Holy Word

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
rylan
Sojourner

Holy Word

Postby rylan » Mon Sep 17, 2001 2:08 pm

While the recent change to the spell to allow for a save against the 2 rounds of lag helps, I still don't see it being used as anything more than a novelty when someone is (really) bored, or has nothing better to do while XPing.

I'm not sure what chance to save and 1/2 the lag is based on, but I miss it about 30% of the time.
So 2/3 the time I have 1 round of lag, and 1/3 the time I get 2 rounds of lag after casting holy word.
The 1 round of lag is tolerable, but having 2 rounds of lag still happen a lot doesn't improve the usefullness of the spell any.

Not to mention the damage is rather pathetic.
We hit jot yesterday evening, and loki decided to unholy word us a couple times.. we got a pretty good laugh out of it, as it only did about 70hps of damage and the mob lagged from casting... rofl

I appreciate the effort to help the spell out, but as far as we're concerned, its still useless for zones due to the substanticl chance of big lag.
It was nice to see mobs getting lagged for 2 rounds after tickling us with unholy word though, instead of them casting clouds.
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Mon Sep 17, 2001 5:04 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rylan:
<B>While the recent change to the spell to allow for a save against the 2 rounds of lag helps, I still don't see it being used as anything more than a novelty when someone is (really) bored, or has nothing better to do while XPing.

I'm not sure what chance to save and 1/2 the lag is based on, but I miss it about 30% of the time.
So 2/3 the time I have 1 round of lag, and 1/3 the time I get 2 rounds of lag after casting holy word.
The 1 round of lag is tolerable, but having 2 rounds of lag still happen a lot doesn't improve the usefullness of the spell any.

Not to mention the damage is rather pathetic.
We hit jot yesterday evening, and loki decided to unholy word us a couple times.. we got a pretty good laugh out of it, as it only did about 70hps of damage and the mob lagged from casting... rofl

I appreciate the effort to help the spell out, but as far as we're concerned, its still useless for zones due to the substanticl chance of big lag.
It was nice to see mobs getting lagged for 2 rounds after tickling us with unholy word though, instead of them casting clouds.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with it being weak on the receiving end, I for one LIKED fearing unholy word. It made things more interesting, I dont' know too many people that quit the game because mobs wasted them with unholy word, but then i dont know everyone Image. I have a +8 save spell and i'm fairly sure I fail every spellsave I take, and I think i took 150 damage from undead boat keepers unholy word. I think life would be better as a whole for the PC/Mob clerics if it was only 1 round lag and beef up the damage a little. The spell its based on in D&D is supposed to be a powerhouse spell, and its nothing now. just my 2cents

E

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 17, 2001 6:26 pm

So how do you propose we balance the spell?

Keep in mind, what we don't want is clerics at level 31 told to go solo the double IC lieutenants until 36. We don't want solo clerics wasting level 59 casters with the spell. (All of which were done before).
Look at the lag after the spell as just the casting time for it.

Give productive feedback on how it can be changed to help the group without making clerics solo machines.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon Sep 17, 2001 7:24 pm

Hey Kia, how about this..

Have Holy/Unholy Word cause lag based on your spellcast skill and exp level.

So say that lvl 31-36 clerics who don't have a great invocation skill, and lower xp level will have the 2 round or so of lag after cast. As your level increases, the lag drops.

Maybe try for 1 round of lag for ~lvl 41 priests with a decent invocation skill, and a little under 1 round at lvl 50 with max skill? That sound like something that can be reasonable? Image

That was when we first get holy word its too laggy to solo with, but some work will have to be put in to get the skill level up in order to reduce the lag.
At high lvl, it'll make the spell useful for groups (since we can cast one or 2 without worrying too much about the tank dying while we are lagged). It should still be a pain in the ass to solo high lvl mobs with it will still have some lag.

[This message has been edited by rylan (edited 09-17-2001).]
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Mon Sep 17, 2001 9:10 pm

This may be a crazy idea, and maybe it belongs with the spell combinations idea as well. But what about having Holy Word work with some kind of harmony?

What I'm thinking is that say Rylan is grouped with 2 paladins, an anti, a druid and a ranger. Rylan wants to cast holy word. Not too hard to believe considering how much he harps about it. :P

So he rattles off the spell, and a check is made on his group status. Code sees he's got 2 'holy' casters with him, one 'unholy' caster, one 'neutral' caster and one sorcerous caster. The spell would be enhanced by the faith of the two holy casters(pali's), hindered somewhat by the presence of the unholy(anti) and doesn't really care about the neutral and sorcerous caster. Thus the spell damage(?) and effects are enhanced because Rylan's god looks favourably upon him hanging out with fellow goodie-two-shoes priestly types.

Idea probably needs some big revision, but may provide a way to make the spell more group-friendly while removing the solo-twinkage factor of Holy Word.

Sylvos - recipient of five(5) unholy words in the last 2 days.
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Mon Sep 17, 2001 9:18 pm

I think a good way to balance the spell would be to give it a 2 round lag and let the cleric have a chance to save for half that affect.
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Tue Sep 18, 2001 1:51 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kiaransalee:
<B>So how do you propose we balance the spell?

Keep in mind, what we don't want is clerics at level 31 told to go solo the double IC lieutenants until 36. We don't want solo clerics wasting level 59 casters with the spell. (All of which were done before).
Look at the lag after the spell as just the casting time for it.

Give productive feedback on how it can be changed to help the group</B> without making clerics solo machines.

</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But... but.... having clerics be solo machines *does* help the group! They get higher level faster!
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Sep 18, 2001 3:38 am

snicker.. very true

And believe me.. we pay for it when we hit lvl 40.. it takes forever to level past there. :P
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Tue Sep 18, 2001 3:56 am

Move it to 8th circle.

Make it like prismatic spray, except level-based (but still random).

At 36 it does damage.

At 41 it can also blind.

At 46 it can then stun.

At 50 it can para mobs. (small chance)

Remove the lag. If you para a mob you're lagged for one round.

Make it so paladins can only blind/damage mobs.

Dornax
Jurdex

[This message has been edited by Jurdex (edited 09-17-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Jurdex (edited 09-18-2001).]
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Tue Sep 18, 2001 4:02 am

I think the gist of what dornax proposed is an excellent idea.
zipalodok
Sojourner

Postby zipalodok » Tue Sep 18, 2001 10:34 am

here my 2 cents, the spell sucks i never get to use it, 95% of the post's involve goodies talkin about it, how about scratchin it and givin the evil side sumthin diffrent Image, ask any evil leader whens last time your evil cleric cast unholy word!? and what evil cleric used it to kill much higher lvl mobs solo? more or less the changes made to it made it even more of a useless spell on the evil side than the quote "UMBER Spell' its supposed to be.......
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Tue Sep 18, 2001 2:30 pm

I would have to agree with Zip on this. I think the best way to modify it for evil and good use alike is to remove the alignment barriers and allow thier god to area anyone for any reason the caster chooses. This being available in all situations tho with an area effect... I think the damage should be tuned accordingly. Either that.. or just take the spell out and make them focus on healing people... Image

-Jaznolg
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Tue Sep 18, 2001 4:49 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jaznolg:
<B>I would have to agree with Zip on this. I think the best way to modify it for evil and good use alike is to remove the alignment barriers and allow thier god to area anyone for any reason the caster chooses. This being available in all situations tho with an area effect... I think the damage should be tuned accordingly. Either that.. or just take the spell out and make them focus on healing people... Image

-Jaznolg</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think this may be due to the multitude of evil zones for goodies to vanquish and the lack of goodie zones for the evils to corrupt. Area makers unite!.. must make more happy areas for evils to stomp. nod me. If it's any consolation once I finish my first area creation i'll be more than glad to make some to this effect (if i don't totally suck at area making that is Image.

E
Joth
Sojourner

Postby Joth » Wed Sep 19, 2001 3:51 pm

Aye the evils have it easy P-).

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”