Influx of Uber EQ

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Fri Aug 30, 2002 2:10 pm

*vent steam*
everyone who never played an invoker a few moths back BEFORE sandblast and fell frost, agreed invokers do damage and where probably the best balanced class

we added 2 spells that are just for fun for the invoker so they can do more target, AND to take care of the zap problem if you had a few in the group *not to often then* now you talk about taking their 2 most useful spells away, your nuts

invokers are still the best/one of balanced classes in the game if you dont have 50+ ptime @lvl 50 max notch invoker, you need to shut your pie hole because you have no clue what your talking about

but scince i know you will....
rogues can do the same amount of damage an invoker can in what 2 rounds.. so i might have gotten my spell of in that time

invokers cant tank unless they are fully spelled up then again anyone can....
but only for a short period of time..

point of invokers == damage, to say they do to much or you need to take damage away from them is ignorant

sandblast on average << damage than forcemissle its only saving grace is that it has !save vs spell on it.. what does that mean?
it means you can use it vs a mob and that mob takes full damage from it...try using it on a MR mob and you will die a slow horible death because it will never hit via shrug

i saw on tv the other day a little kid saying "if you point at someone you have 4 fingers pointing back at you"

go back to thread toppic and stop trying to change things/bash things you dont have a clue about

if you have any problems or questions about what i posted find me in game and i will explain, prove, anything you want

*end steam*

if you want to make zones harder because YOU think that its to easy.... bring less people/smaller groups/less damage/different classes/experiment

just because you find it easy, doesnt mean everyone will, or was for them

just because you dont agree/like something doesnt mean its wrong and vise versa

dont hit someone when they are on the ground
its easier to kick them

ok i am rambling now...
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Aug 30, 2002 2:16 pm

Some of these zones we think are cakewalks now were hard as hell in August one year ago...
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Aug 30, 2002 3:59 pm

sentient rescuing gimme a break. a standard autorescue triggerset will be better than 95% of the warriors out there and will keep your group alive in 99% of situations.

a spam rescue alias is usually slower than triggers and fills the queue more often. guessing which player the mob switched too is faster, but if your wrong you lose the 1 command advantage and now your on par with a look rescue trigger. "knowing" whos under ress effect and reclining or whatever is definitely an interesting angle, however, by the time you type the person's name to rescue, a look or hit trigger will have already rescued. i suppose you probably had rescue on that person pretyped huh.

If you wanted to argue manual rescuing is better than trigger rescuing on the basis of quality rescues (rescue the demon off the shaman and not the bunny off the cleric), i could buy that, but your not gonna beat triggers in general.. and even if you do, 10 ms faster is rarely more than bragging rights.

The best imo is one smart non triggered warrior + at least one trigger rescuer. Quality rescues is more important than others but at the same time, the speed of triggers is very hard to beat consistently. if i had to to choose one or the other, id pick the group with trigger rescuing.

on zones being cake walks...
eq has escalated, but im pretty sure that the majority of players today are not equipped significantly better than what was possible 1 year ago. The difference is pretty clear to me. more experienced people and leaders, more people with mid high end gear. A group comprised of players who all have good hps (not perfect eq hps) is gonna do better than a group where one mage has 350 hp and one 800 hp mage. When was the last time you zoned with a 400 hp mage...

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 08-30-2002).]
Gyrx
Sojourner

Postby Gyrx » Fri Aug 30, 2002 4:13 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zoldren:
<B>i saw on tv the other day a little kid saying "if you point at someone you have 4 fingers pointing back at you"
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I forgot, but are thumbs considered fingers?

Also..when I point..i only have my middle finger, my ring finger, and my pinky pointing back at me. Thumbs pointing forwards.

So when I point at people i only have 3 fingers pointing back at me Image

Oh and uhm, invokers aren't uber powered like pinky said. It may be my alt, but I spent a lot of time getting that character to level 48.
Lenefir
Sojourner

Postby Lenefir » Fri Aug 30, 2002 5:26 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
When was the last time you zoned with a 400 hp mage...</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the question should be reformulated to: When was the last time a 400 hp mage accepted to go to a zone and survived it :P

(For your info: I just recently got 463 hp. Without the donations from a lot of kind people (around half of it from evils btw Image) I would still have around 250 hp. Anyway, when there is a drought on enchanters, and a group gets impatient in waiting for a real one, I occasionally get asked if I want to join in a zoning group. Well, I know I need better equipment to even dare go into some of the tougher zones, so by now I have been 3 times in Tarselian Forest, 4 times in roots-zone, 2 or 3 times in Elemental Tower, 3 times on Jotunheim, and two times in Ice Crag (or something?). And for the record, I've died a lot more than the number of zones I've been into. Just ask the different clerics Image)
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Aug 30, 2002 6:04 pm

zol, you are forgeting about crazy mob defense now...i hit maybe 1/3 or 4 now days...that means on average i do about as much damage in say 5 rounds as you do in 1.

------------------
"Kill them all, God will know his own." -Domingo de Guzman, A.K.A Saint Dominic
Glorishan
Sojourner

Postby Glorishan » Fri Aug 30, 2002 6:20 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zoldren:
<B>
everyone who never played an invoker a few moths back BEFORE sandblast and fell frost, agreed invokers do damage and where probably the best balanced class
we added 2 spells that are just for fun for the invoker so they can do more target, AND to take care of the zap problem if you had a few in the group *not to often then* now you talk about taking their 2 most useful spells away, your nuts

invokers are still the best/one of balanced classes in the game if you dont have 50+ ptime @lvl 50 max notch invoker, you need to shut your pie hole because you have no clue what your talking about

</B>You are telling people they have no idea what they're talking about because they don't play one, yet you're claiming to understand every single class on the MUD by saying none of them are as balanced, or at least most aren't as balanced, as an invoker? Ok.
<B>
rogues can do the same amount of damage an invoker can in what 2 rounds.. so i might have gotten my spell of in that time
</B>
That comment was made regarding how much damage you to do a room full of mobs. Regardless of blast radius. You do much more damage per 2 rounds when area'ing than a rogue.
<B>
point of invokers == damage, to say they do to much or you need to take damage away from them is ignorant
</B>
For someone to have an opinion on how to balance things a little better is ignorant because you disagree? Ok.
<B>
go back to thread toppic and stop trying to change things/bash things you dont have a clue about
</B>
Again, you seem to know everything about every other class. Wish I were that informed.
<B>
if you want to make zones harder because YOU think that its to easy.... bring less people/smaller groups/less damage/different classes/experiment
</B>
Not a bad idea, actually. However, when you start doing things with fewer people, different methods, etc...it's often frowned upon and changed to make it harder, thus achieving the opposite of what you state. You don't want it to get harder for the newer people. Neither do I. Just making a point.
<B>

</B>
Perhaps follow your own advice. Other peoples' opinions aren't necessarily wrong cause you don't agree/like them.
<B>
ok i am rambling now...</B>

I agree. :P

</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glorishan

edited to fix spelling.

[This message has been edited by Glorishan (edited 08-30-2002).]
Gyrx
Sojourner

Postby Gyrx » Fri Aug 30, 2002 6:45 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kifle:
<B>zol, you are forgeting about crazy mob defense now...i hit maybe 1/3 or 4 now days...that means on average i do about as much damage in say 5 rounds as you do in 1.

What's your hitroll Kif? I've only documented how much I need cuz i'm a warrior, I thought rogues needed around 33-36ish?
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sat Aug 31, 2002 2:45 am

i'd really like a god's take on the real topic of this thread before you dorks hijacked it with talk about classes....

this is about EQ. prot cold is insane easy to get now due to things from et like frozen mask, earrings...etc.... all prots are now... look how many people have those gay ass dragonscale robes. its just too much.. I see dartan not wearing his tiamat helm almost all the time because it doesnt help him at all... a freaking tiamat item should NEVER get bagged.

------------------
Gormal Stoneforge -Hammerstrike-

"Forward Mithrilguard!"
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sat Aug 31, 2002 3:14 am

My ceremonial platinum dagger I got from Tiamat is bagged.

------------------
-Yayaril
Waelos
Sojourner

Postby Waelos » Sat Aug 31, 2002 5:30 am

Gormal:

The influx of uber hitter eq means nothing. Nothing at all. I could jack my damroll to 75 and I would still pale in comparison to any spellcaster's damage. Except perhaps for the enchanter. Not to sound haughty but I believe I am the hardest hitting melee character in this game, and time and time again I find that in fights the mob I am targeting is say at ph. . . and I glance at 2.mob and if it isn't already at PH it is at nasty wounds. So, my hitting +other hitters in a group = _maybe_ one wound level of damage to one mob. Uh. . .that is out of balance.

See, the problem is. . I can have a hitroll of 40 (yes, I've tried this) and I still miss 75% of my attacks at times. It is really quite silly. Hitroll does not matter vs mob skills. Hasted on smoke wieldling windsong and valhalla Im hitting 3 times a round. My capacity is 6 hits normally (with haste) and up to 24 if I proc alot. Even considering ALL of these factors melee and their equipment is retardedly ineffective when compared to caster abilities. Sure there is MR, but the damage is _so_ high on these spells that missing one or two or even three in a fight really doesnt matter. Force missiles regularly does a whole woundlevel of damage to lvl 50+ mobs. (that is the perception).

Now maybe the influx of 'uber caster eq' is helping to whack out the balance. I don't know. . .maybe casters having 800+ hps or whatever makes them nigh unkillable ? I don't know. I really don't think eq has jack to do with the imbalance in the game.
During Chaos I had all the best eq, some artifacts and 32K hps. Guess what? I STILL GOT OWNED by mobs. single mobs! One giant took off like 5000 hps before I killed it.

In short, eq matters very very little. It is the spells and skills of players and mobs that is the problem.

The solution? I have given what is my best shot at a solution here before and I will repeat it again:

Take the middle path!

LEARN from Buddha!

Meaning: NO absolute negation of effects. No total spell resistance. NO taking 0 damage when shieldblocking or parrying. Make everything scale with skill/saves/ etc.

Perhaps a skill or two can be set aside for absolute negation. . .creating more use for certain classes. . . etc. the possibilities are endless and hopefully fairly obvious. In a world of absolutes you run out of options very very quickly =(

I hope this helps.

Lost

------------------
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Sat Aug 31, 2002 4:28 pm

"What's your hitroll Kif? I've only documented how much I need cuz i'm a warrior, I thought rogues needed around 33-36ish?"

She's talking about mob dodging. Hitroll has nothing to do with that.

------------------
You fire a black-shafted elven arrow to the east at Gormal's pet goat with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!
You receive your share of experience.
muma
Sojourner

Postby muma » Sat Aug 31, 2002 6:13 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gormal:
<B>since swedes have innate_retard i wont hold that against you.

Gormal, that was rude and a flame. Flames are not allowed here and WHEN THE HELL are people going to stop it! and NO i'm not swedish!

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

------------------
Leah A. W.
muma
Sojourner

Postby muma » Sat Aug 31, 2002 6:15 pm

Do you think people are going to take you seriously if you are rude to them and call them names?

Well, from this day forth i will not take you serious. not that you care anyway.

------------------
Leah A. W.
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Sat Aug 31, 2002 8:03 pm

thas es i fanny pust bet a jast wunt tu sied I wes huru. Thenk geu cemo egian

Sok

edit for spelling.

[This message has been edited by sok (edited 08-31-2002).]
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sun Sep 01, 2002 9:58 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gyrx:
<B> What's your hitroll Kif? I've only documented how much I need cuz i'm a warrior, I thought rogues needed around 33-36ish?

I have anywhere between a 37 and 44, most often around 39 or 40 when in zones 44 when in wraith fights.

------------------
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sun Sep 01, 2002 10:04 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gormal:
<B>i'd really like a god's take on the real topic of this thread before you dorks hijacked it with talk about classes....

this is about EQ. prot cold is insane easy to get now due to things from et like frozen mask, earrings...etc.... all prots are now... look how many people have those gay ass dragonscale robes. its just too much.. I see dartan not wearing his tiamat helm almost all the time because it doesnt help him at all... a freaking tiamat item should NEVER get bagged.

Omg, i think this is more about gormal getting pissed that his PFC isnt as rare anymore...omg cry a river, so more people's bags dont get wasted in dragon fights boo hoo...that is pretty cool if you ask me.

Like i said earlier, i remember people bitching there were not enought PFC items in the game, we get them and somebody bitches.... Poor gods.

------------------
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Sun Sep 01, 2002 11:38 am

I don't have a problem with someone gaining prot-all from wearing numerous items individually.

However, I have always disliked the fact that prot-all on a single item is in the game and not at Tiamat.

Just my opinion.

Dornax
Jurdex

------------------
The Raven of Wisdom

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
"My Honor is My Life"
Shargaas
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Shargaas » Sun Sep 01, 2002 7:04 pm

earrings from ET have been noted, although I am not entirely convinced that they are in need of a downgrade. -If- we were to change them is the opinion that the stats are too high and need to be downed to something similar to fireweed, or should the earring just be made a rare load of say 50% so that after a group does the zone they might be lucky and have an earring on the glist.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sun Sep 01, 2002 7:15 pm

Personally, as a cleric I don't even use the ET earrings, since there are better hp earings available for me.
I'm not quite sure what the big complaint about them is.. they got the same hps as fireweed (right?) but with an added protection and maybe save-breath. The ET mask is already a double-rare quest since you need the item and the quest mob, so I don't see a problem with that.
If anything would be changed about the earrings, I'd say make them a semi-rare (no less than 50% load). But then would the zone still get done?
Bipple
Sojourner

Postby Bipple » Sun Sep 01, 2002 7:23 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rylan:
<B>Personally, as a cleric I don't even use the ET earrings, since there are better hp earings available for me.
I'm not quite sure what the big complaint about them is.. they got the same hps as fireweed (right?) but with an added protection and maybe save-breath. The ET mask is already a double-rare quest since you need the item and the quest mob, so I don't see a problem with that.
If anything would be changed about the earrings, I'd say make them a semi-rare (no less than 50% load). But then would the zone still get done?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Slightly more hp than fireweed, their 12 weed is 10
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Sun Sep 01, 2002 8:53 pm

yes people dont have a clue if they dont play one what it is to play an invoker. i never said i understand every class, and when i said the class was balanced, i heard this from a few gods a while back thanks. and note, i did NOT say what classes werent balanced because i dont have that info. hence i never said it.

That comment was made regarding how much damage you to do a room full of mobs. Regardless of blast radius. You do much more damage per 2 rounds when area'ing than a rogue.

yes invokers do more to an area that was never in debate

For someone to have an opinion on how to balance things a little better is ignorant because you disagree? Ok.

opinions i have no problem with, its the un-informed ones i have a problem with, case in point...
i over heard soemone say i dont know why people dont like iraq, i bet its realy nice and sadam too, just the news doesnt like him

Again, you seem to know everything about every other class. Wish I were that informed.
again, never even said i did

Not a bad idea, actually. However, when you start doing things with fewer people, different methods, etc...it's often frowned upon and changed to make it harder, thus achieving the opposite of what you state. You don't want it to get harder for the newer people. Neither do I. Just making a point.

glad we can agree Image. however, i dont things are changed when you make them more challenging, i think things are changed win you abuse the code to do them

Perhaps follow your own advice. Other peoples' opinions aren't necessarily wrong cause you don't agree/like them.
maybe i should, maybe you should too Image

ok i am rambling now...

I agree. :P
ya

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glorishan

edited to fix spelling.

[This message has been edited by Glorishan (edited 08-30-2002).]
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sun Sep 01, 2002 9:24 pm

kifle i dont even wear protcold. I own thrym tokens northlands boots and skullsmasher ... i get prots from spells etc. I'm not whining about anything so before you flame me why don't you ponder that maybe i am one of those rare people who enjoy the game i play having downsides. Without bad things to worry about the game gets boring. no ress con loss now, super easy to get prots from spells and eq.... and the game will never wipe...eq will never leave and characters willbe forever uber. sorry if that doesn't fit my idea of fun.

------------------

"Forward Mithrilguard!"
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sun Sep 01, 2002 9:43 pm

Oh geez, fireweed is only 10hps? Geez, I thought it was 12.. upgrade fireweed to 13 and see if people switch around. Image
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Sun Sep 01, 2002 9:57 pm

<B> no ress con loss now, super easy to get prots from spells and eq.... and the game will never wipe...eq will never leave and characters willbe forever uber. sorry if that doesn't fit my idea of fun.

YOUR idea of fun is NOT the same idea as everyone else's.

(And all the goats in the world is happy for that.)

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Sep 02, 2002 2:15 am

die scum! ps. got dorf scale?

------------------

"Forward Mithrilguard!"
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Mon Sep 02, 2002 3:19 am

The solution to this thread is banning Gormal.

omg sucka! Image

Dornax
Jurdex

------------------
The Raven of Wisdom

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
"My Honor is My Life"
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Mon Sep 02, 2002 6:53 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rylan:
<B>The ET mask is already a double-rare quest since you need the item and the quest mob, so I don't see a problem with that.

I fail to see how a single caster fight(same as you have to do to get an earring) even if it is rare, + rareload quest mob equals the stats that that mask has. It is arguably one of the best in game. Personally, I would drop the pfc on it, and if not that, then balance the AC/hit/agi so they were more inline with other objects of the same slot and difficulty to get.

Twinshadow

------------------
Tanji group-says 'Twyl keeps thinkin he rolled a rogue'
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Mon Sep 02, 2002 11:15 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
<B>sentient rescuing gimme a break. a standard autorescue triggerset will be better than 95% of the warriors out there and will keep your group alive in 99% of situations.

a spam rescue alias is usually slower than triggers and fills the queue more often. guessing which player the mob switched too is faster, but if your wrong you lose the 1 command advantage and now your on par with a look rescue trigger. "knowing" whos under ress effect and reclining or whatever is definitely an interesting angle, however, by the time you type the person's name to rescue, a look or hit trigger will have already rescued. i suppose you probably had rescue on that person pretyped huh.

If you wanted to argue manual rescuing is better than trigger rescuing on the basis of quality rescues (rescue the demon off the shaman and not the bunny off the cleric), i could buy that, but your not gonna beat triggers in general.. and even if you do, 10 ms faster is rarely more than bragging rights.

The best imo is one smart non triggered warrior + at least one trigger rescuer. Quality rescues is more important than others but at the same time, the speed of triggers is very hard to beat consistently. if i had to to choose one or the other, id pick the group with trigger rescuing.

Question: How slow do you type? I can crank out even the longest elf's screwed up 18 letter name in less than a second without a problem.

10 ms is not the issue here. The issue is that when you hit your little rescue trigger and it rescues in that order, you end up rescuing the cleric at few scratches before the invoker at pretty hurt. Rescue has a 1 round lag, 1 round on invoker at pretty hurt=dead invoker AND another person to rescue because the mob has since switched and is now happily destroying your illusionist as well.
Also your concern with speed is interesting, but you have it backwards. The trigger rescues would be the ones beating the manual rescues by 10 ms, but you are right, that's not much more than bragging rights. Otherwise, a round is a round is a round, and theres plenty of time for typing rescues in between rounds, unless you really do type that slow, in which case i suggest a few runs through mavis beacon before you head up to jot again. You are entitled to your theory that the warriorbot is superior, but next time your 1 round away from death and your tank rescues the ranger who just got switched to, you have no right to yell at him, because thats what the triggers forced him to do. In fact, there's no sense ever getting mad at warriorbots: they're robots and not people, hell you don't even have to BE at your computer with an autorescue trigger now do you? Human>robot, manual>trigger, if you can't type play a caster and make macros. Use the autorescue warrior if you like, but make sure your cleric has an autoress trigger for when you die. But hey, the ranger will live Image

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Sep 02, 2002 11:50 am

you don't auto rescue melee.

you can get that auto resser out for when you misspell or tab add completes the wrong name.

id also suggest that the main reason you can add value as a manual rescuer is because auto rescues are handling the basic stuff very well. Slow rescues get people killed just as well as bad prioritizing. A good trigger set can prioritize too btw.

------------------
------
Frobakhal
Sojourner

Postby Frobakhal » Wed Sep 04, 2002 6:54 am

<b>Ragorn:

[Like all muds past and future, Sojourn is arms racing. I never thought I'd EVER see the day when a prot-all item was introduced.]</b>

I remember a deep dragon amulet giving all prots on toril for awhile. :P

[This message has been edited by Frobakhal (edited 09-04-2002).]
Frobakhal
Sojourner

Postby Frobakhal » Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:24 am

<bJurdex</b>
<b>I don't have a problem with someone gaining prot-all from wearing numerous items individually.
However, I have always disliked the fact that prot-all on a single item is in the game and not at Tiamat.</b>

Do that and you get people claiming or handing out that only prot-all eq like it's an artifact and you get a lot of pissed players....making it an uber hard quest and you get people who put in enough time to get an uber piece of eq they deserve..not something they decide to show up one day after a long vacation when their best friend is leading tiamat or something. *snicker*
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 am

I disagree.

1) If its the only prot-all items and its at tiamat, it means its not going to be in mass circulation. Tiamat simply isn't done enough.

2) The dragonkind helm would become more attractive and then be on par with some of the other items Tia offers. Gormal even mentioned Dartan bags his dragonkind helm? No tiamat item should ever be bagged imo, unless it is a bag! Image

3) You can still get all prots from eq without having it all on one f'n item. You just had to *gasp* swap eq around. Sojourn is leaning more and more to the theme of "we don't want cookie cutter sets of eq" but then they add prot-all items? To get all prots previously made players swap eq around. This was a good thing.

4) You don't have other area writers clamoring to "best" the current item. I'll make a quest tougher than the clouds robes quest so I can make my prot all item more uber! Groan.

5) Didn't the Gods want items to all be comparable? Not one thing easily better than another? Wtf is comparable to clouds robes? Anything?

Dornax
Jurdex

------------------
The Raven of Wisdom

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
"My Honor is My Life"
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Wed Sep 04, 2002 1:49 pm

There is an on body item I would still want even though I have the robes. Goodies haven't done it yet though.

Interestingly, it took a -lot- longer to get 4 dragonscale robes in the game than it did to get 4 dragonkind helms.

------------------
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager

[This message has been edited by Todrael (edited 09-04-2002).]
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Sep 04, 2002 1:56 pm

good point tod..

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Jorus
Sojourner

Postby Jorus » Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:05 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Waelos:
<B>Gormal:

The solution? I have given what is my best shot at a solution here before and I will repeat it again:

Take the middle path!

LEARN from Buddha!

Meaning: NO absolute negation of effects. No total spell resistance. NO taking 0 damage when shieldblocking or parrying. Make everything scale with skill/saves/ etc.

Perhaps a skill or two can be set aside for absolute negation. . .creating more use for certain classes. . . etc. the possibilities are endless and hopefully fairly obvious. In a world of absolutes you run out of options very very quickly =(

There goes globe!

I wonder how hitters will feel about taking 1%-50% of their damage even when globed! *halo*

Well, I guess globe still chips stone on shieded mobs. Oh well!

Regards,
Jorus
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:09 pm

why is it bad that i bag my dragonkind all the time? 8 hours of zoning vs 20+ hours of questing. hmm

------------------

[Erevan] Our elite team of gods will be watching for equip campers.... beware...
Erevan OOC: 'One god is specifically assigned to Dartan :P'
celara
Sojourner

Postby celara » Fri Sep 06, 2002 6:42 pm

Times are changing. Go play on exile if you wanna remember toril/s2.
Prots? Easy to get? I cant think of anything thats really very soloable that gives prots.
IC has a PFF item and has for years and years. Perhaps its not as hard anymore, but how could you expect it to be?

At least 99% of it you need a big group for.
When you dont wipe, the game gets EQ flooded. Prices go way down. Near end of S2 and toril both, flaming stillettos were trash eq because there were zillions of them. This is the price we pay to never have a player wipe.

The 'new uber EQ', is very hard to get. Im level 50, I have maybe 4 items that are the best i'll ever have, and frankly, I want to see better items come in, so that I have something else to zone for, something to strive for. I would always like to be able to improve my character, I dont ever want to hit a glass ceiling.

What, do you just want to get the best EQ in the game and never have it change so you never have to zone again? Sounds boring to me. Is all you want is to see restrings of every other item in new zones? That doesnt sound very much fun either.

Whoever group-says 'whats that kewl looking item?'
Whoever group-says 'just a gemstone restring.'
Whoever group-says 'oh, boring.'

People want better, they want new. There are quite a few high level players now. The other price of no player wipes. So the high level players take their high-level selves and go do high level zones for high level eq. Why shouldnt they? And as long as there are many many high level players, doing high level zones, high level areas will be written for them to do. It is a fact of the mud. Perhaps zero player wipes effected the mud more than people would think.

The new focus of the mud was to be quest and roleplaying based, and it is to an extend. There are a lot more quests now to be found and done, and there are quests that nobody has even found yet, I can say this for a fact. Unfortunatly with real life issues with the quest gods, there has been a slowdown in questing. Thank goodness Malar still runs FNAT, which I really enjoy.

Addunum: I do not agree with any eq, at all, having all prots.

Celara

------------------
Just as soon as I belong/Then its time I disappear

[This message has been edited by celara (edited 09-06-2002).]
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:23 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Waelos:
<B>Gormal:

The influx of uber hitter eq means nothing. Nothing at all. I could jack my damroll to 75 and I would still pale in comparison to any spellcaster's damage. Except perhaps for the enchanter. Not to sound haughty but I believe I am the hardest hitting melee character in this game, and time and time again I find that in fights the mob I am targeting is say at ph. . . and I glance at 2.mob and if it isn't already at PH it is at nasty wounds. So, my hitting +other hitters in a group = _maybe_ one wound level of damage to one mob. Uh. . .that is out of balance.

See, the problem is. . I can have a hitroll of 40 (yes, I've tried this) and I still miss 75% of my attacks at times. It is really quite silly. Hitroll does not matter vs mob skills. Hasted on smoke wieldling windsong and valhalla Im hitting 3 times a round. My capacity is 6 hits normally (with haste) and up to 24 if I proc alot. Even considering ALL of these factors melee and their equipment is retardedly ineffective when compared to caster abilities. Sure there is MR, but the damage is _so_ high on these spells that missing one or two or even three in a fight really doesnt matter. Force missiles regularly does a whole woundlevel of damage to lvl 50+ mobs. (that is the perception).

Now maybe the influx of 'uber caster eq' is helping to whack out the balance. I don't know. . .maybe casters having 800+ hps or whatever makes them nigh unkillable ? I don't know. I really don't think eq has jack to do with the imbalance in the game.
During Chaos I had all the best eq, some artifacts and 32K hps. Guess what? I STILL GOT OWNED by mobs. single mobs! One giant took off like 5000 hps before I killed it.

In short, eq matters very very little. It is the spells and skills of players and mobs that is the problem.

I definitely think the 1k vitted mages with awesome saves, prots, and AC has a lot to do with zones being easy. So do warriors with insta auto rescuers.... zoned with many 400 hp mages lately or warriors that didn't have rescue triggers?

It also seems that melee damage was decreased when the consecutive hits code was added. Perhaps mobs weren't using defensive skills enough before due to bug, but I didn't see a compelling reason to actually downgrade melee damage. perhaps something needs to be done to offset the loss of damage. Harder hits probably is the best as adding attacks would probably need to be considered carefully and lowering hitroll would probably make no difference (unless you gave high hitrolls a smaller chance of being skill blocked).

and I would defintely like to take a shot at this statement waelos.

"So, my hitting +other hitters in a group = _maybe_ one wound level of damage to one mob. Uh. . .that is out of balance. "

out of balance from your perspective. Didn't the gods decide that mages were gonna do the majority of the dam? Is damage so out of balance that you can not do most zones with hitter damage (not just as well, but possible)? Are the exp tables balanced to support your desire to augment melee damage in comparsion to spell damage? last time i checked it was insanely easy to level a melee damage based class especially one with archery.

Melee hitters are viable, they are not optimal in 95% of zones. Melee damage was never meant to be the optimal source of damage. However being less than optimal does not equal worthless... and I do not believe that there are many groups that dont have at least one melee hitter. How many groups consider 2 or 3 enchanters optimal?

short story. went to jot today, on silverwing it was nice for our group to land 3 total force missiles with 2 50 invokers and 1 40. As a shaman, I managed to land 1 out of 8 damage spells and 0 out of 6 hex/silences.

there is a place for melee damage, perhaps not as prominent as force missiles, full heal, and dragonscales, but definitely a place.

------------------
------
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Sep 08, 2002 8:06 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jurdex:
<B>I have always disliked the fact that prot-all on a single item is in the game and not at Tiamat.

Just my opinion.

Dornax
Jurdex

I agree mightily.

------------------
Muma tells you 'schpank?'

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”