Res failures

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Corth
Sojourner

Res failures

Postby Corth » Fri Jan 04, 2002 5:15 am

I have pretty good con.. and yet i fail significantly more than my share of res's. Ebgar has failed 4% of his total res's since he has gotten the spell, and I would estimate that he has failed at least 15% of his res's on my corpses. Likewise, Ive failed a relatively high percentage of res's from other ressers.

Now I know it might be dumb luck.. but im wondering.. do mages have a greater chance of failing res? I mean, if they do.. thats adding insult to injury. We are the toughest classes to exp, and then we fail more res's then anyone else.

Anyone else think they have failed more than there share of res's? I'm thinking the baseline should be ebgar's 4% failure rate. If your failing 10-15% of your res's then im interested in hearing about it. Likewise, if your failing less than your share of res's, I'm also interested. I want to get a good idea about what classes (and their relevant stats) are most prone to res failure.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Fri Jan 04, 2002 5:21 am

95 con, I've failed about 8 resses total. I have no idea what percentage that is, but it's pretty low.

-Todrael
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Fri Jan 04, 2002 5:40 am

< 439h/439H 116v/122V >
<> help resurrect
RESURRECT
Spell.

Area of effect: <corpse>
Aggressive: No
Cumulative: N/A
Duration: Instantaneous
Class/Circle: Cleric 10th
Type of spell: Healing

This spell will restore life to a corpse, negating 80% of the
experience lost by the death. It is not without risks however.
If the person being resurrected has low constitution, the strain
of being resurrected may be too great, in which case the spell
may fail, and the corpse will be incapable of being restored to
life. There is also a chance, also based on constitution, that
the strain of being resurrected will permanently damage the health
and/or mind of the victim. The person being resurrected will
suffer severe penalties to all attributes, hitpoints, and movement
points for up to 12 game hours after resurrection.

When a player is resurrected, all of the items he/she was wearing

[RETURN for more, q to quit]
or carrying will drop to the ground. There will be no reimbursements
for dropped items due to resurrection. It is also ILLEGAL to resurrect
a player for the purpose of stealing the items he/she is wearing.
Clerics must get permission from the player before casting the spell. If your are an Illusionist and your name starts with C and ends with H, you will fail most of your resses.

seems to explain it to me.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Fri Jan 04, 2002 9:05 am

Neither Mages nor any other class have any advantage or disadvantage towards ressing.

All classes are created equal in this instance, hope that answers your question.

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Dezzex
Sojourner

Postby Dezzex » Fri Jan 04, 2002 10:24 am

92 natural con and 91 natural con on my 50 necro and 46 enchanter, respectively. The only 2 ressurections I have ever failed thus far were back-to-back. For me that'd be under 5% easy.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Fri Jan 04, 2002 1:21 pm

From what I've seen mage classes appear to fail more, since a lot of them are elves or have lower con. On the same note, warriors seem to do better, since lots of them are dwarfs or barbs.

Class doesn't make a differnace as Shev said, but I think race does due to the con modifiers.

As fo ryour situation, dunno Corth. I'll check my res stats when I get home later, but I think humans were pretty good (around 5% failure).
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Jan 04, 2002 2:41 pm

84 natural con, and boy, do I wince when I get ressed with no con gear on. I've only failed one ress, but on the flip side, I was losing con points like nobody's business. Before that little aspect of ress was removed, I'm fairly sure I lost 5 points of con to resses, and I wasn't ressed that often back then. Now the silly con drain is gone, and I'm stuck with wearing con gear for the rest of my playing days... as if my little elven hitpoints weren't bad enough.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Jan 04, 2002 2:51 pm

ive failed 2 out of 3 resses one day at around level 44, not since and not before.

my gf drow mage hasnt failed yet but hasnt died more than 20 times.

im assuming there is some sort of function that computes and returns your con notch, do mages and warriors return the same value for the same race?
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Fri Jan 04, 2002 8:47 pm

Failed 1 out of god knows how many, perhaps I'm just lucky, or perhaps I'm in for a streak of bummers... or... my trusty ressers are just VERY good!

Toplack
Cerlayne
Sojourner

Postby Cerlayne » Fri Jan 04, 2002 9:07 pm

i have yet to fail a ress.. and gawd knows i manage to die enough... i did lose 2 con points before they fixed that so my con is now a nat 98.. personally woulda rather failed then lose those con points.. but oh well... now that i've said watch me fail my next 5 resses.. shudder

Cerly
Ebgar
Sojourner

Postby Ebgar » Sat Jan 05, 2002 1:12 am

My ress Stats since i got the spell:

Success: 1068 Failed: 51, ---> Failure Rate: 4 %
Last Success: wobu, Last Failure: xebes, Streak: 15 success in a row
Number of Fools who forgot to consent me: 35, Last Fool: weylarii

[This message has been edited by Ebgar (edited 01-04-2002).]
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sat Jan 05, 2002 2:17 am

My stats got screwed up since I res ppl at my main computer at home, and also at work.. bah.

I'll try to figure out the exact stuff later, but I know its around 4% also.
Xebes
Sojourner

Postby Xebes » Sat Jan 05, 2002 9:04 am

I'll have to agree with corth here... the other night I failed my twelfth ress since starting Xebes the enchanter... 91 natural con, I usually ress with a piece of eq or two bringing it to 95.

------------------
-<(#)>- Xebes makes your heart start to race REAL FAST!
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Sat Jan 05, 2002 9:42 am

Whats ironic is that I never failed a ress with Jegzed in Soj2 nor in Soj3. And I only had about 90 con. And I've ressed several times immediately after another ress.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Jan 05, 2002 3:40 pm

jegzed you foo, dont you know drow is someone vay up theres pet race! ok jk.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Jan 05, 2002 5:01 pm

Hrmm, xebes, if your failing at a 4% rate, then you would have had to have been resed more than 250 times in order to accrue 4 failures. I doubt even you have died that much Image

At a 10% rate you would have failed 12 out of 120 total ress's. Does that sound about right?

I'm not good with statistics.. can anyone figure out what the probability is of failing 10% of your res's (12 out of 120) assuming that the failure rate is 4% uniform without any modifiers such as con?

Also, I would appreciate it if any other human mages could post their success (or lack of success) in ressing. The only two human mages to post here, me and xebes, seem to be having lots of problems.

Corth
Trogar
Sojourner

Postby Trogar » Sun Jan 06, 2002 6:44 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Corth:
<B>I'm not good with statistics.. can anyone figure out what the probability is of failing 10% of your res's (12 out of 120) assuming that the failure rate is 4% uniform without any modifiers such as con?
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If failing is a 4% chance (ie .04), then the probability of failing two resses in a row is (.04)^2, and the probability of failing n resses in a row is (.04)^n. It would get infinitately small (ie zero) as n gets very large.

Ok you want to know that given the probabilty that failing is 4%, then you get 10 out of 120 failures.

Hrm... You have to use probability distributions to do this. I would have to look it up.

BRB

Trogar
Trogar
Sojourner

Postby Trogar » Sun Jan 06, 2002 6:54 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Trogar:
<B>Ok you want to know that given the probabilty that failing is 4%, then you get 10 out of 120 failures.

You need a binomial distribution to solve this. The math works as follows.

120!
-------- (0.04)^10 (0.96)^110
10! 110!

=0.01365050495

So the chance of failing 10 resses out of 120 resses is 1.3%. Ress is fubared because it is HIGHELY improabable to fail 10 resses. Assuming I did the distribution right, which I am pretty sure it is. Been a few years since I took statistics.

I now present a theorem:

Trogar's Theorem: Corth is a very unlucky loser. Image

Trogar the Mathematician

[This message has been edited by Trogar (edited 01-06-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Trogar (edited 01-06-2002).]
Trogar
Sojourner

Postby Trogar » Sun Jan 06, 2002 7:09 am

Oh I'm sorry Gene. YOu asked to figure out 12 failures out of 120, not 10 failures. Anyway, that would be less then 1.3% obviously. I'll get the exact number for you.

Hrm I worked it out. Interesting. Heheh you have to understand that probabilities are based on exponential functions, so they grow very VERY fast.

120!
-------- (0.04)^12 (0.96)^108
12! 108!

= .002152640395

So the chance of failing 12 resses out of 120 with a 4% failure rate is 1/5th of 1 percent.

Trogar
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sun Jan 06, 2002 7:38 am

Trogar knows how to calculate that type of stuff... but *I'm* the loser?! Image

heheh, thanks for the calculation. I think xebes having has 120 total res's is conservative. He has had less i imagine. But even using 120, it would be a minute chance that he would fail all those res's at a 4% rate. Also, he has 91 natural con and holds con eq during res's. So I dont think con is the major factor here..

Hrmm.. shev said that all classes and races are equal as far as res failure goes. That would imply also that con isn't a factor since some races have higher con than others. (i.e. dorf v. grey elf). If con was a factor, then grey elves would fail many more res's than dwarves.. but I dont get the impression that this is the case.

Corth
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Sun Jan 06, 2002 10:15 am

i cant fathom why any coder would take the time to code individual roll possibilities on ress failure for each class.

it's just bad luck
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sun Jan 06, 2002 11:09 am

Actually, heh, since you bring it up, im wondering if that "luck" stat that nobody knows anything about (but everyone knows exists), has anything to do with it.

But seriously, I fail like 15% of my res's. It can't possibly be random.. the probabilities would be miniscule given the # of res's that I had and the overall res failure rate of 4%. Its either con, or some other stat. I'd like to be able to figure out what it is.
Maladryn
Sojourner

Postby Maladryn » Sun Jan 06, 2002 1:48 pm

There's got to be a luck stat because I'm a mage and I"ve only ever failed 2 resses. Probably gotten around 100 so, 2% fail rate for me approximately.

Maladryn
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Sun Jan 06, 2002 2:42 pm

I would say my failure rate is above 4%.

Anyway, its all a roll of a die on the mud.

If you get above a certain number it works.

If you get below a certain number it fails.

If you've failed a lot, you got some crappy rolls. Its random.

If you've not failed at all, you got some good rolls. Its random.

I've failed a bunch and I have 100 con natural. :P Its random.

Dornax
Jurdex
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Sun Jan 06, 2002 3:01 pm

Corth - I never said anything one way or the other about races, just classes.

Just clarifying. Image

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Xebes
Sojourner

Postby Xebes » Sun Jan 06, 2002 6:24 pm

uh-oh... does shevy have something against humans?! *just failed his 13th ress and 2nd in 2 days*

------------------
-<(#)>- Xebes makes your heart start to race REAL FAST!

[This message has been edited by Xebes (edited 01-06-2002).]
Glorishan
Sojourner

Postby Glorishan » Mon Jan 07, 2002 5:29 am

Trogar, when was the last time you had a date? I think Corth was right, you're the loser! :P

Glorishan
Trogar
Sojourner

Postby Trogar » Mon Jan 07, 2002 2:13 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Glorishan:
Trogar, when was the last time you had a date? I think Corth was right, you're the loser! :P</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

FEH Ryan! Its like 2nd year material.

I think you and Corth were both philosophy majors... some of us actually did things in university :-P.

Trogar
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Jan 08, 2002 1:00 am

They're not paying us philosophers well these days...

And you were doing something at the university? Oh yah, thats right, you were leading jot every... single... day! Image

Corth
Trogar
Sojourner

Postby Trogar » Tue Jan 08, 2002 4:08 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Corth:
<B>And you were doing something at the university? Oh yah, thats right, you were leading jot every... single... day! Image

But but but... I was leading the philosophers!!!!
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Tue Jan 08, 2002 12:02 pm

I have a good friend who majored in Math undergrad then went for a masters in philosophy - a natural extension of his studies in Math. If you go far enough in the field, Trogar... Image
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Tue Jan 08, 2002 3:31 pm

I'm on a quest for ignorance,

The more you know, the more you realize what you don't know, so, when I know everything, I'll know nothing... or something like that....

Toplack... has just confused himself...
fildur
Sojourner

Postby fildur » Tue Jan 08, 2002 6:12 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Trogar:
So the chance of failing 12 resses out of 120 with a 4% failure rate is 1/5th of 1 percent</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

and tche chance of failing the next ress still is 4%, that dont change due to history.
the thought that now ive lost twice so i cant loose in like 50 tries is just the fallacity of the gambler, its the way ppl loose their houses etc...../fil
Trogar
Sojourner

Postby Trogar » Tue Jan 08, 2002 7:05 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fildur:
<B> and tche chance of failing the next ress still is 4%, that dont change due to history.
the thought that now ive lost twice so i cant loose in like 50 tries is just the fallacity of the gambler, its the way ppl loose their houses etc...../fil</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NO. You misread the question. The chance to fail each individual ress is 4%. Read my very first post about (0.04)^n.

The question is what was the probability of failing 12 resses out of 120 if the percent of failing is 4%. In which case my analysis is correct.

Trogar
Trogar
Sojourner

Postby Trogar » Tue Jan 08, 2002 7:21 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vipplin:
I have a good friend who majored in Math undergrad then went for a masters in philosophy - a natural extension of his studies in Math. If you go far enough in the field, Trogar... Image</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's interesting. Almost everything is a natural extension of mathematics. Engineering, Physics, Computer Science, Commerce, Economics were all built by mathematicians. If you can do math, there are a lot of doors open to you if you apply it to another discipline. however if you do math and only math, you are stuck being a professor cause there is no math industry.

Trogar
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Tue Jan 08, 2002 7:42 pm

<B>
But but but... I was leading the philosophers!!!!</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.

but the probabilty is
not
fildur
Sojourner

Postby fildur » Tue Jan 08, 2002 8:36 pm

<B> NO. You misread the question. The chance to fail each individual ress is 4%. Read my very first post about (0.04)^n.

The question is what was the probability of failing 12 resses out of 120 if the percent of failing is 4%. In which case my analysis is correct.

i dint misread i just wanted to point out what it means with 4%, it dont change the probqability of the next case. and as you pointed out theres 0.2 % chance of 12 fails in 120 trys, that means that its not surprising that there is cases where this exist, ask any resser, how many resses have ye done.....quite some i believe, and for quite alot ppl too...../fil
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Jan 09, 2002 12:29 am

Fildur:

I'll take your gambling analogy and run with it. A penny has a 50/50 chance of being heads, and of being tails. Now say your betting money that the penny will be heads. You flip it 100 times, and its tails 70 times. Well, it might just have been luck.. maybe you flip it 100 more times and you'll get 30 tails. However, at a certain point the probability of something happening is so low that it leads to the conclusion that something is fishy. If you flipped that penny 100 times, and 98 times it was tails (the chances of this happening are infinitesimal), you can pretty much conclude that the person your betting with is using a loaded penny.

We saw that the chance of xebes failing 12 out of 120 res's, at 4% rate of failure, was extremely small (1/5 of 1 percentage point). I submit that xebes has a higher chance of failing a res than your typical player. Its not a 4% chance on his res. You have people in this thread posing that they've had dozens and dozens of res's and have never failed one. The chances of that happening are real small too.

So what is the point of all this? I was hoping if enough people posted their experience, we could figure out what factors lead to a greater chance of failing a res. It didn't happen cause there isn't a large enough sample size.

I think though that con, believe it or not, has been eliminated as a factor. I'm hearing about grey elves that hardly ever fail, and humans that fail at extremly high rates.

I'm guessing the luck stat that is hidden from players is the biggest factor.

Corth
Ex
Trogar
Sojourner

Postby Trogar » Wed Jan 09, 2002 1:45 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"><B>
I'll take your gambling analogy and run with it. A penny has a 50/50 chance of being heads, and of being tails. Now say your betting money that the penny will be heads. You flip it 100 times, and its tails 70 times. Well, it might just have been luck.. maybe you flip it 100 more times and you'll get 30 tails. However, at a certain point the probability of something happening is so low that it leads to the conclusion that something is fishy. If you flipped that penny 100 times, and 98 times it was tails (the chances of this happening are infinitesimal), you can pretty much conclude that the person your betting with is using a loaded penny.

Yup. Every toss of the penny is independent. Proabailities only really matter at infinity. If you toss a coin infinitly many times, it will be EXACTLY 50%. If you flip a coin 10 million times, it will be like 50.00003 and 49.00097.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"><B>
So what is the point of all this? I was hoping if enough people posted their experience, we could figure out what factors lead to a greater chance of failing a res. It didn't happen cause there isn't a large enough sample size.

Actually. I have only failed 1 ress on soj3 so far. I do not know how many resses i've had. I do know that when we first got ressurection, I had 17 corpses saved (thank you Dornax and Cralya!). Being a warrior I die a fair bit in zones, and I die a fair bit when I explore the mud (wish I was a druid!). I am WELL under the 4% chance.

Trogar
Trogar
Sojourner

Postby Trogar » Wed Jan 09, 2002 1:49 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zrax:
<B>
but the probabilty is
not

Hehehhe.

Actually, 1.999999 = 2. The above two numbers would also be equal. Don't ask why :-P.

Trogar
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Jan 09, 2002 6:34 am

trogar arent you wrong? in my statistics book they it wasnt 50/50 it was almost 50/50 with an infintessimaly small chance of landing on the edge. so flipping it infinitely number of times should yield at least 1 time of being neither heads nor tails.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Wed Jan 09, 2002 7:04 am

<B>...there is no math industry.

That's what the NSA *wants* you to think. Image

Twyl
Nida
Sojourner

Postby Nida » Wed Jan 09, 2002 7:58 am

Secret luck stat = power? Perhaps it is useful for us non-squiddies after all...
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Wed Jan 09, 2002 12:19 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nida:
Secret luck stat = power? Perhaps it is useful for us non-squiddies after all...</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In all the years I've been MUD'ing on Sojourn, I have never, EVER failed a Ress...
Of course, just because I've only been ress'd once in 5 years doesn't mean anything...
1/1=100%, I like that number! Image

------------------
Taegost, The one and ONLY STUPER DRUID(tm)
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Jan 09, 2002 3:25 pm

caz, troll warrior, has failed prolly 2 out of 50 (maybe as many as 70) resses and i have like a 30 power.

inesa, drow enchanter, has failed 0 out of about 25 resses.

hows your strengh corth and xebes? if there was a secret stat or some wierd factor strength might be it. that would also help explain why mages might be failing alot.

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 01-09-2002).]
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Jan 09, 2002 6:11 pm

Hrmm, I think my strength naked was 87. I always rolled for decent strength on any character, even mages.

Corth
Ex

[This message has been edited by Corth (edited 01-09-2002).]
Magruk Eat Elf
Sojourner

Postby Magruk Eat Elf » Thu Jan 10, 2002 2:28 am

Luck has nothing to do with it..
It's done through a computer and the answer is always 1 or 0, life or death, yes or oops.. :P

Randonimity (think that's right) does not exist random is never fair, you will always end up losing, it's the illusion you have a chance that makes you think you have a chance.

Philosophy = Let me THINK about it.
Mathematics = Don't COUNT on it.
Fraternity = BEER!
Trogar
Sojourner

Postby Trogar » Thu Jan 10, 2002 3:26 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
trogar arent you wrong? in my statistics book they it wasnt 50/50 it was almost 50/50 with an infintessimaly small chance of landing on the edge. so flipping it infinitely number of times should yield at least 1 time of being neither heads nor tails.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmmmmmmm. I was told when taught that it would be exactly 50% - which does not nessicarily mean that it is correct. I am not a statistics guru, I just have minimial knowledge of 1 course.

However, if you treat tossing a coin as a descision problem, where the outcome is either head or tails. I don't see where the idea of being neither a head nor a tail comes from. Unless you are using quantum mechanics of course.

So I don't think so, but I can't proove it. Wierd things happen at infinity ehheeh.

Trogar
fildur
Sojourner

Postby fildur » Thu Jan 10, 2002 9:46 am

<B>Fildur:

I'll take your gambling analogy and run with it. A penny has a 50/50 chance of being heads, and of being tails. Now say your betting money that the penny will be heads. You flip it 100 times, and its tails 70 times. Well, it might just have been luck.. maybe you flip it 100 more times and you'll get 30 tails. However, at a certain point the probability of something happening is so low that it leads to the conclusion that something is fishy. If you flipped that penny 100 times, and 98 times it was tails (the chances of this happening are infinitesimal), you can pretty much conclude that the person your betting with is using a loaded penny. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

sure theres a difference if the chance isnt what its sayed to be, but still, the probability for the next case wont change on basis on the base of history, thats just a too common misconception of statistics, im not saying that things arent foobared in the case of res, but still if they arent you cant add the history to the future cases and believe that its "soon gonna even out".

You have people in this thread posing that they've had dozens and dozens of res's and have never failed one. The chances of that happening are real small too.

any single statistikal outcome is small, thats the point, but i think that there is a higher probability that the cases of unluck starts a thread on a BBS than lucky cases...

i dont disagree with that intention, sadly (or luckily Image), i cant contribute to the sample size, since i havent been ressed since s2 (a ton of resses, 1 loose con)/fil
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Jan 10, 2002 2:18 pm

from landing on its edge and being balanced rather than landing tail side or heads side up. if you were treating it as a problem that only has 2 outcomes heads or tails then yea. i just remember it kept me from getting a perfect score on a math test one time and im still bitter!

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”