Add Elementalists

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Todrael
Sojourner

Add Elementalists

Postby Todrael » Wed Jan 09, 2002 7:58 pm

Add the Elementalist class, please.

-Todrael
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Wed Jan 09, 2002 9:40 pm

When it's done.

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Wed Jan 09, 2002 11:21 pm

*whip*

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 10, 2002 1:24 am

I'd tell you when, but I only got through 2 years of Calculus, so I'm unable to make that calculation. Image
combatmedic
Sojourner

Postby combatmedic » Thu Jan 10, 2002 1:53 am

I can calculate it, i took Pre-Algerbra! *yeah!*

Time=365days - ($donations to staff * days the coder is online) - ($donations to the coder making elementalists * work days of coder)- (work/school free days of coder * 2)

With the answer no sooner than yesterday, if so, answer is automatically 3wks.

And i won't even charge ya for that calculation!

------------------
Aram the novice paly
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Thu Jan 10, 2002 3:23 am

Using your equation I come up with about 19 weeks.
$donations are not accepted so them terms go to 0.
Assuming the coder works for a living, he has roughly 104 days off (2 days per week) + 12 holidays (approx), multiplying by 2 then subtracting that from 365 nets 133 days or 19 weeks.
But the 19 weeks is if he works continuously, which he cannot, so we figure he works on the off days from work.
Pushing the due date to approx 66 weeks from now.
You'll get them some time next year.
Blame combatmedic though, not me Image
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Thu Jan 10, 2002 4:59 am

Wait Mud came up in May 01. +66weeks
May 02 would be 52
66-52= 14
14/4per month
Hey mid September.
*taunt Lyt*
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Thu Jan 10, 2002 9:15 am

Coders get two days off and holidays?

------------------
</B>
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Thu Jan 10, 2002 10:42 am

Bah, poor mathematics at best. Everyone knows that you have to factor in a *very* important variable and a constant.

Beer Consumption and Shev's Constant MUST be included!

------------------
Elseenas of No House Worth Mentioning
Bopple
Sojourner

Postby Bopple » Thu Jan 10, 2002 11:32 am

Shev not following Tod's order! Tod failed us! Image
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Thu Jan 10, 2002 7:48 pm

No class is ever done. Everything is constantly changing. Illusionists were barely half done when added. Archery was far from done when added. Many, many things have been added half-completed or still raw. It's the feedback from testing these things during the Beta period of the mud (now) that helps the staff the most in correcting problems and implementing good solutions for the classes. That's my opinion anyways.

If they are so far from completion that not even a test version can be implemented, then I would have to ask what exactly is being worked on by the staff, or if the staff actually exists. The news in the development forum isn't exactly encouraging, especially that little line that says it's post date.

-Todrael
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Jan 10, 2002 7:52 pm

Re: Todrael

From what i understand, the coders have many more projects than just elementalists. They code the eq procs that come in (GCD is around 200 lines and took almost a week). They code procs on mobs and add in other stuff. The faster people come forward with twinks, the more time coders can dedicate their time to coding elementalists.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Thu Jan 10, 2002 8:10 pm

The fact is, there are many considerations unknown to the players. I could tell you all of them and we could debate them endlessly, but that would just make it take longer, since I'd have to spend so much time answering posts...

------------------
</B>
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Jan 10, 2002 8:17 pm

I would never make it as a coder. One time when I was waiting at a red light, which happened to be a freeway entrance to the right, the light turned green and I rolled forward while the last jerk who was running his red light to turn in front of me was clearing the the intersection. Before that car had even moved out from in front of me the cow behind me was leaning on her horn. It burned me so much that I sat there through two rotations of the light, flipping her off while she pounded on her horn. Some day I'm gonna get shot like that. Either way, she didn't get where she was going any faster by making demands.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Jan 10, 2002 10:17 pm

You really should play an evil human rogue, Ashiwi. That last post makes me want to marry you, but alas, you're a stinky old elf.

Yayaril

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 10, 2002 10:32 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Todrael:
then I would have to ask what exactly is being worked on by the staff, or if the staff actually exists.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will be the first to admit that my own contribution here over the last 4 months or so has been minimal. This is primarily due to a large combination of factors which I choose not to share.

HOWEVER - this post still rankles the hell out of me. Maybe on it's own it wouldn't bother me so much, but the large majority of your posts over the last month have been nothing but sarcastic jibes or have been couched in a tone that you as a player are owed this or that. The day you start paying for this game, fine post that sort of thing all you want. But in a free game, that attitude of entitlement of yours isn't going to do anything but irritate the people who actually are using their spare time to expand this free game as their HOBBY (even moreso than it irritates me).

--D2

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 10, 2002 11:14 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Todrael:
<B>I would have to ask what exactly is being worked on by the staff, or if the staff actually exists. The news in the development forum isn't exactly encouraging, especially that little line that says it's post date.

-Todrael</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Todrael,

I am on from 6pm to 2am almost every night (after I get home from my job) either coding, adminning, or writing sections of an area (sometimes all at once). So pardon me if I take this little comment as a slap in the face because we're not doing things as fast as YOU would like them.

It's posts like this that make us NOT want to update the development forum.

- Kiaransalee

[This message has been edited by Kiaransalee (edited 01-10-2002).]
combatmedic
Sojourner

Postby combatmedic » Fri Jan 11, 2002 12:07 am

So uh....umm....i mail the $ donations to where? .... Oh the drama! I need popcorn and a soda while i read this!

Admin/coders/whoeverelse i am forgeting. Great job! Love the game, hate the fact that i am missing study time playing it!

Everyone...try to take it as constructive criticism. At least that is what i kept on trying to tell myself when the drill sergeant kept on yelling obscenities at me whenever i missed a target, or put a tourniquet on 1/2 in too high.

------------------
Aram the novice paly
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Fri Jan 11, 2002 1:00 am

Todrael sux0rs.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Fri Jan 11, 2002 1:40 am

Downgrade Todrael!
Nida
Sojourner

Postby Nida » Fri Jan 11, 2002 1:59 am

Downgrade timespace; it gets in the way of coding!
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Fri Jan 11, 2002 2:22 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ensis:
Todrael sux0rs.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ok so maybe this was a bit harsh..

well, maybe if you spent less time crossreferencing threads, making stupid suggestions like liches as starting race, and crying about how your spells suck, and more time playing the game/writing constructive posts, you wouldn't sux0r

Ensis for president.
Dakrish
Sojourner

Postby Dakrish » Fri Jan 11, 2002 2:56 am

*boldly walks into the busy intersection and holds up a stop sign*

Before this thread gets out of hand I think EVERYONE involved should take a couple deep breathes (some more then others). Don't turn this into a Todrael bashing thread, nore an admin bashing thread. We all know the admin have real life obligations, just someone needs to have the balls to step forth and say the things that most people think.

Todrael did this, and what happened? I can understand why the staff would get urked by this, but it is my opinion that other players flaming Todrael is 100% unnecessary. The admins aren't little children, they can defend themself. No progress will be made if other players jump in and throw immature flames. That's just stupid. And man do I hate stupid people.

Why is crossreferencing threads bad? I think it's good.

Why is feedback bad? I think it's good, while others call it whining.

Also, sometimes it takes sarcasm to get needed attention.

Todrael plays the game more then most, and he has had a LOT more construtive posts then most people. Todrael doesn't suck by any stretch of the imagination, that's improper word usage. He stood up and questioned things that most others are too timid to do.

I've known Todrael for eleven years. 97% of you goodies don't even know him. Let alone you don't see his petitions that only the immortals see. He gives enormous amounts of feedback, not to improve his class or his character, but to improve the mud as a whole.

Let's keep this a mature discussion board, not some immature flame board.

peACe oUt
gyrx
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Fri Jan 11, 2002 3:07 am

Maybe you didn't see the point of what I posted. :P See the diagram below.

A: Todrael beginning thread = ass.

B: Gods respond in kind in defense to having lives/incompletion of mentalists.

C: Todrael whines about how unfinished everything is, saying its halfassed.

D: I point out Tod's lack of life, referencing the crossreferencing thread thing, his whiny attitude about silly things ie: Make liches available at character creation, druids are better than me, etc..

This is not a constructive post, it didn't start that way, it wont end that way Image

Pobre Todrael

Tengo los dos gatos en mis zapatos!

Ensis-o.

[This message has been edited by Ensis (edited 01-10-2002).]
Dakrish
Sojourner

Postby Dakrish » Fri Jan 11, 2002 3:12 am

With the above being said, I have something else to post.

I think the staff does a terrific job. I try every other day to petition how appreciative I am of them. Real life is more important then mud, and I'm not going to bash people that give up their free time to give us all tremendous amounts of enjoyment. I think you guys are great! I'm just sorry that sometimes we get so frustrated that we take you guys for granted.

Thanks a billion. I've had many many many hours of enjoyment thanks to you guys. Sojourn 3 has allowed me the opportunity to escape my real life bullshit and have fun. I cannot thank you guys enough Image

peACe oUt
laterZ
gyrx
Dakrish
Sojourner

Postby Dakrish » Fri Jan 11, 2002 3:19 am

I'm sorry Ensis, but it's you who didn't see the point of my post. I tried to make it a construtive thread, but it's people like you that make that near impossible. I could point out many things about you, but I don't like to flame people, so I will refrain.

I'm not going to further the immatureness of this thread.

gyrx
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Fri Jan 11, 2002 3:28 am

*hug*
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Fri Jan 11, 2002 6:50 am

Dakrish Sux0rs.

I just wanted to say Sux0rs. It's cool. it's like a real word but different because it's got the number zero in it.

------------------
·•Kuurg•·
apprentice
Sojourner

Postby apprentice » Fri Jan 11, 2002 7:43 am

When I read Todrael's post, I knew this thread was going to get the responses it did. His post irritated me because it serves no purpose other than to rile the staff up, and it angered me because he knew he was posting inflammatory stuff.

Todrael, when you are helping a friend move, and he continually tells you "Man what are you, stupid? Don't grab that cabinet that way. And hurry up and move those damn boxes too, you're just lazy and not doing anything" - what would you do?

Exactly, nothing.

And by the way, signing your posts with "Todrael, tired." is sure way to irritate the staff too.

You know what happens when these forums turn into a bitch and staff bash fest? Right, the staff stops reading them, they lose interest in the game, they leave, mud dies. Or they get pissed, arguments ensue, people get banned, mud gets shut down out of anger. So shut the hell up already and accept things the way they are.
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Fri Jan 11, 2002 9:35 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kuurg:
<B>Dakrish Sux0rs.

I just wanted to say Sux0rs. It's cool. it's like a real word but different because it's got the number zero in it.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hehehe he said sux0rs hehee, heheh
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Fri Jan 11, 2002 3:08 pm

I think we should just have a naked Jell-O wrestling contest between Todrael and the Admins while all the Druids and Clerics stand on the sidelines casting Earthquake.
Last man standing wins!
And no, you can't use your fancy guns like I saw in those logs a week or so back!

------------------
Taegost, The one and ONLY STUPER DRUID(tm)
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Fri Jan 11, 2002 6:02 pm

The admins rock, the mud rocks, any issues or shortcomings will work themselves out in time.

Remember folks, Patience is a virtue, so lets all be virtuous!

Toplack
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Fri Jan 11, 2002 6:29 pm

If I was an admin I would much prefer the constructive criticism that Todrael usually contributes rather than constant bootlicking by someone who you cant ever take seriously because of their fear of offending anyone, and most especially the Immortals.

However, if the post was intended to insinuate that the Immortals were doing nothing, I would agree that it is over the top, but it seemed to me the real complaint was the lack of feedback on the development board which some people like to see.

The line between constructive and disrespectful can easily be clouded in a forum where there are only words to represent the views being expressed.
Dakrish
Sojourner

Postby Dakrish » Fri Jan 11, 2002 7:09 pm

Nicely said Zrax Image

peACe oUt
gyrx
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Fri Jan 11, 2002 7:24 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dalar:
<B>Re: Todrael

From what i understand, the coders have many more projects than just elementalists. They code the eq procs that come in (GCD is around 200 lines and took almost a week). They code procs on mobs and add in other stuff. The faster people come forward with twinks, the more time coders can dedicate their time to coding elementalists.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats one damn slow coder.. From what I've seen of the gcd proc, it should take <1hour to code, test and polish by a reasonably decent programmer.
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Fri Jan 11, 2002 7:34 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jegzed:
<B> Thats one damn slow coder.. From what I've seen of the gcd proc, it should take <1hour to code, test and polish by a reasonably decent programmer.

That's not including the time spent in "meetings" discussing the implications of the procs, and then trying to come up with ways to balance it out, then actually testing it, realizing that
1) It's WAY out of balance
2) You're getting a syntax error in line 30981273409834 and you can't figure out where the hell the error is and you tear your hair out and fume and fuss and rant and rave.

I think most of that week must have been spent on smoke breaks and to run out and get coffee from 7-11 just to get your mind off it so you can come back and say "DOH! I'm a retard... I shoulda seen this in the beginning!"
Not like I've <cough, cough> EVER had nights like that...
<sigh>
I knew I shoulda bought stock in Jolt when I was younger...
I woulda paid my way thru college just by programming some more Image

------------------
Taegost, The one and ONLY STUPER DRUID(tm)

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 11, 2002 7:42 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zrax:
<B>If I was an admin I would much prefer the constructive criticism that Todrael usually contributes rather than constant bootlicking by someone who you cant ever take seriously because of their fear of offending anyone, and most especially the Immortals.

You're absolutely correct, Zrax. Just as flames, complaints and outright bitching gets ignored, so does brown nosing and butt kissing. Constructive critisism is always, and will always, be read. However, when you do so, do it in a tactful manner that you would like to be spoken to (Golden rule, anyone?). Speak your mind, absolutely, that's what the BBS is here for, but keep in mind that we do read it. No one here (gods and players alike) likes to be belittled or flamed. Sarcastic "this sucks" or "fix this ****ing thing NOW" posts will be ignored. Multiple posts of this type, and you won't be taken seriously at all. However, posts of "I've seen x, y, and z happen when I do a and b. Is this correct?" or "I don't agree with x and this is why...." will be read. While we may not necessarily agree with your ideas, we do read all of them. You can be tactful without ass kissing. Don't confuse the two.

I know many feel your banging your head against the wall at times. I sympathize. However, stoking the fires and dragging up old flame posts on here serve no purpose. If you think something has been forgotten or overlooked. Send a petition to one of us. Hell, send me a tell. We accidently overlook things from time to time (not large things like elementalists, but small changes). A gentle poke "Hey, did you forget about this?" online is better then a sledgehammer post "Where the hell is XXX?" on here. If you feel your idea or thread has been ignored, I can guarentee you it hasn't. If we don't implement it, and we don't give you a reason why, again, petition online and I, or SOMEONE, will be happy to explain why or find someone who CAN explain why.

To the topic at hand. I personally responded to Todrael's statement that is a blatent insult to those that literally work their butts off day in and out to help this game. Todrael has been a helpful and courteous player in the past and is a valuable addition to the MUD.

Again, nothing in this posts is directed at anyone in particular. If you want your ideas to be read and taken seriously, learn how to post constructive, thought out ideas and critisms. If you've never taken a class on how to write memos or formal requests, and plan on being anything above "fry cook", it's probably a good idea as well.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Fri Jan 11, 2002 8:57 pm

Well said Kia.

And for the record, the GCD proc was a 'training' proc, done by a new coder. I don't recall how long it took, but it's a bad barometer of how fast we work.

And as I said before, there are many considerations that have delayed Elementalists until now. It's not the coding time - I've done 3 mage classes to date, and I can pretty much write spells in my sleep. It's been more about 'When is the MUD ready for Elementalists?' than the other way around.

All that said, they WILL be in very soon. I do understand how frustrating it must be, and I thank you for your patience.

------------------
</B>
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Tue Jan 15, 2002 5:47 am

Shev et al:

While I understand, completely, real life factors and I also see that Tod was over the top, I can see where he is comming from.

Admitedly, the feedback we are getting now is a lot better than the feedback we used to get (none). It is, however, frusterating, even as a compter scientist who does have RL issues and understands what kinds of things can go on, to see the following:

Shev:
posted 05-31-2001: not much longer now

posted 07-10-2001: They'll be in just as soon as they can be, but I will NOT set a firm date.

posted 11-12-2001: Now that the time is finally drawing near...

posted 11-12-2001: Sure, within the next two weeks.

posted 11-27-2001: Elementalists are complete and undergoing final testing.

posted 12-03-2001: Due to a personal family crisis, I will be unable to finish elementalists for at least another week, maybe two.

posted 12-16-2001: No mage tweaks til Elementalists are in!

Please try to understand that we don't mean anything by it, we are just very frusterated. Particularly when so many things we consider essential to whether we can have fun in different situations (melee changes, little things like coldshield, &c) have been postponed until after they have been put in.

It is just frusteration speaking, that is all.

------------------
Elseenas of No House Worth Mentioning

[This message has been edited by Elseenas (edited 01-15-2002).]
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Jan 15, 2002 8:33 am

ummm sounds like shevarash is overcommitted and doing his best to make everyone happy. a good manager would free shev up to work on important projects by putting some projects on hold or getting additional human resources. maybe that is exactly what has happened, anyone consider that elementalists may not be the number one priority from the administrations point of view? Id assume shev is in some sort of director type position working on vision for the mud and managing some direct reports. When was the last time you saw your director (a real director not a titled one) do the equivalent of code and write areas?

also, we asked for more staff input on the boards and we got it for better or worse. It costs shev tons of time id assume, but it pacifies the players and helps keeps the bbs constructive. personally, I think its for the better.

and finally, give tod a break, he has made more constructive posts than anyone else here. that doesnt justify what he said, but thats not what I would consider his usual good form. the more you love something the more you can hate it.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Jan 15, 2002 9:01 am

1) They're in now, so this whole thread can now be considered moot, right? Image

2) I have no problem with Tod and he knows this...

Nuff said. Image
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Jan 15, 2002 12:01 pm

Hrmm

Todrael is tired on 1/9, on 1/15 Shev wakes up.

Corth (pondering the metaphysical significance of his observation)
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Wed Jan 16, 2002 5:20 am

Yes, it is true. I have previously decided to imp the class sometime in 2017, but this thread showed me the light!

Shevarash, tired.
Saraish Aderilix
Sojourner

Postby Saraish Aderilix » Wed Jan 16, 2002 9:31 pm

Really Shev was just waiting for me to get level 40.... Sorry for being so slow :P
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Jan 18, 2002 5:41 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shevarash:
<B>Yes, it is true. I have previously decided to imp the class sometime in 2017, but this thread showed me the light!

Shevarash, tired.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awesome. And in the meantime, you said in that other thread that you were going to look into the use of transport via plants in half-nature rooms?

Doh! :P

In re: Todrael, I believe he was just tired and frustrated, and his posts started to reflect that. He does post up a lot, but it's generally remarkably well thought out.

In general, I'm not sure we as a MUD need to analyze and dissect peoples' posting habits. Personally, Kia has given me dialogue to the effect that mine were getting rather sloppy, which upon reflection, I must agree with.

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”