Male vs. Female

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Male vs. Female

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Oct 26, 2001 6:29 pm

First, I'm biased. Everybody should know that at the start. I am a real life female and I like roleplay. I would never play a male character because I simply don't want the challenge of behaving like a man, especially where the genders interact, I like being a woman. I like being addressed as a woman, responding as a woman, BEING a woman. Don't call me "dude," "man," "guy," or any of those. When I meet somebody the first time and it's not obvious, one of the first things I do is use one of the socials which shows me what gender they are so I can address them appropriately.

I miss roleplay desperately. I think Sojourn is taking a major hit as it moves away from the roleplay arena. Somebody else mentioned that we're getting in the wave of players who are geared towards games like Doom and Quake, to hell with all the atmosphere and body roleplay lends to a game, it's all just stats and numbers.

I've been curious for some time as to why so many males would roll up female characters. I don't think it was as commonplace once as it is becoming. It used to be the standard answer given for that question was "to twink equipment cuz all they have to do is flutter their eyelashes and guys bury 'em in it." Maybe, I don't know, I don't think I've ever tried that tactic. There was also the problem of the Succubus and charm, and the use of female only pieces of equipment. Now it seems that troll and ogre females are larger and therefore better tanks, and players are being lauded for playing females to "be the best." So now we have all these male players playing female characters, never intending to play them as females, stripping away any pretense of roleplaying at the rolling stage.

No, I'm not trying to indicate in any way that roleplaying should be enforced, that gender should be enforced, or any of those other things people are going to get up in arms about. I just think that if players are encouraged to roll characters they have no intentions of roleplaying, then there's really no encouragement FOR roleplaying. Not everybody likes to RP, but I think RP makes the experience of gaming in a world like Sojourn a much more rewarding, fulfilling experience.

So I guess my question is, why are players encouraged to roll female characters over males? If there are going to be reasons to roll one over the other, shouldn't they both have their positive and negative sides? I'd willingly put up with an incubus to balance out the charm of the succubus. As to the ogre/troll weight of tank issue, I'm clueless there. There are already so many players with female tanks it would be silly to make changes that would penalize them for playing their chars for this long.

I just keep hoping that we'll see rewards for roleplay, which will encourage a return to roleplay. I always felt that RP was encouraged on Sojourn, although not required, and that was one of the things I've always enjoyed. This system seem to reward those who have no intention of roleplaying.
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Fri Oct 26, 2001 6:37 pm

I think i can safely speak for the male population of sojourn when I say there isnt a male out there who hasnt had a secret thought or hidden desire to roleplay a lesbian troll warrior. Sojourn has provided us a forum for this desire to be satiated.
Wobb2
Sojourner

Postby Wobb2 » Fri Oct 26, 2001 7:18 pm

ROFL Zrax.

It's true I must say. What's even worse is I rolled up a female for my troll warrior because female trolls are generally more brute, are immune to EP charms, can carry sword of the valkyrie if needed, and can bash some ogres, where male trolls have been unable to.

And...I hate it. I hate playing a female character. Now that my wife plays (who has a female troll) it really mucks it up, and destroys a true RP scenario for us as mates. (don't go there)

I'd give anything to have the gods switch my gender to male but leave my height and weight and ability to bash large things where they are!

But, after playing a male troll then a female, there are so many advantages to being female.

On the topic of eq. No one ever gave me eq under the pretense they thought I was a woman. I always tell people up front.

Someone asked me the other day, "Wobb actually passed for a female name?"

Wobb
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Fri Oct 26, 2001 8:07 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wobb2:
<B>Someone asked me the other day, "Wobb actually passed for a female name?"
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Umm Boya has ya beat on odd gender/name Image
gnerble
Sojourner

Postby gnerble » Fri Oct 26, 2001 10:38 pm

In some races, females are larger than males. Considering how size code works, this is a good thing.

An old assassin swore to me that females have higher innate dex than males.

Frobakhal
Sojourner

Postby Frobakhal » Sat Oct 27, 2001 1:21 am

Yeah I agree, but I know how some players just want a better advantage and thus make use of the female sex. I also think the mud is gearing away from RP especially on evil side. A few of us are in the process of trying to get a RP evil association, but it's not easy to compete with so little pbase, the disadvantage of having less people wanting to be in a rp association, and the funds where it's much easier to raise if you have a guild that's full over a guild that may have 5 players at the most. I believe once the association gets off and others see how much fun it could be, they may join as well..but until then I don't agree with how rp associations should have to pay as much of a guild fee as what the majority of associations have to pay. Image
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sat Oct 27, 2001 2:24 am

I never understood why there is such a clear advantage roll-play wise as to being a female. Add in some male only gear, or change the succubus so it can charm anyone (That's how it works in D&D). I like how in Dungeons and Dragons there really is no advantage to being a male or a female. I don't see why there is this shift in Sojourn.

Yayaril
Vylare
Sojourner

Postby Vylare » Sat Oct 27, 2001 3:17 am

It might be to encourage people to play female characters so that the male/female percentage is closer to what it would be in a normal situation (somewhere close to 50/50) rather than 95/5 as it probably is if you only play the sex you actually are.
Heh that was a long sentence, hope it made some sense.
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Sat Oct 27, 2001 3:26 am

Goya... Oh Boya!

- Grungar "GSF" Forgefire
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Sat Oct 27, 2001 5:09 am

all i have to say is dont believe anyone who say they are female. they are just trying to trap you. remember the rules.

rule # 1.
all mudders are male.

rule # 2.
even if they are female, remember rule # 1.

i forgot some of the other rules but if u keep these rules in mind, u will forever be safe.
Zen
Sojourner

Postby Zen » Sat Oct 27, 2001 8:03 am

Rule #3, never date an ogre.

Who cares what the male to female ratio is? If the mud is 95% male, so be it. Playing a girl seems kinda lame for a guy, and downright impossible for some of us. Trust me I could never pull off portraying a woman, not even in text.

I think the problem is two fold. First, there's no reward/gratification for role playing a character. That's rather minor, to be honest. It doesn't stop rp, everyone on the mud who's playing an elf is doing it because elves are cool. That's rp. Second, and I don't know why, there seems to be a sudden exodus of all the rp players. Either that or nobody seems to have time anymore.

I dunno what's going on or what the solution is, but it's to the point where I don't even really see the (RP) flag up that much anymore. Odd.

-Zen
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Sat Oct 27, 2001 8:40 am

Its easy to roleplay a woman, just talk alot, and harp on the males in the group. If they ask why, tell them, you should know why. Set up an autoloot trigger, and never split cash in group.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Oct 27, 2001 9:59 am

If I rolled an grey elf it'd be a chick. Elven chicks are hot. I sure as hell wouldnt roll a dwarf, ogre, troll, duegar, barbarian (thank you eq *shudder* barb chicks are UGLY), ect...

I'd have no problems playing a female character, decking her out, writing cool descript for her. I would have a problem role playing her as a chick. I could do it, but it would feel wierd. For me role play goes as far as eq, descriptions, and the vision of my char in my mind. I rarely engage in active roleplay though I love fantasy, it feels wierd.

As sok said,
rule #1, all internet chicks are guys
Rule #2, see rule #1
rule #3 even the internet chicks you meet in rl are probably still guys.

Lot safer that way =). Now course times are changing, there really are chicks that play internet games and go into xxx chat rooms, but its a lot safer for me to just assume you're all guys. snicker
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Sat Oct 27, 2001 10:39 am

Ive always said that all Mudders are guys. Act this way and you will be 100% safe.
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Sat Oct 27, 2001 3:25 pm

Caz has big man-boobs.

so he can go either way.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sat Oct 27, 2001 4:33 pm

I've rolled chick characters in the past, and usually do so on the "other" mud. While there's little difference code-wise, being female has advanatages.

There are female-only equipment and procs, like someone else said. Valk sword, succubus. There are no such advantages for being male. All else being even, this is enough for power-gamers to play chicks all by itself.

Male mudders talk to female characters differently than they do male characters. You can see the difference immediately. Whether consciously or subconsciously, many male mudders are more openly friendly toward players who appear female. I don't mean they give them equipment, though that does happen. I mean, they tend to listen to what you have to say more closely, and they give your opinion more weight. Some newer mudders are naive enough to believe that all female characters are female players. I've been hit on countless times on Duris, playing a female char. That's the best... if someone is naive enough to hit on you without considering you might not really be a girl, they're probably pretty easy to wrap around your finger Image

All you really have to do when confronted with uncomprehending guys is use more socials and throw smiley faces at them every few lines, and sometimes you can get some powerlevelling or spare gear out of it.

Is that heartless?
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Sat Oct 27, 2001 4:41 pm

Vadian hands a manzier to Caz.

I like role-play, and throw it in once in a while. Unfortunately, and this is why I don't usually tog on my (RP), many many things one does on the mud can't compute for role-playing.

Case in point. Killing lighthouse elites. I'm a good-aligned ranger. They are good xp that I can't afford to pass up. Doh!

Case in point. I needlessly slaughtered probably three hundred buffaloes in my journey through the midlevels. Doh! Sorry Mielikki!

Anyway, I COULD avoid these things, but life is hard enough, so I tog off the RP for now. Anyone who sees a ranger with RP on killing buffs, please give him a *whap* from me (unless he says it is a population control measure to protect the grassland ecosystem, yeah! Image )

Alignment/nature stuff aside, RP is often too spammy in large groups. I have alot of emotes and notification-type stuff that I have attached to one toggled variable so I can be un-spammy in large groups.

Male/Female - I would prefer no advantages based on gender. I would like to be able to tell what sex ppl are without asking - seems rude. "Pardon me, are you REALLY a girl?" Try that in real life sometime *wince*

Anyway, I'm all for roleplaying. If anyone wants to get in character with me, feel free, I'll respond in kind Image

Just some stray thoughts.

Vadian
Gakka
Sojourner

Postby Gakka » Sun Oct 28, 2001 7:20 pm

Drow males can't be clerics (In AD&D anyhow). Here I would always roll a female.
-And then roleplay the bitch eh,. . . lady.

So there is rp purposes, sometimes.

Gwa' tru warg fo' URD KEBAB!!!!
Gakka Image
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sun Oct 28, 2001 7:40 pm

That's only in Menzoberranzzan. Actually only followers of Lloth... the other 2 major Drow dieties both allow male priests. Elistrae and... wanna say Valkur but I'm pretty sure that's not it... can't remember his name. Bah! Drow god of thieves... heh.

Sarvis
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Sun Oct 28, 2001 7:42 pm

Just a quick note - I blatantly refuse to kill lighthouse elites. Plenty of other good xp mobs. To this date, I have not killed a lighthouse elite with this incarnation of Sylvos. It IS possible vadian Image

Sylvos
Zazure
Sojourner

Postby Zazure » Mon Oct 29, 2001 12:33 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sok:

rule # 1.
all mudders are male.

rule # 2.
even if they are female, remember rule # 1.

*grin* does this mean I get to be male or I am not really a mudder?

stands up and smiles to *actually* be a female mudder
ShaylaRose
Sojourner

Postby ShaylaRose » Mon Oct 29, 2001 4:10 am

[This message has been edited by ShaylaRose (edited 10-30-2001).]
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Mon Oct 29, 2001 4:43 am

Believe my Aedyra your long winded and often repetative posts make the fact that you are female more than obvious.
Nida
Sojourner

Postby Nida » Mon Oct 29, 2001 4:47 am

Whoa! Unnecessary gender-bashing! Flag on the play! ^_^

-Nida, Warrior (well, mage) Princess
ShaylaRose
Sojourner

Postby ShaylaRose » Mon Oct 29, 2001 4:57 am

Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Mon Oct 29, 2001 5:21 am

Im impressed you didnt qualify your post by reminding us all that you are just a newbie.
ShaylaRose
Sojourner

Postby ShaylaRose » Mon Oct 29, 2001 5:40 am

Nida
Sojourner

Postby Nida » Mon Oct 29, 2001 6:27 am

Why is there a sudden burst of flame here? This thread has been nothing but normal up until now-- discussing roleplay and game mechanics was the primary topic here. People have been posting rational responses and thoughts (for once ^_^). So Shayla got a little indignant over Sok's post-- it's understandable; humor of that nature isn't always taken well. At least, I take it as humor; if it wasn't intended that way, well then it's nothing we all can't just recognize as unenlightenment. But for you to come back with such blatant, ignorant, inflammatory commentary is unacceptable, Zrax.

I'd like to point out that I'm not a bullhorn-wielding hyper-feminist. I'm not gonna jump on everyone who makes a joke. Hell, I'll make 'em, too. But let's keep the unnecessary and completely unprovoked flames off these boards-- I have no doubt it's one reason the gods don't even bother to listen to half these threads anymore.

-Nida
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Mon Oct 29, 2001 7:09 am

You really underestimate the gods if you think they would read a thread regarding the gender breakdown of characters on a mud and the people who play them. The fact that you have taken anything i have said seriously is a sad statement about your personal character. My comments regarding females were purely in jest. The fact that you took them so personaly speaks much more about yourself than my act of posting it does about myself. I cant stand people who assume to tell other people what to say and do. I have no problem argueing a point or having a point argued, but its the worthless people who would be bold to the point as to tell them not to make it to begin with that are the problem. So if you would, allow the moderators of the board to tell us what is and isnt acceptable.
ShaylaRose
Sojourner

Postby ShaylaRose » Mon Oct 29, 2001 7:17 am

ShaylaRose
Sojourner

Postby ShaylaRose » Mon Oct 29, 2001 7:23 am

Zrax! -lol- You contradict yourself Image

How can you make judgement upon people over a simple post on the board calling them sad for taking judgement about what you said? Image

I was on-line joking about this thread in a group with a bunch of boneheads, laughing about this. Image

Besides, isn't the point of Nida's post that flaming might be taken well and you go off again? Image
Nida
Sojourner

Postby Nida » Mon Oct 29, 2001 7:57 am

I apologize if I misinterpreted your earlier posts, Zrax; but you have to admit that they look pretty flamish to someone who's used to seeing people actually denote that they're joking. I'll assume for the sake of warm fuzzies all around that you weren't just saying that after the fact to gain the moral high ground. ^_^

But Shayla's right-- now you're being a bit over the top. ^_^ I'm just sick and tired of seing things degenerate into snotty commentary and bitching about off-topic and unrelated issues just because they have personal hangups and grudges; see any threads containing the words "warrior" and "paladin" for examples. The moderators have been rather lenient, but when the subject matter turns to personal attacks that drag a good topic into oblivion, it really hacks me off. I'd love to see some of these things discussed-- that's how the positive changes to the mud come about. If discussion turns into flame wars, however, everyone just waits for the bitchers to shut up. Liken it, if you will, to a fight in grade school--

"He started it!"
"No, he did!"
"I don't give a damn who started it, both of you go to your rooms."

I know if I were an immortal, I'd be sick of hearing about paladins and liches and illusionists and conjurers on the boards by now. Just trying to prevent that same situation in another good thread that could easily turn sour. I doubt many people would fault me for that. If you choose to take issue with me for my actions, perhaps you yourself could refrain from personal attacks. I don't appreciate being called "worthless", and I would hope that you realize my defense of another person whom I perceived to have been wronged is indeed not "a sad statement" about my personal character.

-Nida
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Mon Oct 29, 2001 8:08 am

Who cares if someone is male or female in RL or in the mud?

/Jegzed
Zen
Sojourner

Postby Zen » Mon Oct 29, 2001 8:09 am

Rofl

I don't understand women, nobody understands women. Group with a guy playing a gal and you can tell soon enough.

-Zen
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Mon Oct 29, 2001 9:36 am

I based Sarell on an old D&D character I had...why female....why not?
Ladak is a big stinky barb...way different to me in RL to...
Come to think, in real life i dont spend 24 hours a day killing things either hehe...
So yah...I just make characters to fit whatever fantasy kinda person i thinking of at the time
Mishre
Sojourner

Postby Mishre » Mon Oct 29, 2001 10:17 am

as far as RPing a Female i don't seem to have any problems.. when im playing a female char most ppl don't even question wether im female or not (i got pretty good at it on a different mud.. there 95% of the 400 or so mud populatoin was male and played male chars, i played a female and i was showered with gear/levels Image.. ive only had a little experience playing 2 female characters on Sojourn, and so far they have been given more gear/help than my male characters.. (typically with my male chars i once in awhile still get a little gear, but rarily receive any sort of real help, i believe this stems from the idea that females suck at playing games of any sort Image so.. with the other advantages females have i think i might have to play more female chars on sojourn...

the question though is, Why are ogre/troll females larger than the male? in some species of animals this occurs.. (usually fish) i think birds too though right? i don't know of any mammals, amphibians, reptiles where this is true though *shrugs*.

male only gear would only make sense.. unless they really want to reward ppl for playing females.. and then we could always put in sycophants? are those the male version of succubi? i can't remember Image to make everything more balanced.. and then males should get a str/con bonus over females (it is a fact(cuz someone of some repute said it was :P ) that the strongest 10% of women are only as strong as the weakest 10% of men).. im serious too.. have you ever tried wrestling or restraining a woman of any size? (yes, i have, and no, i don't abuse females.. atleast not physically :P i just don't like to be slapped around so i try to prevent it Image ive never had any trouble at all.. even with girls that appear to be larger than me.. they are just weaker because of the way their muscle develops.. okay sorry this is so long winded.. just think that if the females have those advantages they should get the disadvantages as well Image
Nida
Sojourner

Postby Nida » Mon Oct 29, 2001 10:49 am

True for the most part on the strength bit-- but remember that that goes for upper body, not abdomen and lower body. If we would stop training our daughters to be sedentary sorority girls, you'd see the difference in any fight you picked with a girl: keep it down to raw power behind well-placed hits, and it's no contest, but let the skirt get a good grip for a throw and grapple, and buddy, you're down for the count. Until she fumbles. ^_^ Also, our center of balance is lower, giving us an agility bonus. Not to mention the dex bonus inherent in our genetic structures. I'd say something about charisma, too, but I prefer to think of that as a personality thing (even though most mammals have a preference for the female than the male as far as just "liking the way it looks"). If you want to go even further-- the flood of hormones that actually changes a developing child from female to male sort of fries most of the connections between the left and right hemispheres of the brain, suggesting that males would 1.) make sucky mages/psis because of the more independent and less finely-tuned actions of the two sides and 2.) make great hitters, because that same independence allows a great deal of dissociation between the chaos of the surrounding battle, including the hits you're taking, and your own responses. It'd be a bit heavy on the code to implement it all here, but perhaps as a nice private experiment... ^_^

I really would like to see some male-only eq. It's not really a huge issue for the mud as a whole, but any little bit of game balancing we can achieve is a good thing. And I don't know about how other races are different in their genders-- are female gnomes smaller, for instance? I would hope that if there's a race in which males are larger, it'd be a race large enough to bash something bigger than a puppy.

-Nida
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Oct 29, 2001 11:24 am

The 10% thing is crap. It might be true of the general, non-gym going population. But there are female body builders out there, female boxers, female wrestlers. I'd bet on Chyna in a fight with Shane McMahon any day for instance! Of course, if you just start comparing couch potatoes then the men will probably come out slightly stronger... but they will still be too flabby and weak to do anything anyways! Image

And no, a sycophant is not a demon. It's a person who hangs around powerful people and being really nice to them, hoping to be rewarded in various ways. Sort of like Smithers on the Simpsons. (Actually being in love with your boss is optional though.)

It wouldn't be that hard probably to implement stat advantages/disadvantages for being male like you were talking about Nida. And advantages/disadvantages for being female... but it would probably be even easier to make a nice spanky human male ranger only sword and put in some mobs htat charm women. Image

Sarvis
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Mon Oct 29, 2001 1:26 pm

i am a man, i play male chars, i will not play a female even tho female trolls are bigger. i do however have a female troll, i rolled her for my story as turxx's mother, to claim the name, i will never play her
and as far a "dude" goes, ive always looked at that as a nongender specific term
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Mon Oct 29, 2001 2:49 pm

long arse thread Image
I rolled a female drow for 4 reasons
1) be the pink slut of UD, Not for free you dont!!!
2)because in alpha there was talk of another city of drow being put in and lots of rumors female only eq
3) duh, DRESSES !! :P
4) I command all male drow to obay me!! Jegzed drop to your.. nm this bbs is public Image
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Oct 29, 2001 3:10 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nida:
^_^ Also, our center of balance is lower, giving us an agility bonus. Not to mention the dex bonus inherent in our genetic structures. I'd say something about charisma, too, but I prefer to think of that as a personality thing (even though most mammals have a preference for the female than the male as far as just "liking the way it looks"). </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All female characters should then have the once-a-month werewolf proc innate, with no cure.

- Ragorn
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Mon Oct 29, 2001 3:19 pm

Shayla,
When you are able to read and corerectly interpet a comment there will be some validity to you informing a person that they contradict themselves, untill then, it will simply be more gibberish. You are just a newbie so i can forgive you.

Nida,
I dont even know what or who you are, and honestly don't care.

The whole point of this thread is this, females who play female characters on the mud are having a hard time getting things free just by being female in real life because of the suspicions raised by the large number of male mudders who play female characters. This is made more evident by the few strong female personalities on the mud who are played by females who really couldnt care less about this thread. This is really a sad statement about the female condition on this mud, with the aforementioned exceptions. *cheer Nitiana and Nugg*

Its sad really.
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Mon Oct 29, 2001 3:36 pm

IMO we shoot for equality of the sexes in RL and we should on the mud. No question that in RL the vast majority of men are bigger/stronger than women. That's not how it is on the mud. Kinda weird that girl trolls are *actually* bigger and that has in-game effects. I don't mind gender-specific EQ, but I don't think that any eq that is best-in-game or even in the top 5 should be gender-specific without at least a counterpart of equal value on the other side.

In response to the women are smarter, faster stuff I'd just say - look at the olympics and then tell me what you think. In any event that has the sexes separated, there is a reason. It is because one sex has an innate advantage.

I think men and women are probably equally dextrous, agile, intelligent, wise, and healthy if they've had the same training and are fully physically mature (prolly about 20 years old?). It may be that women are naturally more charismatic. Men are naturally stronger. Women can make babies (with a little help from a man), nurse them, store fat more efficiently than men, and are innately more social. Men are more innately competitive/aggressive. Women's hip structure interferes with their ability to compete with men in some areas, but makes them better in other areas (I hear when rock climbing women can flatten themselves to the wall better due to this, believe me, that helps!).

Now, none of that means a DAMN thing about what we should do on the mud Image It is our little world and we can mold it like we want it.

How's that for a long post with a short point? Image
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Mon Oct 29, 2001 3:41 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sylvos:
<B>Just a quick note - I blatantly refuse to kill lighthouse elites. Plenty of other good xp mobs. To this date, I have not killed a lighthouse elite with this incarnation of Sylvos. It IS possible vadian Image

Sylvos</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm proud of you, Sylvos! However, I didn't see you say you hadn't slaughtered buffaloes... perhaps you've avoided that sin as well? I think Mielikki would prefer you killed elites Image

Vadian - one of many defenders of WD even though he sometimes slaughters the guards for practice *doh*

[This message has been edited by Vipplin (edited 10-29-2001).]
ShaylaRose
Sojourner

Postby ShaylaRose » Mon Oct 29, 2001 4:02 pm

Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Oct 29, 2001 4:04 pm

Sigh. I'm almost sorry I started it.

The whole point of this thread *was* to point out that in a system that encourages people to roll characters they have no intentions of roleplaying, then the roleplay element of the game, which is what many of us truly enjoy, is being actively discouraged.

It's been bandied about on several threads, this "reality vs. for the sake of the game" issue. This is one of the points where I personally believe we can fudge on the realism of body mechanics for the sake of game play. I don't want proper body mechanics here. I'm twelve credit hours away from a degree in micro-biology with a pre-med emphasis. I've been fascinated with genetics since I was old enough to become fascinated with dinosaurs. I've argued both sides of the fence on the gender vs. gender battleground. At this point in time you will not shake my belief that females ON AVERAGE (please can I stress again, ON AVERAGE) are not physically constructed to be as strong as males, nor can they push themselves to become as strong, or as large.

All of that, however, relates to the human species as we know it. In sojourn we are talking about fantasy, humans, elves, dwarves, trolls, ogres. I don't want proper body mechanics in Sojourn. I don't want to have a period once per game month, especially since all the methods I use to maintain my springtime freshness probably wouldn't exist in this type of world.

What I *WOULD* like is an atmosphere more conducive to roleplay. No, not everybody likes to roleplay, but many of us do. I've found that muds that encourage more roleplay tend to attract and keep a more stable playerbase. Sometimes people stick with main characters for much longer, instead of plowing through name after name after name. It's just my feeling that more roleplay enourages a more tightly knit dynamic between players as they "adventure" together. It's not always about just the numbers, sometimes it's about the imagination.

I could care less what sex somebody is in real life, while I'm in this game. If a guy wants to roleplay a female, more power to them. If a guy wants to roll a female, but has no intention of roleplaying it, more power to them. Same goes for the women who mud and roll male characters. I just think the system as it is discourages roleplaying. One factor of many, I know, just one I noticed.
ShaylaRose
Sojourner

Postby ShaylaRose » Mon Oct 29, 2001 4:13 pm

ShaylaRose
Sojourner

Postby ShaylaRose » Mon Oct 29, 2001 4:26 pm

moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Oct 29, 2001 5:51 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Turxx:
<B>i am a man, i play male chars, i will not play a female even tho female trolls are bigger. i do however have a female troll, i rolled her for my story as turxx's mother, to claim the name, i will never play her
and as far a "dude" goes, ive always looked at that as a nongender specific term</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree Turxx... 'dude' is pretty nongender, unless you think the equivalent is 'babe', which imho is worse and makes my head hurt. I can't picture myself telling groupies 'stone me b4b3.' (as opposed to 'd00d, got stone?')

And Vadian... I guess the reason the females are bigger is that those races are supposedly more "primitive"; in many animal and insect species the females are bigger.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Oct 29, 2001 5:58 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarvis:
<B>That's only in Menzoberranzzan. Actually only followers of Lloth... the other 2 major Drow dieties both allow male priests. Elistrae and... wanna say Valkur but I'm pretty sure that's not it... can't remember his name. Bah! Drow god of thieves... heh.

Sarvis</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Vhaerun actually *prefers* males to be priests. "3nj0y."

Zrax... comf. That's the penalty for not being PC/conformist. Hmm... maybe we should have background images that say "HUMOR" when people post teasing replies.

Zazure et al... You know we love ya. Image

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”