex
Dornax
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Jul 17, 2001 10:00 pm

I believe they wanted to try and make charisma useful...

Sarvis
Lyt
Sojourner

Postby Lyt » Wed Jul 18, 2001 7:56 am

From what I remember of the early talks, this was supposed to be something to help bards, as they have high charisma and would help get them in more groups, etc. Unfortunately they suck royally, so this nullified the effect. Don't palidorks have to have a high charisma? Maybe more of them could hold group.

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”