Haste for rangers? Hate for rangers.

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Fri Feb 22, 2002 10:50 pm

Hate for rangers...threads like this are what cause that. :P (Not that I hate em or anything)

I would post something in sheer humor about warriors < rangers right now but this thread needs to die...a most horrible death... :P

Deathmagnet
xa
Sojourner

Postby xa » Sat Feb 23, 2002 8:29 am

yall are some angry mofos Image a big hug to all yall Image
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sat Feb 23, 2002 1:03 pm

Take it to 'em, Wae!

Wow, Malacar supporting a ranger upgrade. Will wonders never cease?

Nilan played a ranger before I even started playing sojourn. Not sure the same knowledge applies now Image

A thread about rangers getting haste that wasn't shot down from 13209472452502 directions in the first hour... this mud has advanced far more than I ever thought it would.

- Ragorn
Nilan
Sojourner

Postby Nilan » Sat Feb 23, 2002 5:24 pm

No Ragorn,

I had a ranger when archery went in for ranger too. So im not that ancient, unless you are too. Rangers having haste will unbalance the game. Haste should be a mage spell. If your giving rangers haste, why not haste rogues too, or give other classes barkskin or other type spells???

As I see it Rangers do not need haste. Beside you allready got the multi attack weapon Windsong. No other weapon does that. Heck No rogue weapon does that.

I think this thread needs to die now. End of comment...

Nilan
Taka
Sojourner

Postby Taka » Sun Feb 24, 2002 4:07 am

I'd like to make a few comment to some of the stuff I read here...

I remember in sojourn1, I saw some level 50 who did not knew that their home town (Waterdeep) had a south gate. So the level of the player is often not a good way to validate what he/she knows.

Ranger tanking? ROFL! I know some ranger who do a good job at rescuing, but if in zone, they better get rescued quickly or they will die. They only have ONE skill more then invoker to help them tank: parry (invoker has dodge I believe). If I was playing an invoker, I would prefer to get a cleric to tank then a ranger (at least for level 26+), as I know it would work much better.

Bash... when I want to kill a caster, I don't ask a ranger, I look for a warrior (or paladin, although some don't like to get off their horse). I sometime see ranger bash in zone, but this means the group lack warrior (it's interesting that warrior is the class that is required in largest number in zone, as well as being a must to kill most mob that have eq). And as some stated, if ranger is bashing, then no archery, and only 1 weapon so damage output is severly reduced.

And I agree that enchanter usualy don't have time to haste people in zone. I think making enchanter being THE haster at low-mid level is right and haste eq would just unbalance this. If necro were a must in zone then they could get their pet to do the hasting, but from what I've seen so far, most group dont try to get necros, they may not refuse one but they wont look for one.
Sszantiel
Sojourner

Postby Sszantiel » Sun Feb 24, 2002 7:38 am

I think it would be great to give rangers a type of "Bladesong" that they could quest for at later levels 41+ that would haste them while they sing in battle. Self only of course. Song is stutterable but gets better with use. Duration gets longer with use. Would look cool from a roleplay perspective and not unbalance anything after lv 41 I don't think.

/sszantiel
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Sun Feb 24, 2002 9:25 pm

The consensus is this thread must die NOW! Stop posting crap, no matter how reasonably thought out crap it is, cause it's pretty much already been said previously . . .

------------------
"Maybe I should stop and ask for directions . . ."
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Mon Feb 25, 2002 1:18 pm

Someone said...
3) If you've notched your skills and still don't see the point of rangers bashing nor rescuing, well F*** you then...

.....um so your saying ranger should get dscales aswell? since they have the least hitpoints would be pretty keen to rescue in a zone where rescuing actually happens. Having grouped with many a fine ranger I would prolly thank them for the rescue and apol for their timely death since I had double the hitpoints, and maybe comfort mr tree man for missing my rescue if he about *duck*.. I suppose a ranger could bash if you doing three man exp...tho that doesn't really have much to do with haste huh?

Who said that missile shield should be nuked?....this got me thinking, an excellent solution would be to make dispel magic work a bit more on mob, say 30 - 50 % of time, this way the ranger could use their util that they have, and then smite in a lot more situations? A 10th circle haste I honestly couldn't see hurting, this is a lvl 46 ranger we are talking about from that outset... It takes a bit for a ranger to mem a 10th also I would think?

Safe travels Image
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Feb 27, 2002 3:07 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zrax:
If a ranger whines in the woods does anyone hear him?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

omg rolling. thank you zrax
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Wed Feb 27, 2002 3:28 pm

Blade singing should be an "ELF" warrior thing, not a ranger thing.
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Wed Feb 27, 2002 3:32 pm

I thought bladesinging was the ability to cast combat magic while fighting hand to hand, i didnt think there was any actual singing involved, and if my description is accurate our bow shooting, blade swinging, lightning bolt casting friends are by definition bladesingers already.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Feb 27, 2002 3:36 pm

I don't see much problem with giving rangers haste at level 46. As for Nilan's statement about there being no rogue weapons that give extra attacks.. there is one that I can think of.

Yayaril
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Thu Feb 28, 2002 7:43 pm

Bladesinging refers to both an elven style of weapon based martial art, and said style merged with the use of arcane magic on the front lines of combat. No singing required, just moving a weapon so quickly that it makes whistling sounds through the air. Some bladesingers do choose to sing or chant while they fight though, similar to the skald kit for bards in 2nd edition. Oh, and lots and lots of training required, say about a few decades or so.

------------------
"Maybe I should stop and ask for directions . . ."

[This message has been edited by Treladian (edited 02-28-2002).]

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”