Petition for Orc Antipaladins

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Jegzed
Sojourner

Petition for Orc Antipaladins

Postby Jegzed » Tue Oct 23, 2001 12:45 pm

Give us this race/class combo, JUST to stop the good vs evil bashing on tanks, and to give us another option besides warriors on the evilside.

/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Tue Oct 23, 2001 1:07 pm

I agree.

-Todrael
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Tue Oct 23, 2001 1:17 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Todrael:
<B>I agree.

-Todrael</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'd rather see warriors tank better, i've seen a lot of RP sacrificed lately in lieu of 'balance' issues and it kinda sucks. ie: anti's/pallys/rangers/necros grouping together..boggle..

i'd REALLY rather see warriors get some bones since they've been getting screwed from day 1 since pallys got modified.

or even the outcast system, but unfortunately it seems they don't care to implement it again Image
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Tue Oct 23, 2001 1:36 pm

Here's my version of this idea:

Since goodie warriors seem to think everything is fine, upgrade evil warriors' shieldblock/dodge.

Secondly, give evils back mercenaries. Keep those antis but let us have the most fun class ever back.
Glaman
Sojourner

Postby Glaman » Tue Oct 23, 2001 1:50 pm

I would love to have a mercenarcy. I was hoping to play one this wipe but i forgot that they got axed before the previous wipe. Oh well. Ill keep playing my warrior unless they put mercs in.

Glaman Empty Head.
Astansus
Sojourner

Postby Astansus » Tue Oct 23, 2001 2:53 pm

You know troll/ogre mercs can't backstab right? The reason was 'rp'. It never got more specified then that.

Cheers
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Oct 23, 2001 3:10 pm

I could see duergar mercs.. probably would be a pain to add mercs back in though.

I think it would be cool to allow orc antis.
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Tue Oct 23, 2001 3:30 pm

I don't have strong feelings about it, but I think orc antis would be pretty cool. They should ride Wargs!

Vadian
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Tue Oct 23, 2001 3:46 pm

orc anti's would be a helluva lot of fun!

i vote orc anti's!
thrankon
Sojourner

Postby thrankon » Tue Oct 23, 2001 4:02 pm

Be nice to see something along those lines..
maybe call them WORG RAIDERS or something and give them a combination of ranger/anti skills or something along those lines..
antis that can use a bow like a ranger type thing.. just b cool to see the archery code useable by the evil side other then throwing weapons for rogues.

thran
Baikalisan
Sojourner

Postby Baikalisan » Tue Oct 23, 2001 4:14 pm

Hell yah i think ya should put in orc anti-paladins... Its been a long time since evils have had a choice as to what their tanks are going to be.... and i think it's time again !! Maybe it'll put some life back into the game for some...
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Tue Oct 23, 2001 4:27 pm

Orcs should get anti and, if it was in, mercenaries. They'd just suck at the praying is all. Seems pretty simple.

Izzy
Tanras
Sojourner

Postby Tanras » Tue Oct 23, 2001 6:00 pm

Maybe I'm just an old school ad&d fan, but orc antipaladins just seems wrong to me in a Forgotten Realms setting. I know nothing of 3rd edition rules, but I always thought antis/paladins were human only. It was one of the main reasons to be a human Image
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Oct 23, 2001 7:03 pm

Myconid! and githzerai!

*duck*
Nassis
Sojourner

Postby Nassis » Tue Oct 23, 2001 8:05 pm

Wouldn't yuan a-p make more sense than orc?
Orc is shaman race, and yuans are very religous...
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Oct 23, 2001 11:48 pm

A yuanti antipaladin misses a kick at your groin, you breathe a sigh of relief... no wait...
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Wed Oct 24, 2001 2:54 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nassis:
<B>Wouldn't yuan a-p make more sense than orc?
Orc is shaman race, and yuans are very religous...</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

aside from the fact that you wouldn't see any mounted yuan-ti paladins...they'd all keep slipping off their mounts or constricting them unintentionally.

------------------
·Kuurg·
Kalthanan
Sojourner

Postby Kalthanan » Wed Oct 24, 2001 5:36 am

Ugh! I hafta agree with Tanras, only humans should be AP's.. bringing back the Mercenary class would be cool though, always had fun with that class Image

Even better would be if AP's were allowed to group with evilrace again *cackle*

[This message has been edited by Kalthanan (edited 10-24-2001).]
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Wed Oct 24, 2001 7:51 am

Im all for orc antis. Would shut us evils up good. *rolls his eyes*
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Oct 24, 2001 9:23 am

I don't want anti's on the evil side. I'd rather have something new or nothin at all.

Evils dont need a copy of everything goods have, give us some diversity. Orcs would make rad antis, snakes would be more appropriate in my opinion.

Something entirely different and should have no bearing on the above discussion... Don't we have enough warriors as it is? I hate doing a who list and seeing 50% of the folks are warriors (only on the evil side). Sometimes its 8 warriors one random caster. Everytime I do exp, 3 or 4 warriors logon and ask if they can join?! Before a zone group forms there are 4 or 5 40+ warriors, after theres like 8-10. They obviously playing alts or anon and probably pissed off and bored as fuk because there are so many warriors. I suppose some of the warriors will roll up new antis, but some of the casters going to do the same. Then were going to have another drain on warrior eq as folks twink their new secondaries. Worlds not falling, we got enough melee as it is.

I propose we think of something new and unique to do rather than imp orc antis. What I dont know, possibly a race specific specialize for warriors maybe lighter races could specialize in mounted combat (to improve their tanking ability, they would still use a shield) and heavier races could specialize in 2h weapons (with no changes to how well they would tank 2hd). Maybe this could be done first for evils and extended later to benefit other poor tanking races like elves, halflings, ect.

I don't know. Imping antis would be fine, just my opinion.
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Wed Oct 24, 2001 9:26 am

if the paladin class, anti or regular, is the best tank in the game, i'd like evils to have them too.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Oct 24, 2001 10:02 am

Seeing as the average time for new class implementation on this mud is about two years, I wouldn't start pushing for more classes.

- Ragorn
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Wed Oct 24, 2001 12:11 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ragorn:
<B>Seeing as the average time for new class implementation on this mud is about two years, I wouldn't start pushing for more classes.

- Ragorn</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFL Ragorn!

As I said in my previous post, I don't have strong feelings either way, and lean towards letting evils have antipallys, BUT NOT because 'they are the best tanks so evils need them too'.

Ogres are the best bashers and I don't want to see goodie ogres anytime soon. I don't see goodies getting any troll regen powers soon. The two sides DO NOT need to be perfectly symmetrical, so long as there is a rough balance of what they can accomplish. Evils do 'A' easier, Goodies do 'B' easier. If anything, it should be harder for the evils because they like to take pride in the challenge of being evil.

That's just the way I see it. Everyone has (and is entitled to) their own vision of the mud.

I don't know if the gods are seriously considering giving antipallys to the evil side, but if they do, although orcs riding worgs sounds cool to me, another option would be to allow human antipallys to actually choose to go evilrace when rolling their char. Stick them in Hyssk for a hometown to make it really suck, though! *grin*

Vadian

[This message has been edited by Vipplin (edited 10-24-2001).]
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Wed Oct 24, 2001 7:32 pm

I dont give a shit what's done.

I want the game to be fun again, like it used to be.

It's no a game anymore, it's a chore.

and i had to play chanter AND warrior this wipe. cripes. shoulda just played druid
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Oct 29, 2001 5:43 pm

Heh, Grintor, if you play druid, get used to being passed over a *lot* at midlevels because the group doesn't want to be stuck doing nature zones. Druids are feeeeeeeeeble outside of nature areas...
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Tue Oct 30, 2001 3:06 am

Oh yeah forgot the argument 'only humans should be paladins/anti's' is not valid on this game since....

paladins shouldnt group with necros
paladins shouldnt group with anti's
anti's shouldnt group with paladins
paladins shouldnt group with evil
paladins shouldnt group with undead
druids shouldnt kill buffalos
rangers shouldnt kill buffalos
drow shouldnt group with anybody
elves shouldnt leave leuthilspur

what pertains to the written AD&D forgotten realms has never been taken verbatim here. be glad it doesnt or the game would be less fun.
Asog
Sojourner

Postby Asog » Thu Nov 01, 2001 4:41 pm

I have been playing here a long long long time. I played my Evil Barb Warrior forever. This time around I finally wised up and went evil-race. 1st I am definitely for an orc anti-paladin If Orcs were implemented to give evilrace a human -standard- race, then why not? 2nd I would Love to see Mercs come back, definitely most fun class ever imho. Lastly When you thin of evilrace ... what do we have that does damage in the warrior genre? certainly not warriors plinking away with our lil 1handers, guess it's up to the rogues. Not everyone who wants to be a hitter wants to play rogue. I REALLY WISH they would Implement a RAnger-ish equivalent for DROW. I.e. Drow Scout that's all I got to say.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Fri Nov 02, 2001 8:46 am

Orc Antipaladins were discussed way back in pre-Alpha by the dev team and we decided not to go that route, partially for the reasons listed by Tanras and Kalthanan above.

There is somethign else in store for evils, but you'll just have to be patient for now.

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Fri Nov 02, 2001 8:50 am

*gasps* *falls over, convulsing*
*is reduced to insane giggles*
Information! yay and stuff.

*puts his brain in a Time Capsule so that he might one day see this advancement*

-Todrael, tired.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Fri Nov 02, 2001 9:18 pm

Drow don't use bows (well, ones that live on the surface are a different case, but once Menzo goes in . . .) due to trees suitable for bows not growing in the Underdark. I think a yuan-ti scout/raider class would be more interesting. After all, who isn't pissed or frustrated by those yuan-ti raiders when they visit GC for their very first time Image And I guess orcs would work well too, but the snakes would make it more stylish.
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Fri Nov 02, 2001 9:26 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Treladian:
Drow don't use bows (well, ones that live on the surface are a different case, but once Menzo goes in . . .) due to trees suitable for bows not growing in the Underdark. </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Drow use crossbows.

------------------
·Kuurg·
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Sat Nov 03, 2001 1:59 am

ogres do insane damage

go fight krolb in arena
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Sun Nov 04, 2001 12:29 am

I know about the crossbow thing, but pretty much all the bows in the game are long/shortbows. Actually, ALL of them now that I think about it. Even the drow archers in DK used longbows IIRC, though DK isn't representative of the majority of drow. Adding in a 3rd type of ranged combat that wouldn't function any different from archery is redundant and would also require area makers to get involved by adding crossbows and quarrels to shops and mobs. Plus, snakes could use something more than drow I think.

[This message has been edited by Treladian (edited 11-03-2001).]
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sun Nov 04, 2001 12:30 am

I wouldn't consider drow crossbows bows anyway. They aren't meant for doing damage, just for delivering poison. When you get hit by one it feels more like getting stung by an insect than being shot by an arrow... heh.

Sarvis
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Sun Nov 04, 2001 2:15 am

P.s. Krolb does lots of damage, mainly cause he has a huge damroll, but coupled with a 7% crit is good. I bet you, a ogre with the same damroll as you actually wouldnt do nearly as much as krolb.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Sun Nov 04, 2001 2:31 am

Warriors are gear based. Dwarves do insane damage. Go fight Folur in the arena.

-Todrael

[This message has been edited by Todrael (edited 11-03-2001).]
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Nov 08, 2001 6:09 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Grintor:
<B>Oh yeah forgot the argument 'only humans should be paladins/anti's' is not valid on this game since....

paladins shouldnt group with necros
paladins shouldnt group with anti's
anti's shouldnt group with paladins
paladins shouldnt group with evil
paladins shouldnt group with undead
druids shouldnt kill buffalos
rangers shouldnt kill buffalos
drow shouldnt group with anybody
elves shouldnt leave leuthilspur

what pertains to the written AD&D forgotten realms has never been taken verbatim here. be glad it doesnt or the game would be less fun.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I for one never understood why they took out the restrictions.

And I'd be happy to be restricted from killing animals (gain no exp or lose some) if druids could charm animals, survive indefinitely on any plane, and summon paraelementals Image
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Nov 08, 2001 6:22 pm

Ok, but you can't advance past 14th level unless you kill the Druid ahead of you Image

- Ragorn
Iaiken Toransier
Sojourner

Postby Iaiken Toransier » Fri Nov 09, 2001 3:40 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shevarash:
There is somethign else in store for evils, but you'll just have to be patient for now.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn, does this mean that I will have to get around to making a zone to find out what you "have in store?"

Might be faster I think...

Iaiken Toransier, Paladin of Torm
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Fri Nov 09, 2001 5:10 am

Elves can leave Leuthilspar? Doh
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Nov 13, 2001 7:52 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ragorn:
<B>Ok, but you can't advance past 14th level unless you kill the Druid ahead of you Image

- Ragorn</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

nuh-uh, I just have to win ritual combat! Image And hey, I soloed a 15 mob at 14... I think.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Nov 14, 2001 2:05 am

oof the restrictions major suxord. it made playing paladins and rangers almost pointless because they couldnt zone or exp since nearly every group had evil folks.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:23 am

In my experience it sucked more for the evil folks. Pretty much every good race character was also good alignment, except for those that had no choice in the matter.

Anyhow, we simply decided to let you choose how to roleplay your character instead of forcing it.

If you want to be the kind of Paladin that is willing to overlook accompanying evil in pursuit of the greater good, you're free to.

Conversely, if you want to roleplay a strict Paladin who abhors working with evil of any sort, you can do that as well.

We just provide the sandbox, you play with it the way you want. Image

------------------
</B>
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Wed Nov 14, 2001 11:49 am

that be the case shev bring back the outcast system
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Wed Nov 14, 2001 7:59 pm

I knew someone would say that. Image

Theh outcast system was just way too much of a hassle.

------------------
</B>
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Nov 16, 2001 5:48 pm

nog shev Image

I had a friend who RP'd oc... he refused to associate with those who could enter wD. Was funny.
Iltavera
Sojourner

Postby Iltavera » Fri Nov 16, 2001 5:57 pm

If people want to be outcasted so bad, why not leave the system in, and if someone wants to be OC'd, they can ask, otherwise just don't enforce it?
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Nov 16, 2001 6:24 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Iltavera:
If people want to be outcasted so bad, why not leave the system in, and if someone wants to be OC'd, they can ask, otherwise just don't enforce it?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

nog, make them require an RP story for it, though, that way you cut down on the load of applicants.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Nov 19, 2001 5:55 pm

OK evidently noone is still reading this... Il, wanna post your good OC idea as a separate thread? Heh, plz? Image

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 19, 2001 7:05 pm

The outcast system was an administrative nightmare, and it ended up being more goodies in evil groups that evils. If you want to group with evils, play an evil. Don't wimp out and say you want to be outcasted.

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”