Good and evil and the abysmal pbase

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Jegzed
Sojourner

Good and evil and the abysmal pbase

Postby Jegzed » Wed Aug 22, 2001 7:06 am

Unless you play during the american primetime there is not much people online playing Sojourn nowadays.

I can spend entire evenings without enough people to zone, just because there simply is not any cleric or enough warriors on. Then goodies have a cleric or two on but no enchanters etc.

With a playerbase of approximately 70-90 people online at the same time it makes it extremely hard to form zone groups.

So WHY are we still divided into "goodrace" and "evilrace"?

The reason can't be RP, as a drow would never FOLLOW a troll anywhere, and we already allow paladins to group freely with necromancers.

The reason can no longer be that goodies are easier than evils, since they are supposed to be the same according to news.

The division between evil and good just fosters unneccessary fights between goods and evils, and only serves to lessen the amount of groups/zoning on the mud.

/Jegzed
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Wed Aug 22, 2001 7:15 am

Or invite more people to play!

I do wish there was an additional 50-100 players these days. I don't think pooling evils and goods together is the right thing though.

Once school starts up I think more people will stop by.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Wed Aug 22, 2001 7:38 am

Jegzed, as much as I'd love to agree with you, I can't.

I'm fairly certain that the entire evil/good thing has a purpose beyond that of rp. And I'm pretty sure it has grounds in balance. I seriously doubt the staff would just up and lift all the barriers.

I feel sorry for those people that play evil, and can't find something to do all the time, but then again there are a lot of reasons people don't play evil from the get go. I personally tried to play evil, learn things as much as I could same way I did being a good, but that is seriously looked down upon or something. Anytime I asked questions I was looked at like I knew nothing, and people told me to go back to playing a goodie. So I did, and I probably won't play evil again until more of my friends decide they want to play evil. There are some serious attitudes flying around this place, and though a lot of people are good natured and friendly, the ones that aren't are in fair enough supply to make some of us shake our heads and log.

Oh well, it's just like life, there are always people who can't get along w/ anyone.

Twyl
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Wed Aug 22, 2001 8:18 am

Goodies are in the exact same position at the same hours Twyl.

I've talked to several goodie leaders at those hours and they spend most the time waiting for some enchanter or cleric or something to log on.

As it is now, its not worth to play fulltime here unless you can do it at primetime.

/Jegzed
Garosh
Sojourner

Postby Garosh » Wed Aug 22, 2001 1:15 pm

I think if you allowed the goodies and the evils to form groups, something terrible might happen..
Like players might have more fun with the game.
Some of the best times of old were when My Dwarf and Serro the troll grouped up. I'd taunt him about getting burned to a crisp, and he'd taunt me cause I didnt regen 2000 hps in a fight.
With the smaller amount of players in game, groups could more easily be formed if you have all the players to choose from.
Just my humble opinion.

Garosh the retired Barbarian.
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Wed Aug 22, 2001 1:40 pm

This is a hard situation because Jegzed is absolutly correct, and yet i can't stand the idea of goods and evils being able to group together.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Wed Aug 22, 2001 2:52 pm

As much as I hate to say it, Zrax summed up my opinion perfectly.
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Wed Aug 22, 2001 5:29 pm

Whats going on here, black is white, up is down, myself and malacar have posted civily with one another on 2 consecutive threads, truly the end is near..

[This message has been edited by Zrax (edited 08-22-2001).]
Dinggle
Sojourner

Postby Dinggle » Wed Aug 22, 2001 5:51 pm

Jegz,

It's not all that great for evil chanters in prime time bro. There are a lot of new chanters popping up out of nowhere (been anon for 36 levels i'm guessing) and i'm finding it harder and harder to get a group now as a nearly 39 chanter. mon-fri i spend most of my time (6.30pm pst to 11pm pst) doing, well, nothing.

Teyaha
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed Aug 22, 2001 6:38 pm

I do nothing all week then I zone at 4am on saturday... then I do nothing all week again.
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Wed Aug 22, 2001 7:02 pm

teyaha, i need enchanter to zone. i usually can get everything but enchanter. jegzed u need to stop mudding euro hours and do california hours. i usually can mud mondays and maybe some other day not sure which one yet.

grouping w/ goodies/evils would rock. then i dont have to have 2 char. i know it's not going to happen cuz evil and goodie are balance now. in the sense that they both can do zone w/o the need of the other side.

but i think the solution is to lower xp some so people can get to higher lvl faster. it's tough making an alt to have the right class to zone when i can't even get my primary char above lvl 40
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Wed Aug 22, 2001 9:12 pm

I have no idea what its like on the evil side on Soj3, but could it just be something that will fix itself as people who havent had mad time to exp slowly arrive at the 40+ plateau?

Soj3 is still pretty young. This long after Soj2 opened, goodies still had a hard time zoning during US prime time and evils were in worse shape.

Mp
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Thu Aug 23, 2001 11:00 am

Ive thought about this for a while. I think in general it would be more fun if good races and evil races could group. For the life of me, I can't see how there would be balance issues...
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Thu Aug 23, 2001 11:27 am

Imagine trying to be a niche class fitting into a group that can have squids/druids too.

Dornax
Jurdex
Xyd
Sojourner

Postby Xyd » Thu Aug 23, 2001 12:59 pm

I'm going to agree with Malacar and Zrax. Guess the end really is near. Image

Does it make sense that a drow will follow a troll? Does it make sense an Illithid would follow any other race? Grey elves following a human? There are many rules here that just don't seem right and "good vs evil race" is illogical. I'm not saying to allow trolls into WD (god I love setting off the alarms!), but there used to be a solution... OC.

I personally liked the OC system Perhaps it needed tweaking but it allowed some additional freedom that frankly doesn't break any kind of race rules that aren't already broken.

.xyd
Trogar
Sojourner

Postby Trogar » Fri Aug 24, 2001 6:42 am

I never logon on non prime time hours. But in general groups are a bit harder to form now. I never do a complete who, but i'm estimating there is probably 140 players on an average night. I dunno. I know on toril there were 300 players everyday, and there were usually 4-5 groups going around.

Far as soj3 goes, usually Dornax or I logon at 6pm, we are always off and running by 7pm. Its not so bad right now.

Trogar
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Fri Aug 24, 2001 9:10 am

The current numbers are pretty much on par with the late summertime numbers of the past six years I've been on staff..

Which isn't to say I don't wish there were more, but you know the quote

"If you build it, they will come."

We have alot of plans and projects that will in all likelihood come into fruition over the winter (typically the most active development season) and hopefully more players will be drawn to Sojourn.

Also...like Mplor said, you have to give the people without 12 hours a day to exp time to catch up to the high levels. Image

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Thurg
Sojourner

Postby Thurg » Fri Aug 24, 2001 11:33 am

at least most of you arent playing an illusionist do you know how hard it is for me to find a group when my friends are all not playing now?!?! soon though soon

------------------
Thurg, Zossonnarr, Gramordeus, Zanzor, Zhaxilor, Krondal
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Fri Aug 24, 2001 5:47 pm

Hey evils need illusionists.... if you level to 40, hell even 35, and show any kind of skill we'll take you along whenever Image
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Fri Aug 24, 2001 6:24 pm

take me along cherzra. i'm tire of sitting at 3w
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Sat Aug 25, 2001 3:16 am

I still really like the idea of being able to group with anyone (exception being paladins and rangers maybe) but traditionally in ad&d (sure the mud is not ad&d blah blah) drows have grouped with humans, other then just drizzt. PCs have the perogative to get help where they can. If i was a unscrupulous rogue, do you think i would mind subscribing the help of a duergar to storm a haven of power like jotunheim?

just my opinion, I think it would add more fun.
zipalodok
Sojourner

Postby zipalodok » Sat Aug 25, 2001 9:35 am

hey jeg i play sweeden time no cleric!? i'm the one that says play more sweeden time Image, but yea i wouldent mind the mud bein like that either, if ya can't kill a goodie *mutter* should be able to group with one Image
and its to hot to stay awake durin day in vegas why i sleep durin day most the time Image, and after today fightin over zones or mobs with goodies is ridiculous, no one won over that dragon just stupid deaths for no reason.......but damn goodies took my notch!
Lyt
Sojourner

Postby Lyt » Sat Aug 25, 2001 12:08 pm

I for one would hate to see the evils and goodies grouping together. As a couple of other people said (which sums it up perfectly) there are those that play 12+ hours a day and have since day one. Yes they raced to 50, but now are stuck because the surpassed the rest of the player base. You are just going to have to be patient and wait for the slower people to catch up. The day that goodies and evils can openly group on Sojourn is the day that I retire for good.

On a side note, it seems to me that a lot of the people who player evils are foreign, usually European? Why don't they coordinate and set up their own zoning system? Do they not have enough players? It just seems to me that most of the troll and ogres are from Sweden and Norway and similar places. I might be wrong but I thought we had a large forgeign player base.

Lyt
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sat Aug 25, 2001 12:23 pm

Regretfully we don't have enough Europeans to do anything..

Cherzra the clog-wearing grass-smoking windmill-watching cheesehead.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sat Aug 25, 2001 1:02 pm

Green Bay isn't in Europe, Cherzra. You should have given me a call, I live in Green Bay too!

Yayaril

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”