maxstr and crits

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
cherzra
Sojourner

maxstr and crits

Postby cherzra » Fri Sep 14, 2001 7:39 pm

The way it currently is, gives you 1% extra to crit for every 10 points of strength, right?

Now most maxStr eq is only +4 or +5, so you have to wear a lot of it to get that extra percent. These items don't have much other benefits besides str, so almost nobody uses them.

Maybe it can be made so that for every 5 points of maxStr there is 1% extra to crit? Of course the mud would have to be able to distinguish between racial str and maxstr items, so ogres don't suddenly get 20% chance at crits. This should just apply for maxstr eq you WEAR.

This way people might opt for different eq variations and not everyone will be wearing the same.
Calinth
Sojourner

Postby Calinth » Fri Sep 14, 2001 8:54 pm

Not quite right, Cherzra. As they explained it when they implemented it, it was 1% per 10 str over human baseline 100 str. So an ogre at 100 str, already has something like an 8% or better chance to crit. I don't know how troll str compares to human, so you're on your own figuring theirs out.

Calinth
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Fri Sep 14, 2001 9:21 pm

That's what I said... separate of racial strength. If an ogre has 200 str, the bonus he gets for that should be in increments of 10 still. The 1% should be for 5 points of str over your 100 max, instead of 10 as it is now. So e.g. a human would get an extra % for 105 str, an ogre for 205, a halfling for 75, etcetera Image
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Sat Sep 15, 2001 12:43 am

Insteresting thing, Cherzra, is that you assume that when an ogre wears +5 Max_str they get 205, not 210. Why do you think that?
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Sat Sep 15, 2001 2:48 am

and max crit rate is 7% period..
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sun Sep 16, 2001 9:55 am

gawd why you guys jump all over his ass. he just said maybe we could have max str eq up crit rate so people would wear different eq.

he didnt make any assumptions and if he did im sure he not stupid enough to saying this is exactly how the code has to implement it.
Calinth
Sojourner

Postby Calinth » Sun Sep 16, 2001 6:55 pm

Okay, I misread his post and was wrong on what Cherzra's point was, so ignore what I said.
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Sun Sep 16, 2001 7:42 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
<B>gawd why you guys jump all over his ass. he just said maybe we could have max str eq up crit rate so people would wear different eq.

he didnt make any assumptions and if he did im sure he not stupid enough to saying this is exactly how the code has to implement it.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ogres, Trolls, etc already have a massive bonus to their crit chance. Frankly, I think it's too high. Adding to it is not a solution for anything.

And you *can* wear max_str eq as other races and get some benefit on your crits. People are already doing so, or planning on it in cases where they haven't got the eq yet.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Mon Sep 17, 2001 4:18 pm

Did I ask for this change to affect trolls and ogres only? Sheesh. And FIY trolls are nothing special in the crit dept, being at the same naked dam as dwarves and barbs, with duergar and ogres having higher damrolls. My suggestion would be nicer for all. But I thought it over once more, it depends on whether the +5maxstr is added before or after the racial conversion. E.g. a troll has 100 troll str naked, which is converted to 125 human str. Is the +5maxstr added to the 125, or the 100 before conversion? If it is added before, then my suggestion is pretty much already imped, since you might go over a strength crit notch (str div 10 is higher than before). If it is added after, then I'd like to see it imped as it benefits everyone and allows for more eq variety Image Anyway, my last post on this, time to go spend some company cash on a fancy restaurant dinner!
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Tue Sep 18, 2001 8:07 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
Did I ask for this change to affect trolls and ogres only? Sheesh. And FIY trolls are nothing special in the crit dept, being at the same naked dam as dwarves and barbs, with duergar and ogres having higher damrolls. My suggestion would be nicer for all. But I thought it over once more, it depends on whether the +5maxstr is added before or after the racial conversion. E.g. a troll has 100 troll str naked, which is converted to 125 human str. Is the +5maxstr added to the 125, or the 100 before conversion? If it is added before, then my suggestion is pretty much already imped, since you might go over a strength crit notch (str div 10 is higher than before). If it is added after, then I'd like to see it imped as it benefits everyone and allows for more eq variety Image Anyway, my last post on this, time to go spend some company cash on a fancy restaurant dinner!</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tried to tell you that earlier:

Insteresting thing, Cherzra, is that you assume that when an ogre wears +5 Max_str they get 205, not 210. Why do you think that?

*shrug*
Keran
Sojourner

Postby Keran » Thu Oct 04, 2001 6:19 pm

What is the first +max_str notch for barbs to up crit %?

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”