Roots and new flee code

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Malacar
Sojourner

Roots and new flee code

Postby Malacar » Thu Jul 11, 2002 7:32 pm

I'd like to request that roots be changed to accomodate the new flee code...

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 11, 2002 7:39 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Malacar:
<B>I'd like to request that roots be changed to accomodate the new flee code...

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If someone would actually take the time to explain exactly what is happening, we could fix it, rather than changing the zone.

I've tested this on test... The trick of getting two players to engage the mob works just fine. Not exactly sure what you'd like changed.

It occurs to me that roots might have been set up accidentally to be perfect for the non-random flee method. It probably almost always had you fleeing in the direction that was selected more often. I'll have to come up with some code for single-file rooms. to deal with that.

You *can* flee over a reclining player, btw. It is, however, now truly random which direction you'll flee.

[This message has been edited by Iyachtu (edited 07-11-2002).]
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Thu Jul 11, 2002 7:58 pm

Roots was done with the first change to flee code - I should know cuz I cleared it. It did take a lot longer though :P

However, I haven't seen 1ways since the modifications went in. Here is what HAD happened Iyatchu.

1: Player1 moves into the room, engages mob.
2: Player2 comes in behind Player1, reclines.
3: Player1 then flees, moving over top of Player2.
4: Player2 then stands and engages mob.

Just some common ground, describing the process. Where things went wrong were at step 3. When Player1 fled the combat, they did indeed flee over top of the reclined Player2. However they were also disengaged from combat by the action of flee interruption (blocked mob, someone in the way) as opposed to straight failed flee (PANIC! You can't escape!). By being disengaged, Player1 was no longer hitting/tanking the mob and Player2 was the new tank/hitter.

I noticed the disengaging phenomenon while I was clearing the roots. I would flee to go get my buffing spells. When I fled in the wrong direction, the root would block me. Because it wasn't a failed flee but instead an interrupted one, I was disengaged from the combat for as long as it took the root to recognize me.

Hope this dissertation helps. As I said, I haven't worked with the re-modified modified flee code, so I don't know if this has been fixed.

Sylvos
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Thu Jul 11, 2002 8:01 pm

I just tested this and talked to Iyachtu... Image

You CAN flee over a PC now... But the fail rate(bumping into mob) is high.

Thanks for the ultra quick response, Itchy.

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 11, 2002 8:07 pm

Nogs. Previously it wasn't random, and it's likely that roots was set up with directions that were beneficial (i.e. there was a 5 in 6 chance to flee the correct way, 1 in 6 to flee the wrong way). Now that it's randomized, it's 1 in 2 for either one. Gonna go in and give the person a good chance to realize they shouldn't flee the wrong way. Image
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Jul 11, 2002 8:30 pm

just been noticing a hell of a lot more failed flees in general lately..

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 11, 2002 8:37 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Corth:
<B>just been noticing a hell of a lot more failed flees in general lately..

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Been reading the news? Was changed with the most recent boot to be less frequent.

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 11, 2002 9:31 pm

OK, I have a new system in place, similar to the blocking code flee check, for one-way rooms (if your character realizes there's something in the way in a particular direction, they won't flee that way... emphasis on *realizes*).

Now, I did run into one other oddity, which appears to be the same under the old and the new flee code:

If both characters are engaged on the root, and the person in the back reclines, the person in the front can't flee over them. (Has to do with the 2nd character being engaged, basically).

If anyone remembers this being different, please let me know... but I tried it under the current and the old systems, got the same result.

Obviously the new check won't be live until it's moved. Image

[This message has been edited by Iyachtu (edited 07-11-2002).]
kaitos
Sojourner

Postby kaitos » Thu Jul 11, 2002 10:46 pm

It sounds like a nice change, thanks.

As for the trying to flee if you are the 2nd person engaged: In the old code you could flee back over someone behind you if they were reclining. Otherwise you would bump into either the mob or the person behind you. This was definately need'd for several occasion and would be nice to have if you can think of a way for the player to 'realize' they can flee over someone who is reclined and engaged.

Thanks for working on the flee code, and i do seem to be failing less flees then i was a couple of boots ago. It seems much better now, but I haven't tested too much. Keep up the work.

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”