Blind: most useless spell

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Jols
Sojourner

Blind: most useless spell

Postby Jols » Sun Jun 30, 2002 1:23 am

This spell is just horrible now. On previous wipes it didn't land 99% of the time but at least it landed usually 1 out of 2 times. Now it takes 5 attempts just to get one to land. It also seems to last a lot less longer and doesn't seem as effective. This spell is one of the few spells a cleric gets that actually makes them be able to solo but now it is so useless and unreliable. You don't have to make it uber, just make it useful.

Thank you,
Jols

------------------

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 30, 2002 1:40 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jols:
<B>This spell is just horrible now. On previous wipes it didn't land 99% of the time but at least it landed usually 1 out of 2 times. Now it takes 5 attempts just to get one to land. It also seems to last a lot less longer and doesn't seem as effective. This spell is one of the few spells a cleric gets that actually makes them be able to solo but now it is so useless and unreliable. You don't have to make it uber, just make it useful.

Thank you,
Jols

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, this spell hasn't been touched, it lands at the same rate it always has. Note also that the cleric spell curse has been changed, so that it makes it harder for mobs to resist spells. Try them in combination, you'll like it.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sun Jun 30, 2002 2:57 am

its hardly the most useless spell. That would be command undead.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sun Jun 30, 2002 2:57 am

Just the duration really sucks for cleric blind.. I see 2 min at the most, and thats at level 50 with max skill.
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Sun Jun 30, 2002 2:58 am

The duration on blind, not the hit rate, is what is in need of improvement. I am lucky if I can get one and a half minutes out of a blind spell, cast by a level 41 cleric. Rylan has mentioned he can sometimes get a whopping two minutes. Image

Blind is a great spell, but clerics don't have much reason to pray for it in any situation, because the duration isn't long enough to count on.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sun Jun 30, 2002 3:21 am

I used it at low levels and it landed well and lasted long enough to kill things solo. It's only a 3rd circle spell. Anything longer than 2 min is too long imho b/c you're probably twinking something or not doing it straight up. If you want a stronger blind, use pwb, a 7th+ circle spell.

------------------
Dartan group-says 'Malacar I'm going to dropkick you for starting that omg Ymir thing'
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Sun Jun 30, 2002 4:17 pm

take a shaman ... curse/hex THEN blind

take a chanter curse/hex then PWB

------------------
Ambar -= Big Pimpin' =-
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sun Jun 30, 2002 4:52 pm

Just a note.. its 4th circle for clerics.
Kinda tough competition between 90 second blind or 40hp flame strike.

[This message has been edited by rylan (edited 06-30-2002).]
Izizimmez
Sojourner

Postby Izizimmez » Sun Jun 30, 2002 5:20 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jols:
<B>On previous wipes it didn't land 99% of the time but at least it landed usually 1 out of 2 times.

I'm confused. I'm not trying to be mean, but isn't 1 out of 2 50%? I keep thinking I'm reading and/or understanding that wrong. Help me out.

------------------
Tog Vicious

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 30, 2002 8:42 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Izizimmez:
<B>
I'm confused. I'm not trying to be mean, but isn't 1 out of 2 50%? I keep thinking I'm reading and/or understanding that wrong. Help me out.

He was stating that on previous wipes it wasn't !fail, but that it landed consistently (1 out of 2). And that now he lands 1 in 5. It actually hasn't changed, but it's highly dependant on what you're fighting.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Jul 01, 2002 1:13 am

Not to swipe ideas or try to compare muds, but someplace else *cough* had an interesting solution. I think it had great potential, but they never utilized it fully, so I suggest it here.

Hit-or-miss spells like blind, ray of enfeeble, etc, are only effective if they land. One solution is to greatly increase the chance that they will land effectively, but decrease their duration. I find that a 45 second blind that hits 80% of the time is much more useful and fun than a 120 second blind that hits 20% of the time. It's going to run out shortly after casting, so you're still going to have to memorize and cast multiples, but at least you never get that feeling when you finally blind the mob just as the tank says "awful."

I dunno, landing spells 80% might have balance issues on Sojourn since there are SO MANY debuff spells here that other muds don't have. But it's a thought, and it'll make the life of exp'ing casters a little less tedious.

------------------
- Ragorn
Jenera says 'i managed to match a little, ragorn's outfit is hideous.'
Jols
Sojourner

Postby Jols » Mon Jul 01, 2002 2:20 am

I like Ragorn's idea. Maybe tone down the duration a bit more but I think it is a neat idea. It is sort of like the saves in D&D 3rd edition where even though you save versus the spell/effect you still take half damage/half effected.

Jols
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Jul 01, 2002 5:16 pm

Well, in D&D if you make your save vs. an enchantment-type spell, it doesn't hit you at all Image

------------------
- Ragorn
Jenera says 'i managed to match a little, ragorn's outfit is hideous.'

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”