Non-warrior switching logic

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Drache
Sojourner

Non-warrior switching logic

Postby Drache » Sat Aug 17, 2002 9:11 pm

Any cleric/mage knows what I'm talking about: do this while fighting.

Kick - You don't know how...
Kil an incap'd mob when another walks in agg or whatever, it tries to make you switch, but you become confused. It's a skill you don't have, switch, so why does it try to allow you but not kick? Please make it where you can't kill an incap'd one while the other aggs are still on. that's what target spells are for but wandering mobs suck. Maybe 'Kill mob' when another starts to attack would give the message 'Don't you think you should finish the one fighting you NOW?' Being stunned when you've not even got the skill is odd, considering there's no bashing/kicking either but they're off limits period.
I'd suggest getting rid of the lag when you 'kil mob' while fighting ( where it tries to make you switch ) then changing the skill switch to being active where you actually type SWITCH mob. Wouldn't be too hard to adjust: "swi 3.giant" etc. This way you are actively trying to change the mob. maybe also the concept of 'kill incap' where incap is gonna kill any mob that's knocked out. would save lots of time in rooms w/lots of mobs having to count, specially when a large group w/spam to boot
------------------

Another thought. If you are a caster and you see someone cast a spell that's in your capacity as well, then it seems by default you would know what they cast. Say you are seeing 3rd circle cast and your max 14th level, it'd seem that you have the same chance to understand the spell cast in the room (again same spell you have in your book) that you would understand if you cast it yourself and lost concentrate. So..if you are 16th level, the 3rd level should be automatically understood. How can you not know what's being cast when you know the spell yourself?

[This message has been edited by Drache (edited 08-17-2002).]
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sun Aug 18, 2002 1:30 am

you should try learning the game a little more.

tog vicious. will take care of the problem you are having to type kill to finish a mob off. vicious on causes you not to stop fighting a mob until it is dead.

casters have 2 skills that allow you to %chance recognize a spell being cast. Sorcerous spell knowledge and clerical spell knowledge i believe.

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri
Ashemiem
Sojourner

Postby Ashemiem » Sun Aug 18, 2002 2:02 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
<B>you should try learning the game a little more.

tog vicious. will take care of the problem you are having to type kill to finish a mob off. vicious on causes you not to stop fighting a mob until it is dead.

casters have 2 skills that allow you to %chance recognize a spell being cast. Sorcerous spell knowledge and clerical spell knowledge i believe.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Both good points, although I would like to see non-melee classes without the switch opponents skill not have the chance to do so. Yes it can happen successfully, but most of the times someone pulls it off it's an accident, and any deliberate tries I've made at switching have always lagged me to hell and back.

Could the option of changing targets be removed if you don't have the skill? Something like "You are too focused on your current opponent to switch targets."

Ashemiem

------------------
Mplor group-says 'dugmaren must be very proud... he levels us up in smoke and de-levels us in muspelheim'
Lilithelle
Sojourner

Postby Lilithelle » Sun Aug 18, 2002 10:10 pm

Actually Kiryan he does know about vicious, but as an elementalist he doesn't want it on so pets don't take the kill. And you seem to miss the point about recognizing spells. Why should he even have a chance of not recognizing a spell if its one he's already mastered.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Mon Aug 19, 2002 2:34 am

"Another thought. If you are a caster and you see someone cast a spell that's in your capacity as well, then it seems by default you would know what they cast. Say you are seeing 3rd circle cast and your max 14th level, it'd seem that you have the same chance to understand the spell cast in the room (again same spell you have in your book) that you would understand if you cast it yourself and lost concentrate. So..if you are 16th level, the 3rd level should be automatically understood. How can you not know what's being cast when you know the spell yourself?"

When you're busy trying to avoid being beaten to death and surrounded by the sounds of combat, chances are your ability to hear things like an incantation are going to be diminished. Sure, you might be able to tell what a spell is if the caster is the only one for dozens of yards around, but things get more difficult when you're an elf fighting a drunken ogre shaman and have taken several blows to the head recently. You might have some idea of what kind of spell is being cast based on what plane's energy you see starting to be manifested during the casting, but just recognizing that the ogre is drawing power from the paraelemental plane of earth doesn't tell you if he's about to conjure a massive earthquake or casting a defensive spell. It would be more realistic if the spell knowledges had bonuses if the other caster was not involved in combat, there was no combat in any room nearby, there were no mobs that have procs emulating social commands nearby, both are of the same race from the same hometown, etc., but in any case just knowing how to do something really well yourself is no guarantee that you'll know how other people go about it.

------------------
You fire a black-shafted elven arrow to the east at Gormal's pet goat with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!
You receive your share of experience.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon Aug 19, 2002 3:35 am

Still amazed me how some mobs with minimal intelligence, such as animals or dumb humanoid mob can ID an offensive spell and attack when you start casting :P
Fear the squirrels and level 5 skeletons that know what full harm is :P
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Mon Aug 19, 2002 12:46 pm

LOL - Rylan dieing to squirrels again?
Deltin
Sojourner

Postby Deltin » Mon Aug 19, 2002 5:03 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rylan:
<B>Still amazed me how some mobs with minimal intelligence, such as animals or dumb humanoid mob can ID an offensive spell and attack when you start casting :P
Fear the squirrels and level 5 skeletons that know what full harm is :P</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I totally know what you mean, especially when the mob is a non-caster. Sometimes if you cast armor or bless first it throws them off. We should start logging some of these kind of things, I'm sure people would get a good laugh.

------------------
So whad are we gonna do tonight Brain? Same thing we do everynight Pinky, TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!
Ssryth
Sojourner

Postby Ssryth » Tue Aug 20, 2002 12:05 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Deltin:
<B> I totally know what you mean, especially when the mob is a non-caster. Sometimes if you cast armor or bless first it throws them off. We should start logging some of these kind of things, I'm sure people would get a good laugh.

Then imagine mobs with magic-phobia, they attack you no matter what you start casting Image

Ssryth.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Wed Aug 21, 2002 1:59 am

heh, its not that they know what spell is coming, they just know it is offensive in nature. I dont see any spell names, but after 7 or 8 years i began to figure out when i see yzrr pzar that its full heal and that zuhlahrul is vitality. Usually it just comes like
Rylan's mom is casting an offensive spell.
which is enuff to make me bash rylans mom and put her back on her back like usual.
it could be inferno, it could be a magic missile of death, but i couldnt tell u Image i just know its offensive.

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw
Deltin
Sojourner

Postby Deltin » Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:01 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ssryth:
<B> Then imagine mobs with magic-phobia, they attack you no matter what you start casting Image

Ssryth.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You start chanting...
Out of nowhere, a cat burglar stabs you in the back.
OUCH! That really did HURT!
< 813h/977H/166P 126v/126V T: Deltin TC: small wounds E: burglar EC: excellent P: std >
Casting: blindness **
You are getting hungry.
eat rations
< 813h/977H/166P 126v/126V T: Deltin TC: small wounds E: burglar EC: excellent P: std >
A cat burglar pierces you.
OUCH! That really did HURT!

what makes you think they don't have a fear?

------------------
So whad are we gonna do tonight Brain? Same thing we do everynight Pinky, TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!
Drache
Sojourner

Postby Drache » Fri Aug 23, 2002 12:16 am

I'm sorry but that last post is down right STUPID...How the hell can a burglar backstab you when you are staring at a mob to cast blindness upon it? That's a bit weird!

------------------
The watch sez: Time to kill!
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Fri Aug 23, 2002 9:35 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Drache:
<B>I'm sorry but that last post is down right STUPID...How the hell can a burglar backstab you when you are staring at a mob to cast blindness upon it? That's a bit weird!

maybe he was aggro it ... it fled out and came back?? rogues just DO that, the sneaky bastards

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition
Deltin
Sojourner

Postby Deltin » Fri Aug 23, 2002 1:49 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ambar:
<B>
maybe he was aggro it ... it fled out and came back?? rogues just DO that, the sneaky bastards

Nope he wasn't aggro that's why I posted it, I should have made note of that in my post. I thought it was funny I got backstabbed as soon as I started casting.

------------------

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”