Firbolgs in Muspelheim

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Jegzed
Sojourner

Firbolgs in Muspelheim

Postby Jegzed » Sun Jul 14, 2002 8:43 pm

PLEASE rename them to giants or something.

My ogre is 110 inches tall, and thats about 10 feet, and that should be big enough to bash a race thats about 9-10 feet tall in AD&D.

[This message has been edited by Jegzed (edited 07-14-2002).]

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:11 am

Ogre (Taken from monster manual)
Ogres are big, ugly, greedy humanoids that live by ambushes, raids, and theft. Ill-tempered and nasty, these monsters are often found serving as mercenaries in the ranks of orc tribes, evil clerics, or gnolls. They mingle freely with giants and trolls.
Adult ogres stand 9 to 10 feet tall and weigh 300 to 350 pounds. Their skin colors range from a dead yellow to a dull black-brown, and (rarely) a sickly violet. Their warty bumps are often of a different color -- or at least darker than their hides. Their eyes are purple with white pupils. Teeth and talons are orange or black. Ogres have long, greasy hair of blackish-blue to dull dark green. Their odor is repellent, reminiscent of curdled milk. Dressing in poorly cured furs and animal hides, they care for their weapons and armor only reasonably well. It is common for ogres to speak orc, troll, stone giant, and gnoll, as well as their own guttural language. A typical ogre's life span is 90 years

Firbolg (Taken from Monster Manual)
Of all the giant-kin, the firbolg is the most powerful, due to natural intelligence and considerable magical power.
Firbolgs appear to be normal humans, except that they are over 10 feet tall and weigh over 800 pounds. They wear their hair long and keep great, thick beards. Their skin is a normal fleshy pink, with any shade of hair color, although blonde and red are most common. The flesh and skin of firbolgs are unusually dense and tough. Their voices are a smooth, deep bass, thick with rolling consonants.

------------------
Kelemvor - God of the Dead, and Cemeteries
Areas Wank

[This message has been edited by Kelemvor (edited 07-15-2002).]
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:33 am

Adult ogres stand 9 to 10 feet tall and weigh 300 to 350 pounds.

Firbolgs appear to be normal humans, except that they are over 10 feet tall and weigh over 800 pounds.

My Ogre is 109" tall and 1055 pounds phat .....ummm you'd think i could bodyslam something taller but skinnier than me ....

In fact .. the female Ogre should just ROAR and everything run scared!! Yeah thats the ticket!!

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:58 pm

dood a 10 ft tall being that weighs 350 pounds is a toothpick. not exactly what i envisioned an ogre to be.
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Mon Jul 15, 2002 1:07 pm

Other funny facts according to the "The Complete book of Humanoids"

Firbolgs are also usually neutral good or chaotic good Image

They do not attack without reason, and absolutely refuse other giants than stormgiants to roam their territories.

/Jegzed

[This message has been edited by Jegzed (edited 07-15-2002).]
Tovar
Sojourner

Postby Tovar » Mon Jul 15, 2002 4:33 pm

agree Jegzed...while I have not (and probably will not in the near future go to Muspelheim, Firbolg were the good giantkin...the Verbeeg were the evil giantkin I believe
kaitos
Sojourner

Postby kaitos » Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:56 pm

The firbolgs and fire giants are at war with each other, and i'm sure if you are in the middle of a war with someone you will attach anyone that is coming into your home with 14 of their friends... Image
I'd be pretty sure that they were up to no good.

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:25 pm

I'm just pointing out, if anything, player characters weight needs to be changed. Not the mobs.

------------------
Kelemvor - God of the Dead, and Cemeteries
Areas Wank
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Mon Jul 15, 2002 7:06 pm

ooo that would rock!~!!! if my ogre's weight were smaller ... it hurts her feelings to be called phatty :P

*snicker*

Ambar -= Phatass Ogre =- lumbers here
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:34 pm

As things get bigger, their weight goes up at a much faster rate, so a 350 lb, 9 foot tall being isn't very accurate, unless they are extremely willowy. The world's tallest man, Robert Wadlow, was 8'11" and weighed 490 lbs and he was quite gaunt. Ogres, on the other hand, are extremely bulky and I could very easily see a 9' tall ogre weighing close to 1k lbs. A firbolg, being even bigger, would probably weigh a lot more. I can see a firbolg being bashed by an ogre.

------------------
-Yayaril
Azralek Silvermist
Sojourner

Postby Azralek Silvermist » Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:40 pm

I have always thought that the AD&D books despite the great thought that went into the monsters and player races
was extrmeley inconsistent in the weights/sizes/movement rate it listed for the majority of its monsters.
and it has led to many an argument between me and DM's as a result.

My impression from descriptions rather than the numbers given is firbolgs are inteneded to be somewhat larger creatures than ogres while smaller than giants .

Azmaell/Azralek
"unasked for or unwanted ..just my 2 cents"
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:51 pm

BMI Calculations for Ogres and Firbolgs according to Kelemvors stats.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre>
BMI Index.
Underweight = <18.5
Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
Overweight = 25-29.9
Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater
</pre><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The largest ogre at ten feet and 350 pounds get a BMI of 17.1 which makes them rather underweight and frail. Like tall elves Image

Take a firbolg at eleven feet and 800 pounds gives us a BMI of 32.3 which is rather obese.

This does not compute with any pictures we've seen of firbolgs or ogres in fantasy material.

Ogres are fat, while firbolgs are muscular.

Real stats should be ogres at the stats we have today with heights about 9 to 10 feet BUT, losing weight to average about 800 pounds.

Firbolgs should weigh about the same as ogres, but be a feet taller and should surely be bashable by ogres.

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:22 am

It's a fantasy game. It's based on D&D. Firbolgs aren't bashable by ogres in the Sojourn world, despite BMI calculations or pictures in the D&D monster manual Image

This is why I ALWAYS alter monsters in my D&D campaign... too many players hear "a green muscular giant with warty skin and huge claws shambles in from the north" and automatically pop off fire spells. What "should" work according to strict AD&D rules sometimes just doesn't, and I make it a point to teach that to my players really early on Image

------------------
- Ragorn
Jenera says 'i managed to match a little, ragorn's outfit is hideous.'
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:25 am

does this mean Ambar has to go on a diet??

sigh

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition
Dugmaren
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Dugmaren » Tue Jul 16, 2002 1:26 am

Originally I tried to make firbolgs the correct size, but never got around to doing it, was messing up in compiler and I'm lazy.

They're neutral or good like they're supposed to be.

And can you really blame them from trying to keep you out of their valley and bastion when there's a war going on? Most of them are pretty nice :P

D
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Tue Jul 16, 2002 1:32 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dugmaren:
<B>Originally I tried to make firbolgs the correct size, but never got around to doing it, was messing up in compiler and I'm lazy.

They're neutral or good like they're supposed to be.

And can you really blame them from trying to keep you out of their valley and bastion when there's a war going on? Most of them are pretty nice :P

D</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Dug.

I never noticed the story on them (only been there twice.).

I just noticed firegiants and firbolgs fighting together against us so..

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”