Bumping threads

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Ambar
Sojourner

Bumping threads

Postby Ambar » Thu Aug 01, 2002 10:05 am

after a year and a half????

Can threads be locked that are over a certain period of time old?? So we can read but not add to them?? (Like for info only)

Be nice for info sometimes .. but damn!

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 01, 2002 10:16 am

Bump! Image

------------------
Azuth God of Wizardry and Majiks
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Thu Aug 01, 2002 10:51 am

Daz = Bumpmeister

------------------
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Thu Aug 01, 2002 11:28 am

Gotta step in here for mah homey Moritheil.

Mori > Daz.

Mori contributes... Some... More than me...

I don't think old threads should be locked; after all, there are probably a bunch of really good ideas out there that have been passed over due to the sheer volume of posting that takes place here. Plus there are other random 'fun' threads that need to be bumped every now and then, like Turxx's "the most responses" thread. People just need to exercise a little bit more discretion and maturity (heh, I'm one to talk) in their postings. Daz does it to piss people off. By the look of it, he got the response he was looking for. When I click on a thread, I usually look at the initial date of the thread. When I saw the one about magic missiles, I just clicked the back button and went on my merry way. Granted, that kind of bumping serves no real purpose other than to irritate people, waste server space, waste bandwidth, and waste time.

- Grungar "Bump?" Forgefire

EDIT: Figured I'd contribute. Did I succeed?

[This message has been edited by Grungar (edited 08-01-2002).]
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Thu Aug 01, 2002 11:40 am

Yeah I agree that the solution is not to punish everyone for the actions of one bad apple.

A shotgun-approach of locking old threads or deleting old threads or something doesn't seem to be as good a solution as punishing the person or people who purposuley resurrect old threads just to be an ass.

------------------
Nokie 'No you don't!! That belongs to me!' Quickfingers
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Thu Aug 01, 2002 12:56 pm

just because we lock it doesn't mean you can't read it or access it.. you just can't post to it (hell for that matter you can post a link to it)

i also don't mean a couple weeks ... but a year and a half??

also there is no way to punish a post*er* .. he can just make a new account and start over...

Ambar spanks 'Zuth HARD!
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Thu Aug 01, 2002 1:27 pm

I didn't know spanking was a punishment.....

------------------
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Thu Aug 01, 2002 4:20 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ambar:
<B>just because we lock it doesn't mean you can't read it or access it.. you just can't post to it (hell for that matter you can post a link to it)

i also don't mean a couple weeks ... but a year and a half??

also there is no way to punish a post*er* .. he can just make a new account and start over...

Ambar spanks 'Zuth HARD!</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*nods* I still think that locking a thread is too harsh. I know you could still read and whatnot, or post a link, but do you really think that that's necessary? I'm sure the staff can ban IP's. But yeah, I'm making no sense. I need food.

- Grungar "FOOOOOOOOOOD" Forgefire
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu Aug 01, 2002 6:51 pm

jesus christ - you people have nothing better to do than sit here and criticize or pretend you are psychology professors or some crap.

maybe i bumped some old threads so people could say "rofl, remember that? nerfing magic missile - cool"

just because i don't post on my latest foray into the deepest dungeon of the mud with 200 people behind me doesn't mean you
have the right to police this bbs. there is no damn rule that says 'only elite players shall be able to bump old threads for amusement purposes.'

get off your horses - not one of you knows me, and you all think you do. you got angry because 'I' made you waste 6 seconds of your miserable antagonistic lives.

got, what a bunch of crybabies - yes, I am going over the line here - but you people waste no time in screaming bloody murder because you spent 5 seconds reading something that you didn't want to. like i carry a gun and a hammer and force you to read the bbs.

------------------
-Daz "<^> (*¿*) <^>" Proudwolf
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Aug 01, 2002 7:04 pm

I actualy agree with daz here...you definately misinterpreted what he was trying to do because you have predetermined views of him and his behavior. You kinda owe him an apology.

To put an even better solution...could it be possible for there to be not just the last post in the thread date on the right of the thread but also the time/date of the original post of the thread? That would allow those of you that like to read and bump older threads to do so and people like ambar and others not to waste their times reading the ones they do not with to...sounds good to me!

------------------
"Kill them all, God will know his own." -Domingo de Guzman, A.K.A Saint Dominic
gnerble
Sojourner

Postby gnerble » Thu Aug 01, 2002 7:18 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
<B>you got angry because 'I' made you waste 6 seconds of your miserable antagonistic lives.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Daz spends his time reading outdated GAMEPLAY DISCUSSION threads and then tells us that we are wasting our time. I frequently read old logs, but jesus christ what kind of comments can you add to a year old bugfix?

I'd say maybe 50% of the population here reads old logs. Maybe 10% read old gameplay discussion threads. But only Daz feels he needs to add NO VALUE to an old thread.

Listen, there is nothing wrong with doing this, it's not illegal, but it is interesting that nobody else displays this behavior! It's fine by me if you want to add a one-line post to a year old message, but you must expect people to be aggrivated by it.

------------------
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Thu Aug 01, 2002 7:58 pm

owe him an apology??

predetermined views of him and his behavior?? no.. i would have responded the same no matter who it was ...

is this the new, kindler, gentler mudding generation??

give me a break!!!!

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Thu Aug 01, 2002 9:16 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
<B>jesus christ - you people have nothing better to do than sit here and criticize or pretend you are psychology professors or some crap.

maybe i bumped some old threads so people could say "rofl, remember that? nerfing magic missile - cool"
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.sojourn3.org/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000058.html

Daz to Ragorn:

"you read them. you wrote in them. mission accomplished.

call it what you want, i like to think of it as subtle retribution mixed with nostalgia."

Well, you just said why you do it. Retribution.

Dornax
Jurdex

------------------
The Raven of Wisdom

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
"My Honor is My Life"
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Aug 01, 2002 10:12 pm

Best way to deal with daz when hes on an attention hunting quest is to ignore him...

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Aug 02, 2002 5:26 am

I'm the closest thing to a psychology professor this board has, by the way :P

Unless someone's further along the PhD track than I am, I suppose.

------------------
- Ragorn
Jenera says 'i managed to match a little, ragorn's outfit is hideous.'
Axxsinlazzam
Sojourner

Postby Axxsinlazzam » Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:01 am

Why?
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Aug 02, 2002 5:28 pm

I'll be teaching college level intro- and 100 level psych classes inside of 3 years, if life goes my way. Need to finish up the loose ends for my bachelor's, and I'll start teaching one or two semesters into my masters training.

A lot of masters students at my school teach the intro and basic 100 level classes. I may not be here, but I still want to teach Image

------------------
- Ragorn
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Mon Aug 05, 2002 6:00 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ragorn:
<B>I'll be teaching college level intro- and 100 level psych classes inside of 3 years, if life goes my way. Need to finish up the loose ends for my bachelor's, and I'll start teaching one or two semesters into my masters training.

A lot of masters students at my school teach the intro and basic 100 level classes. I may not be here, but I still want to teach Image</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

G'luck to ya. Psych = fun (yay for my third major, yaaaaaay), teaching = fun, good. When I grow up, I'm going to teach kids how to melt different stuff with acids and identify it by the smell it makes. Ah, how I love chemistry.

- Grungar "But what do you really mean by that?" Forgefire
Callie
Sojourner

Postby Callie » Mon Aug 05, 2002 8:38 pm

Ohhhh, I get to TA intro Psych in the fall. Have no desire to become a prof though, just need to beef up my Vita for grad school and it provides an ample supply of volunteers for my Thesis project.
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Thu Aug 08, 2002 9:05 am

*Trumps Ragorn's psychology with 27 hours complete in Master of Psychology*
(heh electives are all I need, how lazy is that)

Ok, so it is really an Education degree, but the little piece of paper says Master of Psych.

Better yet, it is in Special Ed, so I feel even more at home dealing with people on the BBS.

------------------
emote Rescuepractice
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Aug 08, 2002 3:47 pm

Then I stand corrected Image

------------------
- Ragorn

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”