Daylight adaptation

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Zalkenai
Sojourner

Daylight adaptation

Postby Zalkenai » Thu Jun 13, 2002 8:05 am

As far as I know (cause I don't play one) races that can't see at night can carry torches, which will allow them to do so.

Perhaps a quest spell/skill so that ultravision races could see during the day?
Trying to explore the mud is very difficult when you have to stop half the time.

Zalkenai (drow invoker trying to learn)
Dulzuth
Sojourner

Postby Dulzuth » Thu Jun 13, 2002 9:03 am

Yeah it would be nice, but kind of unbalancing. Image Drow are one of the most powerful player races in the game. (maybe the most)

We get a bunch of cool innates, excellent intellegence, all equipment slots, (think yuan-ti) and can see in utter darkness. Some zones are a lot easier with ultra, and squid globe/solid fog make the others doable.

------------------
Verzul / Dulzuth - Jabbuk D'faer - Orbdrin D'oloth
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Jun 13, 2002 10:45 am

um yea, its a drag often a boon sometimes, but they also get serious abilities to make up for it.

drow
awesome awesome stats, mediocre innates, heard of some bonuses to area damage

dueg
awesome innates, big hps.

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 06-13-2002).]
Izizimmez
Sojourner

Postby Izizimmez » Thu Jun 13, 2002 2:40 pm

There is a quest skill that psionicists have called globe of darkness that does exactly that Zalkenai.

This is why you always see drow and duergar bowing down to the supreme Illithid race, and offering their lives to them in the hope that they'll use their amazing power to protect them from the light.

Of course it might be nice for those aforementioned lesser beings to stop pestering the Illithids...what about glare goggles? An invention of the illithids of course. They protect the eyes from the sun. I could see them being balanced if they take up the eyes slot.

------------------
Tog Vicious
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:18 pm

Helm of Darkness - face, eyes, and head - half decent stats + day vision

------------------
Zalkenai
Sojourner

Postby Zalkenai » Thu Jun 13, 2002 9:49 pm

But is it !evil? if I can wear it, let me know please, I just want this for exploring, believe it or not!

Zalkenai
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Thu Jun 13, 2002 10:18 pm

I think we instead of allowing evils to quest for items that allow us to see at day then goodies should begin to quest for torches. And only a few classes should be powerfull enough to even hold torches. Also, torches should blow out every time you moved because of the all powerfull darkness.

/Disoputlip
Jensyth
Sojourner

Postby Jensyth » Thu Jun 13, 2002 10:27 pm

I don't know evil eq so I don't know if that Helm of Darkness is just an item idea.
If it IS just an idea, than another item idea would be for maybe having a semi-day vision item that would maybe grant us infra during the day, so we may not be able to see mobs but can at least see room and exits, etc.
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Thu Jun 13, 2002 11:37 pm

That's fine, but drow that stay on the surface enough to adapt to daylight lose their innate magic abilities. As long as that's stuck to, I've no problem with it.

------------------
Izarek / Raevithar / Fyzzlroo
Jensyth
Sojourner

Postby Jensyth » Fri Jun 14, 2002 12:22 am

That's fine with me Image I'm a dooger Image
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Jun 14, 2002 3:06 am

add !evil flag to that helm of darkness
Izizimmez
Sojourner

Postby Izizimmez » Fri Jun 14, 2002 3:11 am

If you become the thrall of an Illithid you'll never have to worry about the light again! Look into my eyes! *swirly eyes*

------------------
Tog Vicious
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat Jun 15, 2002 7:23 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Disoputlip:
<B>I think we instead of allowing evils to quest for items that allow us to see at day then goodies should begin to quest for torches. And only a few classes should be powerfull enough to even hold torches. Also, torches should blow out every time you moved because of the all powerfull darkness.

/Disoputlip</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amusing and diverting.

------------------
Dartan group-says 'why do I own so hard'
You whisper 'why do you own so hard?' to Dartan.
Dartan tells you 'I ask myself that every day.'
Valke
Sojourner

Postby Valke » Sun Jun 16, 2002 7:10 pm

Hmm, what if a piece of EQ were to allow one to see during the day, BUT had a negative side affect limiting the use of magic abilities, or fighting abilities! Making the item only usefull for Exploring!
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sun Jun 16, 2002 7:39 pm

yah i agree, for the sake of gameplay. If underdark was vast enough so that the ud races never had to leave, it would be another story...

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Sun Jun 16, 2002 8:08 pm

No thanks.

There is no need for any such item.

Ultravision is already super-powerful.

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Jun 17, 2002 7:26 am

disagree corth, echo jegz sentiment ultra is very powerful.
Zalkenai
Sojourner

Postby Zalkenai » Mon Jun 17, 2002 9:10 pm

Ok, so Ultra is very powerful. I'm not sure why you say this (probably because I don't know any better). Can someone tell me if (example) a human is carrying a torch, can they see in utter darkness then?

If so, how is ultra so powerful? For then this (example) human can see both during the day, and in darkness.

I'm not talking about zones at all... I want to explore the world of sojourn to learn where everything is. Ultra is pretty weak in that area, wouldn't you say?

And I don't know of any Illithids that would be willing to follow me around in my travels, they have other things to do.

Zalkenai
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Mon Jun 17, 2002 9:21 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zalkenai:
If so, how is ultra so powerful? For then this (example) human can see both during the day, and in darkness.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One word. "Scan"

Ultra is so much better than infra and !infra for 14/24 of daylight zones and 100% of indoors zone that its almost ridiculous.

For example, non-ultras cant even SEE the chaos'es in Demi in adjacent rooms.

I absolutely HATE walking around as infra.. I feel completely blind, and the minor nine-ten minutes for each day that I gotta wait when on surface is a MINOR pain which does not offset the superiority of ultravision.

There is a reason why evils best leaders like Gromikazer, Lazzraxxum, Dezzex, Jaznolg, Verzul and me all play ultravision characters.

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Jun 18, 2002 4:05 am

incidentally sok hates ultra so he switched to an infra char. And lazz is a squid so i wouldn't put too much stalk in his being ultra as he rarely has to deal with light the ARGH ITS TOO BRIGHT! message.

how would you like to be able to see the mobs in CC so you can assign bash orders ahead of time and not walk into a dragon or 2 plus 3 or 4 mobs?

for exploring how would you like to be able to scan into a room and see the contents before walking? I do not know of any rooms that are flagged SUNLIGHT, so 12 out of 24 minutes you can see into any room on the mud before entering. its at least somewhat balanced imo.

sunglasses or whatever you wanna call it no matter how hard the quest would be a huge upgrade, duegar for example has 50-100 more hps, better wisdom, can drag ogre corpses with innate+some eq, can innate invis. Drow have unbelievable int, agi, and other nice bonuses. Even if it was full head your still losing the same # of slots as snake but only when you choose to.

BTW sunglasses is a mage/cleric yuan vs drow vs duegar issue as no shaman can be an ultra race. they would also take away any compelling reason to be an orc rogue, duegs have way more str (damroll and drag ogres) drow get more attacks and have better agility/dex.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Jun 18, 2002 4:12 am

Shrug, most rooms in cc are lit. I can't think of many zones where not seeing the mobs in the next room is an issue.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Zalkenai
Sojourner

Postby Zalkenai » Tue Jun 18, 2002 12:30 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone, now I have a bit better idea of balance issues. I wanted info from players that have been here far longer than me, because I just didn't know all the facts.

I will just sit during the day like I normally do Image

Thanks!

Zalkenai
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:46 pm

On the exploring thing, its been said/hinted at, that everyone has the ability to see into the adjacent rooms only half the time. Non-ultra races during the day, ultra races at night. Infra I think just sees red blobs all the time :P

Toplack

------------------
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:52 pm

Infra sees like normal during the day, red shapes at night.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Jun 18, 2002 4:34 pm

slight difference gort, infra and normal folks can still see room names exits ect and move around. They can also see in the room if they carrying a light. you can explore 24/24 minutes as infra or normal vision, may be dangerous but you can.

ultra can only see ARGH ITS TOO BRIGHT in a day light zone 12/24 minutes. that means you can't explore 50% of the time (well more indoor zones than out but anyhow). can only walk from memory (though you can see the alas you can't go in that direction), can't mem (cept quest spells, can pray), cant get shit out of your bag, look at your eq, receive tells from ultra folks, send tells to other ultra folks in the light, consent, ect...

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 06-18-2002).]
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Tue Jun 18, 2002 8:35 pm

Right right Kiryan, sorry for the misinformation on that. Thank you for clairifying.

Toplack

------------------
Rivi
Sojourner

Postby Rivi » Mon Jul 22, 2002 8:06 pm

How about an expensive import cigar shop. Sells cigars of course.

Syntax : puff cigar
Duration: 5 game hours. (Special)
Effect : room is darkened like the solid fog spell. Player CON is dropped by 5 points cumulative per game hour the cigar is used. Player falls unconscious at 5 CON or lower. Effects of con loss last until 24 game hours of non puffing has passed!

Cost 199 plats per cigar. Just cause they can rip you off and get you addicted to something this useful. Also it's not 200 plats so it looks cheap!

But seriously, how about some expendible item to allow dayblind characters to view at least the room they're in. For CR's n stuff.
Gura
Sojourner

Postby Gura » Tue Jul 23, 2002 1:05 am

isnt life supposed to be harder playing an evilrace? so u cant see for 12mins a day...oh well.

------------------
-Gura Crush Head
Rivi
Sojourner

Postby Rivi » Tue Jul 23, 2002 10:24 pm

I understand that it's supposed to be more difficult to play an evil race, but at what point do you stop?

By your logic Gura, it would be okay for the immortals to implement a scenario, for Tiamat that would make it easier for good raced players. For instance, the dragons outside of Tiamat's chamber was agro evil race only. Inside Tiamat's chamber there were half a dozen statues that responded to a certain keyword and would come alive and attack all evil race mobs/players and would also attack Tiamat if there were no other targets. In fact by your logic something like this should be implemented for everything on the mud because it's SUPPOSED to be more DIFFICULT to play an evil race. So the rampager trick in Manscorpions should only work for the good race players and not for evil race players.

Frankly Gura, unless you play a yuanti earlier this wipe or in any of the previous wipes from scratch, I have no respect for any TROLL that says something like that to me, because you have no idea what it means to play a race that is "difficult".

Realistically I could care less about letting ultravision see during daytime hours on the surface, I'd made 50 as an ultravision race before anything was implemented that allowed ultravision races to see in the daylight, so I have made my peace with that particular problem and it doesn't bother me at all.

On that note, having a consumable item that generates this effect isn't exactly unbalancing for the mud. It's not like you can twink something just because you allow an ultravision character to see in one room and not be able to see in other rooms.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Jul 24, 2002 5:21 am

id rather see dark be a little more difficult for surface races. illuminating eq a little too common imo.

and you could say that ultras already got a nod as they function great in surface night and dusk conditions where they would normally get penalities...

a charge based fogging item would be interesting... and hopefully not something that could get hoarded.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Jul 24, 2002 9:46 am

Ultra isnt that bad with solid fog and globe of darkness (have u hugged your squid today?)

Interesting concept on lighting items (did you mean continual light or fog, Caz?

Why not let it be a small chance of changing dice .. happens when you curse items ...

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition
Rivi
Sojourner

Postby Rivi » Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:13 pm

Who in their right mind would light a weapon :P
Well, unless it was for some rp purpose, but to rely solely on an illuminating weapon.... that's sort of scary.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:51 pm

I particularly dislike the idea of an item to cancel ultra in any way. You can switch between items, shrug. Everyone would have one, or if it was rare then only the tough people who don't need it to 'explore' would have them. I'd like an ultra item tho *duck*.

------------------
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Jul 24, 2002 7:39 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rivi:
<B>Who in their right mind would light a weapon :P
Well, unless it was for some rp purpose, but to rely solely on an illuminating weapon.... that's sort of scary.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

not only weapons have dice, goofy Image

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Jul 25, 2002 5:34 am

i was meaning what if continual light was basically a room spell and didnt work for illuminating quivers just so you could haavae a light source. what if illuminating eq was way rarer. i mean really could you imagine walking around giving off light constantly? folks wouuld straight be laughing their asses off (think men who carry man bags for the convenience).

how much candle power from one continuaal light spell x a 15 man group =0 i know one evil that lit like 70% of his eq.

some want ultras to be more like surface races, perhaps surface races should becom more like ultras.

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”