Lichs are a class?

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
kiryan
Sojourner

Lichs are a class?

Postby kiryan » Fri Sep 21, 2001 1:33 am

Lichs are a class now? that sounds kinda hookey. I thought it was really cool that lich was a race not just a class when first impd. That was super cool, and it made a lot of sense.

If they became a class so goodies could have lichs too. Thats bunk. Goodies have rangers and paladins and druids but evils dont. Evils have squids true, but just because one side has them doesnt mean the other side needs them. just dont see paladins and rangers running around with lichs or necromancers no matter what the race or alignment. Are paladins going to be able to group with good aligned lichs or necromancers? if not, youve taken the line between evil races and goods and drawn another one within the goods. Divide and conquer is that what you had in mind?

IF lich is too powerful to have only on one side then you have a different issue that could be solved in a more creative way then making lich a class. Add a new class, give a goodie only class upgrades to compete with liches ect... You couldve made illusionist goodie only, or make elementalists good only. or change the name of lich to something else.

In closing lich as a class strikes me as odd especially after reading the lich quest logs. how about you?
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Fri Sep 21, 2001 1:44 am

Them being a class fixes multiple issues with them. For one, Yuanti were growing ears/legs when they became liches.
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Fri Sep 21, 2001 2:00 pm

I have to agree with Kiyran, good groups cant group with a troll or an orc, but the epitomizing embodiment of evil, a lich is no big deal. This is hokey.
Ubek
Sojourner

Postby Ubek » Fri Sep 21, 2001 2:37 pm

I agree too.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Fri Sep 21, 2001 9:38 pm

I'm sorry you disagree.

Liches are not a race. They're a form of undead. It was changed to reflect this, and to fix several problems arising from 3 different races of necros all turning into the same race of lich.

It's not a conspiracy against evilraces.

And liches are not the 'epitome of evil' - I'd say that honor would belong to Baatezu (devils). Good liches exist as well in the AD&D/FR world.

Anyhow.

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Fri Sep 21, 2001 9:46 pm

With a voice as cold as ice, the figure whispers into your ear 'Immortality
is what you seek, Immortality is what you shall have. You are a fool and will
curse this day for all eternity, but you have proven yourself resourceful,
evil, and ruthless. Henceforth all will despise you on sight and run from you
in terror. Children will have nightmares about you, and armed men will hunt
you down in your places of hiding. Your flesh will rot from your bones, and
only undead creatures will be comfortable in your horrid presence.'
'Most importantly you will lose your soul and all semblances of mercy,
charity, joy, pleasure, and the ability to love. May the dark gods laugh at
your plight, and may you ever recall this day with terror.'

Sounds like a good guy lich to me!
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Fri Sep 21, 2001 10:12 pm

Ok, whatever.

The other point I forgot to mention is....good RACES are just as capable of evil as the evil RACES.

You trolls and drow don't have a monopoloy on it.

------------------
</B>
Blung
Sojourner

Postby Blung » Fri Sep 21, 2001 10:17 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shevarash:
Ok, whatever.

The other point I forgot to mention is....good RACES are just as capable of evil as the evil RACES.

You trolls and drow don't have a monopoloy on it.

</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*cough* ranger where? *cough* Anti-Pal where?*cough* *cough* Who evil ranger *ponder* who evil anti pal *scratch*

[This message has been edited by Blung (edited 09-21-2001).]
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Sat Sep 22, 2001 12:22 am

If you have something to say, just say it. Image

------------------
</B>
Blung
Sojourner

Postby Blung » Sat Sep 22, 2001 1:33 am

Evils need sub-warriors too with all the reason changes, you don't see that many warrior playing these day. Either dead or migrate to a new body. And how about some cool weapon for warrior only? Ranger have windsong, paladork have avernger, anti have unholy avenger. As always, warrior are just nothing but a meatshield these day, not as bad as conjurer or bard.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sat Sep 22, 2001 4:41 am

I think lich as a class is more reasonable than as a race. Just because your flesh starts melting off, doesn't mean the drow all of a sudden grows to be the 'average lich height'. Nor does the yuan-ti change into a bipedal humanoid. If we want to delve deeper into Forgotten Realms lich lore, there were also very rare Arch liches which are of good nature and most often elves.

Yayaril
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Sat Sep 22, 2001 5:05 am

Forgotten realms has made a living off creating races, and beings and then writing long stories about the one that went against their racial instincts, thats hardly a good example. I do think that it should be a class however, i dont think a yuanti lich or a human lich would have ears enough to put an earring on, and I wasnt meaning to suggest they should be evil only as a matter of good vs evil race balance, it just doesnt seem very logical to me is all.

[This message has been edited by Zrax (edited 09-22-2001).]
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sat Sep 22, 2001 6:23 am

Then here is something else you can ponder over- You can trip slimes.

Yayaril
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Sep 22, 2001 6:35 pm

Thanks for informed posts Shev. I can understand the coding aspect of it now, it was prolly the easiset solution and one that could be somewhat explained, and gave goodies lichs so evils wouldnt have them exclusively.

I personally disagree with lichs not being a race and if you really wanted to be more accurate on that they should remain their race and be flagged undead (ack! that looks like a nightmare) or code around the same height, getting ears and legs ect...

I also think the split within the goodies is ridiculous with rangers and paladins not being able to group with lichs and antis. You leave the goods vulnerable to one class becomign dominating. what happens if when archery goes in rangers are suddenly indispensable? antis and necros dont get groups. Whose going to bring rangers and paladins when you got lichs as they exist presnt day.

I think a better solution would be to make antipaladins evils / evil race. and leave lichs on the evil side too.

Oh ya, i dont think evils need subclassed warriors. look at all the problems they have with them on the good side and balancing them ect... worthless especially since were playing a caster mud.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Sun Sep 23, 2001 7:41 pm

Eh, Rangers and Pals CAN group with evil now.

------------------
</B>
Tanras
Sojourner

Postby Tanras » Tue Sep 25, 2001 10:30 pm

you mean there isnt a goodie lich yet? Jeez I should come back and play! Who wants to hand me down the powerlevelage!
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Sep 26, 2001 4:10 am

We have a goodie lich.

Lots of us got to die a lot helping him get the quest items.. cackle! :P

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”