Minor disarm thing

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Vandic
Sojourner

Minor disarm thing

Postby Vandic » Tue Mar 05, 2002 2:00 am

Might've been addressed before, but blinded mobs can still pick up weapons when I disarm them...can't wield them though.
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Tue Mar 05, 2002 4:27 pm

I've observed the following with the way disarm works:

1) You get some lame-ass message about the mob being 'too large for you to try that trick'. You then scream at the monitor and pull out all of your hair in frustration and you helplessly watch your group-mates get raped by the flaming vorpal whip of instant-kill that the icky mob has.

2) You fail horribly in the disarm attempt and drop your own weapon (you suck!).

3) You fail to disarm the weapon and have to wait several rounds to try again (this was bugged earlier and you had to wait like a mud day to try again but they fixed it).

4) You succeed in disarmig the weapon but are unable to reach it in time and the mob picks it up and wields it fairly soon after you initially disarm it.

5) You succeed in disarming the weapon but are unable to get it in time and after 2 or three rounds and the mob 'extends his hand and grabs a hold on the weapon. At this point, the weapon remains in the inventoy but not wielded. This is both good and bad in that you can't get the weapon again until you kill the mob but at least he isn't using it.

6) You succeed in disarming the weapon and when you try to pick it up, the mob bashes you (yucky!)

7) And finally, my favorite: You succeed in disarming the mob and you succeed in picking up the weapon. Feel free to shout any taunts to the mob once you get the weapon - the gods love that!

------------------
Nokie 'No you don't!! That belongs to me!' Quickfingers

[This message has been edited by Nokie (edited 03-05-2002).]
combatmedic
Sojourner

Postby combatmedic » Wed Mar 06, 2002 1:17 am

ya forgot that you fail to disarm, and lose control of your own weapon. then the mob sits back and lafs at ya as you juggle your super uber flaming sword of whatever that was cursed to start with, cause you look like a cheerleader with a baton...

Question: why is it that you can drop a cursed weapon when you disarm? "Aram disarms Aram"
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Wed Mar 06, 2002 12:12 pm

Because when you mess up its the mob knocking your weapon away. Curse is great, but it is not the all powerful fix everything spell let lets you try to disarm without any penalty of losing your weapon at all.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Mar 06, 2002 2:22 pm

But it is damn silly that you cant drop the weapon when you want to, but you can when you dont want to?! You cant even put it in a sack! Seems kinda rediculous to me...I say, if you can drop a cursed weapon during a failed disarm, then you should be able to drop/put it in your sack by yourself, just not be able to fumble...

Kifle
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Wed Mar 06, 2002 3:31 pm

Give me a break Kifle.

Curse is a good thing on a weapon not a bad thing. If you think it sucks you can't put it into a bag, then I say, have the gods remove curse on all items, and see how many people bitch when they lose their weapons over water and crap.

Seems to me, people want to have their cake and eat it tooo..
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Mar 06, 2002 8:34 pm

torins and rockcrusher are float...i dunno what all yer problem is with float weapons>?!
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Mar 06, 2002 8:59 pm

Float doesn't help in !ground areas.

::taunt::

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 06, 2002 9:09 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ashiwi:
<B>Float doesn't help in !ground areas.

::taunt::</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure it does. Magical floating items float just fine in no ground rooms.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Mar 06, 2002 9:25 pm

Well darnit, I never thought they did. I guess I've never dropped one in a !ground room.

:: ponder::

[This message has been edited by Ashiwi (edited 03-06-2002).]
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Wed Mar 06, 2002 9:53 pm

< 523h/523H 167p/167P 123v/125V >
<> i
You are carrying:
a wooden spear (magic)
a wooden spear
a partially eaten a goodberry (magic)
a slender elven longbow
[2] a sturdy leather spellbook (magic)
a buckskin pack
a bottomless bag of the Tinkers (magic)
a huge, drinking flagon (magic)

< 523h/523H 167p/167P 123v/125V >
<> drop spear
You drop a wooden spear.

< 523h/523H 167p/167P 125v/125V >
<> drop spear
You drop a wooden spear.
A wooden spear drops from sight.

<> g spear
You get a wooden spear.

<>

As Kia said, it's only if they're both float and magic that they won't drop in a !ground room with no down exit. Just float won't do it.

------------------
"Maybe I should stop and ask for directions . . ."
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Thu Mar 07, 2002 9:05 am

Look at it this way. Cursed weapons are cursed so that you cant physicaly let go of it. Someone knocking it out of your hand is something different. Cursed weapons also suffer penalties now I think...
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Mar 08, 2002 9:08 am

The spell is called "curse" not "mordenkainen's universal solvent" Image A curse is a bad thing Image

- Ragorn
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Mar 08, 2002 11:58 am

weapons that are "cursed" are flagged !drop not cursed ragorn. there is a difference.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Mar 08, 2002 12:25 pm

okie, so you are telling me that a !drop weapon, objective word being NOdrop, can be dropped?! That is what I see being rediculous. So I really have a valid argument when it comes to a cursed weapon being dropped during a disarm. If it was truely !drop then it would NEVER drop, not just when you fumble, because what is disarm really?! it is somebody making you FUMBLE your weapon and then it DROPS to the ground.
!drop on a weapon and the penalties from disarm are very contradictory.

Kifle
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Fri Mar 08, 2002 2:37 pm

I think your point is Invalid Kifle.

The !nodrop has always worked this way and for the reason to give you a disadvantage when trying to disarm. Otherwise you have no risk of losing your weapon.

And the !drop flag is based on a weapon being cursed. When you create a weapon the is cursed (!drop) in TE it does not suffer a penalty.

When you curse your weapon with the spell to make it !drop. It loses 1 die damage, so a 6d6 weapon become a 6d5 weapon.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Mar 08, 2002 4:50 pm

cursed items were in some games more along the lines of you dont want to put them down, not that you couldnt.

i still hate that you can fumble / drop valuable eq on a regular basis.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Mar 08, 2002 7:22 pm

OMG, jesus illshad, do you have to contradict everthing I post? It is pure logic here, !drop is !drop meaning you DONT drop and CANT drop the item. Whether or not it is implimented in the games as being such does not really matter to the validity of the argument. It is valid because !drop means just that, you CAN NOT DROP THE ITEM! And my beef is that you CAN drop a NO drop item when it is a punishment type occurance. Whether it is implimented in the game to balance things or not it IS contradictory to the idea of something being cursed to you and/or being !drop. So, therefor, my argument has validity. Stop harrassing me for christ sake...

Kifle
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Fri Mar 08, 2002 8:47 pm

Kifle's point IS valid.

Supporting game balance over realism is always bad IMO.

The problem is, the idea behind cursed items is completely lost in the game. In the history of RPG's cursed items have been things you wanted to get rid of, something that had a bad effect on you and you had to have remove curse.

Here it just gets rid of the hassle of fumbling.

If cursed items were truly cursed, and people wanted to get rid of them, then it could be abused from the other side, ie: disarming until you fumbled the cursed item.

------------------
Ensis Inferni
Bish Enterprises Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Copyright 1999 Fydollaho Productions.
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Fri Mar 08, 2002 8:49 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kifle:
<B>OMG, jesus illshad, do you have to contradict everthing I post? It is pure logic here, !drop is !drop meaning you DONT drop and CANT drop the item. Whether or not it is implimented in the games as being such does not really matter to the validity of the argument. It is valid because !drop means just that, you CAN NOT DROP THE ITEM! And my beef is that you CAN drop a NO drop item when it is a punishment type occurance. Whether it is implimented in the game to balance things or not it IS contradictory to the idea of something being cursed to you and/or being !drop. So, therefor, my argument has validity. Stop harrassing me for christ sake...

Kifle</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are there !drop weapons/items that aren't cursed?
If there are, will remove curse cause them to drop, like it does with cursed !drop items?
I do understand your point, and I agree with you, but I agree with the opposing point, and it is the one that I feel is right in this instance.
Why make curse the end-all be-all? Everything else in the MUD is either "balanced" or "being balanced", and I think that is a good step towards balance.

------------------
Taegost L'Mirrahn - STUPER DRUID(tm)
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Sat Mar 09, 2002 8:06 pm

"Are there !drop weapons/items that aren't cursed?
If there are, will remove curse cause them to drop, like it does with cursed !drop items?"

Yes on both accounts. Many weapons come flagged !drop. Remove curse only removes the !drop flag from an item. The mud makes no real distinction between items that are !drop by nature and ones that have been cursed by spell.

------------------
"Maybe I should stop and ask for directions . . ."
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Mon Mar 11, 2002 7:26 pm

Just because an item is !drop doesn't mean it can't be taken from you. Not sure about the code, but if your hand is "removed" the weapon would go with it... who's to say when we're at Nasty wounds, we aren't in that kind of shape? Just an example btw. I would say that if you attempt a disarm and they successfully defend against it to such a degree, they are in fact knocking it from your grasp, even if it were something like hitting a nerve plexus so your hand goes numb.

Just IMHO, I wouldn't mind not being able to lose a weapon, but it would engender people twinking the disarm skill.

Toplack * doesn't even wield a weapon * Frostbear
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Mon Mar 11, 2002 7:42 pm

Hi Kifle! Image

!drop does not just mean !drop. !drop means under normal circumstances the !drop item would not leave your grasp. But when you are trying to do some fancy manuvering with your weapon to disarm another person's weapon and you get slapped in the hand with its weapon, your weapon is going to end on the floor.

I could see it your way perhaps if Lloth ever finish the EGO code. Then wouldn't it be fun, with your weapon trying to control you as your HPS got lower? Preventing you from fleeing a fight, or making you switch to different mobs in the room, refusing to allow you to rescue, making you go beserk, ect ect... Then sure, there would be some sort of balance for not having any chance on your dropping your weapon, the weapon would never want to leave it's pets hand anyway.

Ilshad
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Tue Mar 12, 2002 2:29 pm

Ooohhh, Killer concept Ilshad, literally!

Toplack

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”