Bug in mob spellcasting?

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Jorus
Sojourner

Bug in mob spellcasting?

Postby Jorus » Tue Jun 18, 2002 2:19 pm

Scenario:

(dark, swampy night, howls of some unknown beast echo from the brooding tower nearby)

Innocent elven enchanter is attacked by big meanie necomancer while exploring the local swamp. The necromancer begins casting a horrible sounding spell, so the enchanter wisely executes a strategic retreat. Moments later, the enchanter returns, prepared to school the mean necromancer in how to cast REAL magic. But alas, the necromancer only appeared to have abortively completed his spell. For the necromancer held his magicks in check, blasting the poor innocent little elf into oblivion upon his return to the place of conflict.

But seriously, it seems that:

a) Mob qc on offensive spells when not in combat is somehow extended (perhaps similar to the bash-recovery "bug" warriors have suffered through forever?) after a PC flees. Normaly quick spells (Beltyn's burning blood) seem to take an extended period if one flees (note, I havn't verified this to the second or anything). Either *'s are being consumed slower, or QC checks are being skipped, or I'm on some good drugs!

b) Mob and PC aborting of spells when the target is no longer available occurs differently. For PC's, when your target dies or leaves the room, the offensive spell aborts within instants (the next * usually). But with mobs, I have seen the same take seconds.

Now, I realize this does give mobs some protection from certain PC strategies, but umm, is it intended, or a "feature"? Also, it might be nice to give PC's this same behaviour, if it isn't determined to be a mob-bug, as it would protect PC's against some mob strategies (surprisingly similar to the PC strategies that the "bug" protects mobs against :P)

Regards,
Jorus
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:33 am

my guess is mob offensive spells arent being processed when the pc is not in the room.
Jorus
Sojourner

Postby Jorus » Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:50 am

It's possible. They do end their spells, eventually though.

It just seems much longer than usual.

Regards,
Jorus
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:58 am

when you leave the room, the mob might say "wait, who am i casting this at?" much like the no target message pc's tend to get. however, when the mob gets that message, it might have a delay associated with it, as well as a 'retry' tag.

------------------
-Daz Proudwolf, Tapestry Pirate
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
FS: All my irrelevant psychology textbooks.
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Wed Jun 19, 2002 3:48 am

It's been like this for as long as I can remember. I think. Then again, I can't remember what I had for breakfast.

- Grungar "When do I begin to start...?" Forgefire
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Wed Jun 19, 2002 3:18 pm

It was beer Grungar.

------------------
Rausrh licks you.
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Wed Jun 19, 2002 4:26 pm

'Drinkin beer for breakfast makes the whole day painless.'

- The Pietasters, Wasted

Must have been. =D

- Grungar "Amberbock goes oh so well with pizza on those days where you wake at the crack of noon" Forgefire
combatmedic
Sojourner

Postby combatmedic » Wed Jun 19, 2002 8:13 pm

Beer with Wheaties!~ The breakfast of champions! =]

------------------
"Incoming force missles have the right of way!"

Dalen the super paly.
Aram the novice paly.

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”