Arena - used or not?

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Todrael
Sojourner

Arena - used or not?

Postby Todrael » Tue Sep 18, 2001 4:57 pm

I forgot the thread where it was mentioned, but could the entrances to the Arena be moved into hometowns? One at 3w, one at dk fountain, etc? Would rule. We might actually use them that way. As is, the only one I know of is up near Ice Crag, and I don't know anyone that's willing to go up there to head into the arena. Easy access is one thing that is -required- for entertainment features of the mud.

-Todrael
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Tue Sep 18, 2001 6:05 pm

There are actually a ton of entrances to arena littered all over the surface world (haven't found one in ud yet...).
It would get more use if they were closer to HTs, but the arena in itself is boring, the only thing that makes the arena fun is group fights, and if you have enough for that, you are probably zoning/exping.
That being said maybe an 'arena channel' can be added for groups/folks wanting to fight others? A bored couple of goods/evils might be fun fighting..but most of the time Im there its empty and no real good way to organize fights except for a new channel.
Belle
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Sep 18, 2001 7:22 pm

That's an interesting idea Belle, I'll discuss it witht he staff. Image

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Wed Sep 19, 2001 12:25 am

Shev, I hope you're not just now noticing this idea!!! I've bleated for an arena channel in at least three seperate threads:

http://www.sojourn3.org/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000153.html

http://www.sojourn3.org/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000617.html

http://www.sojourn3.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000804.html

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shevarash:
<B>That's an interesting idea Belle, I'll discuss it witht he staff. :)

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Nokie 'No you don't!! That belongs to me!' Quickfingers

[This message has been edited by Nokie (edited 09-18-2001).]
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Sep 19, 2001 3:30 am

Arena channel would be nice..

But nobody has explained yet why the arena portals aren't in hometowns. That would make a much bigger difference.

Corth
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Wed Sep 19, 2001 4:01 pm

And for Miax's sake, please put some darned nature areas in the arena! :P

Izzy
Cyric
FORGER AREAS

Postby Cyric » Wed Sep 19, 2001 4:46 pm

Okeedokee, I've added 3 more portals making the total now 8. See the news for details.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Wed Sep 19, 2001 4:53 pm

Yay!! Thank you!! Now we only need the channel, and it's slaughter time!

-Todrael
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Wed Sep 19, 2001 6:06 pm

Some more ideas that came to me while I was standing outside the arena after a fun battle: Some kind of arena tracking system other than prestige. Something like this..

< 680h/680H 132v/132V >
<> astat todrael
Todrael Azz'miala
Level: 50 Class: Lich Race: Drow Elf
Arena Kills: 27 Arena Deaths: 0

< 680h/680H 132v/132V >
<>

Then maybe you could have an arena Board at the portals, look at it and it shows some top 10 lists, top 10 kills, top 10 deaths, top 10 ratio of kills/deaths, that sort of thing. Funfunfun. I know, lots more coding too, but this doesn't seem to have really caught on yet.. I know I'm going to be spending a lot of time here instead of idling nowadays though Image

-Todrael

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 19, 2001 7:13 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Todrael:
<B>Some more ideas that came to me while I was standing outside the arena after a fun battle: Some kind of arena tracking system other than prestige. Something like this..
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This was on the list of things we wanted before we opened (not to be confused with shev's "The List"). We referred to it as "stat tracking". It got shelved as we got closer to opening because of the crush and importance of other projects. Definitely something to consider taking back up now. I'll bring it up with shev and the other coders.

--D2
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Wed Sep 19, 2001 8:58 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by D2:
<B>
Definitely something to consider taking back up now. I'll bring it up with shev and the other coders.

--D2</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As nice as this would be, I see a lot of other things that need work before this should be given coders time Image
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Wed Sep 19, 2001 10:30 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by belleshel:
As nice as this would be, I see a lot of other things that need work before this should be given coders time Image</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I figure if we aren't getting Elementalists, Ranged combat, or Bard upgrades anytime soon, might as well try to get something fun out of them Image

-Todrael
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Wed Sep 19, 2001 11:42 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Todrael:
<B> I figure if we aren't getting Elementalists, Ranged combat, or Bard upgrades anytime soon, might as well try to get something fun out of them Image

-Todrael</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the type of thinking that makes sure things don't get done.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Wed Sep 19, 2001 11:51 pm

If any of those code updates were coming, we would know, right? They would post to development boards, or tell us that it's coming soon? Well then, since we have no word other than Elementalists postponed indefinately, it's safe to assume that these projects are on the backburner. As such, I was making suggestions for things that would increase the overall enjoyment of the mud in veins that are being expressed as codeable by the gods.

What I said was not the nicest phrasing for all of that of course, and I apologize if I offended anyone.

-Todrael
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Thu Sep 20, 2001 1:09 am

I am just suggesting that adding more things to their plate probably isn't helpful in getting the things we actually want implemented.

And passion about the mud isn't bad, it's good. Image
Cyric
FORGER AREAS

Postby Cyric » Thu Sep 20, 2001 4:32 am

You guys keep picking at this coder task stuff...I don't think I'm getting through to you...maybe cause I'm not a coder...here are a few examples of exactly what has happened here over the past few months:

1. Coder says "I'll take on that project!" and goes on to write a TON of code, has it 90% done on his home box, then disappears for 2 months, then comes back and says "sorry, will have it done tomorrow", then disappears for another 3 months...

2. Coder says "I have 6 hours to code something simple...anyone have anything they want done?" I'll be gone for 6 months after today.

3. Coder with fantastic skills and experience comes on and says "anything super broken that you want me to fix that nobody else can? you can have me for 3 days, then I have to leave again"

4. New coders come and say "I can code for 24 hours a day, but all I know how to do are procs".

5. Coder is working on simple proc and discovers "Hey, I can make this fantastic change with 2 lines of code...I'm gonna do it since it's my discovery and so easy" and a seemingly difficult project is completed in 5 seconds.

6. Coder says "I'm burnt out on coding...I want to write an area for a few months, then I'll come back"

This is the reality of our code and coders. We'd love to have a big list of projects, with everyone sharing information and code, but it doesn't work that way. I've been here for 7 years now and we've NEVER had as many productive coders that do fantastic coding work and that care as much about the players. Please cut us some slack and give us the benefit of the doubt. We will not post a list of projects and their status as this will do nothing but frustrate those that see deadlines pass or projects stagnate.

Thank you and please drive through.

Cyric
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Thu Sep 20, 2001 4:42 am

I agree and understand, Cyric. Unfortunately, this leaves us, the players, quite in the dark and looking to some glorious future that most of us believe will never come, but was promised to us. I always hearken back to when I first started playing, a whisper, "Drow are coming.". It took 8 years, but they finally did come.

Sojourn1 and Toril were both well known, in my mind, for the small number of changes that occured to the general system. For the first time, projects are being announced that will increase the life of the mud dramatically, and we all cheer these happily. But those deadlines you say that we would miss.... we see them anyways, in every day that goes by with no news, no word, and no hope.

-Todrael, whispering 'Elementalists are coming.'

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”