exp bar and trophy list

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Arki
Sojourner

exp bar and trophy list

Postby Arki » Sun Sep 16, 2001 7:03 am

I think the xp bar and trophy list should be removed. Seems to me it makes leveling and doing experience too easy.

Without the help of the xp bar and trophy list people wouldnt be able to optimize the amout of experience they were getting,(unless they were already experienced players), and indirectly make people vary their routines more often.

perhaps create a more well rounded player base ( ie. decrease the gap between high and low levels)?

ps: i hate lephrecauns
Mishre
Sojourner

Postby Mishre » Sun Sep 16, 2001 7:22 am

What? Make exp more difficult.. boy.. as if boring wasn't bad enough..... heheh Image ok, altering routines can be entertaining.. but i think ppl should do it just to explore or do something else for a change out of boredom.. trophy lists i think are kind of vital.. there have been times when i thought i hadn't killed something at all or not recently enough, checked trophy and it was astronomically high Image exp bars i agree do help quite a bit.. but i love it.. can't imagine playing w/o it now Image
Arki
Sojourner

Postby Arki » Sun Sep 16, 2001 7:26 am

What im saying is, i bet it wouldnt be boring if there were a greater amount of people of equal experience and level to you=) why should levels 1-41 suck unless you dont want something else?
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Sun Sep 16, 2001 8:05 am

Exp is boring, and any way to speed it up, I look favorably on. Don't slow down exp Image
Arki
Sojourner

Postby Arki » Sun Sep 16, 2001 8:13 am

I think exp is boring because people have become acustomed to the concept that levels pre 46 + are unimportant and are just an annoyance, rather than fully taking advantage of the opportunities availiable at their current level.
ShaylaRose
Sojourner

Postby ShaylaRose » Sun Sep 16, 2001 8:39 am

Arki, I am not experienced enough to comment on your reasoning, but I can offer a comment or two on what I have seen as a problem with making only the experienced, power players able to level with any success.

Zones.

In my month of experience, it seems to me that there is far too few interesting, "EQ" zones to justify making the game only playable (read: levelable) by the veteran high-powered player. Evermeet has has this wonderful zone. Elder Forest. I love that place and enjoyed every moment of play there in those early 21 levels. Quests galore! EQ to try to recover. Interesting foes. Everything else was pretty boring or uninteresting outside of EF. Since then? Nothing, really, has lived up to it. Where is all the interesting zones? Apparently at high level from everything I hear. "Wait til you hit 36 to 40+" is told to me all the time. Why? Because that's where the fun begins.

Maybe if there were as many "eq hunts" for level 1-41 players to do with as much excitement and rewards (relatively speaking), then there wouldn't be that rush you disdain. However, it seems to me that the work, zones, and coding being done is very focused on the high end. If that's where the focus and fun is, it's hard to blame people for wanting to skip over the rest.

Note: I am not really all that interested in leveling fast, but I have made TONS of friends out there, many of them veterans who want me to level fast so I can join them on the "real stuff" they do. So, almost fearfully, I am working hard on getting to where I can be a real use Image

Hugs!
Shayla
- Aedyra the Elven Enchantress
Arki
Sojourner

Postby Arki » Sun Sep 16, 2001 10:39 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Arki:
What im saying is, i bet it wouldnt be boring if there were a greater amount of people of equal experience and level to you=) why should levels 1-41 suck unless you want something else? </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Sun Sep 16, 2001 10:46 am

Levels <41 is only boring IF you buy eq or get eq given to you buy higher levels.

The most fun is the scramble around level 20's when all is half-naked and died 3x times trying to decorated leather eyepatch.
Arki
Sojourner

Postby Arki » Sun Sep 16, 2001 12:18 pm

agree jegzed if i understand correctly.

reading credits and from personal experience, (note: i havt even been level 50 or that close since toril so i should probly shut up=P) there are endless hours of fun "zones", xp, and eq obtainable by persons mid/lower level.

Since the majority of players here seem to be experienced hold overs from other incarnations of the mud, i think the current
batches of lower level newer players (no longer starting in pwipe situation) look at the experienced players and say "@uck this <insert common mid-level item here> I want something useful!"

Items designed for lower level players are not done seriously. Why bother, just level up, its easy enough, then grab higher level sh1t.

eliminate coded shortcuts! make 0 - 50 really mean 0-50!
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Sun Sep 16, 2001 4:13 pm

There's a couple of things I want to address within this thread. The first is ShaylaRose/Aedyra's perpetual comments about being inexperienced/newbie.

Stop it. Image Your amount of experience/playtime has no validity on the value of your opinions or observations.

Now then, I agree with the original idea of the removing the xp bar. I'd like to see it replaced with the guildmaster messages. They're much more vague, but you can still see some progress. There was just something more exhilerating about seeing - Your guildmaster grins at you! rather than seeing 46 or 48 > on your screen.

In regards to zones and interesting stuff, I have to agree with Shayla partially. I haven't encountered a lot of zones with the same level of interaction and diversity that the Elder Forest offers. Except possibly Calimport - what a quest heavy hometown. But there's a lot of fun areas out there that never see life because they aren't 'prime' exp areas. Places like Mistywood, West Falls, and yes... Undermountain.

Zoning is a tremendous amount of fun, I can't possibly dispute that. What makes it so much fun, varies from person to person. I love seeing the close fights, the almost-spanks. And you know what - for just about every level I've had I've had several almost-spanks. Sure, I've had a lot of real spanks too. Image

I'm not 50th level. I haven't been 50th level in 6 years although I've gotten close. I've managed to see an AWFUL lot of the mud, and I've seen how a lot of people approach the mud. The mud is what you make of it; zones are awesome but it's SOOOOO easy to enjoy yourself before zoning. Don't listen to the hype! Image

Sylvos the rambler
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Sun Sep 16, 2001 5:18 pm

Don't remove the expbar..

I LOVE IT! I'd even want to have MORE details at it..

I hate doing exp, so it feels NICE to see that I gained 2 > for a fun 1 hour run of ship exp.
ShaylaRose
Sojourner

Postby ShaylaRose » Sun Sep 16, 2001 5:26 pm

I am a little offended by Akri's inferring that I begged or asked for good equipment/items from higher level players. Nothing could be further from the truth! I spent two hours, died, and killed not one creature to start on sojourn. I never asked anyone for help or equipment then, much less any time since. Lilithelle and Mirlantharn both saw my stubborn struggles to succeed and, out of the goodness of their hearts, gave me a little boost. Lil got me some decent newbie stuff and Mir gave me advice and a helping hand. I managed to make level 3 that night and was elated at not being battered by level 1 foes. Since then, I have been upgrading fairly steadily and not once did I ask anyone to get or give me anything. Never! I like to role-play and make friends, if the benefits are that I have better items than I should if I had to get every piece on my own or with people of similar experience, I am sorry that you find that deplorable. I am having fun, meeting people and enjoying my progress/learning of what I think is a challenging class. I have made other newbie characters to make sure I can escape back into a role where I am still learning the mud, but so many enjoy role-playing or traveling with Aedyra, that I get requests to continue her advancement all the time.

So, again, I am sorry that some think this is a bad thing, but I am not going to apologize for having good friends =) In fact, I feel quite fortunate and try to return the favor by doing the same to other newbies that join the mud. I can't imagine how that's a bad thing.

As for Calimport, I will try to learn that ASAP, Sylvos! =) If it lives up to EF, I will enjoy spending hours and hours in it! =)

Mistywood, Elder Falls, and Undermountain all sound interesting, as well. All of these are safe for a little enchantress to walk around on her own in I take it? =)

Oh, and I know what you mean, Jegzed, about the scrambling but I must point out one factor in that to you. I haven't a clue what you are talking about =P In some cases, what veteran players know about certain areas and mobs grants a tremendous advantage to them. To say that I could accomplish even half of what you do if we were both naked at level 20 would probably be a great exaggeration. =)

Anyway, I *am* having fun Image and hope that no one regrets my success because I sure don't!

Hugs!
Shayla
- Aedyra the Elven Enchantress
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Sun Sep 16, 2001 6:08 pm

Never remove the exp bar!!!!! When killing the same mobs over and over in a mindless dance to advance yourself the only thing that kept me sane was the slow tangable pogress i could see on that bar...
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Tue Sep 18, 2001 1:34 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jegzed:
<B>Levels <41 is only boring IF you buy eq or get eq given to you buy higher levels.

The most fun is the scramble around level 20's when all is half-naked and died 3x times trying to decorated leather eyepatch.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFL.. yeah that was fun. Our tanks got spanked trying to do a lot of stuff before we were ready. Props to Turg and Blung who died quite a few times to Duergar Guardians tryin to hook some casters up with a dwarven scale. Think the tanks were level 30ish then wearing skimpy eq and casters were around mid to lower 20's... group of 12 or so for those events.

-Jaznolg
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Sep 18, 2001 7:41 pm

I agree with zrax and jezged

If getting "experience" was more than just a mindless waste of time so that you can eventually do some fun things, then maybe this would not even be an issue.

Corth
Narkal
Sojourner

Postby Narkal » Tue Sep 18, 2001 8:06 pm

I actually posted something about this before. I think that it would be much better if we took out the xp bar and had just our guildmasters to tell us how much xp we had. There isn't that mind set of "just one more notch" when you can't see how many you have. I agree that people would probably go out and see more and do more stuff if they didn't know that killing mob A through mob G in a certain order would get them X amount of experience.
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Tue Sep 18, 2001 8:45 pm

These things make me wonder sometimes why I spend countless hours of time playing this game. I think Aedyra's success is likely due to good attitude, and asking good questions, then implementing the suggestions/advice.

I like the exp bar, but it has made little overall difference in how I play, I have in nearly 7 years of mudding NEVER been level 50, its not from a lack of playing, or not knowing my class. It is from not feeling I NEEDED spank equ to have fun. I actually know several people I mud with, some of whom I've met since mudding (read from the mud). Yes zones are fun, yes its a great feeling getting a sweet piece of equ.

That said, I agree w/ Sylvos on the exp thing, there's fun to be had at any level, just is what you make of it.

BTW, for hometowns w/ killer quests I gotta say my favorite is GN (better be a barb tho) Quests are everywhere, from very easy to ones I doubt have ever been completed.

CP is a town I've wandered, but haven't done quests in, too far for these barbarian legs to walk often. I may have to make something to hometown there just for the fun of it.

In short, quit complaining, enjoy the game for what it is, and if you have suggestions, please make them in a positive, constructive context.

Thank you for your support.

Toplack Everdying Shaman
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Wed Sep 19, 2001 10:20 am

Arki!!!!

We will get our revenge on the leprechaun!!!

Ladak!
*SnoRt*
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Sep 19, 2001 12:41 pm

exp sucks. trophy gives me something to type while im doing exp. im all for that since i usually cant type help (which i would really like to do even in combat).

Personally, id be great if they removed trophy so that you could keep doing the same easy exp, but i doubt that will happen.

Each person will get what they want to out of this game, or they'll quit. Personally, im not in it for the challenge of leveling up to 50. I like zoning. exp is a nuisance.

Lets not make it harder just beacuse a few people really enjoy the challenge of leveling. They can make exp challenging all the ways they want to for themselves without affecting the rest of us. You dont have to use twinked eq, you could kill the same mob only once, or kill yourself trying to do quests and mobs that are too high level. whatever, not my cup of tea.
Selias
Sojourner

Postby Selias » Thu Sep 20, 2001 5:27 pm

I figured I'd put my 2 cents in. Recently I've been trying to get a core group of friends together so that we could start doing minor zones like MS, Dusk, and I even want to take a stab at the Trollbark forest.

There's 1 constant problem I keep running into. Whenever I look for healers, I always find the clerics busy doing exp, or no hitters that are free etc. Even when I do find a comprehensive group, people really aren't super willing to walk to their deaths.
I'm not bitching that there aren't enough mid-level zones out there, because I know that there are a ton. What I am concerned about is the ability to do these zones. Say I have a cleric, 2 tanks, a hitter, and me going into a mid-zone, and boom! One of our tanks dies. That means we either have to wait 30 mins for them to walk back from GN or MH, or bug a weller to try and get them here faster. In the mean time the rest of the group is stuck in the zone doing nothing, when we could all have been doing safe exp in order to get to level 40+ and do the real zones, not to mention the exp loss due to death... that really bites, especially as an enchanter

I guess what I'm getting at is that often times the rewards of doing a zone (marginal eq, and some knowledge) don't outweigh the risks involved (getting spanked, losing exp, time consumption). More players would rather just level to 40+ so that they can have a safer time zoning.

I had more things I wanted to post, but I forgot them.

sel
Selias
Sojourner

Postby Selias » Thu Sep 20, 2001 5:31 pm

Oh yeah, I remembered what else I wanted to say. It seems that it's more worthwhile to do mindless hours of exp than it is to do the mid-zones. If you start taking time away from exp to do these mid-zones, then you're going to have an even harder time hitting 40+ that you would normally.

Overall it seems that doing exp is more rewarding than going to that mid-zone and getting spanked. Afterall, once you're 40+ you can stomp through the zone anyway.

I'm more or less playing the devil's advocate, because I'm all in favor of checking these new places out. Anyone want to tag along?

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”