Skellies and Fire Spirits oh my!

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
kiryan
Sojourner

Skellies and Fire Spirits oh my!

Postby kiryan » Thu Oct 04, 2001 11:56 am

Skellies are an awesome place to practice. Im sure all high level warriors been there a few times. Some of you also know that part of a quest exists in the vicinity.

For those that know this quest, please be informed that when you walk by someone practicing and try to twink the quest (meaning dont fight and kill the fire spirits), you are very likely going to kill whomever is practicing (at least give them warning and actually you should wait till they leave before you try and twink it). Effectively I think it is PK, please have some consideration and dont do it.

gods... would be interesting to get some statistics and find out which players have been killed by the fire spirit. You can pretty much assume all the melee types that died to it are consequential deaths and had nothing to do with the fire spirits and were probably innocent bystanders (by the way if anyone has legitimately killed the fire spirits to do the quest please post how many times and when). Where im going is that maybe we could change the quest or do something to eliminate the twinking or the innocent deaths. Seems to me that the spirits didnt used to track. If you thought making them track eliminates twinking i think it hasnt and only added risk to bystanders. Its a decent item, and can be done by a group of one, but i think often gets others killed. I realize we can just chalk it up as the hazards of practicing at skeletons, but it kinda suxors.

Anyhow thats what i have to say, interested in what others have to say.
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Thu Oct 04, 2001 12:38 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
<B>Skellies are an awesome place to practice. Im sure all high level warriors been there a few times. Some of you also know that part of a quest exists in the vicinity.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hrm.. As much as I like practicing rescue, I don't think it really makes sense to ask to move the fire spirits to make it easier to rescue, its kinda like asking to make a mob easier so you can kill it and get loot/xp.

I think the argument could be posed of what's more important, the quest or the rescue practice. A warning of course would be the best way to go, but I'm sure plenty of people robot, or just pound macros not even watching whats going on.

IMO i think its up to the person practicing to be at keyboard to heed the warning and get out when someone wants to do the quest, and up to the questor to give a warning.

E
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Thu Oct 04, 2001 2:46 pm

I'm pretty sure a person practicing skills had damn well better be at the keyboard, or else they could be considered a bot!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ensis:
<B>IMO i think its up to the person practicing to be at keyboard to heed the warning and get out when someone wants to do the quest, and up to the questor to give a warning.

E</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Nokie 'No you don't!! That belongs to me!' Quickfingers
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Thu Oct 04, 2001 2:50 pm

Practice there at your own risk, that is a lame spot anyway in my opinion.
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Thu Oct 04, 2001 3:20 pm

It's not lame. it can be extremely dangerous as it can be near impossible to flee out if you start getting beat down.

i do recommend you not do it alone. bring a buddy to do rescue, sp, switch, hitall practice with.

what would your alternative be zrax? go into low level zones and take on whole rooms of stuff that gives others xp? THAT's twinky shit, and the existence of the skellie room helps to prevent this.
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Thu Oct 04, 2001 3:31 pm

I think its obvious by my one line post that I was advocating whiping out entire newbie zones. All of my important skills are maxxed or near maxxed and i havnt destroyed any newbie zones or run any bots in skeletons, it is not hard to do with even a tiny bit of imagination or perserverence.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu Oct 04, 2001 7:50 pm

I can remember more then a few instances when i've had to purge fire spirits from near turning point when some VERY lame goodie lets it track them all the way to the newbie zone and rents. This kind of playing is very weak sauce indeed. If the mob is global track, just don't cheese it by running past...its complete cowardice.

3nj0y because I am l33t and you are not Image
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Thu Oct 04, 2001 10:04 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
<B>Skellies are an awesome place to practice. Im sure all high level warriors been there a few times. Some of you also know that part of a quest exists in the vicinity.

For those that know this quest, please be informed that when you walk by someone practicing and try to twink the quest (meaning dont fight and kill the fire spirits), you are very likely going to kill whomever is practicing (at least give them warning and actually you should wait till they leave before you try and twink it). Effectively I think it is PK, please have some consideration and dont do it.

gods... would be interesting to get some statistics and find out which players have been killed by the fire spirit. You can pretty much assume all the melee types that died to it are consequential deaths and had nothing to do with the fire spirits and were probably innocent bystanders (by the way if anyone has legitimately killed the fire spirits to do the quest please post how many times and when). Where im going is that maybe we could change the quest or do something to eliminate the twinking or the innocent deaths. Seems to me that the spirits didnt used to track. If you thought making them track eliminates twinking i think it hasnt and only added risk to bystanders. Its a decent item, and can be done by a group of one, but i think often gets others killed. I realize we can just chalk it up as the hazards of practicing at skeletons, but it kinda suxors.

Anyhow thats what i have to say, interested in what others have to say.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those spirits have tracked for as long as I can remember (the last 3 player wipes for sure). It is lame to drag the spirits onto people. There will be situations that come up where a group is already in the zone, and they're not going to know when someone shows up to do the skellies.

Certainly if you see someone either in the skellies room or just outside, you should warn them before you go in.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Oct 05, 2001 7:33 am

I was at the keys, not botting. Between skellis tripping you and having to run a very long way to get out of their track radius they are all but impossible for melee classes to survive. A worder can easily escape, not sure who else can. Not only that, the spirits get tracked all sorts of far off places.

In response to the quest being more important. Im not opposed to someone doing the quest, just dont make me an innocent victim. Do it legit, kill the spirits. I didnt advocate moving the spirits either, i suggested maybe removing track, or make it untwinkable such as forcing you to kill the spirit somehow.

To each their own, eq is not the only reason to play the game, and to say that eq is more important than someone elses pursuit like skill practice i think is narrow minded and inconsiderate.

I raised this topic to see if im the only one that thinks we could use some improvement to the mechanics here and or discussion to protocol for this event. Ive gotten one response that eq is more important, and several that i shouldnt be botting (i wasnt). One saying practice at your own risk (theres a difference between at your own risk and being slayed). and one saying its a lame spot to practice (its an awesome place cept you get killed rarely).
Xyd
Sojourner

Postby Xyd » Fri Oct 05, 2001 2:33 pm

Between skellis tripping you and having to run a very long way to get out of their track radius they are all but impossible for melee classes to survive </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Umm.... skellies don't track. They trip, yes, but certainly not impossible to flee.

A worder can easily escape, not sure who else can. </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A worder has no better chance than a warrior -- the room is !magic.

As far as the "mechanics" go, I don't see any problem with it. The skellies are not intentionally put there as a practice room, they are there to protect the entry. There are several rooms on mud similar to the skellies and I would hate to see them intentionally modified for the purpose of practicing skills.

As far as engagement protocol, I don't think this is any different than other areas on the mud where you could be fighting and someone drags <insert favorite tracker here> through where you are fighting. If you're on skellies and you see someone walk through, then you need to decide whether you want to stick around for the potential death or get out while the getting is good.

.xyd
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Oct 05, 2001 3:02 pm

Oh no! An element of danger in another otherwise COMPLETELY FUCKING TWINKED OUT room! I don't mean to be condescending, but come on. They can't hit -100AC, they can't be hit without a magic weapon. Not only is there no risk, but you don't even have to move.

Seriously.. there are plenty of places to max your skills. Lord knows there are enough zones that used to be exp zones that got nerfed beyond use (split shield comes to mind). There are even other mobs you can use for the same purpose (spirit mastiff). And horror of horrors, you can max your skills without tedious practice. It just comes later. Ragorn's skills were maxed, and I don't even know where skellies are.

- Ragorn
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Fri Oct 05, 2001 5:15 pm

how many times have u been in a group and folks telling the warrior w/ sucky skills to go to skel. the point is people know skel is a good place for skill prac. if u think this is twink dont go there. but think most people would agree it's a good practice ground. 2 reiterate, its like telling folks not to go kill stuff in ako to do alignment cuz it's twinky and there are place that u can do alignment if u were just more resourceful.

i think the point kiryan was trying to make is that people need to be more considerate of others and not pk them, either intentionally or unintentionally.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Oct 06, 2001 4:49 am

yo xyd. i didnt say skellies tracked. fire spirits track and track through the room (handing me my ass on their way through).

People who twink this shit go through the skellies invis, if they get tagged by a spirit they flee and word in a different room. Then some point later the spirits come tracking them out thorugh the skellies.

As far as protocol, not everyone cares to inform the practicer of his impending death. Thats cruel, i think its pk. One shaman that did it was nice enough to tell me when he went to do the quest. By the time i was through my skill lag, and he was uninvis, he had already gotten hit and worded. I had to leave. So because someone else wanted to do something, I had to stop practicing my skills at skellies (do i need to mention how fuking long the walk was?). Not only that, When im practicing i have the screen in the background while im doing things like posting (like right now). if i look away for one sec, i might miss the tell in all the battle spam. Dont be so narrow minded bud.

Ragorn, yea its a twinked out room. So is fighting wraith form mobs that cant hit you with nonmagic weapons. BTW skeletons can be hit by non magic weapons, can hit -100 ac though a level 40 will probably never die fighting them (a level 35 could). The attractiveness is that they can be shieldpunched or bashed. When you kill one, it splits into 2 new skeletons (so you can fight a long long time). Also a lot of mobs mean a lot of dodges, parries, ripostes, shieldblocks. For defensive skills and switch or rescue i know of no better place to practice. Swarmfish are not bad but die to quickly. Wraith forms are good for weapon practice, the defensive skills would take a long time to work on a wraithform mob.

And its the pk that bothers me. I dont care if people twink or not. The tracking only within the zone basically makes it twinkable by worders only, and creates innocent victims. If the firespirits were under waterdeep and came tracking up through wd slaying folks id bet it get changed quick. I say get rid of the tracking on them or make it !twink.
Lyt
Sojourner

Postby Lyt » Sat Oct 06, 2001 6:08 am

I remember last wipe the deadly sharn from UM kept getting lead out and smoking people in WD. It was always fun. Same with the displacer beast at turning point. Mobs that track out of area are fun.
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Sat Oct 06, 2001 8:38 am

I totaly agree Lyt... global trackers are fun. I remember last wipe the paladin at the gates of DK every so often. Just added some flavor and excitement that doesn't exist in that form anymore. I'd like to see global track and relocating mobs returned... but with whining like this (and there have been quite a few).. it's not likely to happen. Maybe everyone should just whine about dying.. and have that taken out of the game too. Lets just take out all dangerous situations where you could possibly die if you make a mistake and make the game truely boring.. bah.

-Jaznolg
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Oct 06, 2001 12:49 pm

other ways to make this game fun besides being randomly killed or killed because someone else is greedy. I dont particularly like the paladins and evil race agros, but they dont seem to be such bad asses and you have a reasonable chance of getting away from most of them without dieing (lower level you are more likely you will die). Fire spririt tags someone, they are basically dead, very dead if they are melee.

I dont mind dieing, but I like to choose when I might get killed. Some people bitch when they get killed in zone groups exp groups or exploring. Dont think Ive ever done that. Ive only turned down a couple groups because I didnt want to risk dieing, but most of the time im up for a death or two. In recent memory I can remember getting my ass kicked by Newt (multiple times) and the beast not to mention a couple of 3+ death days (thanks Yssilk/Zipalodok/Baldorak). I dont however like getting killed because someone is a greedy prick or just being mean. Im a lot more forgiving for accidents and just didnt knows.

This is not a whine, and im not some child that cant handle a setback or a death. Its a hey i dont think this is right, lets consider it for change.

I bet if I tracked fire spirit to turning point or road crossing every boot or archivist/malice to spine or used other tracking mobs to pk folks, gods would punish me quick. How much shit would hit the fan if i tried to do something like twink fireweed, ran into kostichie, tracked him into a group standing at 1e then worded.

Well, I think ive exhausted this topic. Im basically of the opinion that there isnt much that could be done unless you remove track from all mobs and that would be dumb. So, guess we shouldnt do anything (unless you want to make hunting mobs be not agro when they are hunting or returning to spawn point).

You folks twinking the quest, if someone is there before you, get permission to go do the quest. Dont be an ahole and endanger them, wait them out (if they are afk, keep waiting till you get a response, if the wait is too long, in your opinion, go do something else). Their pursuit of happiness is every bit as important as yours.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sun Oct 07, 2001 8:56 pm

Not only that, When im practicing i have the screen in the background while im doing things like posting (like right now). if i look away for one sec, i might miss the tell in all the battle spam. Dont be so narrow minded bud.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This could easily be considered botting. If you die because you have a bash trigger running and you're off reading a website... well, I'm sorry but I don't really feel too bad for ya. Assist triggers are considered botting, and I assume that goes for bash and rescue triggers too if you aren't at keys.

I agree that people who are questing should give you a heads-up if you're going to practice. But my point is... questing takes priority over level 40s beating on level 30 mobs for hours. They do have a right to be there, and if you're unhappy with the way things work out when you're there, you have options. People are not always going to be considerate toward each other. In the end it's easier to just find a new practice spot than generate 75 responses to a board post and die tomorrow anyway because someone didn't read it.

- Ragorn

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 07, 2001 10:51 pm

Not only that, When im practicing i have the screen in the background while im doing things like posting (like right now). if i look away for one sec, i might miss the tell in all the battle spam. Dont be so narrow minded bud.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fighting mobs while not watching, using triggers to automatically bash, shieldpunch, kill 1.skeleton, whatever... that's the definition of botting. And considering the fact that your character is getting an advantage from doing this, it is definitely botting in violation of the rules.
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Sun Oct 07, 2001 10:55 pm

I thought bots were defined as when another char can control the action of your character. For instance, someone else telling you to bash, etc. I coulda sworn this was said elsewhere on one of these boards.
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Sun Oct 07, 2001 11:22 pm

I've always loved this room, but i've never practiced it alone. i mean where's the fun in that?

i prefer to bring another warrior, maybe two. if i dont know you this a good way to see if you a half decent warrior or not.

i've actually used this room to build comraderie with other warriors since we can be there for hours at a time and if you are not paying attentin you will die, it's not an if.

dont change it. just cause a small handful robot dont punish the rest of us.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Oct 08, 2001 12:54 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by izarek:
I thought bots were defined as when another char can control the action of your character. For instance, someone else telling you to bash, etc. I coulda sworn this was said elsewhere on one of these boards.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope. Bots are when a computer is controlling a character instead of a player. On one mud a friend of mine wrote a script that would run his character through a predefined path just killing everything, and would leave it running for hours while he was at school. It was a much easier mud than sojourn though... heh.

Sarvis

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 08, 2001 1:42 am

<B>ROBOTS ACTIONS

A robot is a character that can run independently by triggers and/or
actions through a client such as Tin-Tin. Actions are allowed on
Sojourn for such things as eating, drinking, retrieving weapons,
and looting corpses. However, if you can leave the keyboard for an
extended amount of time and continue to play (including selling items),
chances are you are running a robot.

The above includes, but is it not limited to, triggers that allow you
to auto-attack mobs, casting spells and remem/repraying to improve skills,
triggers that are used to "sell" items (ie., you send a tell and they
send a list of items for sale), triggers that send a tell to every
one that is visible on the MUD, etc. </B>

That's what you see if you type help robot. FYI.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Oct 09, 2001 5:35 am

blah. Its really funny to see all ya folks jumping down my ass for what you think is a bot rather than responding to the topic.

The point is tracking spirits out on innocent folks getts them killed, and is pk in my opinion. my other point is that I think someone practicing has as much right to do so as you do to twink the quest (if you wanna kill it legit i have no problem).

Ragorn i totally disagree with you that eq has priority (ill point out jot exp group gets all of jot zone even if they have no intention of doing any of the eq). Yes its easy to find another place to prac (and i do practice other places). If i told some twinker that he couldnt do the quest because i was practicing id be a big dork. On the flipside, if you give no warning and go through skeletons invis thats just mean and I call it pkill.

On botting:
if you wanna make me a posterchild for botting go ahead, but ive got zmud open enough that i can see the text scrolling bye while im reading posting working whatever and im at the keys enough to intervene when necessary. That is botting about as much as watching tv or studying is.

#1000 {get weapon;wield weapon;shieldpunch} cares to my needs just fine if i wanna avoid triggers. So does doing nothing at all simply tanking and using weapons gets me most of my skills. If i get in a jam disconnect reconnect solves that problem.

Truthfully, I use a lot of triggers because i dont like having to intently concentrate on the screen to catch one line as 20 zoom by. It also lets me mud while im programming. if some admin god wants to review my zmud setup or in game play and tell me that all bash triggers, assist triggers, shieldpunch triggers, rescue triggers, ect are robots and will are a violation of rules and will get me deleted then ill quit using them. I dont think they are, and I dont think the mud administration is interested in doing that.

and i want to repeat that i didnt die to fire spirits because i wasnt at the keys or botting. you guys keep attacking me like im some sort of botting twink thats whining about dieing, your missing the point. and i actually fled out of the skeletons both times i got fire spirits tracked on me, but those fuckers hit hard and track far and skeletons trip/prevent you from fleeing. if you dont know, go try and tank one without stone and youll understand those spirits make about 6 or 7 rounds of work on 600 hps at -100 ac with level 41 warrior defensive skills.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Oct 09, 2001 6:48 pm

I'm sorry, I think you're complaining about something that won't change. If someone started a thread about how assist triggers were lame, would you stop using yours? Probably not. I totally agree with you, people should be courteous. But when it's a choice between hauling ass out of the zone, or trying to type out a warning tell and getting caught by the spirit.. guess which one people choose.

- Ragorn
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Oct 11, 2001 1:46 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gormal:
<B>I can remember more then a few instances when i've had to purge fire spirits from near turning point when some VERY lame goodie lets it track them all the way to the newbie zone and rents. This kind of playing is very weak sauce indeed. If the mob is global track, just don't cheese it by running past...its complete cowardice.

3nj0y because I am l33t and you are not Image</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha, noone did that the day I died 3x. (I ran into two, splat. Was told they were done and dealt with, went to cr, splat. went to doubleCR and some other agro like db showed up further along the path to SS.) Heh.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Oct 11, 2001 1:49 am

<B>yo xyd. i didnt say skellies tracked. fire spirits track and track through the room (handing me my ass on their way through).

People who twink this shit go through the skellies invis, if they get tagged by a spirit they flee and word in a different room. Then some point later the spirits come tracking them out thorugh the skellies.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*hi5* said with style. I always thought it was wacked (me and Gibbibbly posted a ton of times on this) that skeles couldn't di. Has that been updated? I heard they were going to do so and make them di.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Dec 14, 2001 2:24 am

I was practicing shieldpunch, which takes about 1 hour of straight shieldpunching to notch 1-2 trimes. I saw someone open the secret. so i quit out to clear my command queue and reconnect.

Reconnecting.
< 729h/731H 133v/159V >
< T: Caz TC: few scratches E: skeleton EC: awful> flee
gsay The skeleton is Awful!
But you are a member of no group?!
< 731h/731H 133v/159V >
< T: Caz TC: excellent E: skeleton EC: awful> Stairs
Exits: -S -W
You flee eastward!
< 731h/731H 132v/159V >
<>

You shout 'stay out'
< 731h/731H 129v/159V >
You petition 'i think someone trying to pk me'

>ok, so maybe that petition is stretching the truth quite a bit, but i feel very strongly that walking past skeletons while someone is in there is pretty damn close to pk.

Someone raises his eyebrow at you. he must think your up to something.
You say 'why you open the secret'
< 731h/731H 130v/159V >
<>
Kiaransalee responds to your petition with 'why do you say that?'
Someone hisses 'because there's a book in there I want dude'
You petition 'im practicing skeletons and someone openend the secret'
You petition 'thats nearly guaraneed pk.'
You say 'im practicing skeletons'
You say 'if you do the book im going to get nailed.'
You say 'and you didnt even say shit to me.'
Someone hisses 'no you won't'
Someone hisses 'I am not attacking the spirits'
You say 'yes i will when you come'
You say 'back they will track your ass'
Someone hisses 'gonna sneak by when they out of the way'
Kiaransalee responds to your petition with 'I doubt it's guarenteed pk, there are other reasons to be back there'
You say 'and kick my ass'
Someone hisses 'no you won't'
Someone hisses 'listen to me'
<> You petition 'yea but its pretty much pk.'
If you do not get a response, it's because the staff are busy or unavailable.
Someone hisses 'I am not fighting them'
You say 'you guarantee it?'
You say 'nod'
Someone hisses 'I am walking by'
You say 'but if they hit you'
You say 'im fucked'
You petition 'ok hes talking to me.'
If you do not get a response, it's because the staff are busy or unavailable.
Someone hisses 'they in the way now anyway so I'm waiting it out'
You petition 'but if ididnt notice him open teh secret id probably be dead in a few minutes'
You say 'you need to wait till im done.'
You say 'i was here first'
You say 'unless you want to guarantee it.'
You say 'im not interested in dieing so you can do your quest.'
Someone hisses 'look you won't die'
You say 'guarantee it.'
You say 'and i expect compensation if i die to them.'
Someone hisses 'how can I guarantee it, skellis might trip you and crit you 10 times'
You say 'if the fire sprit agros me, i will die.'
You say 'thats plain and simple'
You say 'i can live about 4 rounds against one.'
You say 'they crit fuking hard.'
You say 'and track'
You say 'and are shielded.'
Someone hisses 'well I'm going to take another look'
You say 'if one comes tracking out and agros me whether im standing at stairs or fighting skellies im fucked'
You say 'who are you.'
You petition 'this guy is insisting on interrupting me. i would like some help'
You shout 'who are you.'
You tell Kiaransalee 'i know about the quest, but he didnt warn me and if a fire spirit hits me im fucked. those bastards track and will come out tracking him at some other point if he gets hit. he walked right past me and didnt warn me of the danger or anything.'
You tell Kiaransalee 'and he wont even name himself'

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
[43 Rog] Kiros Stormfist (Dwarf)
[50 Rog] Nokie Quickfingers, Locksmith - Darkstorm Rising (Halfling) (RP)
[49 Rog] Lonel (Halfling)
[47 Rog] Ashiwi Autumnmoon (Grey Elf) (RP)
Listing of the Staff
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
[ Coder ] Valkur God of Sailors and The Sea
[ Co-Ord Admin ] Kiaransalee Drow Goddess of Undead and Vengeance

Listing of the Mortals!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
[ 1 Rog] Essine (Yuan-Ti)
[ 3 Rog] Balrek (Drow Elf)

I wait another 30 minutes, no response from anyone. I start writing this post.

Im still writing this post 30 minutes later...

Someone hisses 'I'm done with quest btw'
You say 'you get tagged?'

Thank you for letting me know when you were done, but.... FUCK YOU you self centered dick head. I shouldnt have had to wait an hour for your ass when I was there first.

I spent 30 minutes walking to skeletons to practice, and you walk up to twink the book quest and i have to pick my ass for an hour not even knowing whether your coming back or what.

You didnt say shit to me before I shouted, you wouldnt name yourself, and you wouldnt guarantee my safety if i let you continue with your quest. Thank you for showing me that your selfish desires to hoard eq and twink quests are far superior to my efforts to practice skills. I wonder who the fuck you think you are. This is a community not your personal fucking playground.

To the staff that was online:
Why didnt I get any help? Why didnt someone tell me that hes right or im right, or try and moderate the situation? All I got was paraphrased, hes probaly not there to pk you.

I was there first engaged in an enterprise that was rewarding for my character. Same as he was. That is sooo pkill, same as closing doors on people that are fighting or tracking agressive mobs in on folks. If your not prepared to fight a fire spirit, your going to die at least 9 times out of 10, and you got to have a lot of utility to solo one of those.

Sometimes its obviously accidental, and im sure in this case it wouldve been accidental death, but the probability of him getting tagged is high and my probability of living through the encounter is close to 0%. I cant hide, word, or anything else (which most of peope who twink this quest use). Im pretty sure it was a rogue in this case, though shaman have done it to me before.

Plus I warned and tried to work things out with him. He shouldve known better, and I think I shoudlve gotten some help mediating this situation.

Since weve been making lots of changes to make things no twink and definied twink as doing something easier than it was designed. Please fix this quest so that the book cant be twinked by one person. Load a fire spirit in the room with the chest or load a sentinal spirit one east with blocking code.

or

You could fix skill twinking by making it so you cant notch on mobs that are half your level, 3/4 your level or whatever. Twinking skills on wraith mobs and skellies is just as big a twink as twinking quests and eq.

yes im pissed, yes ill get over it, no im not mad at the staff for their lack of intervention though it wouldve been nice, yes i think "Someone" is an asshole, no im not going to practice somewhere else since there is no place half as good, no i dont really think we should "fix" the quest as i described.

Will an immort please comment on whether the actions of "Someone" were within their rights or a violation of mine? I dont care which way, just come out and say it one way or another. We all know that its illegal to close doors on people while they are fighting. in this situation, I think its wrong and that he shouldve left, im sure he thinks he was justified because he was twinking a piece of eq/quest.

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 12-13-2001).]
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Fri Dec 14, 2001 5:21 am

There's plenty of spots to practice skills that aren't in a dangerous place. The advantage of skeletons is that they keep splitting and you don't need to pay attention as much. That's the advantage you get for picking a dangerous place to practice your skills. If you don't want to learn skills *quite* so fast, there are *many* safer places in which you can practice. Out of all the times I've collected that book, I've only been seen once, and it was the first time I did it, when I was inexperienced. I died quite brutally, but from then on, I've done it flawlessly.

Yayaril
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Dec 14, 2001 5:57 am

agree yayril its somewhat dangerous and a lot of other places to practice skills. However, your only in danger of the fire spirits if someone comes or has done the quest. Im not bitching about folks who do the quest when no one is there, its when someone is there and they walk past. Thats rude and inconsiderate and will very likely get someone killed. its worse if they dont warn.

I had no problem letting him go do the quest if he wanted to guarantee that the fire spirits werent going to come out and kill me. He wouldnt guarantee it and he simply put his desires above mine discounting the fact that I was there first and engaged in a pursuit.
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Fri Dec 14, 2001 5:59 am

simple solution

the skeletons try to trip you if you try to leave the room. make them trip/block the entrance to the secret.

simple.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Dec 14, 2001 8:01 am

How bout you just remove the stick from your behind instead of screaming like a little girl over petition?

- Ragorn
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Dec 14, 2001 8:12 am

that would improve things some if they also got di and could see sneak. Perhaps instead just make them block the secret in addition to the tripping stuff.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Fri Dec 14, 2001 8:19 am

Christ can we leave the staff out of petty shit like this? I think since the mud opened I've petitioned a grand total of 4 times, twice for a last name and twice because I was leading a zone and a reboot was announced. I mean that's just sad. Mommy!
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Dec 14, 2001 11:39 am

neat

I havent peitioned that many times either.

If you think im going to sit around and let folks with big heads walk all over me then your wrong. i think what this guy did to me was wrong and i aint about to shut up until an authority speaks on the matter.

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 12-14-2001).]
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Fri Dec 14, 2001 3:36 pm

Simple Solution:

Make door to chest !pick so you have to kill to get key to get book.

All Done!
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Dec 14, 2001 5:13 pm

HELP PETITION, a documet so old that it says "Do not ask when evil races (drow, etc) will be put in" has the following to say to you, kiryan:

* DO try to work out problems with other players on your own before
you petition. Asking the Staff for intervention is a last resort and
doing it to "get even" only makes our job harder.

* Do NOT use petition to debate or express your opinions. These should
be sent to mud@sojourn3.org. They WILL be sent to the appropriate
Staff member from there.

You older players should read help petition if you haven't in a while. It's so dated it's like reading a novelty newspaper from the day you were born. And it bears resemblance to certain religious texts, in that even though it was written 2000 years ago, it still holds answers to today's questions.

- Ragorn
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Fri Dec 14, 2001 7:01 pm

The salesman starts following you.
The salesman saunters up to you and says, 'Hey Nokie! Have I got a
deal for you! Take a look at this magnificent quill.
Isn't it just a dream? And it can be yours for just 82 coins!'

You petition 'Help! this salesman is bothering me!!!11'

The salesman demonstrates the unique usefulness of the quill.

Erevan responds to your petition with 'go away little halfling!'

The salesman waves the quill in your face.

The salesman says 'Only 82 coppers - a bargain!'

You petition 'Make him stop bothering me NOW I need your help'

Kiaransalee has forced you to help petition
PETITION
Syntax: petition <text>
toggle petition

Petition lets you send a message to all the Staff. Toggling petition
lets you turn the petition channel on or off. Petition is used to ask
the Staff questions that are not covered in the help files or to report
MAJOR problems that drastically affect the game or you. Do not use
tells when asking the Staff for help or asking a game-related question.

During peak hours, we usually have over 250 players on line. The ratio
of Staff to players varies and Sojourn is a HUGE MUD. We do not get paid
for this -- our time is completely voluntary -- so we ask that you
observe the following rules as a matter of etiquette:

* DO be patient and courteous when you are asking for help or have a
question. Spamming the petition channel or being rude will only anger
the Staff. Other people may be asking for help at the same time. It is
not uncommon for 5 people to petition all at once for help.

* DO check the help files first before you petition. Your question
may already be answered in there.

* DO check to ensure that the problem you have encountered is not one
of your own making before you petition. Anyone can make a mistake.

* DO read ALL of the rules before you play Sojourn. YOU are responsible
for knowing them. Read HELP RULES and HELP MULTI PLAYING. We
advise that you read HELP MULTI PLAYING if you have not before.
Every MUD has different rules. It is your responsibility to know ours.

* DO try to work out problems with other players on your own before
you petition. Asking the Staff for intervention is a last resort and
doing it to "get even" only makes our job harder.

* Do NOT ask about lag over petition. If it's ours we will TELL you.
If it's not ours, there is nothing we can do. You play at your OWN risk.

* Do NOT attempt to act as a "vigilante" and take matters into your
own hands if you have a problem with a player. Casting spells on mobs,
rooms or stealing or violating any rules, REGARDLESS of the reason is
illegal and you WILL be dealt with. Read HELP RULES for more
information.

* Do NOT use petition to ask when pkill or racewars will be in.
We will TELL YOU when they are.

* Do NOT use petition to inquire when a class will be upgraded/
fixed/downgraded. We will TELL YOU when they are.

* Do NOT use petition to inquire when evil races (drow etc.) will be put
in. We will TELL YOU when they are.

* Do NOT use petition to ask zone creation questions or to ask
if an areas creator is on. Read HELP AREA for that.

* Players (and Staff) are NOT to use petition as their own personal
chat channel.

* Do NOT use petition for reporting ideas, suggestions, or bugs --
unless they are MAJOR bugs that have caused you equipment loss or death.
Instead read HELP TYPO or HELP IDEA or HELP BUG.

* Do NOT use petition to inquire if a Staff member is logged on. If
the God does not appear on the "who" list, assume he/she is not on.

* Do NOT use petition to inquire about or request reboots or quests.
Read HELP REBOOT and HELP QUEST.

* Do NOT use petition to debate or express your opinions. These should
be sent to mud@sojourn3.org. They WILL be sent to the appropriate
Staff member from there.

* Do NOT use the petition channel to ask why a name was declined.
When names are declined, a reason is given. Do not use the petition
channel to continue to argue about it.

* Do NOT petition asking for interference or game information from a
Staff member. The Staff can NOT assist you in retrieving or finding
corpses, give directions to places, teleport you, communicate messages
to invisible players, give information on equipment, areas or mobs,
preserve corpses, etc... read HELP STAFF for more information.

If you have a question or need help with a problem, petition. If you want
to carry on a conversation, use tell. If you feel you just HAVE to whine,
send email to mud@sojourn3.org

Abuse of the petition channel will only invoke the wrath of the gods. We
expect EVERYONE to abide by this.

See also: TOGGLE, STAFF

Kiaransalee responds to your petition with 'ask again and your caged!'

The salesman demonstrates the unique usefulness of the quill.
The salesman says 'Only 82 coppers - a bargain!'

You petition 'I can't handle this salesman on my own, I need god help now!!'

You have been deleted.
%% sojourn3: Connection closed.

------------------
Nokie 'No you don't!! That belongs to me!' Quickfingers

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 14, 2001 7:42 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kiryan:
[B]To the staff that was online:
Why didnt I get any help? Why didnt someone tell me that hes right or im right, or try and moderate the situation? All I got was paraphrased, hes probaly not there to pk you.
[\B][\QUOTE]

First of all, let me highlight a portion of your log: "If you do not get a response, it's because the staff are busy or unavailable." Second of all, it seems to me that Kia had already answered your petition.

In any event, there was really nothing to be done in this situation. This is EXACTLY the sort of thing that the Staff does NOT want to be involved with. Players should be able to work these things out for themselves. We're not your babysitters.

This is no more pk than a member of a group spanked in IC trying to take on archie who tracks werewolves all the way to the mirar cable ferry and thereby kills a handful of lowbie and midlevel players as well. MAYBE it's a lack of consideration on the part of the person doing the quest, but nothing else.

--D2

[This message has been edited by D2 (edited 12-14-2001).]
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Fri Dec 14, 2001 10:02 pm

Nice example D2,

I took to dying in place out of consideration several years ago, it also makes my rotting, stinking corpse easier to find, though not always easier to retrieve.

I'd say out of consideration, if you're trying to sneak by with that quest bit, and aggro the flames, die in place if someone is practicing.

Just my 2 coppers.

Toplack
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Dec 14, 2001 10:48 pm

I don't know if it qualifies as twinking if it can be done and there's nothing explicity against it. Sure it's kind of cheap, and sure people dying is bad, but I think the main problem here is that the rogue himself is not dying, and is surviving long enough to drag those agros out.

If possible, perhaps the zone should be modified to increase chance of death for the rogue and decrease chance of him pk'ing someone else.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sun Dec 16, 2001 6:41 am

What we have here is a quest and a nonsensical room where people congregate to bot. The operative thing to do here is remove the lesser of the two, i.e. the skellies.

People doing the quest have priority. You don't get to tell a Vault group that they have to leave because you're exping on tubbies and you're afraid someone will track Malice to you.

- Ragorn
Rellanor
Sojourner

Postby Rellanor » Sun Dec 16, 2001 9:33 am

Well put Ragorn
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sun Dec 16, 2001 11:27 am

Funny that Rags would bring up IC spanks in a thread. Funny indeed *whistle*

Twyl
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sun Dec 16, 2001 1:06 pm

I hate you.

- Ragorn
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Sun Dec 16, 2001 6:39 pm

I agree that someone practicing at skellies shouldn't stop someone from doing the quest. I think a warning is in order to the ppl practicing so they can clear out until you tell them whether you tracked anything out or not.

Vadian

P.S. I've done the quest only once, and we killed everything we aggroed Image
Lig
Sojourner

Postby Lig » Mon Dec 17, 2001 2:31 am

Heh, I don't think anyone here agrees with Kiryan here. Just an observation. :P
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Dec 17, 2001 2:49 am

D2,

Yea so dont get involved in game but take a stance here. Hopefully that the person who was there first has priority, but take some sort of stance please even if it is that eq rules. The message your sending to me is that its all right to fuck with players with agro mobs especially if there is eq involved. I know you guys would come down on someone if they were abusing trackers to pk folks, but this guys walks right past me (or attempts to do so) and all i get from staff is a cryptic response and a unwillingness to even say to me go do something else he has priority or say to him go do something else he was there first. I hardly think that my petition was answered, at best it left me with more questions. Think about how much better the boards are lately with increased god feedback. Yes its slightly more time consuming, but it probably couldve saved any need for response here and settled matters relatively conclusively.

Ragorn,

Not the same ragorn, close, but there is only one way for the fire spirits to track out and thats through my ass. And you dont agro malice or werewolves without intending to kill them, these twinkers never intend to kill the fire spirits, and fully intend to flee out if they get caught but are willing to risk of the practicer in the process. Heck it might even slow the fire spirit down some. Not only that I did attempt to talk to him, but i wasnt about to wait for him to respond. Its not like this is the first time Ive been afflicted in such a manner. Not only that, but the individual involved came through in such a manner as I was not to notice, if he had been visible, i wouldnt not have felt the need to petition so quickly. Im not a dog that lies down to be kicked.

Thank you for trying to portray me as some sort of child who hasnt read or doesnt understand the rules. Im sure I know at least as much as you about the rules and have been on the wrong side more than you. I fully believe that this place is better with people who respect each others desires rather than imposing on others when they think they can get away with it. nfortunately rules seem to be the only thing most of you block heads understand.

This case is nothing more than one player imposing his selfish desire over mine. My only credit is that I was there first. On Sojourn, who is first has gone a long ways in determing right. So get off me. If god comes out and says eq rules then I wont have need to confront an individual such as this in the future, Ill just go my merry way. Hopefully, they will agree that my pursuit was as valid as his and being there first is more important than the mindless pursuit and twink of treasure.

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 12-17-2001).]
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon Dec 17, 2001 6:24 am

Great, the gig is up, Kiryan just revealed my strategy of using people practicing at skeletons as a speedbump when trying to twink the book..

Yayaril
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Dec 17, 2001 8:13 am

There was a fire spirit in skellies today when veldrex and I tried to go there.

Someone is trying to foil my attempts to become Cherzra...and when I find out who would deny my such awesome power I will smite them mightily!
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Dec 17, 2001 8:37 am

There are a hundred similar situations on the mud that could come up any day. Rather than rattle off ten or twelve examples of large tracking mobs that could potentially wreak havoc on lowbies, I'm just going to say that people running quests and groups doing eq/exp should have priority over solo players practicing skills. Why? You can only do the fire spirit quest in that one room. You can practice your rescue ANYWHERE on the mud.

Is it rude to track aggros without warning people? Yes. Is it intentional player killing, and should you petition and then flame the gods when they don't answer the way you want?

- Ragorn
Some questions are best left unanswered.

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”