Bags burnt /frozen etc idea

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Bags burnt /frozen etc idea

Postby Zoldren » Tue May 07, 2002 7:32 pm

ok pink this......

if your corpse is "eatten" your eq is still there either on ground or on mob...

if your bag burns Y does all your eq burn too? should the eq not fall on the ground or in your inventory?...

if i break a cookie jar and the glass breaks... does that mean all the cookies will break? no it doesnt... maybe nobody thought of this or didnt like this idea..

but burnt bags should mean eq on grounds
pinkys opinoin
Dulzuth
Sojourner

Postby Dulzuth » Tue May 07, 2002 7:37 pm

Well how about when you lose a bag, there's a low chance (5% or so) that each item in the bag is burned as well.. The rest just drop to the ground, and if it's a water room then bye eq Image

------------------
Verzul / Dulzuth - Jabbuk D'faer - Orbdrin D'oloth
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Tue May 07, 2002 8:32 pm

No no no

While bags burning suck, the whole pointis the are delicate magic items. The store stuff 'elsewhere' and act a a small portal to the other place. If the bags are destroyed, the objects 'elsewhere' are unretrievable.

And the total loss of EQ makes the tinker worth 7500+

------------------
emote Rescuepractice
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Tue May 07, 2002 9:48 pm

1) only some magical bags "portal" what you put in them to other places/dimensions.... other are made to hld more...

2) what about regular bags? like backpacks... you burn ur backpack you lost everything that is "elsewhere" as you put it?
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Tue May 07, 2002 9:49 pm

Think of your container as a 'pointer' to some memory location with all of the stuff (data) inside.

When you lose your bag, the pointer is deleted and there is no longer a way to referrence your stuff unless you made a copy of the pointer.

------------------
Nokie 'No you don't!! That belongs to me!' Quickfingers
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Tue May 07, 2002 9:50 pm

Nokie trying to say the coders cant handle it? :P
muma
Sojourner

Postby muma » Tue May 07, 2002 9:59 pm

Why don't we just get rid of the burning of bags! and make it so that only the eq you're wearing can burn.

------------------
Leah A. W.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed May 08, 2002 7:04 am

why dont we imp real eq sinks or remove them.

whats the point of dragon breath destroying eq (and lets not even talk about how its 99% of the time a bag full of eq).

is it so groups have to cast prots?
we'd do it anyways to take less dam.

is it so people can't solo dragons unless they can self-prot?
wear prot eq

is it to make prot flags more important on eq?
um ok, but lets not see things go the way of frost giant crown/seashell necklaces (!summon) and deep dragon amulets (all-prot)

is it to justify tinker bag cost?
so when everyone has a tinker bag then what? when buying a tinker bag is akin to #100 buy jerky;put jerky sack then what? cost is relative

is it to pull eq out of the game?
so your plan for an eq sink is to take it out on the poorest and most noobish by occasionally destroy large portions of their utility eq and quest eq? come on, you can come up with a better implementation if you just try.

is it because some god/coder thought it'd be cool if dragon breath destroyed eq drummed up some support and impd it?

very likely.

and im not going to comment on my recent experience of losing two separate bags in the same rather short fight. or dragons recent fascination with casting pris (i notice wraith form mages didn't seem to learn this trick, they still just cloud) or the seemingly recent increase in the poof percentages (whether by direct manipulation or side effect).
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Wed May 08, 2002 7:09 am

I like breath destroying equipment..
It weeds out the weak and lets the strong survive Image

/Jegzed who've lost bagS to breath before Image
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Wed May 08, 2002 11:12 am

Just be happy they didn't IMP the damaging of eq. They were going to make if where you would have had to repair your eq all the time, or it would bedestroyed. Only a few items would have been indestructable, i.e. end epic quest items.

------------------
Ilshad

"Your accomplishment is nothing compared to the glory that is Ilshadrial!!" Yayaril
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Wed May 08, 2002 11:18 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ilshadrial:
<B>Just be happy they didn't IMP the damaging of eq. They were going to make if where you would have had to repair your eq all the time, or it would bedestroyed. Only a few items would have been indestructable, i.e. end epic quest items.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats the NO.1 reason I quit playing basternae.

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed May 08, 2002 1:05 pm

There are a lot of other things they could do... I'd take this over any of the other scenarios I know, any day.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed May 08, 2002 1:55 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ilshadrial:
<B>Just be happy they didn't IMP the damaging of eq. They were going to make if where you would have had to repair your eq all the time, or it would bedestroyed. Only a few items would have been indestructable, i.e. end epic quest items.

agree with jegzed, one of my most hated features on a prior solo mud.

i still think that the current way eq loss is coded is lame, either imp a real eq sink or please take this misc eq loss crap out. why is it always the bag? or is this just how it seems.

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 05-08-2002).]
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed May 08, 2002 2:37 pm

It's just how it seems because I'm pretty sure that items in your inventory are at a higher risk than the ones worn.
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Wed May 08, 2002 3:03 pm

I believe its any item in inventory that's at risk. As to bags and contents poofing, Dragon breath is magical fire, think the "tasers" from Starship Troopers, just dissolves stuff, virtually no matter what it is.

As to it just taking it out on the "noobs" and the "poor". I must disagree. How many newbies get into dragon fights? Not many. If you're not smart enough, or don't have enough foresight to prepare for it by putting much of your spare stuff/quest stuff on storage, learn your lesson from the poof, and do it next time. If getting a !burn bag is beyond your comprehension, just keep having the lesson of bags going poof presented to you.

Remember the 7 p's. Proper Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Life presents you with lessons, when you learn one, you can proceed to the next. Until you learn a lesson, life continues to present it to you.

Could the code be different, sure, but dragons are, after all DRAGONS! They're supposed to be tough to fight, somewhat unpredictable, doing things that would make them more likely to win fight (they're supposed to be wicked sick wise/intelligent remember). I think its fine as it is. If you learn life's lessons, your losses will be minimal if at all, if not, well, the lesson will repeat for those of you that missed it.

IMHO

Toplack Frostbear

The horse is dead, long live the horse.

------------------
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Wed May 08, 2002 3:07 pm

It is not just inventory items, it is all items. My wife has lost a headband of 1k Eyes to jabber before, and that's not an inventory item. Image

Sylvos
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Wed May 08, 2002 3:12 pm

I agree have prots... but when u get dispeled. or whatever reason dont have prots.... and bag is burned/froze whatever... should not destroy all stuff in bag, it should "appear" in inv or floor
Pinks Opinion... just like when your backpack RL rips and breaks from abuse..oldage... u dont lose all ur books... just the bag
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed May 08, 2002 3:18 pm

Well yes, but think about it... magical dragon's breath just roasted the container around all those items, which pretty much indicates a direct hit on the bag... shouldn't the items inside suffer, as well?

If I covered my purse in some nasty highly flammable substance and set it on fire, I wouldn't expect everything inside it to go unscathed, and dragon's breath is supposed to be much more destructive than that.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Wed May 08, 2002 3:20 pm

Ok if they items didnt fall out when bag was being disentegrated.... then give them a save or chance at it.. ones that make it @ground ones that dont poof...gives a little more flexibility, does not take away from dragons umber ness and you have a chance of not losing over a years worth of eq....
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Wed May 08, 2002 6:58 pm

The problem here is dragons dispelling prots. When they do that, theres a good chance that you wont notice in the spam of a dragon battle (very spammy now with buffet, breath, etc) and even if you do, you can still get nailed with breath before you can do anything.

What do you do?

Have prots fall slowly after being dispelled. Just like elemental embodiments after they get dispelled. You get a few seconds till the next tick. Maybe even extend it a few more seconds. That way you can keep checking and notice when theyre falling and get one up?

------------------
Izarek / Raevithar / Fyzzlroo
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed May 08, 2002 8:09 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gort:
<B>
As to it just taking it out on the "noobs" and the "poor". I must disagree. How many newbies get into dragon fights? Not many. If you're not smart enough, or don't have enough foresight to prepare for it by putting much of your spare stuff/quest stuff on storage, learn your lesson from the poof, and do it next time. If getting a !burn bag is beyond your comprehension, just keep having the lesson of bags going poof presented to you.

Remember the 7 p's. Proper Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

The horse is dead, long live the horse.

Bahahaha! Seriously tho, I bet you've never had to explain to a n00b that ran into a dragon why they don't have all their gear, and no, you didn't leave any of it when you CR'd them...

I know! Imp a "help dragon"!

------------------
Imis tells you 'everyone has a spank now and then'

Postby Guest » Wed May 08, 2002 9:05 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moritheil:
<B>I know! Imp a "help dragon"!

help dragon
"DRAGON BREATH" BREATH

The breath weapon of dragons and other creatures is notorious for
its potency and lethality. Adventurers have told stories of their
armor and possessions crumbling to dust before their very eyes because
of the exposure to the intense heat, cold, or acid.

Dragon breath has a chance to corrode, burn, or freeze equipment in
inventory or that is worn if proper precautions are not taken. Side
effects OTHER THAN straight damage will also occur if certain
enchantments are effecting the player.
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Wed May 08, 2002 9:11 pm

I like it Kia, its a keeper!

Toplack

------------------

Postby Guest » Wed May 08, 2002 9:12 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gort:
<B>I like it Kia, its a keeper!

Toplack

It's been there for about 3 years :P
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu May 09, 2002 4:04 am

as for noobs i dont mean the idiot that walks up to a dragon and types kill dragon.

its the people who are exploring and find the giant slug on accident, run into a agro breather, walk through malice room after someone woke him up. the ones who dont know about !burn and find out the hard way.

as for losing things other than bags, it seems to be very very rare. ie 99% of the time its your bag. and i think bags are at a much higher risk than anything else. i had two bags and a barrel in my inventory got into a small scrap with a plow dragon, had a barrel afterwards. perhaps its just perception, perhaps its just people dont bitch/whine about losing one piece of eq. how many yall lost eq other than a bag to breath? i really dont think its equal probability, so id like to ask what is the rationale for bags poofing rather often compared to other eq. its not like we would holding our bags out in front of the dragon to stop the dragon breath. that would be a shield not bag.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu May 09, 2002 6:06 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zoldren:
<B>ok pink this......

if your corpse is "eatten" your eq is still there either on ground or on mob...

if your bag burns Y does all your eq burn too? should the eq not fall on the ground or in your inventory?...

if i break a cookie jar and the glass breaks... does that mean all the cookies will break? no it doesnt... maybe nobody thought of this or didnt like this idea..

but burnt bags should mean eq on grounds
pinkys opinoin </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

rofl, go imperial Image dragon form anyone?
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Thu May 09, 2002 12:13 pm

I knew it sounded familiar! lol

Oh I have lost 1 bp from ghore, 1 ration, 1 spell book, 1 squid bag, 1 tattered sack

okok but sack was in squid bag :P
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Fri May 17, 2002 9:58 pm

<> "DISPEL MAGIC"
Spell.

Area of effect: <victim>
Aggressive: Yes
Cumulative: Yes
Duration: Instantaneous
Class/Circle: Conjurer 3rd, Enchanter/Illusionist/Invoker 4th,
Necromancer/Cleric/Druid 5th, Shaman 6tth,
Anti-Paladin/Ranger/Paladin 7th
Type of spell: Enchantment

If successful, this spell will dispel some of the spells (if any)
surrounding the victim.

<> DECAY
General Information.

After a set amount of time all corpses will decay. Corpses of NPCs will
decay and leave the equipment scattered on the floor. After a crash or
reboot, these corpses are not loaded. Corpses of players will decay in
time following a death. The equipment will also be scattered on the
ground. So, following a death, it is important to retrieve your corpse
in a timely manner. Corpses of players will load after a reboot or crash.
Player corpses currently decay after approximately 2 real life hours. The
decay time is reset if the game reboots or crashes before the corpse has
decayed.

See also: REBOOT CRASH DEATH PRESERVE

so dragons can dispel "some" of our spells, just happens to always be greater..

if we had any pff items inside a poofed bag, say from fire, ya for sure they would have been destroyed too...
Jorus
Sojourner

Postby Jorus » Tue May 21, 2002 9:08 am

I don't know what this fixation is.

Entirely adequate noburn flagged bags with moderate amounts held weightless can be purchased for under 1k.

I see no reason for everyone not to have one of these before they go zoning.

Regards,
Jorus
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri May 24, 2002 4:42 pm

hmm well, i stated somewhere that i had rarely seen eq poof to breath weapons.... until today. guess sszantiel lost ogre hides, ringmail, nightshade, and something else that i dont remember cause he forgot to get grp'd after being ressed. insane. i don't ever remember eq burning up like this in the past. much like i dont remember nearly as many bags poofing till the recent past. its very interesting.

eq should not poof. how long will it take to replace 3 highly sought pieces of eq from a zone...

so i guess all prots is the new holy grail with every zone seemingly having a dragon. sigh. poor snakes, they got to do it in 4 less slots too.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri May 24, 2002 7:24 pm

whoa, perfect idea for snake upgrade!

Give them prots :P Maybe prot fire or prot acid or prot gas or something... permanent, as long as they quest it.

Have the quest mob enchant the scales that line their bodies.

------------------
Zaryn group-says 'If we can para the mages again. Mori's trick is going to save us.'
<> You group-say 'zaryn the "mori save us" irony is not lost on me'
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat May 25, 2002 2:37 am

nod its an interesting idea.
Gura
Sojourner

Postby Gura » Tue May 28, 2002 1:55 am

ok here's my comment,

i think zoldren has a point sorta...not all objects in your container shouldnt be poofed by dragon breath. say i have a pair of dragonhide leggings sitting in my bag which is pr-acid...now a dragon comes along and breathes acid on me and burns my bag..what happened to the pr-acid leggings that was in there? Why would they get poofed automatically despite their immunity from acid?

Jegzed for President

------------------
-Gura Crush Head
Nekler BlazingWolf
Sojourner

Postby Nekler BlazingWolf » Tue May 28, 2002 2:12 am

Only thing I can see as to why everything in a bag poofs is because the bag uses magic to hold more then it really should. When the bag is destroyed, that magic space is also destroyed, therefore the stuff in it is destroyed.

Should make magic bags only, do this. Normal !magic bags should have some kinda save for the prot, !burn, and other gear inside. Would take a lot of checks and such though prolly.
*shrug*
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Tue May 28, 2002 2:16 am

Exactly Gura, your finaly catching up mentaly to the pink! :P

Nekler, same thing was said earlier I believe.

Not all magic bags are magic because they can hold more. Magic can be anything from it is blessed, to having prots, to holding more, to all of thee above.
Sszantiel
Sojourner

Postby Sszantiel » Tue May 28, 2002 4:54 am

"guess sszantiel lost ogre hides, ringmail, nightshade, and something else that i dont remember cause he forgot to get grp'd after being ressed. insane."

Nods, I remembered to get GRP'd after the first 5 deaths but on the 6th death I was so excited to finish the dragon I ran in without pleading for GRP and poof went 4 of my best items. Needless to say, I am ditching HP eq for prot eq from now on. Maybe this is what is intended by the staff?

/sszan
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue May 28, 2002 8:45 am

some bags magically reduce the items that are put in it.

how exactly does a raft fit through the opening of a tinker bag?
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Tue May 28, 2002 11:12 am

I beleive the "point" of dragon breath destroying eq is: a cool aspect to the fantasy game, which adds further elements of risk, foresight, planning & fun to the game.

The way it is, us players really should have little excuse for not having any valuable/important quest items either in a !burn bag or not on you when there's a risk of running into dragon breath.

I also beleive the occasional item nuke from situations as described in this thread happens to be one cool, yet small part of eq control in the game.

As for when a !burn bag gets nuked, I think all the items should not arbitrarily instantly be destroyed with it, if possible.
Each item inside should have some save calc, and either get nuked, or fall to the ground, with those flagged !burn arbitrarily falling to the ground.
However; weather or not the coding for this would be easy, or worthwhile for the time being whilst the coders work on bards, menzo(?), range, new zones, & general tweaks, is debatable.

Some interesting points put forward in the thread!

------------------
Mogr -=BloodSeeker=-
Beer. More Beer.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Tue May 28, 2002 12:10 pm

The way it is, us players really should have little excuse for not having any valuable/important quest items either in a !burn bag or not on you when there's a risk of running into dragon breath.

so what are we supposed to do? drop our bag on the ground? give it to a friend? put on an alt? which is not very "game relistic" ie doesnt go w/the game. that is your only options other than having all prots... so what would you say to do then?
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Tue May 28, 2002 2:42 pm

Eq Storage Facility in HT's, cost per item per mud day is 2c lets say. You put yer eq in storage, pay a down payment, then when you go to recieve it, you have to pay what you owe to get it back. And if the eq is sitting in the storage facility for more than 1 or 2 rl months, it goes up for auction at the BG auction house, starting bids at 1c! *nog me*
I mean seriously. If I knew I was heading out to fight a dragon, I honestly would NOT want to take all my spare stuff I got just sitting in the bag. I would take only what I needed to get the job done. If you don't like leaving eq on an alt for atmosphere or rp reasons, how about the idea above?

Galkar - Work is boring -

BAH! Delete RP, Insert "game realistic"
------------------

[This message has been edited by Galkar (edited 05-28-2002).]
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Tue May 28, 2002 2:45 pm

well my last point is just this..

if you are going to say that dragons are badass eat you and your eq is RP

how are you saying that its also rp to either have prots or leave your eq on an alt?

*points to Gura's post*
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue May 28, 2002 4:47 pm

omg, we fight dragons constantly every day. every zone has a dragon lets count the zones without dragons or mobs that "breath" since counting the other would be ridiculously long.

brass, SG, nizari, um2, astral (kinda), gith, 1k headband, tf zonelet, roots.

folks are also questing constantly. put it all offline every time you might fight a dragon? heh youll be running to inn at the begginning of every zone or every time you want to "quest." a !burn bag is really the best solution, but losing eq is still very very harsh and a bag is worse.

why was rot time changed from 2 hours to 40 then to 18? cause folks didnt want to cr into the wee hours of morning and miss/fuck up rl committments. why did they feel compelled to stay up to do these crs and fuck up rl? cause of the eq. now explain to me why your protecting us from losing eq to rot/reboot but not dragon breath. yes i realize there is a difference, but what was the root of the problem; people losing eq. why didnt we just tell people to not zone as the solution to this problem? or dont zone late at night, or dont zone when theres not gonna be anyone on to cr you? instead we changed the mud to prevent folks from losing eq. now, lets make another change.

maybe dragon breath could have a high chance to insta kill you if your not properly protected. I'm sure many would much rather have that happen then lose a bag or any piece of eq they are wearing.

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 05-28-2002).]
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Tue May 28, 2002 5:21 pm

So you guys out there with 100+ items in each of 3 different bags are constantly using every item? There's absolutely nothing in those bags that you don't need every second of every hour you mud? Or in every zone you do? What about those quests that require like 50 items? You get all those in one shot without ever zoning in between for stuff?

What I'm talking about is minimizing the losses. :P

Your last statement though would upgrade cleric popularity quite a bit I imagine.... hmmmmm.

------------------
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed May 29, 2002 6:43 am

obviously you can minimize your losses. if you had a !burn bag or all prot you could carry around 5000 items and never take a loss.

putting all your shit off line is rather inconveient. and before you start calling that a whine and saying its more inconveient to lose them, consider how much utility gear that is smart to carry around. SS, ac, hit roll, dam roll, hp, proc weapons (gythka, smasher, twilight, frostbringer, 2h blind, ebony, 1h damage), svb, invis cloaks, hide cloaks, potions, prot gear, wb, fly, levitate, max int, max wis, max str... i could go on, should we keep all that gear off line too? most people probably have at least 30 pieces of utility gear. really the quest gear is the only part that is arguable that you should have off line.

i dont want to discuss whether you should have that much gear on your person or not. the biggest thing is why do we take precautions to keep eq from being destroyed, then imp and increase other ways? one piece of eq can represent hours to days worth of work. it should not poof. Its an extremely heinious penalty, affects those who do not have access to uber eq more, and dragons are FAR too common if this is how its going to be.

if your intent truly was to force us to wear prot gear, or give us incentive to wear prot gear, this was not a great way to imp itimo. yes, it is the most compelling reason i can think of, but at what cost. insta kill or quadruple damage would've been a damn good reason to wear prot gear, without the truly disappointing effect that losing eq has on 99% of people. please reconsider. losing eq is !fun.

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 05-29-2002).]
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed May 29, 2002 7:25 am

Breathing mobs in new zones should be carefully scrutinized. It's true that there are a tad too many dragons out there, it gets pretty bland to find yet another breathing dragon boss.

But it's still your own responsibility to ensure you maximize your chances against losing eq.

------------------
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed May 29, 2002 11:20 am

posted in new thread

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 05-29-2002).]

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”